#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was there last week. The feeling sucks, but I'm really glad I'm not in waiting flux anymore because that was undoubtedly the most stressed out I've been in my entire life. I've finally been able to take my mind away from waiting and started working towards reapp and I have to say it's been way better on this side. Get a good night's rest and then get to work tomorrow! When you're 65 and your colleagues are 63-64 it won't make a difference, so think of the next year or two as a stepping stone towards bigger and better things :)

Thankful for you and everyone on here who has been so supportive. Love you guys! Thanks for helping me thru some heartache

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I can now stop obsessively checking this thread. I've checked it almost daily from inception.
Banana got in, whatsupdr got in, chocolate got in, xxthatdog got in, cmo. I am sad that angelyka, bisonbison, takeonme, splishsplash, madscientist, aki, mastiffs and beachblondie (did I miss someone) haven't yet got in but am confident that you will.

And I just want to remind bananafish that I knew you were going to get in. Wish I'd bet you money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can now stop obsessively checking this thread. I've checked it almost daily from inception.
Banana got in, whatsupdr got in, chocolate got in, xxthatdog got in, cmo. I am sad that angelyka, bisonbison, takeonme, splishsplash, madscientist, aki, mastiffs and beachblondie (did I miss someone) haven't yet got in but am confident that you will.

And I just want to remind bananafish that I knew you were going to get in. Wish I'd bet you money.
Thanks so much for your support! Still hoping, though I've moved on with other plans.

Reactions: 1 users
Huge congrats @chocolate23, completely missed this over holiday weekend till someone else made reference to it recently!!

Not in either... Can i play with you guys?

Now volunteering full time and working 24 hours each week with 100 minute commutes each way... At least im getting a lot of reading done :D

Thanks :biglove:The support here is amazing. I'm also trying my best to move on. My first-choice backup plan has fallen through which makes this even more sad. But I'm brainstorming new ideas. So, chins up! Best of luck and all my love to everyone starting med school, still waiting and/or reapplying!

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you all for believing in me when I had lost hope!

Reactions: 4 users
Orientation at my school is a week and a half away. In my mind, I call this cycle a wash. I've been waitlisted twice now.

I'm not good at giving motivational speeches, but what I wanted to impart to you all is to not give up. I've been on SDN for a long time, reforging my career path and rerouting to converge with medicine. After 7.5 years post-making the decision to pursue this career, I won't be getting my white coat just yet and, sometimes, it feels like I'm no closer than when I started...

But, then I think about where I am. I think about how many people couldn't hack it in the first semester of pre-reqs; I think about how many people dropped out of my post-bacc program; I think of how many people just couldn't figure out how to conquer the MCAT. But, we're not those people. We've made it past hurdle after hurdle after hurdle. We've been in the trenches on interview day, and we've come out the other side with the good fortune to still be considered for a seat, even if it is late in the game.

YOU have what it takes -- you've already been interviewed which means you're not a hopeless case. But, there are simply too many well-qualified candidates to make room for all. So, yes, it is partially a numbers game. And, yes, you need to now recollect your thoughts and figure out how to create more of an edge for yourself (whether it be academically, retaking the MCAT, brushing up on your interview skills). So, if you want it--and you're doing this for the right reasons--then fight for it. This future is yours for the taking, but there is sometimes a storm to be weathered. And, frankly, medicine needs good people like you who want to serve so passionately.

For the sake of inspiration, I'd like to introduce you to @familyaerospace who gained admission on their 4th round of applying, nearly gearing down for a 5th. Perseverance and preparation CAN take you where you need to be.

Good luck, my friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Orientation at my school is a week and a half away. In my mind, I call this cycle a wash. I've been waitlisted twice now.

I'm not good at giving motivational speeches, but what I wanted to impart to you all is to not give up. I've been on SDN for a long time, reforging my career path and rerouting to converge with medicine. After 7.5 years post-making the decision to pursue this career, I won't be getting my white coat just yet and, sometimes, it feels like I'm no closer than when I started...

But, then I think about where I am. I think about how many people couldn't hack it in the first semester of pre-reqs; I think about how many people dropped out of my post-bacc program; I think of how many people just couldn't figure out how to conquer the MCAT. But, we're not those people. We've made it past hurdle after hurdle after hurdle. We've been in the trenches on interview day, and we've come out the other side with the good fortune to still be considered for a seat, even if it is late in the game.

YOU have what it takes -- you've already been interviewed which means you're not a hopeless case. But, there are simply too many well-qualified candidates to make room for all. So, yes, it is partially a numbers game. And, yes, you need to now recollect your thoughts and figure out how to create more of an edge for yourself (whether it be academically, retaking the MCAT, brushing up on your interview skills). So, if you want it--and you're doing this for the right reasons--then fight for it. This future is yours for the taking, but there is sometimes a storm to be weathered. And, frankly, medicine needs good people like you who want to serve so passionately.

For the sake of inspiration, I'd like to introduce you to @familyaerospace who gained admission on their 4th round of applying, nearly gearing down for a 5th. Perseverance and preparation CAN take you where you need to be.

Good luck, my friends.
Thanks. I needed this today :happy:

The class is full and there is no time to retake the MCAT. I will either have to apply for 2018 or give up. I am choosing the latter. It's been too much of a stressful journey for me. I hope the rest of you do well!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Ahh - So much love on this thread! Thank you, @precisiongraphic

We have about ~1-2 weeks left. & for those of us who don't get off the wait list this cycle, you are going to KILL it for the 2017 cycle.

This experience will only make us ALL better! (regardless of what path we end up choosing! @Angelyka)
Persevere, guys. Persevere. :p

Reactions: 7 users
The class is full and there is no time to retake the MCAT. I will either have to apply for 2018 or give up. I am choosing the latter. It's been too much of a stressful journey for me. I hope the rest of you do well!

Good luck on your journey!

Members don't see this ad :)

After going through this two times and being told explicitly that if I do well in a medical school's Master's program that I should be good to go (and I'm still twiddling my thumbs waiting for the call), I'm right there with you. I've already crafted several PA applications for this cycle as a back-up as I await my wait listed school's final decision.... At the end of the day, I've decided that my passions are people, proper health, and diagnosis/treatment and however I get there is fine by me. I'm literally uncomfortable at times as I do this "adulting" thing as a researcher because I know I want to be in school doing a completely different career path. People keep saying that I'm young and have time at the age of 23, and while that may be true, it doesn't make it any easier. If medicine is truly your dream job/passion, stay strong with it! There's plenty of ways to do what you want to do. Best of luck to you, and everyone on this thread!

Reactions: 4 users

This in itself is an accomplishment, too! You made a decision to keep moving forward, perhaps in another direction. Given your resilience so far, I'm sure you'll be successful in anything you pursue :)

I guess that's all for this week folks. We got one (or maybe two) weeks left so lets hope one of us becomes that guy or girl who gets in the day before orientation!

Reactions: 8 users

Good luck, my friends.
how many times did you reapply to the same schools? did you keep changing your school list or no?

how many times did you reapply to the same schools? did you keep changing your school list or no?

I've applied during 1.10 cycles, I would say. I applied once, to 20 schools, and was waitlisted (it should be noted that I'm a Cali resident....oof). I decided to begin a Master's to beef up the one deficit in my application and asked one of the Deans at the waitlisted school-in-question if the Master's would be looked upon favorably. He told me that because I was so close to getting in the previous time, that I should take the Master's and apply, concurrently, to that school and one other (geographically close) because I had a good shot at getting in. So, I applied to 2 this most recent cycle and was waitlisted again.

My plan now is to finish this Master's, retake an expiring MCAT, and apply again (for real, this time) next summer.

Now, before anyone says, "Well, maybe you need to work on your interview skills," I'll politely stop you. My interviews are fine -- last year, I even had an interviewer tightly grab my hand, stare me in the face, and say, "You're going to make an excellent doctor." 100% true. My problem is that my post-bacc was taken a while ago and I earned B's -- all B's -- because I was researching 50 hours per week, while taking class, to financially support my father who was battling cancer and losing his home.

Do I think it kind of sucks that the admissions staff stood at the podium on interview day and said, "Now, you're all here because we think you are capable academically..." then waitlist me based on academics (confirmed)? Definitely. But, they gotta do what they gotta do. And I now know how I need to assure these folks.

Just finished my first year in a heavy science Master's with a 4.0. So, I'm going to keep trucking and see what happens!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Huge congrats @chocolate23, completely missed this over holiday weekend till someone else made reference to it recently!!

thank you so much! I am sorry for the delay in writing on here guys - school has started for me already and I am literally bombarded with work. If anyone got in recently, do let me know! and if anyone else is still waiting/going on into the new cycle - good luck. I know one day you will be a doctor. It took me 3 cycles and I am 29 starting off with a class ranging from age 20 - age 40. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how old you are. It doesn't matter when you entered medical school. And it doesn't matter where you went (as long as it is in the USA, I am not hating on international schools but I think everyone understands the value of a USA medical degree). You will be a doctor one day!

I hope y'all are doing well! miss the random comments of this group that we used to have haha!

Reactions: 9 users
thank you so much! I am sorry for the delay in writing on here guys - school has started for me already and I am literally bombarded with work. If anyone got in recently, do let me know! and if anyone else is still waiting/going on into the new cycle - good luck. I know one day you will be a doctor. It took me 3 cycles and I am 29 starting off with a class ranging from age 20 - age 40. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how old you are. It doesn't matter when you entered medical school. And it doesn't matter where you went (as long as it is in the USA, I am not hating on international schools but I think everyone understands the value of a USA medical degree). You will be a doctor one day!

I hope y'all are doing well! miss the random comments of this group that we used to have haha!
So you ended up becoming a medical student before all of us! Funny how life works sometimes.

Reactions: 6 users
I've applied during 1.10 cycles, I would say. I applied once, to 20 schools, and was waitlisted (it should be noted that I'm a Cali resident....oof). I decided to begin a Master's to beef up the one deficit in my application and asked one of the Deans at the waitlisted school-in-question if the Master's would be looked upon favorably. He told me that because I was so close to getting in the previous time, that I should take the Master's and apply, concurrently, to that school and one other (geographically close) because I had a good shot at getting in. So, I applied to 2 this most recent cycle and was waitlisted again.

My plan now is to finish this Master's, retake an expiring MCAT, and apply again (for real, this time) next summer.

Now, before anyone says, "Well, maybe you need to work on your interview skills," I'll politely stop you. My interviews are fine -- last year, I even had an interviewer tightly grab my hand, stare me in the face, and say, "You're going to make an excellent doctor." 100% true. My problem is that my post-bacc was taken a while ago and I earned B's -- all B's -- because I was researching 50 hours per week, while taking class, to financially support my father who was battling cancer and losing his home.

Do I think it kind of sucks that the admissions staff stood at the podium on interview day and said, "Now, you're all here because we think you are capable academically..." then waitlist me based on academics (confirmed)? Definitely. But, they gotta do what they gotta do. And I now know how I need to assure these folks.

Just finished my first year in a heavy science Master's with a 4.0. So, I'm going to keep trucking and see what happens!

I feel bad for you man, and now that you have the 4.0 from your Master's you should be good to go. I think I will show this post whenever somebody spreads the myth that once you get an interview, all that matters is the interview.

I feel bad for you man, and now that you have the 4.0 from your Master's you should be good to go. I think I will show this post whenever somebody spreads the myth that once you get an interview, all that matters is the interview.
I'm afraid that Master's grades are considered entirely separately and are not a significant contributor to an interview at MD programs (despite what she was told). I wish I could do to more to dispel this belief...
SMP's are a different category with a different risk profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid that Master's grades are considered entirely separately and are not a significant contributor to an interview at MD programs.

Was about to say, unless you're doing an SMP. But you clearly have the background to get you to interviews, so it could help with being that final push, especially along with your new MCAT if you show improvement. At any rate, your application will undoubtedly be stronger in a year's time, so I would definitely try your hand once more before throwing in the towel

@chocolate23 29 isn't even old! At one of my interviews, there was a guy in his 50s there. His daughter had just finished medical school, and he thought it looked like fun. I don't know if that was his answer when asked why medicine (I hope not), but the point is that age doesn't matter. You might feel a bit older than some of your more immature classmates, but that says more about them than you. Also, sometimes life experience is an asset. My last roommate was just out of college and was so useless in the adult world that it was kind of adorable. There are lots of premeds in the lab I'd been working in that were kind of the same. Being on such a specific path from such a young age meant they didn't have much general life experience, and from having worked with them quite a lot, I don't think there's any way it won't come out in their interviews. There are times as a non-traditional applicant that I wish more people going into medicine had a few years out of college to figure their stuff out. Maybe people would be more well rounded going in?

Anyway, I'm in at a DO school! Tulane was my goal, and I went in thinking I'd be extremely competitive there (I'm a Tulane alum with a great GPA from a very demanding grad school program (I wish I'd been on here before I signed up for that program, or had decent undergrad advising... As @gyngyn has pointed out, getting a master's isn't always a great move...) with great ECs and even better LORs from people within the medical school), but it really doesn't look like it's going to happen for me. Because I love the school (and the city) so much, there are parts of me that have been tempted to reapply, but I won't be doing so. It was my only allopathic interview (which should tell you all you need to know about my undergrad work), and passing up an American med school spot is just plain foolish in that sort of situation. When I quit my job (research), my PI was less than complimentary of DO programs (he told me several times to reapply because being a "real doctor" at 40 is better than being a DO at 30). Anyway, if Tulane calls, I'll abandon my seat, and whoever gets off the waitlist can have it. And the apartment that I already signed a lease for. And the furniture that I bought.

To quickly touch on the application process, I really appreciate all of you. The laid back, supportive atmosphere here has been a godsend during this whole mess. You've put up with my nonsense (even badly photoshopped pictures), and given me hope that when I finally get into the field, it will be filled with people like you, rather than with entitled, socially inept people (@NeuroticPremedGuy your old roommate is the sort I'm talking about), academic elitists, and the sort of people you wouldn't call for a second date. If even half of the people getting in have y'all's mentalities, medicine is heading great places

Reading all of that, it sounds like I'm giving up on SDN. I'm not. Not even close. In fact, I'm learning how to make gifs....

Reactions: 15 users
I'm afraid that Master's grades are considered entirely separately and are not a significant contributor to an interview at MD programs (despite what she was told). I wish I could do to more to dispel this belief...
why are masters less valuable than SMP? what if the masters classes you take are crosslisted as upper level undergrad courses?

why are masters less valuable than SMP? what if the masters classes you take are crosslisted as upper level undergrad courses?

For (many) SMPs, you're literally taking medical school courses sitting next to real medical students and competing with them for grades. A 4.0 in that sort of program would be much more compelling than a 4.0 from a program that may or may not be struck with grade inflation, as many traditional master's programs are. The more research heavy the traditional masters is, however, the more substantial it is seen by most adcoms. But an SMP obviously trumps the majority of traditional programs.

It's not that they are less valuable. What is learned can still be valuable to the student (certainly more valuable should they not apply to medical school). Master's grades do not remediate a weak undergrad performance, though.
You are expected to get an "A" in a regular Master's degree (and most applicants do not have this point as a comparator). Thus, Master's degree grades are not considered comparable to undergrad grades.
Those of us who have Master's degrees and have taught in these courses know that an A is the usual grade.

It's not that they are less valuable. What is learned can still be valuable to the student (certainly more valuable should they not apply to medical school). Master's grades do not remediate a weak undergrad performance, though.
You are expected to get an "A" in a regular Master's degree (and most applicants do not have this point as a comparator). Thus, Master's degree grades are not considered comparable to undergrad grades.
Those of us who have Master's degrees and have taught in these courses know that an A is the usual grade.
in the masters i did some students were struggling to pass (B grade) but the seminar courses almost everyone got As. i think it may depend on the program. the non seminar courses i took definitely did not have inflation and the avg was a B-

in the masters i did some students were struggling to pass (B grade) but the seminar courses almost everyone got As. i think it may depend on the program. the non seminar courses i took definitely did not have inflation and the avg was a B-
I'm sure that rigor varies. The perception that A's are the norm is pervasive, though. A "B" is seen as bad as an F (or at least a D).

I'm sure that rigor varies. The perception that A's are the norm is pervasive, though. A "B" is seen as bad as an F (or at least a D).
how are professional masters viewed prior to med school like MBA or MPH or social work etc.?

@chocolate23 29 isn't even old! At one of my interviews, there was a guy in his 50s there. His daughter had just finished medical school, and he thought it looked like fun. I don't know if that was his answer when asked why medicine (I hope not), but the point is that age doesn't matter. You might feel a bit older than some of your more immature classmates, but that says more about them than you. Also, sometimes life experience is an asset. My last roommate was just out of college and was so useless in the adult world that it was kind of adorable. There are lots of premeds in the lab I'd been working in that were kind of the same. Being on such a specific path from such a young age meant they didn't have much general life experience, and from having worked with them quite a lot, I don't think there's any way it won't come out in their interviews. There are times as a non-traditional applicant that I wish more people going into medicine had a few years out of college to figure their stuff out. Maybe people would be more well rounded going in?

Anyway, I'm in at a DO school! Tulane was my goal, and I went in thinking I'd be extremely competitive there (I'm a Tulane alum with a great GPA from a very demanding grad school program (I wish I'd been on here before I signed up for that program, or had decent undergrad advising... As @gyngyn has pointed out, getting a master's isn't always a great move...) with great ECs and even better LORs from people within the medical school), but it really doesn't look like it's going to happen for me. Because I love the school (and the city) so much, there are parts of me that have been tempted to reapply, but I won't be doing so. It was my only allopathic interview (which should tell you all you need to know about my undergrad work), and passing up an American med school spot is just plain foolish in that sort of situation. When I quit my job (research), my PI was less than complimentary of DO programs (he told me several times to reapply because being a "real doctor" at 40 is better than being a DO at 30). Anyway, if Tulane calls, I'll abandon my seat, and whoever gets off the waitlist can have it. And the apartment that I already signed a lease for. And the furniture that I bought.

To quickly touch on the application process, I really appreciate all of you. The laid back, supportive atmosphere here has been a godsend during this whole mess. You've put up with my nonsense (even badly photoshopped pictures), and given me hope that when I finally get into the field, it will be filled with people like you, rather than with entitled, socially inept people (@NeuroticPremedGuy your old roommate is the sort I'm talking about), academic elitists, and the sort of people you wouldn't call for a second date. If even half of the people getting in have y'all's mentalities, medicine is heading great places

Reading all of that, it sounds like I'm giving up on SDN. I'm not. Not even close. In fact, I'm learning how to make gifs....
YOU'RE IN?!?!?!? Congrats Dr. Splish Splash! I know DO wasn't your first choice, but if you get to be a doctor, how much does it matter what letters come after your name? Also, your PI sounds a bit toxic. Just saying....

You've put up with my nonsense (even badly photoshopped pictures), and given me hope that when I finally get into the field, it will be filled with people like you, rather than with entitled, socially inept people (@NeuroticPremedGuy your old roommate is the sort I'm talking about), academic elitists, and the sort of people you wouldn't call for a second date.
I guess that leaves me out

It's Monday! Good luck folks

So, this Master's won't be worth much even in consideration of the fact that it's at a rigorous program and is similar material to MS-1 work (biochem, cell bio, neurobio, etc.)? Hell, even though it's designed for career bench scientists (and is thesis-based), there's even a pre-med advisor and opportunity for a committee letter!

It's so confusing to wade through this information. I hold your opinion in high regard, gyngyn, which makes it all the more convoluted for me when I hear that a girl who recently graduated from our program was granted 7 interviews--after previously receiving none--and the places she interviewed (e.g., Dartmouth) told her that completing the Master's was absolutely the right thing to do because she had a low undergraduate GPA.

Last edited:

Congrats, Dr. Splish!!!

So, this Master's won't be worth much even in consideration of the fact that it's at a rigorous program and is similar material to MS-1 work (biochem, cell bio, neurobio, etc.)? Hell, even though it's designed for career bench scientists (and is thesis-based), there's even a pre-med advisor and opportunity for a committee letter!

It's so confusing to wade through this information. I hold your opinion in high regard, gyngyn, which makes it all the more convoluted for me when I hear that a girl who recently graduated from our program was granted 7 interviews--after previously receiving none--and the places she interviewed (e.g., Dartmouth) told her that completing the Master's was absolutely the right thing to do because she had a low undergraduate GPA.
I'm so sorry.
I wish I had an explanation for what happened with your friend. Maybe this particular program has special meaning at some set of schools and I just don't know anything about it...

I'm so sorry.
I wish I had an explanation for what happened with your friend. Maybe this particular program has special meaning at some set of schools and I just don't know anything about it...

Nah, I'm sure your experience likely trumps n=1. The only thing I can do is finish strong and put it out there to see if anyone bites *sigh*

I'm so sorry.
i think different masters programs may be viewed differently by some schools. perhaps doing well in a masters can help you in regional schools but non regional schools may not be familiar with the program and just assume there is grade inflation. i have also heard about students getting more interviews after doing well in a masters, @BeachBlondie

what program is this?

i feel like getting As in that program has to show something to med schools about an applicants mental capacity and work ethic

Well, I chose it less for the namesake and more for its capacity for in-depth learning of the subject material -- I really liked the courses offered and that it's tailored to those pursuing lab science. I suppose only time will tell.

Last edited:
And at the eleventh goddamn hour I got in. I'm pretty sure I'm the last one accepted in my class!

Reactions: 43 users