#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And at the eleventh goddamn hour I got in. I'm pretty sure I'm the last one accepted in my class!
congratulations!! Lots of love from Canada!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@chocolate23 29 isn't even old! At one of my interviews, there was a guy in his 50s there. His daughter had just finished medical school, and he thought it looked like fun. I don't know if that was his answer when asked why medicine (I hope not), but the point is that age doesn't matter. You might feel a bit older than some of your more immature classmates, but that says more about them than you. Also, sometimes life experience is an asset. My last roommate was just out of college and was so useless in the adult world that it was kind of adorable. There are lots of premeds in the lab I'd been working in that were kind of the same. Being on such a specific path from such a young age meant they didn't have much general life experience, and from having worked with them quite a lot, I don't think there's any way it won't come out in their interviews. There are times as a non-traditional applicant that I wish more people going into medicine had a few years out of college to figure their stuff out. Maybe people would be more well rounded going in?

Anyway, I'm in at a DO school! Tulane was my goal, and I went in thinking I'd be extremely competitive there (I'm a Tulane alum with a great GPA from a very demanding grad school program (I wish I'd been on here before I signed up for that program, or had decent undergrad advising... As @gyngyn has pointed out, getting a master's isn't always a great move...) with great ECs and even better LORs from people within the medical school), but it really doesn't look like it's going to happen for me. Because I love the school (and the city) so much, there are parts of me that have been tempted to reapply, but I won't be doing so. It was my only allopathic interview (which should tell you all you need to know about my undergrad work), and passing up an American med school spot is just plain foolish in that sort of situation. When I quit my job (research), my PI was less than complimentary of DO programs (he told me several times to reapply because being a "real doctor" at 40 is better than being a DO at 30). Anyway, if Tulane calls, I'll abandon my seat, and whoever gets off the waitlist can have it. And the apartment that I already signed a lease for. And the furniture that I bought.

To quickly touch on the application process, I really appreciate all of you. The laid back, supportive atmosphere here has been a godsend during this whole mess. You've put up with my nonsense (even badly photoshopped pictures), and given me hope that when I finally get into the field, it will be filled with people like you, rather than with entitled, socially inept people (@NeuroticPremedGuy your old roommate is the sort I'm talking about), academic elitists, and the sort of people you wouldn't call for a second date. If even half of the people getting in have y'all's mentalities, medicine is heading great places

Reading all of that, it sounds like I'm giving up on SDN. I'm not. Not even close. In fact, I'm learning how to make gifs....
FRIEND! I'm in the same position. Got into NYCOM even though was hoping for an allopathic program. When I told one of the physicians I was shadowing that I got into a DO program, she said, "Now get into a real med school." :( I know this sounds really greedy, but part of me is still hoping for an MD acceptance. (Plus I fell in love with Upstate's children's hospital.) If Upstate gives me that "yes", I'll be giving away my seat at NYCOM in a heartbeat. For now, I've been focusing on my part-time job, working on my own website...and checking SDN continuously. :p I hope everything works out for you and everyone else on SDN. I feel like I've connected with so many others this cycle and I regret not doing that my first time applying. The support here is great!

@chocolate23 29 isn't even old! At one of my interviews, there was a guy in his 50s there. His daughter had just finished medical school, and he thought it looked like fun. I don't know if that was his answer when asked why medicine (I hope not), but the point is that age doesn't matter. You might feel a bit older than some of your more immature classmates, but that says more about them than you. Also, sometimes life experience is an asset. My last roommate was just out of college and was so useless in the adult world that it was kind of adorable. There are lots of premeds in the lab I'd been working in that were kind of the same. Being on such a specific path from such a young age meant they didn't have much general life experience, and from having worked with them quite a lot, I don't think there's any way it won't come out in their interviews. There are times as a non-traditional applicant that I wish more people going into medicine had a few years out of college to figure their stuff out. Maybe people would be more well rounded going in?

Anyway, I'm in at a DO school! Tulane was my goal, and I went in thinking I'd be extremely competitive there (I'm a Tulane alum with a great GPA from a very demanding grad school program (I wish I'd been on here before I signed up for that program, or had decent undergrad advising... As @gyngyn has pointed out, getting a master's isn't always a great move...) with great ECs and even better LORs from people within the medical school), but it really doesn't look like it's going to happen for me. Because I love the school (and the city) so much, there are parts of me that have been tempted to reapply, but I won't be doing so. It was my only allopathic interview (which should tell you all you need to know about my undergrad work), and passing up an American med school spot is just plain foolish in that sort of situation. When I quit my job (research), my PI was less than complimentary of DO programs (he told me several times to reapply because being a "real doctor" at 40 is better than being a DO at 30). Anyway, if Tulane calls, I'll abandon my seat, and whoever gets off the waitlist can have it. And the apartment that I already signed a lease for. And the furniture that I bought.

To quickly touch on the application process, I really appreciate all of you. The laid back, supportive atmosphere here has been a godsend during this whole mess. You've put up with my nonsense (even badly photoshopped pictures), and given me hope that when I finally get into the field, it will be filled with people like you, rather than with entitled, socially inept people (@NeuroticPremedGuy your old roommate is the sort I'm talking about), academic elitists, and the sort of people you wouldn't call for a second date. If even half of the people getting in have y'all's mentalities, medicine is heading great places

Reading all of that, it sounds like I'm giving up on SDN. I'm not. Not even close. In fact, I'm learning how to make gifs....
Congratulations! Given how xxxthatdog got in his MD school after he paid $900+ to apply for 2016-2017 and @bananafish94 got in after writing his personal statement for 2016-2017, maybe getting in to your DO dream school may trigger an acceptance at Tulane. Either way, you're gonna be a doctor - and a good one!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations! Given how xxxthatdog got in his MD school after he paid $900+ to apply for 2016-2017 and @bananafish94 got in after writing his personal statement for 2016-2017, maybe getting in to your DO dream school may trigger an acceptance at Tulane. Either way, you're gonna be a doctor - and a good one!

Murphy's Law! I tried initiating some favorable Murphy's Law and have been thus far unsuccessful. HOWEVER, we've recently had a user get accepted 20 hours before orientation, and I know someone who was accepted 40 minutes before orientation (yes, minutes!) last year!

It ain't over until it's over!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats purplecricket!!

Lmao I triggered Murphy's Law for my acceptance. I got in a matter of days after I paid the deposit for a PhD program/started research for it. Best $100 I've ever lost.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Adding to the idea that acceptances literally come from the most unexpected times. I had completely rewritten my PS, opened up a new AMCAS, and sent in my app+fee for a post-bac and then got accepted a few days after that. You never know what's going to happen!

at this point, im pretty sure im not going to be booking a last minute flight to tulane

Members don't see this ad :)
my friend got into a DO school with 36 hours to spare . . . it really happens

Reactions: 8 users
I really want to be that person who gets in right before orientation. Hell, even on orientation day...
I'm less than an hour away from my WL school - If they called, i'd be there! (HINT HINT adcoms)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I really want to be that person who gets in right before orientation. Hell, even on orientation day...
I'm less than an hour away from my WL school - If they called, and i'd be there! (HINT HINT adcoms)
lol I was just thinking that! I am 4-5 hours away from my WL school... but if they accept me, even during orientation, I'd jump in my car and be there in no time flat! :D

Reactions: 5 users
I'm less than an hour away from my WL school - If they called, i'd be there! (HINT HINT adcoms)
I hear that! I'm 2 exits away! *awkward wink at adcom*

lol I was just thinking that! I am 4-5 hours away from my WL school... but if they accept me, even during orientation, I'd jump in my car and be there in no time flat! :D
Can't drive on highway...yet...but I'd take the next train out of the city for mine!

Also. I thought I'd share a cool fact I found online. (I have my own blog of little facts.) Hope you guys like it. :3

Did you know that Caterpie is based on the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail caterpillar? Its swollen thorax is green and decorated with two large spots. These spots and the large thorax make the caterpillar's body look like a head. When the caterpillar is attacked, its osmeterium (a fleshy organ that releases smelly odors) becomes inverted and protrudes out of its head. It makes the caterpillar resemble a snake's head. Now to test if you're really a Pokemon fan...what color is the osmeterium?

Reactions: 1 users
Also. I thought I'd share a cool fact I found online. (I have my own blog of little facts.) Hope you guys like it. :3

Did you know that Caterpie is based on the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail caterpillar? Its swollen thorax is green and decorated with two large spots. These spots and the large thorax make the caterpillar's body look like a head. When the caterpillar is attacked, its osmeterium (a fleshy organ that releases smelly odors) becomes inverted and protrudes out of its head. It makes the caterpillar resemble a snake's head. Now to test if you're really a Pokemon fan...what color is the osmeterium?

red?

and adcom at my WL...I'm literally a block away...you can call me 5 minutes before orientation start in the middle of a hurricane and I'll still be there on time fully dressed...because ill be wearing business casual starting 24 hours prior just in case you do call me 5 minutes ahead

Reactions: 3 users
btw i know a friend that got in first day of class which is after the 2-3 day orientation. which is not good for me because now I'm holding hope until first day of class

Can we make a pact? For the people who are reapplying, can you post here when you get in? It would be really nice to see the update of good news from some of the familiar avatars in the 2015-2016 cycle once this cycle is over.

Reactions: 12 users
red?

and adcom at my WL...I'm literally a block away...you can call me 5 minutes before orientation start in the middle of a hurricane and I'll still be there on time fully dressed...because ill be wearing business casual starting 24 hours prior just in case you do call me 5 minutes ahead
Reddish orange. :3

Can we make a pact? For the people who are reapplying, can you post here when you get in? It would be really nice to see the update of good news from some of the familiar avatars in the 2015-2016 cycle once this cycle is over.
I'll check this in a year just to see where you guys get accepted to!

I'm down!

Probably the last monday we have left folks so lets make it count!

Good luck everyone. It's been an honor waiting with y'all. Hope I'll have the chance to work with some of you in person one day. You are all going to be amazing doctors, whether you get in this year or the next. XOXO:love:

Reactions: 7 users
Today marks the end of my road. Good luck y'all and see you in the class of 2022!

Today marks the end of my road. Good luck y'all and see you in the class of 2022!

Me, too -- I'm also applying next summer. God's speed, ye weary travelers!

Last edited:
What are the rules for waitlist? If you matriculate at one school then you can't go to the one that accepts you off waitlist later? Is this before or after orientation?

Good luck to all who got in and those reapplying!
You can take any waitlist position until orientation starts at the school where you have already been accepted.

You can take any waitlist position until orientation starts at the school where you have already been accepted.
I heard you can take a waitlist position as long as classes haven't started. Or at least that's what I was told.

Nope. Orientation.
Ah...I guess this means good-bye Upstate. I have orientation at a DO school in two days. Don't think that miracle is happening tomorrow. Thank you for clearing that up!

Ah...I guess this means good-bye Upstate. I have orientation at a DO school in two days. Don't think that miracle is happening tomorrow. Thank you for clearing that up!
I think your situation is a little bit different. I've heard stories about people initially started classes at a DO school who end up getting off of the WL at a MD school. They were still allow to drop their seat at the DO school to attend the MD school. I think what they were talking about above pertains to MD to MD

I think your situation is a little bit different. I've heard stories about people initially started classes at a DO school who end up getting off of the WL at a MD school. They were still allow to drop their seat at the DO school to attend the MD school. I think what they were talking about above pertains to MD to MD
Oh! Yeah. I heard about students dropping from our school the day before class...but I'm not sure if the rules have changed. I know for sure you can't do that with MD schools. :p

Same predicament, DO orientation this week, at waitlisted MD it's in 2 weeks. Oh well, chances were slim and I'm happy with where I am.
ANOTHER FRIEND! I'm happy but still a bit heartbroken. Really liked the MD school. The orientations are only a day apart but who knows what will happen.

Orientation at an MD school is the traffic rule. You can be pulled from a DO school at any time.

@gyngyn I'm just curious. How common do medical schools pull off students within a week of orientation/first day of class? Also, what common reasons for this to happen? I'm assuming poaching is unlikely to happen this late in the game.

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted at:
Albert Einstein (interviewed nov 23)
Morehouse (interviewed dec 4)
West Virginia (interviewed mid January)
Case western (interviewed early February)
Buffalo (interviewed April 6)

if you dont mind me asking what were you asked in your einstein interview?

@gyngyn I'm just curious. How common do medical schools pull off students within a week of orientation/first day of class? Also, what common reasons for this to happen? I'm assuming poaching is unlikely to happen this late in the game.
I see it about every 3 years here, but I see a lot more movement at other schools.
It's usually poaching.

I'm on a ranked waitlist and found out Monday that I'm next in line if anyone drops! Orientation starts next Monday though.. really hoping for a last minute push!! :xf:Even if it's the morning of!!

It's been a long few months on the waitlist.. Past students have made an excel sheet showing how far the waitlist has gone the last 10 years and all but 2 years they reached my number. Of course this year is a slow year :dead: It will be really disappointing to be so close but so far. I'm sure you guys understand the feeling
~ Maco we are thinking good thoughts for you!

I'm on a ranked waitlist and found out Monday that I'm next in line if anyone drops! Orientation starts next Monday though.. really hoping for a last minute push!! :xf:Even if it's the morning of!!

It's been a long few months on the waitlist.. Past students have made an excel sheet showing how far the waitlist has gone the last 10 years and all but 2 years they reached my number. Of course this year is a slow year :dead: It will be really disappointing to be so close but so far. I'm sure you guys understand the feeling
Personally, ignorance is bliss. I would hate knowing I was next in line on a wait list and then having orientation come and go. Then again, Tufts' wait list is unranked, which I can appreciate, but totally sucks. Best of luck to you either way!! Good vibes coming your way.

It's been a crazy ride everyone. Congrats to those that ended up getting in and good luck to those applying again this year! Hoping to have a thread that gives the same sense of solidarity when I'm going through the process again next year :)

Oh and long live the bananafish

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's it for me folks! On to the next cycle.. Echoing @sss1219 Congrats to everyone starting med school this month and good luck to the rest of us! All of you are amazing and any medical school would be LUCKY to have you :biglove:

I just want to say to everyone on this thread that I think you're wonderful people. No decision from a medical school will ever change that, and there is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that all of you will go remarkably far in life.

Reactions: 13 users
in an alternate universe far far away....today would be a very important day....

Well, got the axe today. Good luck to everyone and their future endeavors. If I ever get accepted (hah) I will post it in this thread!
#WaitlistedAndProud.