Waitlisters: we're declining our spots at X school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I will be declining my offer at this school, so be patient.

• Total voters

DentalGunner

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you plan on declining a school, feel free to let the waitlisters at that school breathe a sigh of relief.

Members don't see this ad.

Damnit. One more spot at Louisville.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be declining Pitt and UDM. Good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
This may seem dumb but I've been wondering since the beginning of the cycle why so many people decline CASE. I had heard rumors that CASE accepts a lot of interviewees because they know that a lot of people choose not to go there. And honestly, going into my interview I wasn't expecting much because of everything I had heard. I was so surprised when I ended up loving CASE. First off, they're the only school that I've been to that gets you working on patients your first semester (with the sealants program) and everyone there was so friendly. The hybrid PBL/traditional curriculum seems pretty good too.

So do you think people mostly decline CASE because of its location? Or is there something bad about the program that I'm missing?

Thanks!

This may seem dumb but I've been wondering since the beginning of the cycle why so many people decline CASE. I had heard rumors that CASE accepts a lot of interviewees because they know that a lot of people choose not to go there. And honestly, going into my interview I wasn't expecting much because of everything I had heard. I was so surprised when I ended up loving CASE. First off, they're the only school that I've been to that gets you working on patients your first semester (with the sealants program) and everyone there was so friendly. The hybrid PBL/traditional curriculum seems pretty good too.

So do you think people mostly decline CASE because of its location? Or is there something bad about the program that I'm missing?

Thanks!
1 - I don't think Case is the only school that lets you start working on patients early on. At Penn, you do sealants and more. You start working with patients in first year as a dental assistant, and then in second year as an expanded function dental assistant.
2 - For me, I think it's the reputation of the school. I had never heard of the school, until I started research dental schools. My parents were immediately turned off by the name; they said "have fun explaining to your uncles why you're going to school on a reserve". lol, mean, but fair.
3- It's not in the safest area of town. And, it's cleveland...not much to do there.
4- PBL in any form is a negative for some people, like myself. Just not their cup of tea.
5- There are many better schools out there for people than Case Western. You can only go to one, so I don't think it's surprising that a lot of these schools experience a high decline.

Ahh i wish someone can cancel their NYU seat for me :(

Members don't see this ad :)
There will be a San Antonio spot opening up soon. Good luck people!

:) I'm happy to see a lot of withdrawals from certain schools.

hanging on to my spots until the offers expire. gotta do what i gotta do. :D

and hanging on to some post dec interviews that I'll eventually drop out of. but for now must keep em just incase.

hanging on to my spots until the offers expire. gotta do what i gotta do. :D

and hanging on to some post dec interviews that I'll eventually drop out of. but for now must keep em just incase.

That sucks, because I'm desperate for your spots at LECOM and Meharry. Hurry up and decide, please.

That sucks, because I'm desperate for your spots at LECOM and Meharry. Hurry up and decide, please.

haha im happy that i'll never have to be in school with you. you sound like a miserable chap! :D

Is everyone turning down their schools now, or are you guys waiting to have your first deposits confirmed and final transcripts received?

I semi feel bad for holding out, but I want to be sure everything is gravy before I jump ship.

Is everyone turning down their schools now, or are you guys waiting to have your first deposits confirmed and final transcripts received?

I semi feel bad for holding out, but I want to be sure everything is gravy before I jump ship.

I'm holding out too. Sorry to everyone on the wait list. Look on the bright side. Just approximately 1-2 more weeks until that wait list moves though :). I'm just too paranoid until its official.

I'm holding out too. Sorry to everyone on the wait list. Look on the bright side. Just approximately 1-2 more weeks until that wait list moves though :). I'm just too paranoid until its official.

I think thats perfectly acceptable.

Hey yall, First off Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to everyone.

Just want to bump this thread back to the top of the forum. Now that we are getting closer to the end of the month, I'm hoping more people could update where they are turning down acceptances. Would be a great Christmas present to all us who haven't gotten into schools just yet. :biglove:

Merry Christmas everyone!

I just turned down NYU, Case, BU, and Maryland. Still deciding between Tufts and Penn so one of those will be up for grabs as well.

Good luck!!

I am turning down MWU-AZ, MWU-IL, Indiana, SIU, and Marquette...hope this helps some of you! Good luck!

Turned down MW-AZ, Michigan, and Maryland so far. Probably turning down Penn in the next week or so. Hope this helps some people out!

Need more to decline Louisville haha. Anyone know of any KY residents declining spots at Louisville?

Make sure to mention me when you drop your UofP spot! ;)

Heh. I wish.

I like this thread...it gives me hope! I seemed to have lost all hope during the month of December. Any other wait-listers feel the same?

I'm passing on USC,UCSF,UOP,LLU,Colorado,UNLV

I am going to San Antonio.

What are the approximate dates to put down a deposit/refuse an offer? Sometime in January?

Jan 15 for those accepted on Dec 1

What are the approximate dates to put down a deposit/refuse an offer? Sometime in January?

Depends on the school. Some give 30 days, others are allowing until mid January. January 15 is the latest day I've heard though.

For those of you that have spoken with the people at Louisville, is there any specific time (day or week) that the wait list will be moving?

Just declined offers from BU, NYU, MUSC, Stony Brook, and UConn. Put deposit down at Tufts. Very excited! Hope that declining these acceptances helps someone out! Happiest of New Years to you all.

I am declining offers to NYU and Maryland today. I hope someone else gets their chance of a lifetime at these schools! :D

I am declining offers to NYU and Maryland today. I hope someone else gets their chance of a lifetime at these schools! :D

How did you turn down NYU? I'm trying to decide the right way because I chose a different school.

How did you turn down NYU? I'm trying to decide the right way because I chose a different school.

I called and told them, and they said to follow up with a quick e-mail so they had it in writing.

I withdrew from ASDOH today. Very tough decision with their great clinical education. However, I hope someone else gets a chance there. Enjoy the rotations :)

Why so many people declining LECOM? Don't they want to attend a fine institution?

Declined MWU-IL, LLU, and Nova :) good luck.

I declined one offer and turned down 3 interviews. Good luck to those that are still in the hunt for an acceptance.

I declined Marquette and Indiana and will be declining Louisville

Anyone declining BU? That would really help me out