waitlists and post-interview process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kicruz25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most websites explain that students are waitlisted when medical schools have already filled their spots. With this in mind a friend of my said they received a letter saying they were waitlisted but that particular school's deadline isn't for two more months. Isn't that kind of early for a [state] university to fill up? Are there any other reasons why a student would be waitlisted? I know most medical schools are rolling application, so that wouldn't make sense since most students receive a rejection or acceptance after a few weeks. Also, It has been over a month since my interview for a few universities and I have yet to hear a response. Should I expect to be waitlisted? One of the school's deadlines has been 3.5 weeks past, and another isn't for 2 weeks.

Sorry if I sound neurotic, but I am not very familiar with the admissions process after interviews. I heard some schools don't respond until after their deadline, no matter when your interview was, and others will let you know within 2-3 weeks. According to the latter, there wouldn't be room for any other reason to waitlist a student other that filled spots.

P.S. I am looking at schools in Michigan, Florida, Illinois and Oregon. If anyone has specific information about these schools I would greatly appreaciate it.

Thankyou!

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools I have interviewed at say that if you are not accepted you will most likely be placed on the waitlist for further review at a later date.

Most schools I have interviewed at say that if you are not accepted you will most likely be placed on the waitlist for further review at a later date.
An advisor I spoke with said not to freak out. Said if I don't get a rejection letter within 2 weeks of application there's a good chance that I was waitlisted. I was just confused because I thought with rolling admissions they make a point to let you know a few weeks post-interview, and that the purpose of waitlists was for students they would have accepted but don't have spots for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
An advisor I spoke with said not to freak out. Said if I don't get a rejection letter within 2 weeks of application there's a good chance that I was waitlisted. I was just confused because I thought with rolling admissions they make a point to let you know a few weeks post-interview, and that the purpose of waitlists was for students they would have accepted but don't have spots for.

Yeah, although the class is not full it is kind of the same situation in that they don't have room for you at that time. It kind of begs the question what type of applicant gets a post-interview rejection outright instead of a waitlist.

1. No school can tell you a post-interview decision until October 15, 2014 at the earliest.
2. I believe that you'd have to really flunk the interview to get a post-interview rejection. Or do something highly inappropriate on interview day.
3. After Oct 15, every school's different in regards to timing. Although, if you've had a few really early interviews already, you should be in a good position.

Reactions: 1 users
The decision boils down into this: Yes, No, and Maybe.
The waitlist is the Maybe option. Whether it's Maybe-Probably or a Probably Not, nobody knows. Since the 'Yes' answers aren't released until October 15th at the earliest, at this point, no news should be considered good news.