Wake Forest Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
..If I don't hear something by June 1st, I'm gettin' answers on June 2nd. :laugh:

Called for an update today but the Ladies in Student Services said that Ms. Dockery is out and won't be back in until Wed (06/02)

I have a feeling the letters are out already because I know for sure that the Committee met for the last time yesterday.

Does anybody know if, and how, the mail moves any between today and Monday (Memorial Day)? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Mail today and Saturday, no mail on Monday, mail on Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in NC as well, nothing here either.

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that the letters have not been mailed out and we are just playing ourselves yet again?

"Playing ourselves" thats a funny way to put it.

If that's the case then it's very unfortunate. As much as some of us are desperate to enter this program, we also need to make other plans. Find/resign from jobs, move, decide on other programs...It's just unfair to keep us waiting for all this while. I hope that's not the case.

The program is worth it, and we know it, and they know we know it, and so we wait. If it wasn't worth it we would find those jobs, or just dump Wake and continue planning for those other programs. They have us by the proverbial balls, they know it, they use it to their advantage. And we wait.

They gave themselves leeway with the "by May 30th" thing. It works in their favor because of the long weekend. Who knows? They might be nice and call like they used to. But regardless, we have to get our notification by this coming Saturday. We just have to.

I will "say" this: KUDOS to all of us for being a fantastic group of candidates who could make their decision so hard. And DAMN US ALL for the same reason.

..I will "say" this: KUDOS to all of us for being a fantastic group of candidates who could make their decision so hard. And DAMN US ALL for the same reason.

I agree, and Thanks TJ for complimenting the 25 of us. :love:

On a serious note guys, knowing that Ms. Dockery was out Friday and purportedly won't be back in till Wed, I just don't think they could have taken a long weekend knowing that the decisions were pending or were waiting to be mailed, that's how I made the assumption that the letters HAVE to be out, either on Thurs before she left or prepared and left to be sent on Fri by mail clerks.

I wish this to be the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
whats up winston salemer's.. any mail?

There shouldn't be anything, because it's not out yet ..I talked to Ms. Dockery this morning and she doesn't have the decisions yet.
She meets with Dr. L-S this afternoon, right now actually, to get an update from the Committee ..She did say that decisions MAY be going out on E-mail rather than Snail but she's not 100% on that.

There shouldn't be anything, because it's not out yet ..I talked to Ms. Dockery this morning and she doesn't have the decisions yet.
She meets with Dr. L-S this afternoon, right now actually, to get an update from the Committee ..She did say that decisions MAY be going out on E-mail rather than Snail but she's not 100% on that.

o i see.. welli guess i figured that nothing had been sent out yet.. if the decisions are so tough...i wish they would just expand the program this year to 15..or however they want to do it.. at at given rate.. they can take as long as they want if they have some positive news for me.. lol

and i def would appreciate the email..vs snail mail that takes a week to get here

Dude, I must be slow or something because I STILL haven't gotten this joke ..I'm I reading it wrong TJ? :rolleyes:

I guess it was my own inside joke. If I didn't get a letter in the mail by Tuesday, I was going to call and force answers on Wednesday. Then I realized that wouldn't work. So I started looking at plane tickets to NC. And bringing Debo with me.

Yeah, dumb joke.

Hi Everybody. I called the office today and also spoke to Mrs. Dockery. She confirmed that decisions had been made. She said they are supposed to go out tomorrow (both an electronic and snail mail copy). She mentioned that these decisions were very difficult (so much so that they had to go back and review decisions because the committee chose too many). So, just to reiterate what's been posted before, I kinda wanted to hear it for myself.

Best of luck all. :xf:

I'm in guys! I just got the email this evening! Soooo excited!

I'm in good company then! Congrats guys. I also got my email today. Super excited as well! :D

That's it?
Nobody else? Win or lose? Accept or waitlist or deny?
How uneventful. :(

We've had our down days on this thread, but I would've thought this page would be more abuzz with news.

I was 100% sure DrPhee would be announcing an acceptance. DrPhee, where are you?? :confused:

That's it?
Nobody else? Win or lose? Accept or waitlist or deny?
How uneventful. :(

We've had our down days on this thread, but I would've thought this page would be more abuzz with news.

I was 100% sure DrPhee would be announcing an acceptance. DrPhee, where are you?? :confused:

Yeah, Letter came today. I am humbly extremely thankful for this acceptance, and can't wait to hit these books, and begin learning this amazing field of medicine. adrenaline rush. gosh. what a long two months.

LovemesomeTJ so does that mean you've gotten a response yet?

Worth the wait! Congrats all. If you have any questions and those of you in need of housing send me a message. A couple older students are trying to help put some housing together for the post bacs.
See you soon!!

hey all,

congrats! to those of you who got in. i haven't posted anything yet but have been patiently waiting and monitoring this forum for updates. i have not received anything yet...no emails, phone calls, voicemails, or letter and i only live like an hour away from WFUBMC. i guess it's safe to say it's a deny for me, but i WOULD like to offically know as well so i can move on with my life and get ready for one more run at medical school. this is probably what irks me the most about this whole process. i feel neglected in a sense. haha. sorry for the rant but just had to get it out.

however still holding out a little bit of hope until i get my official notice :xf:

best of luck to you all!

Anybody looking for housing? I live at the Miller Hatcher Apartment Complex, solely for Wake grad students. It's about 3 mins drive to the campus and it's only $365 for a two-bedroom apartment. The area is quiet and safe. I have been living here for 4yrs. If you're not looking for a luxury apartment, this will be a good place for you. I have an extra mattress, box spring and frame for anybody who would need one. Just holla at me. :) Congrats to those who got in and all the best to all of us.

Last edited:
Quick question. Do they do rolling admissions or do they look at the applications all at once after the deadline? Thanks guys!

Quick question. Do they do rolling admissions or do they look at the applications all at once after the deadline? Thanks guys!

No rolling admissions, since there is only one interview date.

oh ok, so it won't benefit me applying earlier rather than later. Thanks!
it will benefit you...in my opinion they look at the applications in the order that they were received. and from the past posts i think people who turned theirs in at the deadline had a lesser chance of getting interviewed. i also believe somewhere on the website or application it said to turn it is early or such. applying early is never a bad thing.

While I do not condone or suggest applying late, I have to respectfully disagree with some of the above. Maybe I was the absolute exception to the rule, but I didn't learn that the post bac program existed until I received an email 2 weeks after the application deadline. I submitted my application in February, almost 2 months after the December 15th deadline. I received an interview. According to the website, up until the December deadline, the committee is only checking for complete status. So I believe that in the end, the kick-*** application prevails regardless of when it was submitted, so long as it was complete. And kick-***.

Bottom line, make sure you've dotted all of your I's, crossed all of your T's, and given the committee everything that they've asked for when they ask for it. I'm thankful that they found me and gave me the opportunity to submit later than most. But who knows if they'll bother to do that again? The exceptional applicants I met on interview day tells me that they are not hurting for applicants, and admissions across the board, regardless of the type of program (post bac, SMP, MD, etc) is getting stiffer. It's just best to put yourself in the best position possible to be accepted to whatever you apply to. But I'm sure that goes without saying.

Last edited:
Quick question guys, I'm currently applying for the program through AMCAS. This is the only program I am applying to through AMCAS. My question is do I need to fill out the letter of recs through AMCAS or can I just wait to see if I get a secondary and send them directly to Wake Forest? I can't find this info anywhere on their site.

Quick question guys, I'm currently applying for the program through AMCAS. This is the only program I am applying to through AMCAS. My question is do I need to fill out the letter of recs through AMCAS or can I just wait to see if I get a secondary and send them directly to Wake Forest? I can't find this info anywhere on their site.

I apologize for most of us not checking the Forums, classes started and exams are coming up in a few days!
Anyway I think either way works to be honest with you, but If I were you I would go ahead and submit them through AMCAS, if the letters are good they may help you land that coveted interview.

Oh, and as a word of caution, do you really want to put all your eggs in one basket? Again, if I were you, I would apply to some regular MD admissions, Ohio State's Medpath, Drexel's DPMS (If you're a minority), IU's MSMS and Georgetown's GEMS. There's also one for UCONN but I forget the name ..Look 'em up and diversify your app! :)

hey guys, i'm new to the site, however not new to the world of pre-med stress...i was just wondering about the wake forest post bacc program because i'm very interested. I'm just not sure whether i should apply through AMCAS or apply through their website. Also, on the AMCAS, is the specification for the program under "Combined Medical Degree/Graduate?" Also, what's the deadline for the application? Thanks for your help guys.:)

So exactly when do they start sending out the supplemental application? I've already submitted through AMCAS but haven't heard anything back yet. Hmm...

.. I'm just not sure whether i should apply through AMCAS or apply through their website. Also, on the AMCAS, is the specification for the program under "Combined Medical Degree/Graduate?" Also, what's the deadline for the application? Thanks for your help guys.:)

Read my reply BaylorEMT above and also here's a link to the Program's FAQ, it should answer ALL of your Qs, but if you need anymore assistance feel free to post.

So exactly when do they start sending out the supplemental application? I've already submitted through AMCAS but haven't heard anything back yet. Hmm...

And the secondaries don't stream in until later, I got mine even after the deadline. Thing is, they only screen for requirements, and don't really look into the apps until come decision time and that's much-much later in the game. My favorite quote for the position ya'll in is Mr. Miyagi's, " ..Patience, Grasshopper."
Trust me, you're going to need plenty of it! :)

Hi Everyone,

Please let me know if you have any questions about the program. I am a current post-bacc and we just completed our first semester. Feel free to message me!

Hi SDN land! I just received my post-bacc secondary via email yesterday (rejected pre-interview from regular MD pool and asked my application be moved to this program)... I was worried I wouldn't get the secondary because I do have a damn 6 in one MCAT section but an overall score >21 (but my GPA is pretty high)... anyways, I'm only sharing this info in hopes it'll inspire some others applying this year to begin posting when they received secondaries, if they got a confirmation after sending in their secondary, etc.

I've been reading through last year's post and I'm still confused about what exactly they look for when screening for secondaries (most stated you had to have a 7 in each MCAT section to be screened in).... anyone have any insight?

Also the secondary essay seems to be different this year, am I wrong?
They are...
1. The Committee on Admissions invites you to share important and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
Why do you believe that you are particularly suited for this practice scenario?
What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this path?

The last is a "Personal Statement - Complete if you have additional comments or something specific to say to the school."
Hey all current Wake Forest post-baccs, can you please give examples of what you put in this additional comment section..... should I talk about my love for Wake Forest or why I would be a good fit in the program, etc.?

THANKS!!! and sorry for the long post:)

Hi SDN land! I just received my post-bacc secondary via email yesterday (rejected pre-interview from regular MD pool and asked my application be moved to this program)... I was worried I wouldn't get the secondary because I do have a damn 6 in one MCAT section but an overall score >21 (but my GPA is pretty high)... anyways, I'm only sharing this info in hopes it'll inspire some others applying this year to begin posting when they received secondaries, if they got a confirmation after sending in their secondary, etc.

I've been reading through last year's post and I'm still confused about what exactly they look for when screening for secondaries (most stated you had to have a 7 in each MCAT section to be screened in).... anyone have any insight?

They are...
1. The Committee on Admissions invites you to share important and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this path?

The last is a "Personal Statement - Complete if you have additional comments or something specific to say to the school."
Hey all current Wake Forest post-baccs, can you please give examples of what you put in this additional comment section..... should I talk about my love for Wake Forest or why I would be a good fit in the program, etc.?

Don't worry about the numbers. Do an excellent job on the secondary and hope for the best. Good luck

They are...

I received my secondary on November 30th, after being rejected from regular admissions and transferring my app, as well.

Hey Guys!

I am also a post-bac (2010) and am happy to answer any questions you may have..

as far as the scores, don't let a 6 in one section stop you from applying. :)

Hey guys. I applied to the program pretty recently and have not heard back (understandably). Hopefully I'll be getting a secondary soon.

Anyways, I have some questions about the program for those currently in it.

1. -Can you guys describe and typical weekday and a typical weekend?

2. -Are you immersed in classes with students that are not in the program (ie. do you take classes with current med/grad students?

3.- What is the success rate of the program? Are all post bacc students accepted into the school of medicine? (I read you need to maintain a B average, correct?)

4.- Have any students with stats outside the admission parameters ever been accepted? (ie. GPA slightly lower or Mcat of 6 in one section)

5. - are you guys a tight knit group? I imagine that you are. Do you have study groups on your own? maybe some study groups structured by the program directors?

um...that's all I got for now.

but i reserved the right to add to these :D:D:D:)

Last edited:
Hahaha. MysteryMeat! That is such a funny sn!

1. A typical day for us consisted of class for a few hours and then studying. I think we'd all suggest previewing material and such which adds to the load, but makes the next class much easier. And it really depends on your studying methods/time management skills for the timing and such. Several of us work out daily and volunteer during the week. A typical weekend is what you make of it! This program is not as rigorous as medical school and we were never in class from 8-5. If you're an efficient studier, you have a lot of free time. Of course, there were days that were full of the studybus, especially before test days.

2. This semester we took two classes that were specifically for the 10 of us in the postbac program (biochemistry and problem-based-learning) and one that added students pursuing a masters/higher level degree (neuroscience). We are not in the same classes with current medical students, but we are assigned big sibs with post-bacs who are currently first year medical students. They are all pretty sweet (seriously!) and your relationship with them is what you make of it.

3. Yes, to be accepted into the medical school you must maintain a 3.0 gpa which is very do-able! That is the ultimate goal so we are all striving to do our best! Post-Bac students are encouraged to apply to other medical schools during the post bac year. We also must apply to wake and formally interview and such. The previous post bac class (all 10 of the students) decided to stay at wake. When you think about it, wake has put a lot of time and energy into the post-bac students and they want to hang on to us! Those who chose not to stay usually opt for a medical program closer to the comforts of home and you're not obligated to go to wake.

4. DON'T NOT APPLY BECAUSE OF LOW MCAT SCORES IN ONE SECTION OR SCORES IN GENERAL! I put this in caps for good reason. In my opinion more attention is placed on the personal statement and determining if you are a right "fit" for the program. Shine in your statements. Edit them/ proof them/ ask others to do the same. AGAIN: While you want the strongest score/gpa possible (of course) don't let it discourage you from applying to this program.

5. I would say that we're becoming a tight-knit group. While most of us study individually to grasp the material, some of us hold smaller study groups before tests and such. We go out on birthday outings/ dinners/ game nights/etc. Also, several of us are roommates. This isn't a competition once you're in the program. We're all supportive of each other and only want to see each other succeed!

Feel free to pm me if you would like with any other questions! We are very excited that you are interested in the program and wish you the best of luck!

;)

Hey hva09! glad you liked the name

Thanks for answering my questions. I feel like I now have a better grasp of what the program is like :).

Hopefully I can get an invite to interview for the program. :xf:

I have another question which is a repeat of this one by Hokie luv so I will quote it:

.....or medical school in general?

Also... none of these essays have word limits. How long were yours? I'm thinking I should just take the "as many as you need" approach.

Take care! and good luck with classes

Last edited:
Hi Mystery Meat,

Honestly, I don't exactly remember what I wrote for this section, although I did research the medical school (for example reading the medical school booklet on the wake site) for things that I felt were important to my success and included them in my personal statement. Not much time in my statement was dedicated to that, but I included it to show why I was interested in Wake specifically. It also helped for that portion of the interview where they were like, Why wake forest?! My application stuff is on a different computer that I don't have access to right now. I also believe I recycled my personal statement from the AMCAS application and tailored it more specifically for wake. Sorry I'm not of more help!