Wake Forest Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys
Just wanted to give a good luck to you all this year that are applying. I am a MS 3 and did the program in 2007. It undoubtedly made my first year of medical school easier and really set the tone to be successful in the future years. One thing I have read though that I want to clear up:
This program is run by student services but its requirements are mandated by the medical school. For those applying to WFUSM the minimum MCAT score on a single session is a 7. That is why the minimum score is a 21 with at least a 7 in each session. While I would encourage people to apply know that if you don't have another MCAT session pending and don't get a 7 the bylaws of WFUSM won't allow admission.
Hahaha. MysteryMeat! That is such a funny sn!

1. A typical day for us consisted of class for a few hours and then studying. I think we'd all suggest previewing material and such which adds to the load, but makes the next class much easier. And it really depends on your studying methods/time management skills for the timing and such. Several of us work out daily and volunteer during the week. A typical weekend is what you make of it! This program is not as rigorous as medical school and we were never in class from 8-5. If you're an efficient studier, you have a lot of free time. Of course, there were days that were full of the studybus, especially before test days.

2. This semester we took two classes that were specifically for the 10 of us in the postbac program (biochemistry and problem-based-learning) and one that added students pursuing a masters/higher level degree (neuroscience). We are not in the same classes with current medical students, but we are assigned big sibs with post-bacs who are currently first year medical students. They are all pretty sweet (seriously!) and your relationship with them is what you make of it.

3. Yes, to be accepted into the medical school you must maintain a 3.0 gpa which is very do-able! That is the ultimate goal so we are all striving to do our best! Post-Bac students are encouraged to apply to other medical schools during the post bac year. We also must apply to wake and formally interview and such. The previous post bac class (all 10 of the students) decided to stay at wake. When you think about it, wake has put a lot of time and energy into the post-bac students and they want to hang on to us! Those who chose not to stay usually opt for a medical program closer to the comforts of home and you're not obligated to go to wake.

4. DON'T NOT APPLY BECAUSE OF LOW MCAT SCORES IN ONE SECTION OR SCORES IN GENERAL! I put this in caps for good reason. In my opinion more attention is placed on the personal statement and determining if you are a right "fit" for the program. Shine in your statements. Edit them/ proof them/ ask others to do the same. AGAIN: While you want the strongest score/gpa possible (of course) don't let it discourage you from applying to this program.

5. I would say that we're becoming a tight-knit group. While most of us study individually to grasp the material, some of us hold smaller study groups before tests and such. We go out on birthday outings/ dinners/ game nights/etc. Also, several of us are roommates. This isn't a competition once you're in the program. We're all supportive of each other and only want to see each other succeed!

Feel free to pm me if you would like with any other questions! We are very excited that you are interested in the program and wish you the best of luck!

;)

Members don't see this ad.

..Hopefully I can get an invite to interview for the program. :xf:

Interviews are confirmed to be on April 4th. 'They' stated that they plan to interview about 25 (30 max) people

..No word on whether invites have gone out yet or if they are yet to.

Good luck!

Hey guys
Just wanted to give a good luck to you all this year that are applying. I am a MS 3 and did the program in 2007. It undoubtedly made my first year of medical school easier and really set the tone to be successful in the future years. One thing I have read though that I want to clear up:
This program is run by student services but its requirements are mandated by the medical school. For those applying to WFUSM the minimum MCAT score on a single session is a 7. That is why the minimum score is a 21 with at least a 7 in each session. While I would encourage people to apply know that if you don't have another MCAT session pending and don't get a 7 the bylaws of WFUSM won't allow admission.

Guys, DO NOT let Nyu2004 discourage you from applying if you have a 6 in any section. He definitely does not know what he's talking about. The minimum of 7's and a total of 21 is clearly stated on the website and everybody can read it, yet there are exceptional cases where the admission committee utilizes a holistic approach in their decision. Trust me guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
This program sounds really interesting. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether it was too late to apply for consideration this cycle?

My reply is not meant to discourage, it's honesty, something missing from the process of applying to medical school/graduate school. Shallcome2pass you applied last year....are you in the program/have you been accepted to Wake.....because I have and I've also voted on our bylaws as a student goverment eboard member.
Guys, DO NOT let Nyu2004 discourage you from applying if you have a 6 in any section. He definitely does not know what he's talking about. The minimum of 7's and a total of 21 is clearly stated on the website and everybody can read it, yet there are exceptional cases where the admission committee utilizes a holistic approach in their decision. Trust me guys.

There are always exceptions to the rule. While NYU2004 is obviously being practical, the program is also looking for the best fit for more than the sake of numbers. Of course, the program is competitive, so bring the absolute best application forward. The program is looking for people who have the passion and drive to succeed in Medical School and your application should demonstrate that. If you received a secondary invitation, please do not be discouraged in sending it in!!

My reply is not meant to discourage, it's honesty, something missing from the process of applying to medical school/graduate school. Shallcome2pass you applied last year....are you in the program/have you been accepted to Wake.....because I have and I've also voted on our bylaws as a student goverment eboard member.

Is it a requirement to be a minority to apply for this program? Or is increasing minority enrollment into medical school just one of the objectives of the program?

Is it a requirement to be a minority to apply for this program? Or is increasing minority enrollment into medical school just one of the objectives of the program?

Hey 11scrubs11, 'their' exact wording is, "to facilitate the entry of students into medical school from populations underrepresented in medicine and/or disadvantaged".

I take the term 'disadvantaged' to mean either social or economic so I would say to definitely apply if you feel that you have undergone through some hardships that may have undermined your educational experience.
FYI. Yes, there are people that have gone through the program that are not colored, if that's what you're really asking.:laugh:

Here is the link to the Official Program page and FAQs if you'd like to read more about the program.

The global MCAT score you need to apply to the program is clearly stated as a 21. Although the minimum scores for the subsections are not clear... a minimum of 7 in each section is highly recommended... and part of the by-laws as NYU2004 has stated.

You should not be discouraged in applying to the program if you do not meet this (for future cycles, since this application cycle is now closed and interviews are coming up)... however, you should be aware that not having a minimum of 7 gives a strong indication that you will not be successful in medical school (i.e. struggle more with the coursework than those who had higher scores.) The 21 (with a minimum of 7) is truly meant to protect you from this struggle and the debt you would accumulate if you had to repeat a year/start over. So even though you may have less than 7 in a section, you will be required to retake the MCAT if you are accepted into the post-bac program (because you will not be allowed entrance into the medical school without it.)

To EVERYONE: we are here for you all and are more than happy to answer your questions. We have successfully completed the post bac program and are current successful medical students. Please do not disregard our advice based on someone's opinion, especially if they are NOT in or have NOT completed the post-bac program.

-Jenny
(Former Post-Bac grad and rising 3rd year.)

3. Yes, to be accepted into the medical school you must maintain a 3.0 gpa which is very do-able! That is the ultimate goal so we are all striving to do our best! Post-Bac students are encouraged to apply to other medical schools during the post bac year. We also must apply to wake and formally interview and such. The previous post bac class (all 10 of the students) decided to stay at wake. When you think about it, wake has put a lot of time and energy into the post-bac students and they want to hang on to us! Those who chose not to stay usually opt for a medical program closer to the comforts of home and you're not obligated to go to wake.

;)

So you mean to tell me that after completing the program successfully, you have to RE-APPLY to the medical school formally through ANOTHER tedious AMCAS application?

Last edited:
That all depends on you, if you complete the programs requirements (7 in each section and 3.0 gpa along with some others) then you are guaranteed entrance to the medical school. If you do not wish to apply to other schools you can simply submit the same AMCAS application as you did the previous year. When you apply towards another cycle again you have the option of updating a former application. If you know you want to stay at wake all you have to do is press send. You then have to interview at wake just like a normal applicant.
So you mean to tell me that after completing the program successfully, you have to RE-APPLY to the medical school formally through ANOTHER tedious AMCAS application?

Guys and Gals, check your email. I just got an interview invite :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, this may be a dumb question but there is only one possible interview date, correct?

I'm definitely coming for the interview, my only issue is I have to attend a family wedding that Sunday evening in Atlanta, GA... I'm thinking it would be easier to drive from ATL to Wake Forest than to fly.... google says it would take 5 hours, anyone have any travel advice?

i got an interview too. How important is the interview in the selection process? I am living abroad right now and it would be quite difficult to make it for the interview. Any advice?

ok, this may be a dumb question but there is only one possible interview date, correct?

Yes, there's just one interview date. April 4th, I think ya'll have.
In terms of travel, most people used Piedmont Triad Intl. (GSO) in Greensboro, but it is plausible to use Charlotte-Douglas (CLT) in Charlotte since it's bigger and offers more flights. FYI. Charlotte is abt 1.5hours away from Winston.

i got an interview too. How important is the interview in the selection process? I am living abroad right now and it would be quite difficult to make it for the interview. Any advice?

I think the Interview is clutch in the admissions process, (my opinion) it gives them an opportunity to confirm their perception of you, or to clarify some ambiguities in your app.
Don't forget, it is also important to you as a candidate to determine whether the Institution is a nice fit for you, that's why they hold a Q&A and give Campus tours.

With regards to your situation, there was an applicant who was abroad for his/her interview and they had them 'Skype-in' for their interview. I can tell you that him/her is not in the Program with us, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was from them tele-conferencing the Interview.

The interview is critical. Everyone offered an interview is on equal playing ground for the most part. If you don't interview your spot will be given to someone else and you won't be considered for the program so I would highly recommend coming :)

The interview is critical. Everyone offered an interview is on equal playing ground for the most part. If you don't interview your spot will be given to someone else and you won't be considered for the program so I would highly recommend coming :)

well i guess i will be there... see ya on April 4th...happy but broke...

Are there any shuttles from the Charlotte airport to the Greensboro airport? I am having a hard time finding a flight to GSO.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who got an interview.

Unfortunately I got this notice:

Your application has been placed in the secondary interview pool status of “Hold”. This essentially means that you could be offered an interview in the event an applicant, who has been invited to interview, withdraws before April 4, 2011.

So if anyone is planning to withdraw their application or has been accepted elsewhere please notify the Post-bac program so those of us in the secondary pool can get a shot :D

Although I didn't get invited to interview, I am happy for everyone that did! Good luck! sounds like an awesome program.

Also I suggest you guys ask questions here. People who have gone through the program have been very helpful with answering questions.

Yes, there's just one interview date. April 4th, I think ya'll have.
In terms of travel, most people used Piedmont Triad Intl. (GSO) in Greensboro, but it is plausible to use Charlotte-Douglas (CLT) in Charlotte since it's bigger and offers more flights. FYI. Charlotte is abt 1.5hours away from Winston.

I think the Interview is clutch in the admissions process, (my opinion) it gives them an opportunity to confirm their perception of you, or to clarify some ambiguities in your app.
Don't forget, it is also important to you as a candidate to determine whether the Institution is a nice fit for you, that's why they hold a Q&A and give Campus tours.

With regards to your situation, there was an applicant who was abroad for his/her interview and they had them 'Skype-in' for their interview. I can tell you that him/her is not in the Program with us, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was from them tele-conferencing the Interview.

well well well..look who it is..lol

Due to some Medical Center / School of Med restructuring, the URLs have changed.

Here is the new link to the Program ..I suggest reading up before the Interview :)

Heyy I got an invite to interview as well!! Has anyone heard back about housing accommodations after filling out the email questionnaire? I'm from Missouri so I will be flying into GSO and commuting to campus.. is anyone else and would you like to meet up??

I also haven't heard anything about housing after the initial email, hopefully we hear something soon.

...hopefully we hear something soon.

UPDATE
The Admissions Board met mid this past week. The entrant list is not final but they are getting there. Apparently most if not all the interviewees were too good to pick apart, the same problem they had last year.

My $0.02: This is the time you write your Letters of Intent, send updates with regards to your End of Semester Grades or possible new things that add to your application.

Good luck! :xf:

Last edited:
I know a lot of you would like to know when the letters will go out... but that is something that we (current med students and post bacs) do not know. The admissions committee makes the decisions... which can be as early as the beginning of May or as late as early June... it really depends on the applicant profiles. So... just sit tight... you'll know as soon as they make the decision... if they decide pretty quickly it might be a letter in the mail or email like it was my year (class of 2009).... if the decisions are made later... you might get a phone call instead (like class of 2011.) Sorry we can't be of more help, but I know that I and other med students will be getting more PMs asking about the letters... unfortunately, we just don't know.

I wish you the best of luck!

-Jenny
MS 2013

The wait is killing me...they said mid-may...well its mid-may lol

the wait has definitely been agonizing. I'm hoping we hear this week, fingers crossed!

You guys applied for the fall 2011 entry, correct? I'm really surprised that they are taking this long to let you all know whether you're in or not. Good luck to all of you. I'm thinking about applying next year.

yeah, we all applied for this Fall.

Wow, I sure wish they would let us know something..... Has anyone withdrew b/c of acceptance somewhere else??

yeah, we all applied for this Fall.

Wow, I sure wish they would let us know something..... Has anyone withdrew b/c of acceptance somewhere else??

I will if I don't here back in 3 days. I accepted another program I applied for but orientation starts this Thursday. Wake Forest is my number one choice but I can't keep telling the other program I am going when in fact there might be a slight possibility I won't. I am going to have to stay in a hotel till the end of June bc I don't want to bind myself in a new city in case Wake Forest gives me a call. I am just in a big cluster ****. At this point I just want to know if I am in or out. I am losing a lot of money doing what I am doing right now :(

I thought that we would at least hear back by now....hopefully this week!

It looks like for that past few classes it has been undecided up until the last minute/ first week in June. I hope we find out soon, like before June 1st!!

Can you guys share you stats, ecs, etc. I would like to see how I compare with the average WFPB applicant. I'm planning on applying to the program this year.

Thanks in advance.

I can feel it, I think tomorrow will be our lucky day.

BaylorEMT you were right! Today is the day. Check your e-mails, just got my letter!!!

I'm in!!!! I look forward to meeting the other 9 :D

I'm in tooo!!! really excited to meet you guys. :)

Congrats guys!

I have a question for past and current post bac students, I know scholarships are available to cover the program fee but is any type of aid available for living expenses?

Last edited:
Congrats guys!

I have a question for past and current post bac students, I know scholarships are available to cover the program fee but is any type of aid available for living expenses?

Loans :(
I think the maximum amount of scholarship that is given for the program is $10,000 and then after than, you'll have to rely on the goverment (maximum = $12,500, sub and unsub) and then private loans. It's a tough year financially...you're considered a 5th year undergraduate with no degree on the horizon, just a certificate, which gives no solid promise of anything to lenders. BUT it does get better when you're a med student (as far as loans go). They love throwing that loan money your way.

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS to all of the acceptees!!! Looking forward to meeting you someday. :love:

Congrats everyone! I got in as well!! :) Question for the current/former postbaccs, how did you guys go about getting housing? Are there any apts within walking distance to Wake? Did you guys room together, with former postbaccs, med students, or other students?

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to those who were accepted. I am very excited for all of you. I look forward to meeting you all in August! :D

My suggestions:
1. If you do not have a car, look for an apartment within walking distance. (Look for places in the Ardmore area near the school.)
2. If you are going to get a roommate... consider looking for someone who is not in the post bac program with you (things tend to work out better that way.)
3. I lived in Legacy Park for two years and loved it. Many med students live there as well as post bacs... gym, pool, gated, spacious... but on the "pricier" range relative to other places in Winston... but still cheap compared to other cities. (ex. rent 1bd/1ba is about $635... 2bd/2ba will be around $795)

-Jenny
MS 2013

Thanks JennyPenny! Can't wait to meet everyone!