Wake Forest Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey I would call the office. are you talking about the disadvantaged essay on the amcas application?
yep, that's the essay I'm talking about :/

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying this cycle as well ... has only 1 person from this forum received the secondary so far?

I have also just received the secondary this past week. I forwarded my application about a month ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
...lol, im here too :D

to those who asked about stats, I'd suggest you not worry about the numbers so much. High stats are good of course in any application, but really focus on the essay and interview bc in my opinion they do a great job when looking beyond stats (and exceptions are made). Also, read past posts in this forum bc there is a lot of good information and your question may already have been answered

good luck

Hey, y'all! Current postbac here. Let me know if you have any questions!

I think it depends on when your app was transferred from the med school or when you sent in the intial app. I think they're still accepting applications until December. Actually, just checked my old email account and I got the secondary at the end of November, interview invite in March, and actual interview was in April? May have been longer/shorter for my other classmates.

Sorry for the wait!

Hey Hokie luv and beautyandbrains,

How long before they send secondaries out?

...lol, im here too :D

to those who asked about stats, I'd suggest you not worry about the numbers so much. High stats are good of course in any application, but really focus on the essay and interview bc in my opinion they do a great job when looking beyond stats (and exceptions are made). Also, read past posts in this forum bc there is a lot of good information and your question may already have been answered

good luck

Hey BeautyandBrains and Hokie luv! Thanks!:)

Yeah, the past posts were very helpful.

Hey everyone. Former post bac and now third year medical student. Just wanted to say best of luck to everyone applying to the postbac program this cycle. Let me know if you have any questions. If you read back through prior posts, there are plenty of helpful hint and information... but feel free to msg me. As a heads up... I am on rotations (surgery right now actually), so have some patience if I take a little while to respond.

-Jen

Hello.

It's too late to apply? They are being vague about the deadline; it's Nov 1 absolute?

Hello.

It's too late to apply? They are being vague about the deadline; it's Nov 1 absolute?

I'm sorry, but I believe you had to of applied to the Wake Forest medical school, which had a Nov 1 deadline. You then have until march or so to transfer your application to the post bac program.

But try emailing the program - they are the only ones who can give you an absolute answer.

Hello Everyone,

I recently submitted my secondary application. When I went back to review what I submitted, I found that there were symbol mistakes in place of other marks such as "’" instead of an apostrophe in the personal statement section. I did not copy and paste in this section. I actually wrote within the application for this part.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue? Thanks.

Hello Everyone,

I recently submitted my secondary application. When I went back to review what I submitted, I found that there were symbol mistakes in place of other marks such as "’" instead of an apostrophe in the personal statement section. I did not copy and paste in this section. I actually wrote within the application for this part.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue? Thanks.
Hey! I submitted my application yesterday and that also occured to me. I first tried to copy and paste it onto the box. Then I typed it in and both times I got those symbol mistakes. So I just submit and hope that it won't be an issue when they're reviewing it!

Hey! I submitted my application yesterday and that also occured to me. I first tried to copy and paste it onto the box. Then I typed it in and both times I got those symbol mistakes. So I just submit and hope that it won't be an issue when they're reviewing it!

Thanks! Oh ok. I was a little worried, thought I must of did something wrong or used the wrong web browser or something...Yeah I hope it won't be an issue either when they're reviewing it. Still looks readable/understandable to me-:).

Good Luck :luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello folks, I'm also applying to the post bac. My secondary has been in there since the first week of Nov, so we pretty much have to wait until March for any kind of feedback? Seems like torture lol. Anyways, best of luck to those of you who are applying this year.

Hello folks, I'm also applying to the post bac. My secondary has been in there since the first week of Nov, so we pretty much have to wait until March for any kind of feedback? Seems like torture lol.

Worse - we have to wait until the end of May before we know anything for sure. +pity+

:laugh: good luck everyone,hopefully see you next spring and fall!

Last edited:
Just to check....

1. The Committee on Admissions invites you to share important and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
Why do you believe that you are particularly suited for this practice scenario?
What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this path?

Everyone answered these as one large essay, right? Then the "personal comments" on the next page is more geared towards specific fit to the school? I am probably spazzing out too much about this, but I'd feel more comfortable if I knew before I mash that submit button. Thank you! and :luck:

Last edited:
Well I answered it in two essays to really focus on the questions. They never did tell you it had to be one long essay, so I hope I did it right (now I'm gonna be paranoid all the way up until March/April :scared: ) The last essay was more of a how i'd fit there and was much shorter (more like a paragraph really). Hope it was good enough.

Just to check....

Everyone answered these as one large essay, right? Then the "personal comments" on the next page is more geared towards specific fit to the school? I am probably spazzing out too much about this, but I'd feel more comfortable if I knew before I mash that submit button. Thank you! and :luck:

I answered question 1 and 2 as two different essays as well. It helped me to make sure I gave a clear answer to each question they asked.

Yeah, for the "personal comments" page I wrote additional information geared towards the school and the program. Hope this helps!

Did anyone get confirmation that their application was received? Other than the message that shows up after you press submit online.

From previous posts from last year, I'm guessing that most just called in after a month or so to make sure?

Thanks

so let me get this correct--you can't apply unless you submitted an AMCAS? I had an amcas id but withdrew since my mcat was low, so technically I can't apply?

While reading some of the previous posts, I have noticed that some of you have said that the required mcat score is a 21 with at least a 7 in each section. Now, when reviewing the actual website, it clear states that a 21 is requred, but fails to mention anything about the required score for each section. The link is provided below and it is under the section of eligibility requirements.

http://www.wakehealth.edu/School/Diversity/Postbaccalaureate-Premedical-Program.htm

While reading some of the previous posts, I have noticed that some of you have said that the required mcat score is a 21 with at least a 7 in each section. Now, when reviewing the actual website, it clear states that a 21 is requred, but fails to mention anything about the required score for each section. The link is provided below and it is under the section of eligibility requirements.

http://www.wakehealth.edu/School/Diversity/Postbaccalaureate-Premedical-Program.htm

Did you receive a secondary? If you did, I wouldn't worry or you could call the office to find out for sure.

does this program screen for their secondary? I'm just curious.

For those of you who asked, I believe in my year (2007-2008) they received 400 completed applications, sent out 75 secondaries, interviewed 25 and accepted 10.

Well obviously the first thing they look for is whether or not they believe that you can do the work, ie your academic record. That is often the main "screen" they use for the secondary. Once you send in that application it is more about who you are as a person. If you all read the interview feedback about Wake you will see that we do a very informal interview. Our process is all about fit, and we really try to get to know you as a person and see whether or not that person fits at Wake. It's really hard to say what they look for but if you have any more questions please drop me a line.
Good luck to you all

^both of those are from 2009

Thanks for the info, so I guess considering the huge cutoff from the apps to sent secondaries, their screen is pretty crazy. I guess those of us that got it are in good company.

Nope, just crickets. I don't expect to hear anything from them till February at the earliest.

Yeah I think that sounds right. Gosh, I'm hoping to hear some good news! Good luck to all those applying as well!

one week left for people to transfer their applications....how many of us have completed the secondaries so far?

I'm tempted to compile a list and update is as we go along....then I realize I'm far too easily distracted to make that kind of commitment :laugh:

:luck: to us all, and let's hope we hear good news next month! :xf:

Got an update today guys, I got an interview invite! Totally had forgotten I had even applied since its been so long. Will definitely go

I got an invite too! Just got the email - I'm so excited - I'm shaking! I was complete in the first week of January

Last edited:
Congrats everyone, I just got an invite as well, my secondary was sent in early January!!! Definitely confirming

I did not call to confirm, I sent an email last week asking when we'd hear back and I was only told soon.

I did not call to confirm - I just marked marked on my calender when I had everything submitted

I was complete the first week of November, so its been a LONG wait :p . Look forward to meeting you all there.

ok. so i guess if we didnt hear anything that must be a bad sign. does anyone know if they are still giving out invites?
Not sure, I wouldn't lose hope, however, people still have to confirm their interviews, some are still waiting to hear back regarding applications to other medical schools and programs. Try contacting the office to find out your application status.

Congrats to everyone! I just got an interview invite as well!! Cant wait!!

Congratulations on all the interview invitations! I'm debating whether or not I should submit the secondary. It seems like it may be kind of late...I was trying to see if I'd hear back from a school that I interviewed at before submitting it. This is a great program, but if I could avoid the additional cost of being in school for an extra year, I'd be happy.

Congrats on your interviews! See you all in April :)

post-bacc year goes by fast... can't believe it's almost over!

Congratulations on all the interview invitations! I'm debating whether or not I should submit the secondary. It seems like it may be kind of late...I was trying to see if I'd hear back from a school that I interviewed at before submitting it. This is a great program, but if I could avoid the additional cost of being in school for an extra year, I'd be happy.
I know last year our secondary was due within two weeks of receiving it.... don't know if that has changed this year. I'm just saying if interview invites have already gone out, it is probably too late bc from what I know there is only one interview date. Just saying you should probably check that out

I know last year our secondary was due within two weeks of receiving it.... don't know if that has changed this year. I'm just saying if interview invites have already gone out, it is probably too late bc from what I know there is only one interview date. Just saying you should probably check that out
Thanks. They sent it to me last week and the email said I had 4 weeks from receiving it to send it back.

Congratulations to everyone who has received an interview so far. I'm praying that I hear something soon. For those of us still waiting, remain faithful and everything will work out for the best. Good luck everyone. :xf::)