Walgreens, a few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx1983

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with management pushing us to call IC3, a clear result of understaffing, a big question comes up. What can store management who are not licensed as technicians do? I work in Florida, and to me they shouldn't be handling prescriptions, scanning them in, etc. Last night at a 24 hour store was a lot of fun when the new shift lead was trying to help me when the tech called in and I was alone and I get asked "what does TPR mean, what does WCB mean, how do I look up a patient to scan this prescription in?"

Also, has it become clear to anyone else that Walgreens wants floaters fighting for hours with their schedules always up in the air? The way they schedule makes absolutely no logical sense and since my dad is a floater in another state I kind of think this is policy from the top based on what he tells me. When I see a store that has a floater 4 days during a week and each day its a different floater when it could easily be the same person to give that store some consistent staffing it leads me to believe this.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, has it become clear to anyone else that Walgreens wants floaters fighting for hours with their schedules always up in the air? The way they schedule makes absolutely no logical sense and since my dad is a floater in another state I kind of think this is policy from the top based on what he tells me. When I see a store that has a floater 4 days during a week and each day its a different floater when it could easily be the same person to give that store some consistent staffing it leads me to believe this.
Seriously.. I still don't know where/when I am working or not working until the day of.It is so annoying. I keep trying to believe that it will change and I will have at least one pay period set schedule but nope, same thing week after week after week. But what can we do?

Seriously.. I still don't know where/when I am working or not working until the day of.It is so annoying. I keep trying to believe that it will change and I will have at least one pay period set schedule but nope, same thing week after week after week. But what can we do?
just sit around with your coat on and your cell phone in your hands at all times

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What can store management who are not licensed as technicians do? I work in Florida, and to me they shouldn't be handling prescriptions, scanning them in, etc.

It depends on what your state law allows a non-licensed person to do. I have no idea on FL state law, in IL, a non-licensed person can do nothing ring out a person (they are not legally allowed to use the computer, they can not even legally ask if the person requires counseling from the pharmacist--which pretty much negates the person of having a non-licensed person ring someone out, since a licensed person still has to go over to ask the person if they want counseling.) So at least in IL, there is little reason for a non-licensed person to be in the pharmacy.

just sit around with your coat on and your cell phone in your hands at all times
Haha, thanks for the laugh. Sure seems that way at times. Especially when you've worked 8 or 9 days in a row and finally have a day off where you have a lot of personal stuff to get done and the scheduler is calling before you're even out of bed.

I suppose I have to do some research and find out what exactly store management can do to help because I can envision a scenario where an inspector comes in and someone is doing something that requires a tech license when they don't have one.

Haha, thanks for the laugh. Sure seems that way at times. Especially when you've worked 8 or 9 days in a row and finally have a day off where you have a lot of personal stuff to get done and the scheduler is calling before you're even out of bed.

I suppose I have to do some research and find out what exactly store management can do to help because I can envision a scenario where an inspector comes in and someone is doing something that requires a tech license when they don't have one.

I think most floaters would love working that many straight days, from what I hear most are desperate for hours, consider yourself lucky. Just keep working hard and you'll be picked to be staff at the next opening

Reactions: 1 user

It has gotten pretty bad recently. Before, floaters would be able to have their schedule or the majority of it set and completed 2 weeks in advance. You would know where you are going and what stores you are working. Now, I see floaters telling me they're "on call" for that day. I'm like "wtf." I stepped down from RXM to go part-time and pursue another career goal but I am afraid to even think of having to go back if my side gig doesn't work out. Seems like there is definitely an excess of pharmacists and floaters; I've never heard of this "on call" **** before in retail.

It has gotten pretty bad recently. Before, floaters would be able to have their schedule or the majority of it set and completed 2 weeks in advance. You would know where you are going and what stores you are working. Now, I see floaters telling me they're "on call" for that day. I'm like "wtf." I stepped down from RXM to go part-time and pursue another career goal but I am afraid to even think of having to go back if my side gig doesn't work out. Seems like there is definitely an excess of pharmacists and floaters; I've never heard of this "on call" **** before in retail.
lol everybody says it's gotten worst. There has been a lot of turnover for pharmacists in my area for Walgreens.

lol everybody says it's gotten worst. There has been a lot of turnover for pharmacists in my area for Walgreens.

Honestly, people will jump ship the moment they get a chance. I don't see how anyone can be "on call" for a whole pay period waking up each day not knowing if they're working or not. You know you have 4 days off for the period...but which 4 is it????

Honestly, people will jump ship the moment they get a chance. I don't see how anyone can be "on call" for a whole pay period waking up each day not knowing if they're working or not. You know you have 4 days off for the period...but which 4 is it????
Even staff and pharmacy managers are leaving. I know of some who jumped to CVS.

A lot of floaters are base pay of 30 hours/week at cvs.

I feel like I hear a lot of similar situations from other Walgreens floaters, it's like Walgreens is notorious for this. I barely hear this kind of problem from CVS floaters, which is almost making me want to work for CVS more than Walgreens just for the consistency....but then again, CVS has its own problems.....

Seriously? So you wake up in the morning not knowing what time you work or where you are even going? So what do you do, wake up at 6 am and sit around waiting in the event that the store is an hour and a half away and you work at 8? This would stress me out to no end!

I feel like I hear a lot of similar situations from other Walgreens floaters, it's like Walgreens is notorious for this. I barely hear this kind of problem from CVS floaters, which is almost making me want to work for CVS more than Walgreens just for the consistency....but then again, CVS has its own problems.....

Seems like most floaters at CVS don't give a rat's ass about anything, they just show up and verify as slow as possible for the shift and leave. Half of them complain about the company while they are there too. Yet they never get fired. Meanwhile the staff pharmacist doesn't follow the workstation assignment board and gets a call from the DM. Seems like floating wouldn't be all that bad.

Seriously? So you wake up in the morning not knowing what time you work or where you are even going? So what do you do, wake up at 6 am and sit around waiting in the event that the store is an hour and a half away and you work at 8? This would stress me out to no end!

Yes, this was me for 3 years! It gave me so much anger and anxiety that I ended up dropping down to part time with a set schedule and I feel so much better. The scheduler would call me at 6am for an AM shift or later on in the day for an evening or overnight shift. Or I could have the day off but wouldn't know until about 100pm. My non pharmacy friends couldn't relate to me and I became so depressed. I couldn't sleep because I was always worried about when I'd get the phone call. It's a terrible way to live your daily life.

Yes, this was me for 3 years! It gave me so much anger and anxiety that I ended up dropping down to part time with a set schedule and I feel so much better. The scheduler would call me at 6am for an AM shift or later on in the day for an evening or overnight shift. Or I could have the day off but wouldn't know until about 100pm. My non pharmacy friends couldn't relate to me and I became so depressed. I couldn't sleep because I was always worried about when I'd get the phone call. It's a terrible way to live your daily life.

Wow that sounds miserable. I could put up with 2 days in advance if I had to but I wouldn't tolerate same day scheduling. Even if you work 1-9 you entire day is shot because you've been sitting around since 6 am waiting for a phone call and stressing out. Then you've been up for 17 hours straight and might have to be at work at 8 am the next day in a different town 2 hours away.

Plus as a floater you have to worry about actually finding the store and I imagine you have to leave early because you don't truly know how long it will take/traffic. And I imagine working with people you've never met every day isn't exactly a thrill.

You're not alone. Walgreens is notorious for doing this now days. They put floaters in as "MRK SHIFTS" which means you're basically on call for that whole day. It's such bs that they actually get away with this because we have no bargaining power and everyone is stressed out about their loans and mortgages to speak up.

You're not alone. Walgreens is notorious for doing this now days. They put floaters in as "MRK SHIFTS" which means you're basically on call for that whole day. It's such bs that they actually get away with this because we have no bargaining power and everyone is stressed out about their loans and mortgages to speak up.
Exactly....

And then you get sent to this store in the absolute ghetto and watch 81 F1s (e scripts) come up on a matter of a few seconds

Heard it was bad in Florida years ago already. Not surprising with that narcotics ****storm they got themselves in. Lol corporate