walgreens floaters: how do you get a staff position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lorain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i graduated and Im a floater for Wags....im a stability person so i abhor floating....here is my question for you who work for wags, how do you find out what staff positions are open and how can I get it?

ive realized there is a lot of secrecy around open positions, i asked the market scheduler, and her answer is "we have lots of oppurtunities, whatever fits your need"....when i ask her for specific stores in a city, she gives the same answer as before...im like WTF?

also, there was a store in say City X tat had a opening spot, when i found about the opening from a tech, i inquired about it and was told it was filled 2 days ago....all the employees at the different pharmacies told me it was my bad luck as the position was open and adveritised for 2 months....after talking to the DM, he told me the position was really never open and they were waiting for this one person to fill it....i cant believe how they managed to pull that off: fool all the employees in one district about a open position that in the first place was really never open...another WTF

so for you people who signed on with Wags and floated initially, Im wondering how did you guys find out about open staff positions and then whats the way to go to be considered for that spot? thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

they usually require you to float so you get exposed to both the high and low volume stores. at least that's the BS that they gave me. i got a store less than a month after i got licensed. too bad it wasn't the store the DM promised me while he was recruiting me. but instead, i jumped at the opportunity since it was an overnight position that i had wanted in the 1st place. too bad it was in south dallas and it was a postion that was vacant for a reason. i worked my butt off in da hood!! oh well.

i've run into several floaters that have been doing it for over a year. but don't worry, when POWER comes you won't have to worry about anything at WAG. mainly b/c you probably won't have a job...

they usually require you to float so you get exposed to both the high and low volume stores. at least that's the BS that they gave me. i got a store less than a month after i got licensed. too bad it wasn't the store the DM promised me while he was recruiting me. but instead, i jumped at the opportunity since it was an overnight position that i had wanted in the 1st place. too bad it was in south dallas and it was a postion that was vacant for a reason. i worked my butt off in da hood!! oh well.

i've run into several floaters that have been doing it for over a year. but don't worry, when POWER comes you won't have to worry about anything at WAG. mainly b/c you probably won't have a job...

Are you still in Dallas?

Members don't see this ad :)
ehhh im not in this for longterm....im gonna go do a residency soon (they dont know that)

however, i do abhor floating

i just dont understand the secrecy surrounding the open spots

ehhh im not in this for longterm....im gonna go do a residency soon (they dont know that)

however, i do abhor floating

i just dont understand the secrecy surrounding the open spots

It is to keep you in the float pool as long as possible. You will get out once you make some friends and impress someone at a store. When an opening comes up they say they want you and you are out.

If you are not in it for the long haul stay as a floater. Show up and do the minimum required and move on. Being a floater has its perks. You have no responsibilitites other than verifing scripts or running the cash register if you are in a POWER store. You also get to blame everything on the permenant staff bacause they will sure blame everthing on you when you are gone. You also do not have to know anything. Just tell everyone to call back tomorrow or later in the day when one of the regulars are there.

so whats the best possible way to find out bout a open spot?

like seriously....is it thru the staff pharmacists, the techs?

i mean i just hate floating, driving 70 minutes to get to one store, work till 10 pm, and then gotta be back at 8am....**** that is what i say!

i mean i just hate floating, driving 70 minutes to get to one store, work till 10 pm, and then gotta be back at 8am....**** that is what i say!

That’s Walgreens my friend. You chose to work for them. It was the same crap 5 years ago when I worked for them. I quit after three months. It was bad then and worse now.

The DM promised me the world when I was hired. She did not deliver on one single thing. When I called her up and said I was turning in my 2 weeks notice she started with all the promises again. I cut her off and told her she lied to me once what is to stop her from doing it again. I told her this was not a ploy for me to negotiate what I wanted or more precisely what she had promised me in the first place. I was quitting and had nothing more to say.

You could always try this approach. Threaten to quit and see if they will suddenly find a store for you. My advice is to quit and find something decent.

i got a interview with a hospital job this week

regardless, i think i might be quitting once i made enough to pay the rest of my loans off

I'm just a tech at Walgreen's, but I would guess that they're looking for a certain quality in you that would make you a good candidate for a staff position at a specific store. They're probably looking at your speed and customer service and how well you are liked by the pharmacy manager. I guess it takes times to evaluate you while you're floating and filling all their needs as a company. If they need you more as a staff at a certain store, that's when they will offer you a store.

i got a interview with a hospital job this week

regardless, i think i might be quitting once i made enough to pay the rest of my loans off

if u do land a hospital job, would u still consider a residency? just curious.

I'm just a tech at Walgreen's, but I would guess that they're looking for a certain quality in you that would make you a good candidate for a staff position at a specific store. They're probably looking at your speed and customer service and how well you are liked by the pharmacy manager. I guess it takes times to evaluate you while you're floating and filling all their needs as a company. If they need you more as a staff at a certain store, that's when they will offer you a store.

yea, but i interned for 3 yrs at a 500+ a day store where i did everything, including f4ing.....my dm from that area gave me a nice letter of rec, which he told me to give to any DM of wags

in 4 more months, my loans can be all paid off....so i might stick it out....we'll see

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s Walgreens my friend. You chose to work for them. It was the same crap 5 years ago when I worked for them. I quit after three months. It was bad then and worse now.

The DM promised me the world when I was hired. She did not deliver on one single thing. When I called her up and said I was turning in my 2 weeks notice she started with all the promises again. I cut her off and told her she lied to me once what is to stop her from doing it again. I told her this was not a ploy for me to negotiate what I wanted or more precisely what she had promised me in the first place. I was quitting and had nothing more to say.

You could always try this approach. Threaten to quit and see if they will suddenly find a store for you. My advice is to quit and find something decent.

If you don't mind my asking, what company do you work for now?

had a great interview with a hospital...wouldnt match salary, but made a very respectable offer

great hours and clinically oriented position

i will now go to wags and ask for a staff spot, if not, see ya!

hey mountainpharmd, quick question for ya

if there is a new store opening in October, and say they tell me i can have a spot there....is there any way to guarantee that? like even if i get it in writing, that doesnt help me any way, right?

had a great interview with a hospital...wouldnt match salary, but made a very respectable offer

nice. what area of the country do you live in if you don't mind me asking?

im assuming near a metro area due to the crappy float pool...

hey mountainpharmd, quick question for ya

if there is a new store opening in October, and say they tell me i can have a spot there....is there any way to guarantee that? like even if i get it in writing, that doesnt help me any way, right?

if i were u, assuming that the hospital position was offered, i'd take it, and RUN. sure beats being in the float pool for an indefinite period of time.

If you want a staff position then you should call all the pharmacy managers in your area and inquire about open positions. They have a large influence on who is placed in their store especially if they are an emerging leader.

You should also keep in mind that pharmacists and managers are placed in stores based on their ability and fit within a particular store.

i have a meeting this wed with DM to discuss store openings

im sure after that i'll have a decision

i have a meeting this wed with DM to discuss store openings

im sure after that i'll have a decision

the ball appears to be in your court if you have the hospital job as an option, but good luck to you, hope for the best

Amen. You haven't given figures, but from what I've seen chances are you aren't losing enough in the salary drop to compensate for the hell of working at Walgreen's (as a floater no less!).

i actually have a couple more interviews later this week

but tomorrow is key with the meeting with DM

will post figures later

DM had to delay meeting....go figure:scared:

hell yea i'll stay, got loans to pay off, and then i'll go back do a residency (again, they dont know that)

just got a position offered over the phone...residential area? check...closer to home? check...busy? check ( 350 or so, i like busy cuz day flys by)...opportunity for manager? check as the pharm manager is really old and looking to retire soon....

great position offer IMO....i go tomorrow to get face to face meeting to work out the details

You know Pharmacy is in trouble when an offer of Wag's staff position gets pharmacists excited...

hell yea i'll stay, got loans to pay off, and then i'll go back do a residency (again, they dont know that)

just got a position offered over the phone...residential area? check...closer to home? check...busy? check ( 350 or so, i like busy cuz day flys by)...opportunity for manager? check as the pharm manager is really old and looking to retire soon....

great position offer IMO....i go tomorrow to get face to face meeting to work out the details

Good Luck!

We have one rph excited about leaving cvs, another elated about staffing at wags. I'm confused, what the hell is going on?

Well I hope at least the registers are fun to run

To op: you said you want to do a residency. How long have you been doing retail? Your chances of getting a spot may be decreasing pretty quickly (if available at all)

if 50 yr olds can go back to go to med school, i think i can find a residency....i have a solid resume and i am hardly concerned about getting in....i just graduated this year

We have one rph excited about leaving cvs, another elated about staffing at wags. I'm confused, what the hell is going on?

Well I hope at least the registers are fun to run

To op: you said you want to do a residency. How long have you been doing retail? Your chances of getting a spot may be decreasing pretty quickly (if available at all)

hell yes i love ringing the register...perfect time for counseling and avoiding the harmful OTC drug interaction

You know Pharmacy is in trouble when an offer of Wag's staff position gets pharmacists excited...

no one is hiring within 50 mile radius of my home...this spot is the closest i found at 55....things and priorities change when one has sick family members to care for

no one is hiring within 50 mile radius of my home...this spot is the closest i found at 55....things and priorities change when one has sick family members to care for

I'm not criticizing your decision nor situation.

im in this another 8 months, one year tops

the hosp. positions are good, but they are farther away from home then i can handle at the moment

this is just a means to an end folks

Just got this in my e-mail. what do you think?

CompleteRx... Redefining Pharmacy Management

CompleteRx is a leading provider of innovative hospital pharmacy management services to acute care hospitals. Founded in 1998, our experienced leadership team serves hospitals nationwide guaranteeing service commitments for regulatory compliance, nursing satisfaction and education. In addition, CompleteRx assumes the financial risk to control hospital pharmacy costs.

CompleteRx invites you to share your talents with a company that has an uplifting perspective on employment. Join us and you will experience an employee driven organization with a work environment based on mutual respect, continuous career development opportunities, and a unique company culture.

HOT NEW!! Employment Opportunities with CompleteRx in Texas
Directors of Pharmacy Needed in Texas
Salary 150k plus 25k Sign on Bonus!
Housing Allowance, Bonus Potential & Relocation

Just got this in my e-mail. what do you think?

CompleteRx... Redefining Pharmacy Management

CompleteRx is a leading provider of innovative hospital pharmacy management services to acute care hospitals. Founded in 1998, our experienced leadership team serves hospitals nationwide guaranteeing service commitments for regulatory compliance, nursing satisfaction and education. In addition, CompleteRx assumes the financial risk to control hospital pharmacy costs.

CompleteRx invites you to share your talents with a company that has an uplifting perspective on employment. Join us and you will experience an employee driven organization with a work environment based on mutual respect, continuous career development opportunities, and a unique company culture.

HOT NEW!! Employment Opportunities with CompleteRx in Texas
Directors of Pharmacy Needed in Texas
Salary 150k plus 25k Sign on Bonus!
Housing Allowance, Bonus Potential & Relocation

Probably Odessa....

Complete RX throws a great party at ASHP Midyear..

I forgot, I know where your want ads are...that one at the new cardiac hospital sounds great for a dude looking for a first go at it...hmmm...and by my calculations, only a scant 35 minute drive to a dave and buster's....double hmmm....too bad I don't have two years experience that is apparently a requirement...though, hell, just a job there looks cool...

Think you could find my wife a job somewhere else around town, z?

Last edited:
Yeah, my career goal is to be Priapism321's director some day. Everyone knows that.

For real though, you got anything near a decently populated area...preferably around a dave and buster's?

You wanna move to North Texas area? We got D&B.... 3 of em.

I forgot, I know where your want ads are...that one at the new cardiac hospital sounds great for a dude looking for a first go at it...hmmm...and by my calculations, only a scant 35 minute drive to a dave and buster's....double hmmm....too bad I don't have two years experience that is apparently a requirement...though, hell, just a job there looks cool...

Think you could find my wife a job somewhere else around town, z?

I don't know what hospital you're talking about...