Walgreens Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muksyed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Are there any Pharmacy students who are using the scholarships from Walgreens. I was thinking should i use that opportunity.

Any cons/ Pros OR any suggestions or comments would be kindly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Giant Eagle offers a $1,000 scholarship twice a year for all employees and there are no strings attached other than sending in an unofficial copy of your grades (must be all As and Bs, the amount gets reduced to $500 if you get one C) and a copy of your tuition or book payments.

I currently work for Walgreens and opted not to take their "tuition assistance". I am very unhappy with Walgreens and I really don't want to work for them after graduation. I would like to have all of my options open to me and not be stuck with Walgreens. I suggest evaluating whether or not you will be happy at Walgreens and if you intend on working for them after graduation. If you take an award you must pay them back with one year of service. If you do not stay the whole time you must pay them back the entire amount plus interest. Ex. if you take all of the awards (i think currently about $13,000) you would owe them 6 years of service, If you only work 5 years 11 months you must pay it ALL back with interest. If the place you left Walgreens for was giving sign on bonuses that would cover that then it could be a possibility. I just suggest evaluating where you want to be when you graduate. Even though this would be a guaranteed job I just couldn't do it. Maybe things are different where you live!! Good luck with your decidion!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe things are different where you live!! Good luck with your decidion!

And right you are, I currently work for WAG corporate and have insight to many possibilities that are available to a graduate once finished with school. It is so funny how people think the only job/role a pharmacist could have is in a retail setting.

My suggestion to those who currently work for WAG (wherever you live) is to periodically look at job postings to get an idea of the variety of positions that are available to a PharmD.

And right you are, I currently work for WAG corporate and have insight to many possibilities that are available to a graduate once finished with school. It is so funny how people think the only job/role a pharmacist could have is in a retail setting.

My suggestion to those who currently work for WAG (wherever you live) is to periodically look at job postings to get an idea of the variety of positions that are available to a PharmD.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Also, don't forget the intangible of job security. Nobody knows what the future will be like, especially the job market for new grads. Most of us will have a lot debt and we will need at least a decent paying job to pay those loans back. Taking the WAG money will get/keep your foot in the door and allow you to be a pharm intern and most likely a pharmacist upon graduation. I'm not too thrilled about working for WAGS after graduation, but I am gonna take the money and try my best to keep my status with them.

Beggers can't be choosers when push comes to shove and a lot of pharm d graduates are looking for employment. Plus, WAG corporate has many opportunities for us outside the retail level. As much as retail sucks at times...it's a solid $50-60/hr job with benefits, profit sharing, vacation days and etc.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Also, don't forget the intangible of job security. Nobody knows what the future will be like, especially the job market for new grads. Most of us will have a lot debt and we will need at least a decent paying job to pay those loans back. Taking the WAG money will get/keep your foot in the door and allow you to be a pharm intern and most likely a pharmacist upon graduation. I'm not too thrilled about working for WAGS after graduation, but I am gonna take the money and try my best to keep my status with them.

Beggers can't be choosers when push comes to shove and a lot of pharm d graduates are looking for employment. Plus, WAG corporate has many opportunities for us outside the retail level. As much as retail sucks at times...it's a solid $50-60/hr job with benefits, profit sharing, vacation days and etc.

Haha, I could tell by that sig who you were! Whats up man, I didnt know you were on SDN too?

This is your 'ol organic chem I buddy

Haha, I could tell by that sig who you were! Whats up man, I didnt know you were on SDN too?

This is your 'ol organic chem I buddy

Haha! Brandon?!? Which organic I buddy? Now you got me all confused and crap...aahhhhhh :eek:

Does anyone have any experience in taking the Walgreens scholarship for 1 year, but not going to work for them as a pharmacist? I wasn't offered a position with them in my area and they never contacted about how to repay them.

So, any ideas? I don't want to get stuck paying interest, but I don't want to remind them about it either.

Haha! Brandon?!? Which organic I buddy? Now you got me all confused and crap...aahhhhhh :eek:

LOL, yea its me Brandon! Your WAG partner in crime haha!

LOL, yea its me Brandon! Your WAG partner in crime haha!

Haha! I thought so...cool bro! Yea man, I've been on SDN for a year or so...good source of pharm info and whatnot. Plus, I get bored sometimes and like reading the crazy posts. Good to know you're on here too, we'll keep in touch.

Does anyone have any experience in taking the Walgreens scholarship for 1 year, but not going to work for them as a pharmacist? I wasn't offered a position with them in my area and they never contacted about how to repay them.

So, any ideas? I don't want to get stuck paying interest, but I don't want to remind them about it either.

Hey there>

I know it's been a while, but what ever happened to the loan? Did you pay it back finally?

Hello has any recent graduates who have accepted the Walgreens scholarhip in the past been offered a job ?

Hi,

Are there any Pharmacy students who are using the scholarships from Walgreens. I was thinking should i use that opportunity.

Any cons/ Pros OR any suggestions or comments would be kindly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

If they are trying to tie you down in order to keep the scholarship, and they will garuntee you a job in retail (if that is your career path) than go for it... IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO... otherwise... I personally don't think it's worth it!

Hello has any recent graduates who have accepted the Walgreens scholarhip in the past been offered a job ?

I know some of my classmates accepted it and have received better offers some place else... now they are going to have to make up their mind... We just had a job fair for community pharmacy and walgreens were offering on the spot manager positions... crazy right