Walgrens staff pharmacist hours getting cut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should we do to fight salarie cuts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lamasacrerx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it that as soon as October this year Walgreens will start its dream to come true project of cutting pharmacist labor cost here in Florida. The over supply of pharmacist is finally paying off. They are going to start with the reduction of Staff Pharmacists hours as a preliminary step to curve down Pharmacist's salary. Does anyone knows any other detail of the process? Please input here, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Switch to Costco pharmacy or Walmart pharmacy. There is also CVS but they suck just as bad.

My area is cutting the overlap out of the 2 permanent relief shifts each week per store. That will decrease pharmacist hours by 4 hours each week for each store. The staff pharmacists are fine - it's the float staff this will screw over. This was originally scheduled to happen in May but they were just told last week it has been delayed.

Possibly because this area is looking to adjust the pharmacy hours from the current 8 AM-10 PM to 9 AM-9 PM. That can be done with 2 pharmacists and no relief pharmacist at all except for vacation or sick time coverage.

Members don't see this ad :)
My area is cutting the overlap out of the 2 permanent relief shifts each week per store. That will decrease pharmacist hours by 4 hours each week for each store. The staff pharmacists are fine - it's the float staff this will screw over. This was originally scheduled to happen in May but they were just told last week it has been delayed.

Possibly because this area is looking to adjust the pharmacy hours from the current 8 AM-10 PM to 9 AM-9 PM. That can be done with 2 pharmacists and no relief pharmacist at all except for vacation or sick time coverage.

I have a feeling this will be a slow transition over to non-overlap schedules like that of CVS and RA currently.

Reactions: 1 user
In my area herein Midwest, all the tier 3 and tier 2 store are getting cut 4-5 hrs RPh overlap.

As a RxM, I'm pretty used to corporate cutting my tech hours...but cutting RPh hours is gonna be tough. It also sucks for my staff pharmacists since this essentially means she/he is getting a pay cut. I don't think that's fair but the DM said there's really not much we can do...smh

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

These companies are "trimming" the fat. One of the examples is CVS in NYC, which closed their 24 hour stores and removing overnight pharmacists. All of these newly minted students' have a major flaw in their mentality. "If I don't get a position in a hospital setting, I'll just settle for CVS or Walgreen's." Wrong!

These companies are "trimming" the fat. One of the examples is CVS in NYC, which closed their 24 hour stores and removing overnight pharmacists. All of these newly minted students' have a major flaw in their mentality. "If I don't get a position in a hospital setting, I'll just settle for CVS or Walgreen's." Wrong!

Good point. Those abundant retail positions are becoming fewer and fewer every passing year.

One of the reasons I went into hospital is because it feels like having more experience actually makes you more valuable to the institution, rather than just being some burnout that they can replace at the drop of a dime. That may not actually be true in practice, but it does sound good.

no way you would ever be able to unionize - there are way to many people willing to cross the picket lines to pay their student loans. Walgreens busted the union in Chicago 10 years ago - and they were paying sign on bonuses back then but people still wouldn't stick it out

You can cut rph hours just replace it with tech hours, cheaper. Heck, most stores probably don't need overlap as long as tech/robot counts all rxs. You can do 300-400 rx/rph/day. This is probably hard for average rph. For fast rph, this is completely doable.

If they cut staff or manager down to less than 40 and they force you to stay less than 40, I'll be looking for another job or move up to management position.

I'll be the first to cross the picket line also, I don't like the union.

no way you would ever be able to unionize - there are way to many people willing to cross the picket lines to pay their student loans. Walgreens busted the union in Chicago 10 years ago - and they were paying sign on bonuses back then but people still wouldn't stick it out

Makes you wonder how Kaiser pharmacists ever pulled it off. In my experience, this field is full of conservative people who would never even consider unionizing.

There are simply going to be fewer retail pharmacists employed than there was in the past. Retail was overbuilt and now that we are at rock bottom reimbursement rates something has to give. I really don't know what prepharmacy students are thinking going into the profession right now, god help them.

You can cut rph hours just replace it with tech hours, cheaper. Heck, most stores probably don't need overlap as long as tech/robot counts all rxs. You can do 300-400 rx/rph/day. This is probably hard for average rph. For fast rph, this is completely doable.

If they cut staff or manager down to less than 40 and they force you to stay less than 40, I'll be looking for another job or move up to management position.

They were also told the contract with Yuyama is not continuing. No idea what will happen as they need parts/maintenance.

The vending machines are being installed around here but the current machines aren't catching on.

I am so thankful I don't work retail and I am concerned for my family members who do. It seems to get get worse every year.

Management position? Like PIC or district supervisor? If it's the latter, realize you'll be the first to go if layoffs happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
They were also told the contract with Yuyama is not continuing. No idea what will happen as they need parts/maintenance.

The vending machines are being installed around here but the current machines aren't catching on.

I am so thankful I don't work retail and I am concerned for my family members who do. It seems to get get worse every year.
They should just get ScriptPro automation

Management position? Like PIC or district supervisor? If it's the latter, realize you'll be the first to go if layoffs happen.
This line of thought is why I'm hoping to land a public health position at some point. I'm no longer convinced I can work in this field (as a trench-level grunt) for the next 30 years. I'm just stashing money and watching trends.

I meant going from staff to PIC to get guarantee 40 hours. Not sure why I put "staff or manager". If they only guarantee 32hrs and you only get that every week, that's when I'll be looking for another job too.

Getting rid of pharmacist overlap could eventually lead to getting rid of "slow" pharmacists, as long as there are people available to verify 400+ in 12-13 hours.

I meant going from staff to PIC to get guarantee 40 hours. Not sure why I put "staff or manager". If they only guarantee 32hrs and you only get that every week, that's when I'll be looking for another job too.

Better do it now before its too late.

I work for wags and we just started using Phlex in my district last week. My store is 9-9 so we never really have overlap except for 3 hours a week. But basically when you are getting busy or have to do vaccines you are suppose to turn it on and then Phlex will f4 for you remotely. We only have a few set hours for it overnight before we open at 9 and then can turn it on whenever, i havent really used it yet though because my store does like 300 rx and its not flu shot season so i havent felt the need to. At busier stores though they have it on during the day for more set times and i think they will for sure use that to eliminate overlap shifts in some stores in the future like mentioned itt.

Also since our zebra label printers do not print the pharmacists last name the best solution is that they made stamps with each rph name on it and we have physically stamp every label before putting it on the vial so we dont get dinged if a BOP inspector comes in. not time consuming at all..... Anyone else dealing with this? its at a few stores in my district and apparently floaters have to carry around their own stamp with them and get written up if they do not arrive to the store with it.

I work for wags and we just started using Phlex in my district last week. My store is 9-9 so we never really have overlap except for 3 hours a week. But basically when you are getting busy or have to do vaccines you are suppose to turn it on and then Phlex will f4 for you remotely. We only have a few set hours for it overnight before we open at 9 and then can turn it on whenever, i havent really used it yet though because my store does like 300 rx and its not flu shot season so i havent felt the need to. At busier stores though they have it on during the day for more set times and i think they will for sure use that to eliminate overlap shifts in some stores in the future like mentioned itt.

Also since our zebra label printers do not print the pharmacists last name the best solution is that they made stamps with each rph name on it and we have physically stamp every label before putting it on the vial so we dont get dinged if a BOP inspector comes in. not time consuming at all..... Anyone else dealing with this? its at a few stores in my district and apparently floaters have to carry around their own stamp with them and get written up if they do not arrive to the store with it.

Is this a remote verification system? I'm not familiar with the Walgreen's lingo so I don't know what F4 means. That's actually pretty cool if it lets the pharmacist deal with more direct patient care stuff without getting too far behind, but I could be bad if it leads to reduced FTE's.

I guess in general I'm wary of any sort of automation or centralization that is billed as allowing the pharmacist to have more patient interaction or clinical duties. I'm afraid that's just a BS reason to get this tech in there, prove it works, then slash jobs left and right.

sounds like a spin-off of the power system they were trying to roll out in Florida

yep thats exactly what it is and how they say to use it go spend more time with patients and whatnot. it will do the check to make sure everything is typed correctly (f4=data/dur review) before the rx prints to fill. It is good if a store is very busy and has a lot of waiters because it should have them printed within 6-7 min i believe. Otherwise they say an hour so if there are 20 typed and you do your own thing for 15 min those 20 are still probably going to be there for you when you get back.

you cannot use it to catch up on verifying the number of scripts in f4 (ones you must review before they print to be filled), only prevent more. you are responsible for all the ones there before you turn it on. so if there are 20 in f4 and then you turn it on and then there are 5 more new ones it will only work on those 5 new ones since you turned it on. But some stores have it running automatically at various times throughout the day is how i understand it to be at busy locatons

Ive noticed that they send a lot of things back to the store though, you know because it pops up for you in f4 with a comment box. A lot of them are for strange reasons ie test strips and the box will say (unclear directions). when it is clear as day. We also have it for F1 (aka typing rx/tpr) and lets say its lisinopril 10mg they are always typed as "Take one tablet (10mg) by mouth daily" Every rx they type will have the (mg) and i just think that a waste of label space and not needed on an rx label/more room for error

Last edited:
yep thats exactly what it is and how they say to use it go spend more time with patients and whatnot. it will do the check to make sure everything is typed correctly (f4=data/dur review) before the rx prints to fill. It is good if a store is very busy and has a lot of waiters because it should have them printed within 6-7 min i believe. Otherwise they say an hour so if there are 20 typed and you do your own thing for 15 min those 20 are still probably going to be there for you when you get back.

you cannot use it to catch up on verifying the number of scripts in f4 (ones you must review before they print to be filled), only prevent more. you are responsible for all the ones there before you turn it on. so if there are 20 in f4 and then you turn it on and then there are 5 more new ones it will only work on those 5 new ones since you turned it on. But some stores have it running automatically at various times throughout the day is how i understand it to be at busy locatons

Ive noticed that they send a lot of things back to the store though, you know because it pops up for you in f4 with a comment box. A lot of them are for strange reasons ie test strips and the box will say (unclear directions). when it is clear as day. We also have it for F1 (aka typing rx/tpr) and lets say its lisinopril 10mg they are always typed as "Take one tablet (10mg) by mouth daily" Every rx they type will have the (mg) and i just think that a waste of label space and not needed on an rx label/more room for error[/QUOTE

Two things: if you see F1 {data entry for nonWag folks) is really high, turn on Phlex before rxs are typed.
Second, if the label has the "Take one tablet (10mg) by mouth daily" it's because it was autopopulated by computer. IC+ will attempt to automate all eRxs. If it can't, it's status quo. My store has been o
n version 73 for several months now and about 20% of all new rxs are autopopulated

Last edited:
I was never convinced that was possible
Eh, I was simplifying. I enjoy working as non-management, making good money with low stress. My goal is to get BCACP when eligible, maybe bump up to management, and start up a small business somewhere in the mix.

Wait, wasn't walgreens the company that tried putting the pharmacist out front in an island to "increase patient access"? Seems like they're chasing their own tails if they have to now incorporate remote data-entry to keep up. Might be a good idea to lock the pharmacist in a box, hang a TPN and let the front store people direct customers to the makeup isle.

In my store we do not have an island away from the pharmacy but there is a pharmacist desk right outside of the front of the pharmacy that i can sit it (we have picture verification so i dont have to touch the acutal vial or bag it)

It's ok, the DM and store manager are always like be out there as much as you can, but it just doesnt make sense to me. If im out there its between 1-4 PM. Otherwise i just feel useless being outside the pharmacy, i dont feel like i get any more questions than usual and for me i like to be able to move around quickly and help fill/help ring someone out etc if i need to. Out there i feel like its hard to know what is going on in the back and i always have to run in and out to get CIIs out of the cabinet etc. Not gonna lie, it is nice if im tired of standing and i want to sit for a few minutes though. One time my store manager told me i had to sit out there because someone stole like half our nicotine patches and i need to watch to make sure no one is stealing them. LOL OK because i have nothing better to do

In my store we do not have an island away from the pharmacy but there is a pharmacist desk right outside of the front of the pharmacy that i can sit it (we have picture verification so i dont have to touch the acutal vial or bag it)

It's ok, the DM and store manager are always like be out there as much as you can, but it just doesnt make sense to me. If im out there its between 1-4 PM. Otherwise i just feel useless being outside the pharmacy, i dont feel like i get any more questions than usual and for me i like to be able to move around quickly and help fill/help ring someone out etc if i need to. Out there i feel like its hard to know what is going on in the back and i always have to run in and out to get CIIs out of the cabinet etc. Not gonna lie, it is nice if im tired of standing and i want to sit for a few minutes though. One time my store manager told me i had to sit out there because someone stole like half our nicotine patches and i need to watch to make sure no one is stealing them. LOL OK because i have nothing better to do
I hate that stupid ask the pharmacist desk and to not be able to open the vials and look at the product myself.

I don't like leaving the techs unattended either

And your pharmacy was actually able to operate like this? When I was with CVS the pharmacist was pretty much integral to workflow. Too much to be done and not enough technicians to do it.

It only really works in the afternoons if we are caught up and my store is typically pretty slow between 1 and 4. I still don't like being out there though because yah I am more useful in the back w my staff.

But to answer the question...My store isn't too crazy so yes it def is possible on some days

My rxm sits up there way more than me and I look at the kpi and the wait times are def longer on days she's working sitting up there most of the day.

Last edited:

It's nice that at least your state approves the remote product verification. My store is designed as a Wellness store but the state board would not approve it. So I usually only have pharmacist sitting at that useless desk doing F4/F1 during overlap.

Now that they are cutting my overlap to 30 min to 0, they might as well remove that stupid desk.....

Why aren't nicotine patches behind front register like they've at other stores?

Why aren't nicotine patches behind front register like they've at other stores?
That's exactly what I asked

"Since this is a ~*~*wElness*~*~ store it's set up differently ...."

Surprised nobody has mentioned the night guys at wags getting their pay cut.

Wonder when they will start cutting RxM pay...

This is what happen when pharmacists Supply >>>>>Demand

Sigh

So what is Walgreens actually going to do this fall to reduce pharmacist salaries? Are they going to transition all pharmacists' weekly hours from 40 to 32, or something like that?

They took a big haircut.

Names04.jpg