Wall St Protest Charter Calls For 28K/yr Physician Pay Cap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc15

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please do not post anything from Fox News, or GB's "The Blaze" and report it as news. Thank you, much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)

This will never happen. 28k/year means a doctor will be earning about the same salary as a janitor. You are not only sacrificing 10+ years of your life, but also constantly stressing over you gpa, test scores, EC involvements for a job that earns the same amount as a janitor who's highest level of education was probably a high school diploma.

I know that money should not be the most important factor for a physician but it certainly should be high in the list of factors important for physicians. IMO, if someone is willing to sacrifice their 20s-30s (the most adventurous time of someone's life) studying/worrying about becoming a doctor, they should at the very least be financially compensated adequately.

OP why do your threads always suck?

It's a very strange document but even then those figures are in the deleted but preserved for reference section of the charter.

they are aware that tuition + COL is more than 28k/yr for med school, right?

I think this charter pretty much just killed the OWM.

Or at least my support for them....

I don't think it's fair to say that deranged document represents the movement. 74 people in the world have liked that page. I can get 74 people to support the torture of baby pandas.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think 28k a year is less than what most of the people with the owm movement make a year, given the astounding number of people with macbooks, iphones, designer clothes, etc. i've seen in pictures...

It's a very strange document but even then those figures are in the deleted but preserved for reference section of the charter.

It was a very entertaining document to read. I especially loved how librarians got a bigger salary than doctors by a wide margin and that nurses were slated to earn 500 less than doctors. I knew the nursingunions was involved but im shocked at how powerful the librarian lobby is apparently. :D

Please do not post anything from Fox News, or GB's "The Blaze" and report it as news. Thank you, much appreciated.

LOL They may have to start hiring DNP's, NPs and PAs to replace doctors. Oh wait, they are already doing that. :smuggrin:

Those Occupy Wall St people really need to be more educated about the economic situation to be taken seriously. They are just......fighting for any injustice that comes to their mind without taking the initiative to first understanding the situation. The movement loses credibility when it does dumb stuff like this.....

As premeds you should learn to look past the headlines at the actual 'data'. The 28k figure is from a deleted section of one persons delusional ramblings who has a following of <100 people.

Yes, if med school were free.

How do you think developing countries get medical care? Chinese witch doctors?

First, $28K in developing countries >>>> $28K in the United States.

I'd only work for that little if I never had call, weekends/nights, and was working 2 days/week max. Probably not even then.

Second, it's basic economic incentive. The best and brightest will go where there's incentive to go. Right now there is a lot of incentive to become a (good) doctor, which is why this country has the best doctors in the world. Imagine what would happen to education in this country if teacher salaries were suddenly $100K/year.

These protesters, like the Tea Party on the other side of the spectrum, are very idealistic and inspiring to many. But both sides' ideas are generally nonsensical and not grounded in reality. We need more people who think with their brains and not with their hearts. At least in politics.

Last edited:
they are aware that tuition + COL is more than 28k/yr for med school, right?
To be fair (even if it's still ridiculous), many of these people would probably demand that medical school be free. BTW, I don't believe they have any unified charter, so where is this coming from?

To be fair (even if it's still ridiculous), many of these people would probably demand that medical school be free. BTW, I don't believe they have any unified charter, so where is this coming from?

It's just a stupid thing a couple idiots put together, then Glenn Beck's propaganda blog picked it up. The OP posted it here as if it actually had any relevance and a bunch of premeds are actually discussing it as if it were something the average Wall Street protester really believes in rather than dismissing it altogether.

This is not Europe - you are not guaranteed health insurance. We would be better off if we reform medical-malpractice law and deal with the frivolous medical-malpractice lawsuits that lead to high insurance costs and lead to the increase in medical insurance. This is way beyond the grasp of any "(Communist) Occupy Wall Street" protester.

They also suggest that laborers make $20K/year, nurses make $27,500/year, and teachers make $35K/year.

Anyone that suggests that teachers should make more than physicians are welcome to have an appendectomy done in between phys ed and lunch.

Not true.

You would never pay off your debt with that measly income. It's flat-out insulting.

Never mind the debt. You wouldn't be able to pay the bills: heat, electric, health insurance, rent...at least not easily and at least not without putting yourself in more debt.

Anyways, though I support the basic ideals of the OWS movement, this certainly diminished my respect for them. If this is representative of any part of the group, I can't support it. The propositions in this document are unfair, irrational and full of hypocrisy.

It's just a stupid thing a couple idiots put together, then Glenn Beck's propaganda blog picked it up. The OP posted it here as if it actually had any relevance and a bunch of premeds are actually discussing it as if it were something the average Wall Street protester really believes in rather than dismissing it altogether.

And still being discussed. It's like their minds automatically blank out anything that gets in the way of the feeling of superiority that comes with attaching a lunatic fringe to a larger majority.

Not true.

You would never pay off your debt with that measly income. It's flat-out insulting.

Well, not to advocate this new system. But this system basically eliminates debt as a concept and declares that everyone should at least have the basic commodities for life.

Never mind the debt. You wouldn't be able to pay the bills: heat, electric, health insurance, rent...at least not easily and at least not without putting yourself in more debt.

Anyways, though I support the basic ideals of the OWS movement, this certainly diminished my respect for them. If this is representative of any part of the group, I can't support it. The propositions in this document are unfair, irrational and full of hypocrisy.

As alluded to in the previous post, this is a complete restructuring of the economic system. I assume that in this new world the expenses of living will be adjusted...

< INB4 In Soviet Russia, Wall Street Occupies You!>

Isn't this in the deleted section of a document with over 100 editors that are not in any way screened? There is no debate to have on this.... Docs will never make that little.

Let's entertain the thought for a bit: What if..... WHAT IF... they give 100% FREE Undergrad, Med School, and Residency (with current pay)?

And make medicine a 40hr-a-week job? With lots of benefits. In one or two countries, docs actually make the same as janitors, North Korea?

North Korea has doctors?

WTF 28K for docs and 35K for teachers...AHAHAHA...I was starting to think this protest was a positive step...but now I realize they ARE CRAZY!

They should be uniting against the crooks who did put us in this mess!

First, $28K in developing countries >>>> $28K in the United States.

I'd only work for that little if I never had call, weekends/nights, and was working 2 days/week max. Probably not even then.

Second, it's basic economic incentive. The best and brightest will go where there's incentive to go. Right now there is a lot of incentive to become a (good) doctor, which is why this country has the best doctors in the world. Imagine what would happen to education in this country if teacher salaries were suddenly $100K/year.

These protesters, like the Tea Party on the other side of the spectrum, are very idealistic and inspiring to many. But both sides' ideas are generally nonsensical and not grounded in reality. We need more people who think with their brains and not with their hearts. At least in politics.

This. Just pure truth..I would definitely find something else to do if someone expected to sacrifice years of my life so I could worry for the rest of my life how I could support my family, let alone retirement, health care..etc

Not sure why people here are taking this seriously...

Not sure why people here are taking this seriously...

probably because they just read the thread title and that is as far as their questioning of this absurd claim goes....just the way Fox News and friends like it :laugh:

Well, not to advocate this new system. But this system basically eliminates debt as a concept and declares that everyone should at least have the basic commodities for life.
We should never eliminate debt. It has its perks.

Let's all just sing and chant. :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BjIh0wXttw[/YOUTUBE]

I don't think it's fair to say that deranged document represents the movement. 74 people in the world have liked that page. I can get 74 people to support the torture of baby pandas.

LOL but remember it's on the internet then it must be true. After all, we are a nation of thinkers. We are NOT going to let others influence us with such ease. ;)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTMDVwxNDis&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I'm just gonna leave this here:

[YOUTUBE]wrPGoPFRUdc[/YOUTUBE]

:rolleyes:
Admittedly the tuition these days at schools are incredibly high and the media and culture do propagate and perpetuate an ideal of attending such schools. The culture and media also perpetuates an ideal of having a house and land a many other things which inevitably land people into a sea of debt.

So while the boy in the video... is a bit doppy, it doesn't mean that the debt problems associated with higher education are not problematic. Especially since the benefits of undergraduate education are constantly becoming less and less glamorous.

I read up that document up until the part about free editing.

I'm just gonna leave this here:

[YOUTUBE]wrPGoPFRUdc[/YOUTUBE]

Waste of college tuition. Maybe an orthodontist would have been a better investment? Seriously, this idiot probably went to college for a degree in photography and then got his masters in life coaching and is now pissed because he is 100k in debt.

The thing that is really annoying is that obviously there is some disparity in the wealth in our nation and there are some huge problems in the way our government is run, but I bet 90% of these people have no idea what is going on and are protesting b/c of what they read on some other hipster idiots blog.

Waste of college tuition. Maybe an orthodontist would have been a better investment? Seriously, this idiot probably went to college for a degree in photography and then got his masters in life coaching and is now pissed because he is 100k in debt.

The thing that is really annoying is that obviously there is some disparity in the wealth in our nation and there are some huge problems in the way our government is run, but I bet 90% of these people have no idea what is going on and are protesting b/c of what they read on some other hipster idiots blog.

Actually these people in majority know what is going on. And they know uniformly what needs to be done such as reform of the government and the economic system. However they also want reforms of other problems which plague people in their age group.
I recommend you look up the T. Square incident in China, where basically undergraduate students wanted reform of the government and economic system. They however at the same time believed that these democratic reforms would also include things that college students are interested in such as better life amenities and etc.

These people are not similar to the Tea Party, these are people who in majority are educated and realize that the status quo has failed us. They also understand that our system is not sustainable and that reforms to make it sustainable are necessary. They might be idealistic and want a few things which are asinine, but every movement has a spectrum of rational and irrational notions. The Tea party on the other hand lives in a just world ideal, it is a homogenous system in which they all believe the American dream is something that borderline illiterate people can actually achieve.