Walmart Grad Intern offers class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cnthai

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to start a thread on Graduate Intern offers for those graduating with their PharmD's in 2016. I'm currently a pre-graduate intern for Walmart for approximately a year and Walmart just sent out graduate intern offers a few days ago and I just wanted to inquire about the overall process.

For those of you that are wondering, this year Walmart did something a little bit different. They basically sent out an email to all their current pre-graduate pharmacy interns to fill out (basically name, email address, phone number,basic contact into, NO LOCATION PREFERENCES THOUGH!) and fast forward approximately, three weeks offers were sent out (September 2015).

Of course, the offer is good for 14 days and there is no exception in trying to get an extension. The offer entails a pay rate, as a graduate intern, of $30.00 /hr(or however much it is, 50% RPh pay?????) and it is expected that you become licensed within 120 days of your graduation date, by which you will get another offer letter that outlines your compensation as an RPh. The catch is that, there is no "set" number of hours or where your "home store" is or if you will be a floater. They only indicate the district that you are assigned to and the market/district manager.

So basically, my question is (for the recent walmart pharmacy interns that have recently graduated) is how long will it take for us find out all this vague information (eg. FT or PT, where your home store is, floater/staff Rph)?

Sincerely,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like an offer to float until a store officially becomes available. This is SO early for a company; they can't expect to know their pharmacist needs in one year today, which is likely why the offer is vague. The pay rate is good, though.

Walmart Pharmacists make 110-115k a year. Anything over 115k and I'm gonna have to see some pay stubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Towards graduation ( March, April, or May) you will get a call from your districts manager telling you the specifics. However do not expect to have a full time position once your licensed as a pharmacist. It depends on what positions your district manager has available in his/her district- Full time, Part-Time, floater PT, Floater FT, it could be anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to start a thread on Graduate Intern offers for those graduating with their PharmD's in 2016. I'm currently a pre-graduate intern for Walmart for approximately a year and Walmart just sent out graduate intern offers a few days ago and I just wanted to inquire about the overall process.

For those of you that are wondering, this year Walmart did something a little bit different. They basically sent out an email to all their current pre-graduate pharmacy interns to fill out (basically name, email address, phone number,basic contact into, NO LOCATION PREFERENCES THOUGH!) and fast forward approximately, three weeks offers were sent out (September 2015).

Of course, the offer is good for 14 days and there is no exception in trying to get an extension. The offer entails a pay rate, as a graduate intern, of $30.00 /hr(or however much it is, 50% RPh pay?????) and it is expected that you become licensed within 120 days of your graduation date, by which you will get another offer letter that outlines your compensation as an RPh. The catch is that, there is no "set" number of hours or where your "home store" is or if you will be a floater. They only indicate the district that you are assigned to and the market/district manager.

So basically, my question is (for the recent walmart pharmacy interns that have recently graduated) is how long will it take for us find out all this vague information (eg. FT or PT, where your home store is, floater/staff Rph)?

Sincerely,
Do all Walmart interns get jobs?

I wish my home store would hire a pre intern and the closest school is only an hour away yet I guess those students aren't that desperate for an intern job, I don't get it.

I wish my home store would hire a pre intern and the closest school is only an hour away yet I guess those students aren't that desperate for an intern job, I don't get it.
I kinda see similiar patters at my school as well. Of the 80 students in my class, less than 12-15 people were working as interns.

Hey all,

Currently been employed with Walmart as an intern for a little over a year. I got my offer letter today by email; however, the location offered is not what I wanted...
Based out in Texas

Hey all,

Currently been employed with Walmart as an intern for a little over a year. I got my offer letter today by email; however, the location offered is not what I wanted...
Based out in Texas
And where are you now?

Sorry, I even misunderstood my post. I'm located in Tx, but my offer was in a region not of my choice in Tx. Lol. Hope that makes sense now.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you move will the guarantee you full time hours? If not, seems risky.

If you move will the guarantee you full time hours? If not, seems risky.
The offer letter is very vague, i spoke to the hiring manager and he doesn't seem to care how much i work as a grad intern as long as i dont go into OT. He didnt mention anything about whether im a FT or PT as an rph.He told me he doesnt have a home store set for me yet (-.-) so indeed it does sound risky to move to the bay area. My concern is that nothing is set in writing :(

Ogomez89 did they tell you where your home store was? My offer is so vague :(

It is a bit vague cnthai. I had to ask what areas I would be in, if I accepted the offer. They didn't mention anything about ft or pt afterwards either. They mentioned areas of "travel"
What state are you in?

Currently in Hawaii, my offer is in CA. I guess I'm gunna have to accept the offer, I only have until the 29th.

Are they offering you guys hourly or salaried? They have a new initiative called H20 to make everyone salaried, but it's not rolled out everywhere and I still see hourly full time staff positions on their website.

Are they offering you guys hourly or salaried? They have a new initiative called H20 to make everyone salaried, but it's not rolled out everywhere and I still see hourly full time staff positions on their website.

Not sure if i am hourly or salaried as an rph, as a grad intern my offer says "hourly." I heard theyre trying to make all the floaters and PT rph salaried as well.

And Walmart just posted a full time hourly floater position near me so why would do they that when they want us all salary now... I don't get it.

how do you get an offer in CA? I am a pre grad intern now but in different state. I want to go back to CA if possible.
So around August of the academic year that you will be graduating in, you will receive an email asking you to fill out a form (basic contact info) to generate an offer letter, then through the month of September, you will get your offer letter if you're still an pre-grad intern with Walmart (this is how they did it this year, not sure if that will change). Unfortunately, the form that they asked me to fill out did not ask me anything about location preference.

I just wondered will Walmart start paying you at $30/hr as soon as you accept the offer now or after graduate in 2016?

I am pre-grad intern at Sams club, did not get any letter yet? :(

I just wondered will Walmart start paying you at $30/hr as soon as you accept the offer now or after graduate in 2016?

I am pre-grad intern at Sams club, did not get any letter yet? :(
You're not a grad intern until you graduate, so you aren't going to get grad intern pay until graduation.

A lot of students don't know what the grad in "grad intern" stands for...

Reactions: 1 user
That's what I thought, but my preceptor said that she get paid as grad intern as soon as completed her APPE rotations. Thank you for the clarification

Last edited:
I just wondered if anyone has received same offer in Florida?

The offer letter is very vague, i spoke to the hiring manager and he doesn't seem to care how much i work as a grad intern as long as i dont go into OT. He didnt mention anything about whether im a FT or PT as an rph.He told me he doesnt have a home store set for me yet (-.-) so indeed it does sound risky to move to the bay area. My concern is that nothing is set in writing :(

Ogomez89 did they tell you where your home store was? My offer is so vague :(
That's the Walmart way - don't put anything in writing. In case you don't know, Walmart is rolling out a new program for pharmacists called Project H2O - their way of describing "fluid scheduling". Pharmacists attend a meeting and are told to choose between different levels (hours) of salaried positions while part-time ones can remain part-time.

There is absolutely no information at all on the "conversion" form about the details of the different jobs - only that the PT pharmacists have an obligation to work 104 hours/year. During the meeting, the presenter stated verbally that the salaried part-timers who weren't assigned to a store (called "flexors") could be scheduled in TWO HOUR increments. That's right - that is their only obligation to a salaried floater.

They started out the launch meeting by stating that ten years ago there was a shortage of pharmacists and now there's not, so if I were a graduating pharmacy student, I'd run for the hills NOW. Don't choose retail - period, but especially don't choose Walmart. The little bit more you make now is absolutely not worth it over the long run. The chains are abusing pharmacists at fever pitch, and this latest effort by Walmart to exert full control/ownership over its pharmacists is over the top.

I've worked a few places over the past 30 years as a pharmacist, and none was worse than Walmart. None.

That's the Walmart way - don't put anything in writing. In case you don't know, Walmart is rolling out a new program for pharmacists called Project H2O - their way of describing "fluid scheduling". Pharmacists attend a meeting and are told to choose between different levels (hours) of salaried positions while part-time ones can remain part-time.

There is absolutely no information at all on the "conversion" form about the details of the different jobs - only that the PT pharmacists have an obligation to work 104 hours/year. During the meeting, the presenter stated verbally that the salaried part-timers who weren't assigned to a store (called "flexors") could be scheduled in TWO HOUR increments. That's right - that is their only obligation to a salaried floater.

They started out the launch meeting by stating that ten years ago there was a shortage of pharmacists and now there's not, so if I were a graduating pharmacy student, I'd run for the hills NOW. Don't choose retail - period, but especially don't choose Walmart. The little bit more you make now is absolutely not worth it over the long run. The chains are abusing pharmacists at fever pitch, and this latest effort by Walmart to exert full control/ownership over its pharmacists is over the top.

I've worked a few places over the past 30 years as a pharmacist, and none was worse than Walmart. None.

The presentation on the wire concerning H2O says you can be salaried as low as 24 hours per week, so switching everyone to salaried isn't even guaranteeing us 40 hours per week. The RX manager is 80 hours a pay period, but our other staff RPH is only salaried at 72 hours per pay period. Right now I want to stay hourly because we had some people quit so I've been getting enough hours and getting paid drive time is a huge plus. I LOVE time and a half most of all. I'm glad to be getting a staff position in my home store (I float currently) since our other staff RPH left recently, but I don't see a stable future as a full time floater for Walmart anymore. Our district is so spread out and who is going to want to do all that drive time on their own dime...? Have you heard anything about the PODS? My district is in transition right now so I don't think H2O will be rolled out till next year, but I've heard about it from other districts. Will the POD system work? I was recently called to another district to cover for a pharmacist who had an emergency and their DM couldn't find a local RPH from that store's 4 store pod and if I was salaried there's no way in hell I would have driven over 4 hours on my own time. The 4 store PODS are supposed to provide coverage for their pod, but in that case there was no one to cover and once everyone is salaried what's the incentive for anyone to work overtime? I think I need to be gazelle intense and go on beans and rice to pay my debt off fast so I have more flexibility with my career and not at the mercy of Corporate Walmart.

Last edited:
The presentation on the wire concerning H2O says you can be salaried as low as 24 hours per week, so switching everyone to salaried isn't even guaranteeing us 40 hours per week. The RX manager is 80 hours a pay period, but our other staff RPH is only salaried at 72 hours per pay period. Right now I want to stay hourly because we had some people quit so I've been getting enough hours and getting paid drive time is a huge plus. I LOVE time and a half most of all. I'm glad to be getting a staff position in my home store (I float currently) since our other staff RPH left recently, but I don't see a stable future as a full time floater for Walmart anymore. Our district is so spread out and who is going to want to do all that drive time on their own dime...? Have you heard anything about the PODS? My district is in transition right now so I don't think H2O will be rolled out till next year, but I've heard about it from other districts. Will the POD system work? I was recently called to another district to cover for a pharmacist who had an emergency and their DM couldn't find a local RPH from that store's 4 store pod and if I was salaried there's no way in hell I would have driven over 4 hours on my own time. The 4 store PODS are supposed to provide coverage for their pod, but in that case there was no one to cover and once everyone is salaried what's the incentive for anyone to work overtime? I think I need to be gazelle intense and go on beans and rice to pay my debt off fast so I have more flexibility with my career and not at the mercy of Corporate Walmart.

So is Walmart doing away with paying overtime entirely? In other words, if you end up working an extra 6-7 hours during a pay period, do you not get paid anything additional at all over your base salary?

So is Walmart doing away with paying overtime entirely? In other words, if you end up working an extra 6-7 hours during a pay period, do you not get paid anything additional at all over your base salary?
Well if every pharmacist, except the part time pharmacists, are salaried then no time and a half for anybody. You work over 40 hours a week you will get an extra 3 dollars.

Last edited:
Well if every pharmacist, except the part time pharmacists, are salaried then no time and a half for anybody. You work over 40 hours a week you will get an extra 3 dollars.

But you'd still get paid your standard hourly rate for every additional hour worked over 40, right (in addition to the extra $3 per hour)?

You need to talk to your MHWD to make sure you are converted and also get retro pay.

Walmart at least gives lunch/bathroom break. Walmart is nothing compared to the hell that is CVS.

Walmart at least gives lunch/bathroom break. Walmart is nothing compared to the hell that is CVS.

This depends on the state though: some mandate that pharmacists (even at CVS) take 1/2 hour lunch. I've also seen CVS pharmacists use the restroom inside the pharmacy while on the clock. As for CVS's other issues (metrics, short-staffing, etc), Walmart probably wins without question.