Walmart hiring process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SL2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accepted an offer with Walmart two weeks ago. At that time I consented to the background check and did the drug test. I was told that they would be in contact with me when the results came in. How long does this process usually take? I wasn't expecting that it would be this long. I know I have nothing to worry about on either. I'm just wondering at if/at what point I need to call to find out what's going on.

Members don't see this ad.

2 weeks to 1 month

Members don't see this ad :)
email them.
I'm also a pharmacist. I got my license 2 months ago, bot no job offer so far. I live in orange county. Is there anyone who is experiencing the same thing?

email them.
I'm also a pharmacist. I got my license 2 months ago, bot no job offer so far. I live in orange county. Is there anyone who is experiencing the same thing?

Saturation baby! ;-D

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, you need to get out of Orange County. Too many Asian/Vietnamese pharmacists there... It's hard to get a job back in 2008 in OC. It's probably the worst market in CA now because every Vietnamese and their mom are pharmacist in OC. You are lucky if you get can float position.

My last day on CVS was 5/30/14. Had job offer for walmart. Met with Walmart Sup on following monday (around 6/3) for orientation (left CVS on a thursday). Orientation was 4 hours, and my background wasnt done when I got a drug test, so we started that monday. It is now the next tuesday and Sup gave me confirmation I would do paid training this Thurs and Friday (12 hrs each shift) to do cbls/computer training, would get paid 4 hrs for the orientation from monday, would come in 8 hrs on saturday and get paid for training to do POMS/Cbls, then take sunday off, then shadow/train with my store Monday and Tuesday with the pharmacists there. Next Wednesday I start into that stores rotation. The whole background check set me back a week. Also, make sure you get the drug test for pharmacy applicants(has to be 5 panel), otherwise you will have to redo that as well. I only needed a couple days training because I worked with them as an intern for 5 years, but thought i'd put me 2 cents in. 2weeks-1month is way longer than it takes to have you start. Maybe they just dont have hours at this exact second for your to start. They wanted me to start last week after my training, but after the 1 week setback with the background check, it looks like 2-3 weeks from start to finish for me. Let me know if you have any questions. So my orientation was 6/3/14 and first day in the rotation is 6/18/14. If you need more training to adjust to walmarts system, they might give you longer. Any this was after waiting 7 days for a background check to clear. FYI drug tests clear usually in 1 business day, but definitely by 2-3 days :)

Last edited:
Honestly, you need to get out of Orange County. Too many Asian/Vietnamese pharmacists there... It's hard to get a job back in 2008 in OC. It's probably the worst market in CA now because every Vietnamese and their mom are pharmacist in OC. You are lucky if you get can float position.
so sad. I didnt know that. As I informed all new pharmacists must float...

I accepted an offer with Walmart two weeks ago. At that time I consented to the background check and did the drug test. I was told that they would be in contact with me when the results came in. How long does this process usually take? I wasn't expecting that it would be this long. I know I have nothing to worry about on either. I'm just wondering at if/at what point I need to call to find out what's going on.

Any updates!!!
I did my drug test last Tuesday....
I'm in Illinois, is the waiting period for the background check differ from state to state?

Any updates!!!
I did my drug test last Tuesday....
I'm in Illinois, is the waiting period for the background check differ from state to state?

I still haven't received a call. The market director told me it would take about a week, but someone else said possibly 3-4 weeks. I'm not sure about the background check being different for each state, I wouldn't think it'd be too different though.

I still haven't received a call. The market director told me it would take about a week, but someone else said possibly 3-4 weeks. I'm not sure about the background check being different for each state, I wouldn't think it'd be too different though.

I'm also in the process of being hired by Walmart. What state did you get hired in?

for those of you who were offered jobs at walmart in regards to the results of the drug tests and background checks....just call them . im not a med student or in any medical profession.
i just went through the walmart hiring process myself. they told me they would contact me back when they had the results also. instead of waiting for a call from them I CALLED THEM 4 DAYS LATER!!! it turns out they were about to call me but i beat them to it. and if you think that was all vague from walmart wait til you do actually go to work for them. there is no employee handbook given. i have had to ask for even the most basic employee information and im met with rudeness from management almost as if they dont really want to be bothered.
yes its called following up. im 48 and back in my younger days this is the way it was always done. you call back to remind the employer you were there and are still waiting so they dont shuffle you to the back. calling an prospective employer after an interview where a job was offered and you are told to wait makes them pull all your info up to look at and thereby puts you back up as recent and in the front not the back!:smuggrin:

for the other question about turn around time on the drug tests. no the answer is no. the sad thing about all of this is that each manager of each store does not follow a set set of anything corporate wise from what i have been seeing these managers do things on their own and when they feel like it . they dont prescribe to any actual corporate procedures that are adhered to by every store done the exact same way.

there has been much frustration for me concerning walmart and the hiring process. it almost seems as if the company itself could care less about its managers and the way they present the company to new hires

Last edited:
the sad thing about all of this is that each manager of each store does not follow a set set of anything corporate wise from what i have been seeing these managers do things on their own and when they feel like it . they dont prescribe to any actual corporate procedures that are adhered to by every store done the exact same way.

there has been much frustration for me concerning walmart and the hiring process. it almost seems as if the company itself could care less about its managers and the way they present the company to new hires

Had same experience with Kroger and walgreens . It depends on the local managers style.

Kroger, had basically been promised a job by a corporate guy and an rxm... Turns out DM was not going to tolerate being told what to do and gave me the run around until I gave up. Walgreens, local management did not follow ANY of the traditional on boarding procedures .. thankfully the other side of that coin is that they don't give a crap about corporate and support me in that vein now. So consider it a mixed bag.

The reality is, the corporate people don't really care about you, only $ .. so getting a nice congratulatory back rub on hire might feel great but in the end it is meaningless. If you can bring in the target dollar amount, just concentrate on your patients. You can probably print an employee handbook and policies and procedures from the HR website anyway and browse it as needed.

Only for my office job did I read all that crap, and it ended up being a crap job anyway.

My last day on CVS was 5/30/14. Had job offer for walmart. Met with Walmart Sup on following monday (around 6/3) for orientation (left CVS on a thursday). Orientation was 4 hours, and my background wasnt done when I got a drug test, so we started that monday. It is now the next tuesday and Sup gave me confirmation I would do paid training this Thurs and Friday (12 hrs each shift) to do cbls/computer training, would get paid 4 hrs for the orientation from monday, would come in 8 hrs on saturday and get paid for training to do POMS/Cbls, then take sunday off, then shadow/train with my store Monday and Tuesday with the pharmacists there. Next Wednesday I start into that stores rotation. The whole background check set me back a week. Also, make sure you get the drug test for pharmacy applicants(has to be 5 panel), otherwise you will have to redo that as well. I only needed a couple days training because I worked with them as an intern for 5 years, but thought i'd put me 2 cents in. 2weeks-1month is way longer than it takes to have you start. Maybe they just dont have hours at this exact second for your to start. They wanted me to start last week after my training, but after the 1 week setback with the background check, it looks like 2-3 weeks from start to finish for me. Let me know if you have any questions. So my orientation was 6/3/14 and first day in the rotation is 6/18/14. If you need more training to adjust to walmarts system, they might give you longer. Any this was after waiting 7 days for a background check to clear. FYI drug tests clear usually in 1 business day, but definitely by 2-3 days :)
Hey! Just accepted offer at Walmart as well :). I haven't worked at Walmart (only at CVS x a yr) before so I am worried about training. Is there a training booklet or do they have modules you can do at home to get familiarized with the content of their computer system. If not, do you think the training they offer would be adequate for an incoming grad intern who's never worked there before?

Hey! Just accepted offer at Walmart as well :). I haven't worked at Walmart (only at CVS x a yr) before so I am worried about training. Is there a training booklet or do they have modules you can do at home to get familiarized with the content of their computer system. If not, do you think the training they offer would be adequate for an incoming grad intern who's never worked there before?

I started as a grad intern at Walmart like a month after graduation this year. I worked at Walgreens for three years, but never at Walmart. Don't worry they have a 21 page packet for you to work through with on the job training stuff and policies to read, and like 50 computer based learning modules so you'll get enough training.

I'm a pre-grad intern now and will graduate soon. Do you know what is the time to start applying for WM, especially if I want to move back to San Diego, CA ? Thx

I started as a grad intern at Walmart like a month after graduation this year. I worked at Walgreens for three years, but never at Walmart. Don't worry they have a 21 page packet for you to work through with on the job training stuff and policies to read, and like 50 computer based learning modules so you'll get enough training.
Awesome, thanks! The on boarding process is taking forever. I guess its usual but I've been waiting for 2 months and just did background check now and a drug screening a month ago...