Walmart offer, how much, starting pay, pharmacist? Medical benefits? Vacation time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winnguyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you a pharmacist at Walmart? How much do they pay you hourly? How are the benefits? Medical? How long were you part time before being transitioned into full time? Do you get employee discounts? How much vacation?

Members don't see this ad.

My friend is work at walmart. He say he get 68$ a hour and good benefit

Reactions: 1 users
what's the best way to prepare for a job at walmart?...That sounds like an amazing salary. I will be going to Touro, CA this fall and am willing to do literally whatever it takes.

I am also studying mandarin right now to set myself apart and to further my communication skills with the Chinese population.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about Walmart's medical benefits, how do you like them? How about vacation days, do you get any?

That seems to be high for starting salary at WM. I have a family member who only makes $ 60/hr. I guess that might be location dependent, but she says that the benefits are good...

^This salary (~60) is pretty accurate for the area I'm in (Midwest). Vacation structure is kind of rough. Get 2 weeks starting, then get third week after 7 years, and fourth week after 14 years... I attempted to negotiate that one, but they wouldn't budge on it. You do also get a few additional days off for holidays, which my old company (see: Pharmacy Hell) did not offer. I have also heard that if your stores exceed "the numbers" you can be looking at a pretty sizable bonus as well.
This is spot on. Except for the vacation you start at two weeks and get another week every five years I thought. But you"holiday bank" helps to add extra vacation days.

Yea the bonus are crazy if you meet the metrics. (Which are pretty easy and reasonable)

Reactions: 1 user
I would also like to know if anyone knows about the part time/full time game? Is 30 hr/week considered part time or full time? Lets say that if you start out as 30hr/wk but categorized as "part time", then how long does it take for you to become "full time" (meaning that your hours only increase from 30/wk to 32/wk but your status changes from "part time" to "full time").

the vacation at retail establishments just blows my mind. I have a friend who is a target DM - she said 2 weeks starting and non-negotiable (she has tried) even if you have 20 years experience. At my hospital I am at 6 weeks to start - goes up to 7 after 5 years, and 8 weeks after 12 years - and we probably have 10+ pharmacists (out of 50) who earn 8 weeks.

the vacation at retail establishments just blows my mind. I have a friend who is a target DM - she said 2 weeks starting and non-negotiable (she has tried) even if you have 20 years experience. At my hospital I am at 6 weeks to start - goes up to 7 after 5 years, and 8 weeks after 12 years - and we probably have 10+ pharmacists (out of 50) who earn 8 weeks.

and the pay in hospital blows my mind too... it is all about priorities. Retail overall pays more. There are many posters on this forum that makes close to 200k in retail... including me. My base alone is 150k..

On the other hand, some of my hospital friends don't even hit 90k... with OT. Of that, a huge chunk goes to union fees. Then again, they do get lots of vacations, and an hour lunch break.

and the pay in hospital blows my mind too... it is all about priorities. Retail overall pays more. There are many posters on this forum that makes close to 200k in retail... including me. My base alone is 150k..

On the other hand, some of my hospital friends don't even hit 90k... with OT. Of that, a huge chunk goes to union fees. Then again, they do get lots of vacations, and an hour lunch break.

well I make about 130k. retail in this area pays around 145k - no unions where I am at. To each their own - I used to moonlight retail - and basically I always said you could increase my salary to 200k and I would not even consider leaving. But that is me - I get to walk away- take a break - chat with the MD's, RN's, etc. Come back 20 minutes later and not be swamped. It is all about what you prefer - money or better working conditions. And I am thankful many people choose the money so I can choose what I prefer.

If my job increased my salary by ~70k I wouldn't consider leaving it either ;)
being honest - I make a good living, no point in making more if you don't have the time to enjoy it - life is more about money - a balance, , if I was making 35k and barely making ends meet - that would be a completely different thing

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah. One retail offer of mine said 0 weeks for 2 years, then 1 week until 5 years, then 2 weeks until 15 year mark.

I tried negotiating but , nope.. told them thanks but no thanks.

Nuke pharm buddy of mine got 6 weeks starting.

How many pharmacist jobs actually have 6 weeks starting vacation? I work at a hospital, and we max out at 24 days after 20 years of employment. We start at 12 days and get increases every 5 years. The difference for us is that we have good pension and pay. Has anyone actually found a hospital that combines good pay, pension, and starts out at 4 weeks or more of vacation? I can't say I know of too many hospitals like that around here.

How many pharmacist jobs actually have 6 weeks starting vacation? I work at a hospital, and we max out at 24 days after 20 years of employment. We start at 12 days and get increases every 5 years. The difference for us is that we have good pension and pay. Has anyone actually found a hospital that combines good pay, pension, and starts out at 4 weeks or more of vacation? I can't say I know of too many hospitals like that around here.

Indie, union hospital, govt hospital or govt entitiy, nuke, indie nuke.

Thats about it for the flashy 4+ vacation weeks in starting offer.. far as I can think.

I didnt apply to any inpatient jobs , but would have to say 2-3 weeks starting seems like a good get for most hospital system jobs.. assuming they offer the same for dispensing as they do for office positions.

Yeah. One retail offer of mine said 0 weeks for 2 years, then 1 week until 5 years, then 2 weeks until 15 year mark.

I tried negotiating but , nope.. told them thanks but no thanks.

Nuke pharm buddy of mine got 6 weeks starting.

I did (hospital job) - started at 6 weeks- max out at 8 weeks - work at hospital on the east coast. Also get a good pension (1% of final salary for every year you work) and matching 403b - 50 cents on the dollar up to 10%. Pay is probably a lad lower than our competitors - average starting salary for a new grad is- I am guessing - 105k.

I have a college friend who works at a local large teaching hospital and starts at 7 weeks vacation - but maxes out at 8 weeks.

6 weeks is pretty good. I don't think even the VA starts out anywhere near that. Heck, I would have been ecstatic to even get 3 weeks. I can't imagine if one had a 7 days on 7 days off schedule in combination with 6 weeks of vacation. One would be off almost more than they would be working.

6 weeks is pretty good. I don't think even the VA starts out anywhere near that. Heck, I would have been ecstatic to even get 3 weeks. I can't imagine if one had a 7 days on 7 days off schedule in combination with 6 weeks of vacation. One would be off almost more than they would be working.

well remember, if you work 7 on 7 off, when you take your 7 off - you have to use two weeks vacation

I recently started to work for Walmart (~5 months) in a hard to hire area. We are probably around 6-8 pharmacists short in our district. I make $65 an hour....but was told I have 0 weeks vacation the first year. I work in a relatively new store (opened June 2012); and we are making good progress in increasing business. I'm thinking of negotiating with my manager? Some of my classmates in neighboring districts say they started out with 1 week vacation.

I recently started to work for Walmart (~5 months) in a hard to hire area. We are probably around 6-8 pharmacists short in our district. I make $65 an hour....but was told I have 0 weeks vacation the first year. I work in a relatively new store (opened June 2012); and we are making good progress in increasing business. I'm thinking of negotiating with my manager? Some of my classmates in neighboring districts say they started out with 1 week vacation.
wow - that is ridiculous - did you not have any other options in the area? I would think in a hard to fill area they would have to offer more. Vacation is usually one thing there is little room for negotiation.

This could depend on what you and your partner want to do. But most are 2 on 2 off with QO weekend. So it makes for one long week and one short week

I'm hearing anecdotes of Wags hiring grad RPhs for $5/hr less than veteran pharmacists. And the raises for pharmacists are really lame. Like 25 cents/hr. Can anybody elaborate?

I'm hearing anecdotes of Wags hiring grad RPhs for $5/hr less than veteran pharmacists. And the raises for pharmacists are really lame. Like 25 cents/hr. Can anybody elaborate?

Well CVS, I know the starting rate for new grads has actually went DOWN this past year in Northern NJ area. Now new grads for class of 2013 are starting at $52/hr again if you work days, and $57/hr if you work nights. It sucks as* but its way better to have that job. Raises are BS. I know pharmacists in this area that got a 25 cent raise last year vs. pharmacists who got $2 raises. It really depends on how long you have been there. Older pharmacists are getting smaller raises. Newer pharmacists get bigger raises to help them catch up. That's from what I've seen only though.

Well CVS, I know the starting rate for new grads has actually went DOWN this past year in Northern NJ area. Now new grads for class of 2013 are starting at $52/hr again if you work days, and $57/hr if you work nights. It sucks as* but its way better to have that job. Raises are BS. I know pharmacists in this area that got a 25 cent raise last year vs. pharmacists who got $2 raises. It really depends on how long you have been there. Older pharmacists are getting smaller raises. Newer pharmacists get bigger raises to help them catch up. That's from what I've seen only though.

What was your starting salary and what year? Same location?

Dear god id leave my clinical job pretty quickly for a retail gig at $68 an hour. Holy cow i did not know they were stacking that kind of money.

Looking at these salaries on this thread, it seems like pharmacists are wiping their @ss with $20 dollar bills... It is not all that doom and gloom I usually see in this forum... You guys/gals deserve these salaries! Now lets try to stop the crazy expansion of pharm school so we can prevent these salaries from decreasing.

Ive never seen a WM RPH counsel patients, use the cash register, or answer the question, "where is the kitty litter." How much interaction is there with the nonpharmacy part of the store, district managers, and metrics.

Wow what part of US is it? I will move there soon!!

I know someone with $72.5/hr as a rx manager in retail, the highest I've seen so far. In the fu3king boonies if you want the job, it takes AT LEAST 2 hours to go the nearest civilization.

Are you a pharmacist at Walmart? How much do they pay you hourly? How are the benefits? Medical? How long were you part time before being transitioned into full time? Do you get employee discounts? How much vacation?

I had an intern tell me $62/hr in my area. I had no idea pay was that substantial of a difference now. I'm seriously looking into leaving my clinical job to go back into retail. When you factor in other benefits like otc sales and stock sharing its a huge financial difference .

10-20k difference in salary before taxes does not seem worth what you have to put up with...imo I just do not find it clinically challenging.

I had an intern tell me $62/hr in my area. I had no idea pay was that substantial of a difference now. I'm seriously looking into leaving my clinical job to go back into retail. When you factor in other benefits like otc sales and stock sharing its a huge financial difference .

Yes is now very big pay differnce now. Retail pay is very higher because.

How many scripts per hour is the pharmacist expected to fill? I know it depends on location, but an average I think 16-18 per hour is enough at retail setting!!

How many scripts per hour is the pharmacist expected to fill? I know it depends on location, but an average I think 16-18 per hour is enough at retail setting!!
There is no such metric.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....it varies on store & business, but 25 - 30 RX's on an average day is probably more realistic (more on busy days)

Just out of curiosity, what is Wal-Mart's bonus structure like?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....it varies on store & business, but 25 - 30 RX's on an average day is probably more realistic (more on busy days)

I do about 500 in 10 hours on a Monday, 350-400 in 9 hours other weekdays, and 300 in 12 hours on a weekend.

So ~30-50/hour. 18-20 is just laughable.

OMFG......Where are you guys located...I just accepted an offer in SD for 55/hr.....But 68$/hr is too high man!!!!!!

San Diego is always around 60-65 in the past 4 years for staff in retail.

Just curious to know, How much an rph gets paid in ALASKA? I heard couple of rph position available at Walmart in Alaska!!

Looking at these salaries on this thread, it seems like pharmacists are wiping their @ss with $20 dollar bills... It is not all that doom and gloom I usually see in this forum... You guys/gals deserve these salaries! Now lets try to stop the crazy expansion of pharm school so we can prevent these salaries from decreasing.

I like my pay, but the sad fact is, most of it goes to paying off debts I incurred for pharmacy school. I wish I could be spending it on hookers and blow.

Reactions: 2 users
I like my pay, but the sad fact is, most of it goes to paying off debts I incurred for pharmacy school. I wish I could be spending it on hookers and blow.
Lolololol

What is wmt grad intern pay relative to the pay as a regular staff rph?

Q: What is wmt grad intern pay relative to the pay as a regular staff rph?

A: 50%

Last edited: