MD & DO WAMC 3.35 cGPA & 3.3 sGPA, MCAT Pending: Texas Nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCMike11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everything is done for my TMDSAS & AACOMAS accounts just waiting for them to receive my transcripts and them I will submit.

Texas Resident, not URM (white male):
Unverified cGPA ~ 3.35 & sGPA ~ 3.3. Strong upward trend, got my associates in nursing in 2011, at that time my gpa was 2.9. Just recieved my BSN through Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, 3.9 gpa for my 30 hrs of nursing courses through them. Have made probably 60% As and 40% Bs since then nursing school. With As in Ochem 1&2, Biochemistry, and Biology 1 & 2.
I worked full-time throughout this entire process. Have had my PS and other essays read and people have told me they are "strong". Was able to integrate a lot of life experiences/clinical experiences.
MCAT taken May 6, score on the AAMC scored exam was 506, so expecting somewhere in that range.

5 years of ICU experience as an RN (preceptor, charge nurse responsibilities, also worked in cath lab in this time).
2 LORs from biochemistry and organic chemistry professors, 1 LOR from a DO (also shadowed him for 30 hrs)
80 hrs volunteer service consisting of vision screening for local school districts.

At this point was thinking I would submit to 1 school in Texas (Probably TCOM) and then add more depending on my MCAT score (so my application can be processed). Same thing for AACOMAS, add more schools after I receive my MCAT.

Will not be geographically limited. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The non numbers part of the app seems strong. The knife in the back is that 2.9 from your AA. However the strong trend in GPA since then could ameliorate some of that. MCAT at 506 would put you in the range of 27-30 on the old MCAT. More Texas schools are doing holistic review which helps you. the only other big question would be , why the switch from nursing to MD. your PS has to make this persuasive along with your interview answers.

Reactions: 1 user
The non numbers part of the app seems strong. The knife in the back is that 2.9 from your AA. However the strong trend in GPA since then could ameliorate some of that. MCAT at 506 would put you in the range of 27-30 on the old MCAT. More Texas schools are doing holistic review which helps you. the only other big question would be , why the switch from nursing to MD. your PS has to make this persuasive along with your interview answers.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my PS goes straight into the core of why nursing isn't for me. GPA is my big bummer. Before nursing school and during i didn't take it seriously enough. Will calculate, but my ~ 70 hours post associates will be around 3.6.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my PS goes straight into the core of why nursing isn't for me. GPA is my big bummer. Before nursing school and during i didn't take it seriously enough. Will calculate, but my ~ 70 hours post associates will be around 3.6.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
when i was on the admissions at school i know that the last 60 or so hours had the bigger impact. hell, it helped my app 5 years ago. The real MCAT score will be the only hesitation. Until that is in, no one knows. Invites came in as early as June and as late as August/sept.

Luckily you are in Texas, so many schools to choose from and stats right in the spot where they'll at least interview you at a number of the places.

Reactions: 1 user