MD & DO WAMC 3.38 gpa 28 MCAT, pretty average dude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome Sauceome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just an update on what my chances look like. Now that I am getting closer I have been revising my list and am starting to change my PS and such so as to cater to the schools I want more. How does it all look:

23 white male

Graduated 1 year ago, been working during the gap year

First to graduate from college in my family

Went to a no name private school in Maryland

Wisconsin resident

AMCAS cgpa 3.38 sgpa 3.23

AACOMAS cgpa 3.38 sgpa 3.46 (might be higher with grade replacement?)

MCAT 28 (9, 9, 10)

Very upward trend in grades: 2.82 freshman gpa, and a 3.87 senior gpa (with significantly harder classes)

ECs:

1) Taught drums and was a mentor to middle school students for two years during high school

2) Taught drums and rock climbing at a summer camp

3) Shadowed an ortho surgeon for 35-ish hours, planning on shadowing either FM or EM in spring

4) Summer research at my undergrad, got a travel grant and presented my work at American Chemical society national meeting

5) Research for a year at undergrad (with another professor), senior thesis

6) Research at United States department of agriculture, this turned into a job as a laboratory technician (they hired me when I was finished with my project)

7) Currently working as a research tech at Medical college of wsiconsin

8) Have my CNA and worked as a medical assistant for 4 months at a podiatrists

9) Tutored O-chem I and II for a year

10) Volunteered at a cold weather shelter for 40 hours over two years

11) Volunteered as a cook at a shelter for 6 months (54 hours)

12) Planning on volunteering at free clinic (associated with medical college of Wisconsin) this spring, at 4 hours a week (so probably 70 hours by the time I apply)

13) Alternative spring break habitat for humanity trip to rebuild houses after Katrina

I think that’s about it, I know I have more but I am spacing right now

Planning on applying to:

(DO)

DMU

PCOM

ACOM

KCOM

CCOM

OSU

VCOM

KYCOM

Any others?

(MD)

University of Wisconsin

Medical College of Wisconsin

I cant really afford to apply to too many unfortunately. I would not mind a couple more DO and MD though if anyone can suggest any?

Overall how am I looking? Any gaping holes? Do yall think this is enough schools? Goro does your school happen to be on here haha?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So if I apply to just these schools, these are enough? One could assume with reasonable confidence that I will attending medical school in 2015 with this list?

Agree with Goro.

You would need to do a post bacc or SMP to have a shot at MD. If you apply with those stats you'd just be throwing your money away.

DO chances are good however you might have a tough time getting interviews at the more established DO schools (PCOM/DMU/CCOM) with a sub 3.4 GPA and an average MCAT. Apply as early as possible in June.

I'd add PCOM-GA, VCOM-Carolina, and NSU.

Agree with most of the stuff stated above but, I'd still apply to the 2 MD schools in Wisconsin. No harm in trying, you never know.

Sure sure, I mean I work at MCW and I like it here so if I'm lucky enough to get some in state love from here or UW then solid, otherwise I'm realistically planning on going to DO. There are some solid programs out there. As long as this is enough schools that I get some love from somewhere then I am cool. I won't be applying to a single school that I can't see myself going to. So whichever takes me and is the cheapest

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

I agree with Goro on Marion (MU-COM), I was accepted to MU-COM and ended up not accepting the offer but I was extremely impressed with their facilities, curriculum, and the connections they have already established for rotations, especially for a brand new school. You don't have to worry about any of the "new school rotation issues" with Marion because they already have great connections with some of the larger hospital systems in the state of Indiana and many of them are in downtown Indy which is convenient.

I'd also say take a look into LMU-DCOM as another great option. They have phenomenal facilities, good rotations, beautiful location, and you can't beat the southern hospitality you get there. Everyone from the professors, staff, and students were all amazing. It's not one of the more popular DO programs right now since its only 6 or 7 years old but it's definitely a great option. Other than that you have a pretty solid DO list there.

Your overall stats for a DO program should be fine and you should have no problem landing at least a couple acceptances. Although your sGPA and cGPA are on the lower end for most DO programs, you have a fairly strong MCAT for most DO programs and your ECs will bump up your application a bit. Just rock the interviews and you should be just fine.

Your overall stats for a MD program aren't too good. Very slim chance of getting an interview and even slimmer for acceptance. You can try, but highly doubtful. Personally I wouldn't waste the money but that's your call. All the DO schools you listed are great schools and produce phenomenal doctors every year so I would put your focus and money towards applying to the DO schools rather than the MD schools. Good Luck!

Yea I am probably for sure going to as MU-COM to my list. The problem here is this: While I have heard increasingly good things about MU-COM with regards to their rotations and stuff (just the awesome connections with places that are already established), I pretty much hate Indiana, now maybe it looks different than most of Indiana I am honestly not sure (ive never been to Indianapolis) but I loathe the idea of living in Indiana/Ohio etc.

Now flip that with LMU-DCOM, I think the area will look similar to the area that I grew up in. I am longing to get back to the Appalachian mountains again. However, I have only heard increasing reports of troubles for their rotations.

The problem is that on this site you find primarily people's responses sounding like: "I loved the location and the admin seemed so nice and their facilities are fantastic!" Which is really well, I mean all of those things are very important. But my number one priority is rotations. Every school has similar pre-clinical years and since half of these schools are darn near brand new, I am sure that they have beautiful campuses. Even in quick searching online you can find people concerned with rotations at LMU-DCOM. But who knows, I will give it some more looking.

Thanks so much for the advice though, it is definitely helpful because I am still looking for one or two more schools to put on the list so like even hearing more about other schools helps. Since money is so tight for the wife and I, I want to make sure that EVERY single school is one I could really see myself going to and thriving in. Definitely not a numbers game for me.

Yes LMU did have some troubles within the last few years with rotations but have now added many more rotation locations and have heard that they are pretty solid from the students. LMU is really on the rise now and pretty much now coming out of the "growing pains" all new schools go through...I'd highly recommend to at least apply and check it out. You really don't get much of a feel for a medical school unless you go there and see what they have to offer you.