MD WAMC for MD: 3.65 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedfellow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I would like to start by saying I am very impressed by the community here at SDN, and particularly here in the WAMC forum. The majority of posters are extremely helpful and it warms my heart to see so much comradery amongst competing students and the altruism of many professionals as well.

I am seeking insight from anyone willing to share their thoughts and am grateful for any opinions/experiences. I feel I am in an interesting position with my weak sGPA. The following is an attempt to follow the general format of other WAMC threads.

24 years old, male
URM, Hispanic.

3.65 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA, English major.
Concerning my sGPA: I only took the prereqs (and most “recommended” science courses) and received almost all B’s, unfortunately.

33 MCAT
1 yr paid research biology lab, also won a grant for my independent project
2 years medical scribe
150 hrs volunteering ER
50 hrs shadowing
Some nonclinical volunteering (alternative spring break, summer at homeless shelter, big brothers/sisters for a year).

I am banking on my ECs to compensate for my GPA, which I understand is not ideal.
Thanks again, and my gratitude to this forum and website.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Sir,

According to AAMC, based purely on your cGPA and MCAT (and ethnicity), there is an 83% chance you will be accepted (https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2013factstable25-1.pdf). Given that your sGPA is significantly lower, I think your chances are not quite that good (but you already know that). It does sound like with your volunteering, shadowing, and research experience, you may be a competitive applicant. Do you/did you hold any significant leadership positions in your college years or after?

I understand that you hope your extracurriculars "make-up" for your lower sGPA, but I've been told that your GPA and MCAT are the two most important pieces of information schools look at when deciding who to interview (along with LORs). That said, we all know that GPA/MCAT isn't the whole story, and the rest of your story sounds pretty interesting.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Which Hispanic community do you represent? Language skills? State?

Hi gyngyn, thank you for your quick reply. My dad is from Colombia, and my mom is actually from here (The US). I am assuming you are asking which country my family is from, therefore I will be representing the Colombian community (if that is what you meant?) Unfortunately, my only fluent language is English, and I am from California, an important piece of information to leave out!

Hello Sir,

According to AAMC, based purely on your cGPA and MCAT (and ethnicity), there is an 83% chance you will be accepted (https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2013factstable25-1.pdf). Given that your sGPA is significantly lower, I think your chances are not quite that good (but you already know that). It does sound like with your volunteering, shadowing, and research experience, you may be a competitive applicant. Do you/did you hold any significant leadership positions in your college years or after?

I understand that you hope your extracurriculars "make-up" for your lower sGPA, but I've been told that your GPA and MCAT are the two most important pieces of information schools look at when deciding who to interview (along with LORs). That said, we all know that GPA/MCAT isn't the whole story, and the rest of your story sounds pretty interesting.

Good luck!

Hi BuckyBadger!, thanks for the data, it was very helpful. My understanding is that some people consider Big Brothers and Sisters "leadership" experience, but that attitude is not likely universal. Leadership is certainly one area my application is lacking.

A good point, LORs are important as well! I think I will definitely have two very strong letters from my research in the biology lab. Thank you for your kind words and for your time.

Hi gyngyn, thank you for your quick reply. My dad is from Colombia, and my mom is actually from here (The US). I am assuming you are asking which country my family is from, therefore I will be representing the Colombian community (if that is what you meant?) Unfortunately, my only fluent language is English, and I am from California, an important piece of information to leave out!
Colombianos are not generally considered under-represented in medicine.

I realize that you are going to apply to all the CA schools (we all do/did!), that's fine as long as you know that your best chances are going be OOS. Get the MSAR and identify at least a dozen schools that have a history of accepting OOS students (Albany, U of IL, Chicago med...). If you are from UCR, you have an excellent chance there.

It's not too late to start working on Spanish proficiency because if one is hoping to eventually work or study in California, it's a big plus. I recommend this to everyone. In your case it might be especially helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi BuckyBadger!, thanks for the data, it was very helpful. My understanding is that some people consider Big Brothers and Sisters "leadership" experience, but that attitude is not likely universal. Leadership is certainly one area my application is lacking.

A good point, LORs are important as well! I think I will definitely have two very strong letters from my research in the biology lab. Thank you for your kind words and for your time.
I think you have a decent shot. Great LORs will tip you over the edge. I would think about who will be able to say you are the rock star that you are. Also, I would look into taking some more classes to raise your sGPA.

Colombianos are not generally considered under-represented in medicine.

I realize that you are going to apply to all the CA schools (we all do/did!), that's fine as long as you know that your best chances are going be OOS. Get the MSAR and identify at least a dozen schools that have a history of accepting OOS students (Albany, U of IL, Chicago med...). If you are from UCR, you have an excellent chance there.

It's not too late to start working on Spanish proficiency because if one is hoping to eventually work or study in California, it's a big plus. I recommend this to everyone. In your case it might be especially helpful.

Understood. I will grab a copy of the MSAR and focus on OOS schools, I have heard CA is competitive. Funny enough, my grandma still holds it against my dad for not practicing Spanish with me, maybe it's time to finally appease her wishes, ha! Thank you again.

I think you have a decent shot. Great LORs will tip you over the edge. I would think about who will be able to say you are the rock star that you are. Also, I would look into taking some more classes to raise your sGPA.

Thanks road2md. My LORs should be very strong. I have considered taking some science courses to bump up my GPA, perhaps I will end up doing so after all.