WAMC for this upcoming cycle; top 20 chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone. I am starting to make my school list and would really appreciate some feedback, especially regarding my chance at a top 20 school. If you’re a student at one of those schools some feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Background:

I am a MN resident. I initially went to school with an interest in physical therapy, then switched to more English major interests (professor, writer, journalism) before deciding I wanted to become a physician. My extracurriculars were pretty light at the beginning of college and most them I did my last few semesters and am currently doing some.

Stats:

Biology and English Literature Double Major

3.91 cGPA (3.90 sGPA)

34 MCAT (PS 12 VR 10 BS 12)

Volunteering:

- PT clinics: 65 hours

- Nursing Home: about 25 hours

- Hospitals, mainly in the ED: over 100 hours

- SPILL student supporter: online website where college students seek advice as the go through difficult times; this is a relatively new company and I’ve been doing it and off for a total of around 50 hours

- Hospice: began in October: about 2 hours a week

Research:

- Undergrad studying hematology in ground squirrels: 2 semesters for a credit, one "Dean's Distinguished Summer Fellowship," and volunteering for 3 months after I graduated before I moved back home resulting in 2 poster presentations but no publication

- English Literature Independent Research for 1 month during winter interim semester for one credit: read 6 novels, multiple essays and watched 4 films followed by a 13 page paper describing a recent trend in art.

- Currently doing research in nutrition and neuroscience at a VA hospital through a university (10 hours a week since October)

Work:

- Medical Scribe since September (30-40 hours per week): mainly in the ED and once a week for a neurosurgeon during his clinic days

- 1 months working for online campus news before deciding journalism was something I was not interested in

Shadowing:

- ED: 12 hrs

- Family Medicine: 24 hours

- Cardiology: 24 hours (more to come)

Clubs:

- PT club for a semester

- Pre Med Club for 2 semesters and some “light” volunteering at a blood drive and relay for life

Other:

- YMCA, intramurals, Tough Mudder

- will be signing up for an 8 week fiction writing course this spring

- teaching assistant for anatomy lab for two semesters (for credit)

Letters of Recommendation:

- 2 from English professors (one who I’m still close with), 2 from science professors, and most likely 2 from physicians

School list so far:

U of Minnesota

University of Iowa

Rosalind Franklin

Rush Medical College

Georgetown

George Washington

Howard

SUNY Downstate medical center Brooklyn

Reach Schools: USC, UCLA, UC San Diego, NYU, Cornell, Mount Sinia

I am willing to not apply to California schools since the mainly accept in state applicants but I am interested. I am also looking for suggestions for schools that fit my stats and for better “reach” schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Great chance at getting into med school. Very little chance at T20. No outstanding research, no outstanding leadership positions, no outstanding volunteer activities. IMO, at least one of those categories needs to be outstanding for a shot at T20, or a couple need to be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
My suggested list. Also suggest getting some mroe non-clinical ECs. Get away from clubs and your on-campus comfort zone.

U of Minnesota
University of Iowa
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rush Medical College
SLU
Georgetown
George Washington
USC
NYU
Mount Sinai
Wayne State
Loyola
Northwestern (maybe)
Pitt
Duke (maybe)
Vandy
Tufts
BU
Loma Linda (but check their abstinence policies)
Miami
Penn State
U Toledo
U Cincy
Wake Forest

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the feedback everyone, especially Goro! Just to clarify I have moved back home and am no longer involved in the clubs at the college I graduated from.
Currently, I am working as a scribe, doing volunteer neuroscience research at a hospital, and doing hospice volunteer work. Are there any volunteer activities people would suggest? Also anymore feedback on my preliminary school list or suggested schools to add would be great.

English, I'd recommend checking out the MSAR and reading through mission statements to see if any resonate with you and your values and interests. My n of 1 is this: slightly weaker application than yours, but I've managed to get some acceptances this cycle, including a couple of USNWR ~ top 30. Apply broadly in terms of location, GPA/MCAT scores, and schools with programs that interest you. What I think made my application appealing is its cohesiveness. If you have an interesting application with EC activities to back it up, it seems to me that you'd stand out, however much, from the thousands of qualified applicants.

Also what are your career goals? I might add the University of Rochester to Goro's list for you--they call themselves the "liberal arts of medical schools," which you might appreciate.

Reactions: 1 user
I would add UofR; great school and feel. They like to see persons with more than cookie cutter pre med experiences.

What's your passion?

Thanks for the advice selladore and nervousnerd. My passions are literature, writing and medicine.

I plan on getting the MSAR as well to help with my list, and I'll look into the U of R. Any other med schools that favor liberal arts/english majors?

I especially the the hospice work! Good show!

Thank you for the feedback everyone, especially Goro! Just to clarify I have moved back home and am no longer involved in the clubs at the college I graduated from.
Currently, I am working as a scribe, doing volunteer neuroscience research at a hospital, and doing hospice volunteer work. Are there any volunteer activities people would suggest? Also anymore feedback on my preliminary school list or suggested schools to add would be great.