DO WAMC: Non-trad, 3.35 cGPA/3.3 sGPA, 27 MCAT (7/10/10, PS/V/B)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khronos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
AACOM GPAs (final GPA from both degrees):
cGPA: 3.35 (from memory, since I can't see it on my app anymore)
sGPA: 3.30 (same as above)

My GPA is low because of my freshman and sophmore year GPAs from my first undergrad degree. I was working 20-30 hours a week for those two years and my freshman GPA was 2.1, and sophomore was 2.4. Junior and senior GPAs for my first degree were 3.7 for both years.

MCAT: 27 (7/10/10) PS/V/BS
I'm retaking my MCAT on 9/10 because I knew immediately that my PS score was going to be below my average because I lost track of time and had to guess on two entire passages (as in, random answers, not educated guesses).

Volunteer, non-clinical with 1 well-known organization for 2 years ~ 400 hours
VP of major school club for 2 years
Volunteer, Clinical: 100-120 hours, approx. (all dates and times are recorded)
Shadowing, Clinical: 60-80 hours, approx. (all dates and times are recorded)
2 semesters of research (same group), no pubs at the moment.
Various hobbies e.g. fixing cars, lifting weights, modding computers, all self-taught.
Non-URM, but financially disadvantaged. Been working in some capacity since I was 14.

Volunteered at a community hospital associated with D.O. school, shadowed a D.O., watched OMM be performed in person, have a D.O. letter & a committee letter. Meet all course requirements for schools I want to attend.

I spent a good amount of time on my personal statement, had it read by multiple people and filled in my activities/extracurricular with as much detail as I could, while being neutral. Though, I noticed that the DO application doesn't give you much room to expand on them.

Schools I applied to (NYS resident):

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine, OK
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, WA
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

Any comments or advice on my app?

@Goro @gyngyn

EDIT: Removed my previous comment about only wanting non-premeds to comment. Didn't think it was appropriate after I posted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you'll be getting lots if IIs. Suggest thinking about PCOM and VCOM as well.

AACOM GPAs (final GPA from both degrees):
cGPA: 3.35 (from memory, since I can't see it on my app anymore)
sGPA: 3.30 (same as above)

My GPA is low because of my freshman and sophmore year GPAs from my first undergrad degree. I was working 20-30 hours a week for those two years and my freshman GPA was 2.1, and sophomore was 2.4. Junior and senior GPAs for my first degree were 3.7 for both years.

MCAT: 27 (7/10/10) PS/V/BS
I'm retaking my MCAT on 9/10 because I knew immediately that my PS score was going to be below my average because I lost track of time and had to guess on two entire passages (as in, random answers, not educated guesses).

Volunteer, non-clinical with 1 well-known organization for 2 years ~ 400 hours
VP of major school club for 2 years
Volunteer, Clinical: 100-120 hours, approx. (all dates and times are recorded)
Shadowing, Clinical: 60-80 hours, approx. (all dates and times are recorded)
2 semesters of research (same group), no pubs at the moment.
Various hobbies e.g. fixing cars, lifting weights, modding computers, all self-taught.
Non-URM, but financially disadvantaged. Been working in some capacity since I was 14.

Volunteered at a community hospital associated with D.O. school, shadowed a D.O., watched OMM be performed in person, have a D.O. letter & a committee letter. Meet all course requirements for schools I want to attend.

I spent a good amount of time on my personal statement, had it read by multiple people and filled in my activities/extracurricular with as much detail as I could, while being neutral. Though, I noticed that the DO application doesn't give you much room to expand on them.

Schools I applied to (NYS resident):

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine, OK
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, WA
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

Any comments or advice on my app?

@Goro @gyngyn

EDIT: Removed my previous comment about only wanting non-premeds to comment. Didn't think it was appropriate after I posted.

I think you'll be getting lots if IIs. Suggest thinking about PCOM and VCOM as well.

Goro responded!
tumblr_lwh80pfSKg1r40waqo1_500.gif

Back to serious business. PCOM, I don't think I qualify because they have a requirement that says you need to have a score above an 8 in each section. I don't know if my PS score would auto-disqualify me. Source: http://admissions.pcom.edu/app-process/doctor-of-osteopathic-medicine-do/

VCOM looks great for both campuses. I applied to the Blacksburg one. Thanks again.