WAMC: Recent grad 3.43 overall GPA, sGPA 3.13, MCAT 508

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedsheet16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have recently graduated from school and will be applying for the 2017 cycle and am heavily considering several DO schools, considering my low GPA as well as some in state MD schools. Just wondering what my chances are.
Some background:
White/ Caucasian Female
NJ Resident
First generation to attend college
Dean's List all years except one year which I encountered personal struggles (hence the low GPA) but following that sophomore year I've had an upward trend.

Currently waiting to hear back to become a medical scribe
Currently volunteering at children's hospital (+100 hours so far..)
Currently volunteering sporadically with the American Red Cross (around 100 hours)
Volunteered in hospice (around 300 hours)
Volunteered with children who had special needs (around 100 hours)
Worked 3 months in a research lab (around 300 hours)
Shadowed in the ED (around 100 hours)
Shadowed in children's hospital (around 500 hours)
Shadowed a pediatrician for +5 years (well over +1,000 hours)
Shadowed a cardiologist (around 40 hours)
Researched at school for a year (around 300 hours)
Previously worked as a lifeguard, in a law office & a health facility.

*In summary: low GPA, decent MCAT, minimal research (just not my thing) & pretty good clinical experience

THANK YOU all so much

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying this month or next summer? It is getting late to apply this year for MD schools but OK for DO schools. If you apply next summer you have a chance for your 3 NJ state MD schools and some low tier private schools. You are competitive for any DO school but some DO schools require a DO LOR.

Are you applying this month or next summer? It is getting late to apply this year for MD schools but OK for DO schools. If you apply next summer you have a chance for your 3 NJ state MD schools and some low tier private schools. You are competitive for any DO school but some DO schools require a DO LOR.
Thanks for asking- I will be applying next June 2017 cycle. Also thank you I do have a DO letter. Thank you for the reassurance

I fear that the low sGPA will be lethal for all MD schools and a lot of DO schools as well. Best bet is Rowan and the newest DO schools.

HOW steep an upward trend????? If you had all As' in your final two years, then the NJ MD schools are doable.

Hi everyone, I have recently graduated from school and will be applying for the 2017 cycle and am heavily considering several DO schools, considering my low GPA as well as some in state MD schools. Just wondering what my chances are.
Some background:
White/ Caucasian Female
NJ Resident
First generation to attend college
Dean's List all years except one year which I encountered personal struggles (hence the low GPA) but following that sophomore year I've had an upward trend.

Currently waiting to hear back to become a medical scribe
Currently volunteering at children's hospital (+100 hours so far..)
Currently volunteering sporadically with the American Red Cross (around 100 hours)
Volunteered in hospice (around 300 hours)
Volunteered with children who had special needs (around 100 hours)
Worked 3 months in a research lab (around 300 hours)
Shadowed in the ED (around 100 hours)
Shadowed in children's hospital (around 500 hours)
Shadowed a pediatrician for +5 years (well over +1,000 hours)
Shadowed a cardiologist (around 40 hours)
Researched at school for a year (around 300 hours)
Previously worked as a lifeguard, in a law office & a health facility.

*In summary: low GPA, decent MCAT, minimal research (just not my thing) & pretty good clinical experience

THANK YOU all so much