MD & DO WAMC: Tricky situation with multiple MCATS/lower ugrad gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickysitch08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone might have advice for me. My MCAT history has been a disaster. I took it 3 times starting with a (Jan 2013) 28, then a recent (Nov 2014) 29, and now a very recent drop to a 25 (Jan 2015). I took it the third time since my AAMC averages were always 31 and the range was 29-36 so I can't explain the 25 but unfortunately it is my most-recent exam score. I applied to med school this cycle with the 28 MCAT, but my undergrad gpa (from engineering school) is very low--2.65 cumulative and 2.98 science. My grad gpa is a 3.8 (in physiology-2 years of tough sciences). My questions are (1) Should I bother with a 4th MCAT given that it will be the new MCAT? Will that look any differently if I can pull it together since I'm graduating grad school in May? (2) Should I just reapply straight to DO schools this next cycle? (3) Should I wait, add more clinical work (which I'm weak on), retake the MCAT, and apply maybe next year? (I'd also squeeze in more ungrad courses to boost the gpa if I wait until next year so I can meet the 3.00 cut-off that some schools have for secondaries).

I have 2 years of research from a top hospital under my belt and by June I'll have 2 first-author publications from it. I also have 2 years of engineering work experience, but I have only ~40 hours of shadowing (2012-2014) and some hospital volunteering (100 hours back in 2010-11) and hospice volunteering (~40 hours in 2011-12) which is getting old now.

Any guidance is much appreciated! I am from Michigan so I have a lot of state schools that I called and have said they look at my highest MCAT and my grad GPA, but I know this is not the best situation. I'm trying to do the best I can in terms of my next steps, so any constructive feedback is welcome and appreciated and thank you all in advance!

EDIT: I did forget to mention that I am FINALLY getting treated for my depression/GAD this past month so actually, the 25 last month was during an excruciating bout of depression topped with anxiety. A fourth attempt would mean that being under a much better state of mind as I am finally receiving adequate mental health care to come back to baseline.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake all your Cs and apply after you meet the 3.0 cut-off line.