*~*WAMC (what are my chances?) Megathread*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For sure thanks! That was the word on the street vs Kaplan, so I decided on Collins. I'm much better at school than standardized tests tho so we will see.

Yea, same here. I used an old Collins packet and scored 79th and my stats are very similar to yours and I start at UF this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice that's awesome! Which campus? Did you do an undergrad there as well?

Nice that's awesome! Which campus? Did you do an undergrad there as well?

Orlando campus. Super excited. And no I did it at a state college no BS just AA

Members don't see this ad :)
a. Schools you are applying to
Almost everywhere in California: UCSF, UCSD, USC, UOP, Western

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
(I took Calc and Stats at my undergrad, got C- and C+ respectively, but will be taking them over again in the coming semesters. But the science part is 4.0)

d. GPA in last one or two school years
(Did not major in any kind of bio/science at my undergrad, nor did I try very hard in undergrad. But am doing the whole turning-my-life-around bit and have been taking all the science prereq's at a CC. ...Which is why my overall is so bad hahaha)

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Did not take. I may plan to take, though it's not likely before applications are due, since I want to apply early and hopefully get everything in by mid July.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
None yet, will ask my clinic if I can briefly shadow someone at their dispensary (see (i) below)

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
In progress!

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
2 LORs from professors, one biochem, one microbio
1 LOR from supervisor at my clinic
1 LOR from a pharmacist friend

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
I volunteer at a free clinic and have been doing admin stuff for about 3-4 months.
Also part of my CC's Pre-Health Club

j. Self-perception of interview skills
Pretty good. I like to talk. :)

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
Currently writing, but I think it's pretty good. Also cause I actually LOVE writing haha.

So WAMC? Realistically, I think I have a shot at UOP. But feel free to shoot me down at will! :D

Midwestern, Lecom, Roseman, University of Mexico, and UNT
b. Overall GPA: 3.55
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.31
d. GPA in last one or two school years: Spring 2012: 3.73, Fall 2012: 3.74, Spring 2013: 4.10 I messed up really bad on my first semester (2.45 GPA) :-(
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Horrible, below 50%, retaking it this July
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Volunteered at a Pharmacy in a hospital
g. Date of application submission: Probably next week.

My current major is LifeSciences

I'm really worried :'( my friend got accepted last cycle so I'm all stressing out to get in :(

hello all im going to be a junior biochemistry major next year and I was wondering if I have any chance of getting into pharmacy school. I've done most of my pre-reqs

UIC, Midwestern, Ferris State, OSU, Rosalind Franklin
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
around 3.0

trying to find some pharmacy experience
im the on the board of my schools pharmacy student organization
I did some volunteer work at a nursing home a few years back

Midwestern, Lecom, Roseman, University of Mexico, and UNT
b. Overall GPA: 3.55
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.31
d. GPA in last one or two school years: Spring 2012: 3.73, Fall 2012: 3.74, Spring 2013: 4.10 I messed up really bad on my first semester (2.45 GPA) :-(
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Horrible, below 50%, retaking it this July
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Volunteered at a Pharmacy in a hospital
g. Date of application submission: Probably next week.

My current major is LifeSciences

I'm really worried :'( my friend got accepted last cycle so I'm all stressing out to get in :(

While I can't comment on the standards of the universities that you applied to, your stats look decent enough other than your PCAT score, which I think you already realize. As for your first semester GPA, as long as you can explain why you got that score and that there's been improvement since then, it shouldn't hinder you much.

But you will probably need a score of at least 75% to be on the borderline (50% chance) of being accepted or not, I think.

a. School I want to attend: Hampton University, Campbell University, Wingate University, and Shenandoah University
b. GPA: 3.1
c.Math/Science GPA: 3.0
d. GPA Last two years: 2.2
e. PCAT score: Taking it in September
f. Pharmacy experience: A research assistant with one publication, volunteer and internship at local hospital pharmacy, and job shadowed at a community pharmacy.
g. Submission to Pharmcas: October 2013

If anyone can come with anything to help me with this delimma please!! The help will be greatly appreciated. the reason I went from school to school was because I couldn't make up my mind with what I want to do and that comes from an illness I have. Should I explain this incident in my personal statement. I want to apply and get in this cycle:scared::scared::scared:

Last edited:
UCSF, UOP, TOURO, PACIFIC OREGON , Anywhere else someone would recommend, researching out of CA schools

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

3.90 – major increasing grade trend (4.0 last two semesters with 22 units each semester)
Last 2 years trend
3.59 15 units
3.794 16 units
4.0 22 units
4.0 24 units

Studying for it.

Pharmacy clerk – longs – 1200 hours
Pharmacy packaging tech – consonus – 500 hours
Pharmacy technician – walgreens – 1200 hours - CURRENT
Pharmacy volunteer – Bluepoint pharmacy – 100 hours

June 2014

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:

Cell and mol professor – epidemiological research / I tutor for him (should give me an excellent letter)
Micro professor / assistant chair of biology department – HIV research
(should also give me a good quality letter)
Pharmacist – worked with him / knows me well (should be a good letter)
Doctor – owns his own practice – I do lab work for him (will probably ask me to write it – lol )

Banfield – petnurse (16 hrs / week)
Lab tech – biotech startup (50 hrs / week)
Lab tech – Pain management clinic (work) – 10 hrs / week) - CURRENT
Research – Epidemiological – prostate cancer 1.5 yr (3 – 4 hrs/week) -
CURRENT
Research – HIV 1 yr (6 hrs / week) in lab/hands on - CURRENT
Tutor – cell phys 1.5 yr (2 hrs/week) - CURRENT
Tutor – Virology 6 months (1 hr / week) - CURRENT
TA anatomy – 1yr (3 hrs / week) - CURRENT
Scientific journal reading club – I started it (shows leadership?) 1 year (1hr/week) - CURRENT
Volunteer homeless shelter– 1yr (2-3 hrs / week) - CURRENT

I am confident but am also prone to the same waves of emotions as anyone else that finds themself in important conversations.

I have yet to write it/them, but I trust my ability to compose well-written personal statements.

So here’s the story with me: I went to a CC with the intention of pursuing pharmacy, did great and transferred into a UC on a full scholarship. But, I had zero support networks in terms of family and friends. I wasn’t mature enough to deal with the environment of a large UC and lost control of my behaviors. I got expelled.

I got into a state school a few months later and sort of aimlessly drifted, taking random classes without any real direction. This continued for years until I took cell physiology with a professor who helped me re-focus and apply myself, to the point where I’ve re-dedicated myself to the pursuit of a career in pharmacy (it took a lot of brutal self honesty and introspection to hop back on this horse after so many years).

Now I’m motivated to pursue a career in pharmacy because of the academic/ industrial research opportunities that are purported to exist out there. If anything useful happened during my years of underachievement it was that I was able to work a variety of jobs in varying aspects of the health care field. After the experiences I’ve had, I can honestly say that the PharmD and the field itself offers the career paths that I find most arousing, though I admit I need to do even more reading into the matter to strengthen my commitment to the pursuit.

I know my obvious weaknesses are 1) my grades (I’ve failed several courses – perhaps 10), 2) the fact that I’ve been expelled from a major university.

I know my strengths are 1) the various experiences I’ve had and 2) an increasing grade trend,

Is there any hope for me?

Thank you for all the help guys, it’s been hard for me to get it together after failing so miserably, so any help you can offer will be appreciated – even if the advice is to pursue something else due to low probability of acceptance.

UCSF, UOP, TOURO, PACIFIC OREGON , Anywhere else someone would recommend, researching out of CA schools

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

3.90 – major increasing grade trend (4.0 last two semesters with 22 units each semester)
Last 2 years trend
3.59 15 units
3.794 16 units
4.0 22 units
4.0 24 units

Studying for it.

Pharmacy clerk – longs – 1200 hours
Pharmacy packaging tech – consonus – 500 hours
Pharmacy technician – walgreens – 1200 hours - CURRENT
Pharmacy volunteer – Bluepoint pharmacy – 100 hours

June 2014

Cell and mol professor – epidemiological research / I tutor for him (should give me an excellent letter)
Micro professor / assistant chair of biology department – HIV research
(should also give me a good quality letter)
Pharmacist – worked with him / knows me well (should be a good letter)
Doctor – owns his own practice – I do lab work for him (will probably ask me to write it – lol )

Banfield – petnurse (16 hrs / week)
Lab tech – biotech startup (50 hrs / week)
Lab tech – Pain management clinic (work) – 10 hrs / week) - CURRENT
Research – Epidemiological – prostate cancer 1.5 yr (3 – 4 hrs/week) -
CURRENT
Research – HIV 1 yr (6 hrs / week) in lab/hands on - CURRENT
Tutor – cell phys 1.5 yr (2 hrs/week) - CURRENT
Tutor – Virology 6 months (1 hr / week) - CURRENT
TA anatomy – 1yr (3 hrs / week) - CURRENT
Scientific journal reading club – I started it (shows leadership?) 1 year (1hr/week) - CURRENT
Volunteer homeless shelter– 1yr (2-3 hrs / week) - CURRENT

I am confident but am also prone to the same waves of emotions as anyone else that finds themself in important conversations.

I have yet to write it/them, but I trust my ability to compose well-written personal statements.

So here’s the story with me: I went to a CC with the intention of pursuing pharmacy, did great and transferred into a UC on a full scholarship. But, I had zero support networks in terms of family and friends. I wasn’t mature enough to deal with the environment of a large UC and lost control of my behaviors. I got expelled.

I got into a state school a few months later and sort of aimlessly drifted, taking random classes without any real direction. This continued for years until I took cell physiology with a professor who helped me re-focus and apply myself, to the point where I’ve re-dedicated myself to the pursuit of a career in pharmacy (it took a lot of brutal self honesty and introspection to hop back on this horse after so many years).

Now I’m motivated to pursue a career in pharmacy because of the academic/ industrial research opportunities that are purported to exist out there. If anything useful happened during my years of underachievement it was that I was able to work a variety of jobs in varying aspects of the health care field. After the experiences I’ve had, I can honestly say that the PharmD and the field itself offers the career paths that I find most arousing, though I admit I need to do even more reading into the matter to strengthen my commitment to the pursuit.

I know my obvious weaknesses are 1) my grades (I’ve failed several courses – perhaps 10), 2) the fact that I’ve been expelled from a major university.

I know my strengths are 1) the various experiences I’ve had and 2) an increasing grade trend,

Is there any hope for me?

Thank you for all the help guys, it’s been hard for me to get it together after failing so miserably, so any help you can offer will be appreciated – even if the advice is to pursue something else due to low probability of acceptance.

Dude your experience is sick. I wish I had that much experience. If it were me I'd definitely say your in a good place. Good luck on your PCAT and the rest of the application process!

Dude your experience is sick. I wish I had that much experience. If it were me I'd definitely say your in a good place. Good luck on your PCAT and the rest of the application process!

Hey thanks a lot, it's nice to hear encouragement. :)

a. Schools you are applying to:
MCPHS-Worcester (No PCAT required )

b. Overall GPA: 3.77

c. Math/Science GPA: Science GPA: 3.97

d. Pre-Pharm GPA: 3.90

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): none

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): will submit next week or so

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 LOR from my Organic Chem Professor. 1 LOR from my Gen Bio Professor.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: None

j. Self-perception of interview skills: Never had an interview before

I have No BS/BA yet plus English is not my native language :( I did most of my courses at Community college. I still have 5 courses left Physic, Bio 2, microbiology, intro Sociology, and History to fill full the prerequisite. I'm going to take them at a 4 year school tho. I have AS but it's not related to pharmacy major(Accounting) I'm really worry since this is the first and only school that I will apply. Please give me some advice! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
For Fall 2014 admission

a.) Schools applying to (might shorten list): UMN, UW-Madison, U-Iowa, UC-Denver, UF, Kentucky, Tennessee, Maryland, Ferris State, Manchester

b.) Cumulative GPA: 2.51 (GPAs include retaken classes)

c.) Math/Science GPA: 2.67 (Include retaken classes. I was a careless student until I decided on pharmacy)

d.) Last ~60 credits: 3.51

Notable Prereqs:

(Before pursuing pharmacy)

Public Speaking: C
General Psych: C
Sociology: C
Comp I: C
Comp II: B

(After pursuing pharmacy)

Gen Chem I: A

Gen Chem II: A-

Orgo I: B

Orgo I Lab: B+

Orgo II: A

Orgo II Lab: Taking in Fall

Biochemistry I: A

Gen Bio: A-

Cell and Molecular Bio: A

Microbio: A-

Genetics: B+

Anat + Phys. I and II: Taking 2013-2014

Calculus-based Physics I: B

Physics Lab I: B-

Calculus-based Physics II: A-

Physics Lab II: A-

Calculus: A

Statistics: A

Microeconomics: B+

e.) PCAT score: Will take it this September

f.) Experience:
-Shadowed hospital pharmacy technician in multiple areas of same hospital.
-PTCB certified since march 2011, and have since done continuing education to keep it.
-Was a backup pharmacy technician at Walgreen's for a few months.
-CPR certified
-Certified pharmacy technician for over a year at retail setting.
-Will volunteer as a pharmacy technician over the summer and 2013-2014 academic year at a free clinic in town

g.) Application submission date: Working on it

h.) LORs- Will be getting three:
-Pharmacist I work with (have had good talks with him)
-Organic professor (had him for both lectures. Doing research with him in the fall)
-Biochemistry I professor (academic advisor)

i.) Non-Pharmacy experience:
-Fed Ex package loader for 1 month
-Walgreen's cashier for 2.5 years (while acting as backup pharm tech for a few months)
-Took class on being a pharmacy technician (memorized lots of drugs and laws)
-University pre-pharmacy club treasurer
-Pre-health club member
-Performing research on stereochemistry of drugs (broad topic so far) with organic professor in fall 2013. In spring 2014, I will present this to the entire chemistry department, along with anyone else who decides to show up.
-Wrote honors paper on the benefits of pharmacogenomics
-Traveled to Central America to provide free health care to underprivileged communities for two weeks.
-Currently honors student set to graduate with BS-biochemistry, Minor-biology in spring 2014.
-Hope to be volunteering at food pantry in town over summer and 2013-2014 academic year.
-Often visit and help serve a family member with multiple sclerosis; in and out of wheel chair using hoyer, etc.

j.) Self Perception of Interview Skills: I need to make sure I will be ready for the types of questions they'll ask. I tend to drag a topic kind of far, but I'm very excited to talk about why I want to pursue pharmacy, how I got interested, where I think pharmacy will go in 10 years, the growing need for MTM, etc.

k.) Personal Statement: Not too worried about this, as I write eloquently and am excited about this part of the application.

a. Schools you are applying to - University of Colorado Skaggs SoP

b. Overall GPA - 3.0 (Psych B.A.)

c. Math/Science GPA - 3.80

d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.75

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - 94

f. Pharmacy experience obtained - 1 year of retail, 100 hours of volunteering in VA Hospital Pharmacy

g. Date of application submission - August 2013

1. Retail Pharmacist
2. Pre-pharmacy club advisor (biology teacher)
3. Psychology teacher - I was her TA for Psychopharmacology and Research Assistant for a year.

E.R. volunteer - 50 hours
Teaching Assistant
Research Assistant

Acheivements -
Founded Pre-pharmacy club
Provost's Honor Roll 2x
Who's Who
Psi Chi

j. Self-perception of interview skills -
Need practice. I'm hit or miss on interviews depending on the day.

I'm getting a writing tutor to help me finish it since I don't like talking about myself. Ugh.

Chances? Who knows. I'm only applying to one school, which most people would think is crazy with a 3.0 GPA.

Just curious; why are you applying to only one school?

Mainly because I can only see myself living in a few states. And every other state I think I'd enjoy living in costs $40,000+ per year in out-of-state tuition.

Some pre-grad school students have it all wrong in my opinion. They apply broadly and don't think of the consequences. Why would I go to school in North Dakota if I'm going to want to move away the day I get my PharmD? Then the professional network I spent 4 years building means nothing. Do what you will with my opinion, but I strongly believe you should go to school where you want to live during your pharmacy career.

Mainly because I can only see myself living in a few states. And every other state I think I'd enjoy living in costs $40,000+ per year in out-of-state tuition.

Some pre-grad school students have it all wrong in my opinion. They apply broadly and don't think of the consequences. Why would I go to school in North Dakota if I'm going to want to move away the day I get my PharmD? Then the professional network I spent 4 years building means nothing. Do what you will with my opinion, but I strongly believe you should go to school where you want to live during your pharmacy career.

Slight gamble but you should get in with your stats..

a. Schools you are applying to: Samford University, West Coast University, South University (GA), University of Hawaii at Hilo, Chicago State University, Manchester University, Roseman University, South College (TN), East Tennessee State University, Belmont University, Union University, Shenandoah University, University of Charleston, Xavier University, Sullivan University, FAMU, Idaho State University, Ohio Northern University, Rutgers University, South Dakota State University, Texas Southern University, University of the Incarnate Ward, University of North Texas, Texas Tech University, Texas A&M University, University of Houston

b. Overall GPA: 3.0

c. Math/Science GPA: 2.8; 3.1

d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.1

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Took it 5 times, Highest attempt was 65. Most recent attempt was 61.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Pharmacy tech at Kroger for the past year and a half.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): End of this Month

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3. 1 from my pharmacist. 1 from my biology professor. 1 from my Chemistry professor.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Volunteered at MD Anderson for a year. Have over 100 hours of volunteering.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: Great talker, once I get to the interview I know I will do great on it.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Good. Explained my thoughts in a organized way. Completed my personal statement.

a. Schools you are applying to: Samford University, West Coast University, South University (GA), University of Hawaii at Hilo, Chicago State University, Manchester University, Roseman University, South College (TN), East Tennessee State University, Belmont University, Union University, Shenandoah University, University of Charleston, Xavier University, Sullivan University, FAMU, Idaho State University, Ohio Northern University, Rutgers University, South Dakota State University, Texas Southern University, University of the Incarnate Ward, University of North Texas, Texas Tech University, Texas A&M University, University of Houston

b. Overall GPA: 3.0

c. Math/Science GPA: 2.8; 3.1

d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.1

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Took it 5 times, Highest attempt was 65. Most recent attempt was 61.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Pharmacy tech at Kroger for the past year and a half.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): End of this Month

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3. 1 from my pharmacist. 1 from my biology professor. 1 from my Chemistry professor.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Volunteered at MD Anderson for a year. Have over 100 hours of volunteering.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: Great talker, once I get to the interview I know I will do great on it.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Good. Explained my thoughts in a organized way. Completed my personal statement.

you have a chance at north texas, and more of the schools nobody has heard of. sorry man but that gpa is just a little too low. you will probbaly get into a school nobody has heard of, but thats not even that bad

a. Schools you are applying to - University of Colorado Skaggs SoP

b. Overall GPA - 3.0 (Psych B.A.)

c. Math/Science GPA - 3.80

d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.75

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - 94

f. Pharmacy experience obtained - 1 year of retail, 100 hours of volunteering in VA Hospital Pharmacy

g. Date of application submission - August 2013

1. Retail Pharmacist
2. Pre-pharmacy club advisor (biology teacher)
3. Psychology teacher - I was her TA for Psychopharmacology and Research Assistant for a year.

E.R. volunteer - 50 hours
Teaching Assistant
Research Assistant

Acheivements -
Founded Pre-pharmacy club
Provost's Honor Roll 2x
Who's Who
Psi Chi

j. Self-perception of interview skills -
Need practice. I'm hit or miss on interviews depending on the day.

I'm getting a writing tutor to help me finish it since I don't like talking about myself. Ugh.

Chances? Who knows. I'm only applying to one school, which most people would think is crazy with a 3.0 GPA.

you'll get in somewhere, try a couple not accredited schools though just in case

I just decided to apply for pharmacy school this summer and has been preparing to apply pharmacy school either this year or next year. I just graduated with a degree in Biochemistry last spring. I would appreciate ANY INPUT. Help me please =]

a. Schools you are applying to: University of Arizona (instate), University of Minnesota-TC (legacy??), University of Washington, Jefferson University, University of Michigan - AA, and probably 3 more safer schools.

b. Overall GPA: 3.2

c. Math/Science GPA: 3.3

d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.5+ (I fuked up hard during my sophomore year when my gpa was less than 2.5)

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): I just took it last week with

Composite: 97
Biology: 95
Chemistry:98
RC: 97
Quantitative: 91
Verbal ability:83

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Have been volunteering for almost half a year now in inpatient pharmacy

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Not sure if I am going to apply this year??

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Three. But I do not know really pharmacist which I want to get LOR from. So I really do not know if I can apply this year. I have strong relationship with couple professors which will be ok.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Shadowing in hospital. Teaching elementary school students in local schools. Volunteering in McDonald's house, TA for Biology lab for half a semester, Habitat for Humanity etc.

FYI, I am not going to apply any CA schools because my gpa is just not that good. I would appreciate any input if I have a chance to get accepted into any of the schools mentioned on top. THANK YOU!!

EDIT: I will be not applying to any schools that does not look at pcat as pcat is one of the strongest point of my application:p

Last edited:
a. Schools you are applying to: University at Buffalo (Top choice), D'youville College

b. Overall GPA: 3.65 (Poor first year)

c. Math/Science GPA: ~3.6

d. GPA in last one or two school years: ~3.97

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite):

Verbal: 82
Biology: 89
Reading: 69
Quantitative: 85
Chemistry: 98

Composite: 428
PR Composite: 93

f. Pharmacy experience obtained:

- 120 hours volunteering in a hospital pharmacy
- 2 years working in a retail pharmacy

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): I will be submitting roughly next week

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:

- Two LORs from pharmacists that I work under
- One LOR from teacher I have assisted in research
- One LOR from my chemistry of drug action professor

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:

- 120 hours of research experience in a cardiology laboratory
- A couple months of working as a bookkeeper for a store
- Roughly two and a half years working customer service at the same grocery store
- Roughly one year as a cashier at the same grocery store

j. Self-perception of interview skills: Not something I'm necessarily worried about, I've worked customer service forever so I believe my interpersonal skills are fine.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Writing it now, I will make sure it is flawless.

Also graduating this year with a BS in pharmacology and toxicology (have already taken one P1 course).

Thanks in advance all!

Well, I was originally a pre-med student. I am now entering my senior year of college and realizing that my stats are nowhere near good enough to get into medical school. In order to get into medical school, I would have to take 1-2 gap years and complete a Masters of Science Program and a bunch of other stuff. In weighing the comparative costs of that route , I came to yet another realization: I'm not that into medicine. I always thought I was, but, in reality, it is a bit too daunting for me. I am more interested in the pharmacology behind medicine vs. its diagnostic aspects.

Also, I live in Worcester, and I think it would be convenient to go to MCPHS. Then again, so would UMass School of Medicine, but that is a super long shot, like I said...So here I am, trying my hand at pharmacy.

I understand where you are coming from, but the thing is I am not interested in any other pharmacy school besides MCPHS. I live in Worcester, within walking distance of MCPHS in fact. It's going to be the only school I apply to, since I am not interested in relocating. Pharmacy is an all or nothing thing for me right now. I either get into MCPHS and become a pharmacist or I get rejected and then take on the long, arduous road to getting into medical school.

Basically, I don't think I can get into med school, so I am applying to a local pharmacy school just for the hell of it. If I get in, I will do pharmacy. If not, I will have a year to improve my grades and apply again, this time to medical school.

In other words, I am letting the adcoms of MCPHS decide my future for me :laugh:

Looool!!! I am also letting the adcoms take care of my future, except pharmacy is my ultimate goal not med school... given ur situation i think its smart what ur doin n with ur gpa u will def get an interview invite. As long as ur gpa is over a 3.0 and u have somethin else that stands out like experience or a degree u have a strong chance of getting an interview invite. Good luck to u man, i know I'll be hearing from u soon about ur interview! By the way when did u apply?

Looool!!! I am also letting the adcoms take care of my future, except pharmacy is my ultimate goal not med school... given ur situation i think its smart what ur doin n with ur gpa u will def get an interview invite. As long as ur gpa is over a 3.0 and u have somethin else that stands out like experience or a degree u have a strong chance of getting an interview invite. Good luck to u man, i know I'll be hearing from u soon about ur interview! By the way when did u apply?

What are my chances? (Final version)

Cumulative gpa is 2.8, math gpa is 3.1, science gpa is 2.6 and my last 60 credits was a 3.55. I have a B.S in healthcare business. I know my overall gpa is low but I have a medical reason (eye trauma, chronic pain) that I will explain in my personal statement.

I have many extracurricular activities with school n church so I'll sum it up to say over a thousand hours of volunteer work but very little pharmacy experience. However the little experience I have is from assisting pharmacists during a missionary work trip in ivory coast (west Africa)

My LORs are from a pharmacist, my ochem professor and still deciding who my third will be.
Im applying to mcphs Worcester ONLY like jumbo2 and other masters program as my safety schools. But my goal is pharmacy... im praying that they'll let me in despite a gpa under 3.0. What do you guys think?

What are my chances? (Final version)

Cumulative gpa is 2.8, math gpa is 3.1, science gpa is 2.6 and my last 60 credits was a 3.55. I have a B.S in healthcare business. I know my overall gpa is low but I have a medical reason (eye trauma, chronic pain) that I will explain in my personal statement.

I have many extracurricular activities with school n church so I'll sum it up to say over a thousand hours of volunteer work but very little pharmacy experience. However the little experience I have is from assisting pharmacists during a missionary work trip in ivory coast (west Africa)

My LORs are from a pharmacist, my ochem professor and still deciding who my third will be.
Im applying to mcphs Worcester ONLY like jumbo2 and other masters program as my safety schools. But my goal is pharmacy... im praying that they'll let me in despite a gpa under 3.0. What do you guys think?

I'll be honest with you. your stat is around or slightly below average.
I'm not the one who think 'stat can do everything' kinda person.
If I were you, I would definitely apply more schools..at least 5 or 6 including PCAT.

I'll be honest with you. your stat is around or slightly below average.
I'm not the one who think 'stat can do everything' kinda person.
If I were you, I would definitely apply more schools..at least 5 or 6 including PCAT.

no pcat required for mcphs worcester. Thank you for the reply tho... I am hoping that the medical reason brings up my application to "average" !

Quick short WAMC

Gpa: ~2.95
Last 2 years : ~3.5
-I've had reconstructive knee surgery (tore everything but my PCL) and had an appendectomy before finals, different semesters thankfully, but both are early in undergrad and why my gpa is so low.
Should I mention this in my application, and do you think it will help much?

Pcat:July comp 50
Chem and Bio 68
Retaking Sept 16 and hopefully get it >80 comp, that's how I was testing on the official practice tests...

Applying to
University of Oklahoma (in undergrad here)
Regis University
U of Colorado
Harding University
Texas Tech

-my dad lives in houston idk if this helps with applying to ttu

no pcat required for mcphs worcester. Thank you for the reply tho... I am hoping that the medical reason brings up my application to "average" !

yes I know that part.. to increase your odd of winning lottery by 10 times higher, buy 10 lottery tickets instead of 1. Same thing applies for this. instead of applying only 1 school, why don't you add more unless you have absolute devotion on that one particular school?

anyways, good luck

yes I know that part.. to increase your odd of winning lottery by 10 times higher, buy 10 lottery tickets instead of 1. Same thing applies for this. instead of applying only 1 school, why don't you add more unless you have absolute devotion on that one particular school?

anyways, good luck

I wanna stay in mass and its the easiest of the 4 pharm schools to get into... i know im limiting myself but im tied here in massachusetts. I do have safety schools for masters program. Thank you for the encouragement, i think ive about maxed out my ideas to better my application. Unless u guys can think of unique or better ideas im gonna focus on my passion for pharmacy. I hope the adcoms will be as lenient as u when they see my 2.8

1. South University
2. Hampton University
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) horrible my first time. Retaking it.
Retail pharmacy about a year, some volunteering at military base pharmacy, worked/working at two pharmaceutical companies
Still trying to decide if I want to do it this year
1. Chemistry professor, 2. A and P professor, 3. Manager of retail pharmacy
Just soup kitchen stuff.......
Not the best. Needs work
Needs work. Its OK.
I have a BS in chemistry and took time afterwards to retake and fulfill pre-reqs. I need/will be taking bio and econ

UCSF, UT, UNT, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, TSU, UH, Regis, Harding
b. Overall GPA: 2.922
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.39
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 2.92, 3.13
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 68
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Worked in a pharmacy since February
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): in process

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 2 pharmacists, 2 professors
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: president of an org, officer in another org, pharmacy orgs, volunteering at CIS (Communities in Schools)
j. Self-perception of interview skills: pretty good
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Working on it...it's okay.

1. South University
2. Hampton University
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) horrible my first time. Retaking it.
Retail pharmacy about a year, some volunteering at military base pharmacy, worked/working at two pharmaceutical companies
Still trying to decide if I want to do it this year
1. Chemistry professor, 2. A and P professor, 3. Manager of retail pharmacy
Just soup kitchen stuff.......
Not the best. Needs work
Needs work. Its OK.
I have a BS in chemistry and took time afterwards to retake and fulfill pre-reqs. I need/will be taking bio and econ

sounds like you are very prepared! As long as you do great on next pcat (good luck!) and do your best on PS, you will be fine

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: president of an org, officer in another org, pharmacy orgs, volunteering at CIS (Communities in Schools)

make sure to write absolute perfect PS. have some more experience while applying..try retaking some course while applying too.. then you will be fine!

I'm gonna be honest..... It's def an up hill battle for you and the odds are not in your favor.

I would recommend retaking the PCAT and demolishing it. It'll be hard for schools to resist a 90+ candidate with your extracurriculars.

I'm willing to go to any pharmacy school, regardless of low ranking.

GPA: 2.5
PCAT: 76 percentile(96 Verbal, 46 Bio, 26 Reading, 72 quantitative, 85 Chemistry).

B.S. Chemistry degree. Took additional class in Human Anatomy and Physiology. Taking additional courses right now in economics, statistics, and genetics.

Work experience: Over 1 year at a hospital pharmacy. I have my CPHT (Certified Pharm Tech).

Volunteer Experience: Red Cross

What are my chances and what schools would consider me? Considering: Lipscomb, Union University, Manchester, Creighton, USF. Please suggest anymore (any) that might be a good fit. I really want to get in this year and am confident I can make a very compelling case. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I'm willing to go to any pharmacy school, regardless of low ranking.

GPA: 2.5
PCAT: 76 percentile(96 Verbal, 46 Bio, 26 Reading, 72 quantitative, 85 Chemistry).

B.S. Chemistry degree. Took additional class in Human Anatomy and Physiology. Taking additional courses right now in economics, statistics, and genetics.

Work experience: Over 1 year at a hospital pharmacy. I have my CPHT (Certified Pharm Tech).

Volunteer Experience: Red Cross

What are my chances and what schools would consider me? Considering: Lipscomb, Union University, Manchester, Creighton, USF. Please suggest anymore (any) that might be a good fit. I really want to get in this year and am confident I can make a very compelling case. Thanks for your help.

Try any schools 70 or worse ranked.

Hey everyone, so i currently am enrolled at moraine valley community college (fairly well known around the Chicagoland area) and im almost finished taking the pre-pharm courses. i have already obtained my associates this past spring (non-science related) but im really concerned about my chances of actually getting accepted into a pharm program coming from a community college. My grades, the first few semesters weren't something to be proud of. mostly B's and C's with a few dropped classes. But after deciding pharm is what i wanted to do, i have been getting straight A's so far. The only pre-pharm courses required that i do not have an A in is stuff like the communication classes (C's) and some of the other electives.

Schools applying to: UIC, midwestern, chicago state
Current cumulative GPA: 3.2
Current science GPA: 4.0 (still have to take one organic chem course, one physics, and calc.)
Work History: random jobs like car dealership valet, tire shop, etc...But currently a low-end manager at a fitness center.

I have yet to take the PCAT, but is there any advice u guys have on how i can improve my chances? Or am i wasting my time on something unattainable?

a. UNC (my first choice), Campbell, and Wingate
b. Associate's Degree 2010 with gpa 3.82 B.S. Biology from UNCW with gpa 3.31
c. Courses:
Biology: A
A&P I: A
A&P II: C
Micro: A
Gen Chem I: AP score 3
Gen Chem II: A
Organic Chem I: B+ Lab: A
Organic Chem II: A Lab A
Stat: AP score 3
Calc: A
Physics I: A
Physics II: C

I also took Graduate level Medicinal Chem at UNCW and got an A!

e. PCAT: 90
f. Pharmacy experience obtained:
just started as CVS Pharmacy Tech

g. Will submit application next week

h. 3 LOR: Head of Organic Chemistry Labs, Immunology professor (Had him for biology 101 at my community college and for immunology at UNCW), and 1 from my boss from clinical research job

I am currently working in my personal statement, English is my second language so I'm having trouble making it strong.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Hey all! I'm applying for Fall 2014. I'm still in my undergrad so that's why I'm a little nervous about my chances, but both schools I'm applying for accept undergrads as long as they've fulfilled all the prereqs. I'm applying to both Thomas Jeff University and Temple, but if I get accepted to Thomas Jeff I'm automatically going there.

My current GPA and GPA for the last few years is a 3.53, I've gotten only A's or B's, especially in my science classes. So roughly estimating, my science/math GPA is probably around the same as my current GPA.

Since last January I have been volunteering in the Pharmacy at Jefferson's second hospital in a different part of Philly (so not on their main campus). So i've logged a lot of volunteer hours into my experience there. I'm friendly with their head of Pharmacy there also because of this, and because my dad is an alumni of the school and my mom has worked for the hospital for 30 years. Hoping that including my parent's background with the hospital in my supplemental may earn me a brownie point or two.

I have not taken my PCAT though, I have it scheduled for early November. Its the only thing I'm not super confident about. How do my chances sound not considering that though?

Hey all! I'm applying for Fall 2014. I'm still in my undergrad so that's why I'm a little nervous about my chances, but both schools I'm applying for accept undergrads as long as they've fulfilled all the prereqs. I'm applying to both Thomas Jeff University and Temple, but if I get accepted to Thomas Jeff I'm automatically going there.

My current GPA and GPA for the last few years is a 3.53, I've gotten only A's or B's, especially in my science classes. So roughly estimating, my science/math GPA is probably around the same as my current GPA.

Since last January I have been volunteering in the Pharmacy at Jefferson's second hospital in a different part of Philly (so not on their main campus). So i've logged a lot of volunteer hours into my experience there. I'm friendly with their head of Pharmacy there also because of this, and because my dad is an alumni of the school and my mom has worked for the hospital for 30 years. Hoping that including my parent's background with the hospital in my supplemental may earn me a brownie point or two.

I have not taken my PCAT though, I have it scheduled for early November. Its the only thing I'm not super confident about. How do my chances sound not considering that though?

sounds like you need to apply at least 1 or 2 more schools just for safety. anyways, good luck with your PCAT..as long as you have more than 50~60+, you should be fine..

Touro CA, western university, Pacific university oregon, Northstate, Manchester, Westcoast University
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
math: 2.35 sci: 2.86
2.89 (junior) / 3.32 (senior)
none
Volunteered at Walgreens pharmacy for 200 hours. Also have PTCB certified pharm tech lisence.
Pharmcas will mail my app to schools next week. Supplemental materials are already sent

2 as of now (pharmacist and inorganic chem professor). Working on getting one from my physio professor also
volunteered in emergency dept of local hospital for a year
decent
decent

Last edited:
Touro CA, western university, Pacific university oregon, Northstate, Manchester, Westcoast University
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
math: 2.35 sci: 2.86
2.89 (junior) / 3.32 (senior)
none
Volunteered at Walgreens pharmacy for 200 hours. Also have PTCB certified pharm tech lisence.
Pharmcas will mail my app to schools next week. Supplemental materials are already sent

2 as of now (pharmacist and inorganic chem professor). Working on getting one from my physio professor also
volunteered in emergency dept of local hospital for a year
decent
decent

You will have some uphill battle.. I won't lie to you.
If I were you, I would do improve GPA by retaking some courses and also get Bachelor degree at least (if you don't have one). Volunteer sounds great but may be better as working tech..

West Coast is a new school..so you will have better chance than others..but still, go take PCAT and try other low-tier schools in other states too.

Try any schools 70 or worse ranked.

Thanks for the reply. Do I have any chance at a 70 or worse school given my stats? Just curious if I have a realistic shot. Will try regardless, but want to know the "odds". Thank you.

HOLA SENIORS PHARMACISTOS

TARGET: Samford Pharmacy School.

Okay so my GPA RIGHT NOW is 3.12, I brought it up HARD from a 2.82. I have over 2000 hours in retail pharmacy. I'm taking the PCAT this november / october.

The reason my GPA was low is because I was previous a "comp-sci / business" major with the mind set of C's get degrees, but then I realized how much I love pharmacy and decided that patients would want the best of the best. So I changed my outlook on pharmacy pre-reqs and started to get 4.00s etc.

Inorganic chem 1 / 2: A / A
Calc / Stats: A / A
Biology Anatomy and Physiology 1 / 2: A / B

I haven't taken microbiology yet, nor the second organic chemistry (both next semester).

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FELLOW PHARMACY FRIENDS?

Hey everyone, so i currently am enrolled at moraine valley community college (fairly well known around the Chicagoland area) and im almost finished taking the pre-pharm courses. i have already obtained my associates this past spring (non-science related) but im really concerned about my chances of actually getting accepted into a pharm program coming from a community college. My grades, the first few semesters weren't something to be proud of. mostly B's and C's with a few dropped classes. But after deciding pharm is what i wanted to do, i have been getting straight A's so far. The only pre-pharm courses required that i do not have an A in is stuff like the communication classes (C's) and some of the other electives.

Schools applying to: UIC, midwestern, chicago state
Current cumulative GPA: 3.2
Current science GPA: 4.0 (still have to take one organic chem course, one physics, and calc.)
Work History: random jobs like car dealership valet, tire shop, etc...But currently a low-end manager at a fitness center.

I have yet to take the PCAT, but is there any advice u guys have on how i can improve my chances? Or am i wasting my time on something unattainable?

Don't worry about coming from a CC. I went to a CC for all my courses and got into a GREAT school. Ad coms know people have different extenuating circumstances. And lets face it CC is A Lot cheaper and the same education. The Pcat will prove that if you score well. Good luck!

University of St. Joseph
University of Connecticut
University of Maryland
Howard University
University of Maryland Eastern Shore
MCPHS, Worcester
Western New England University
Fairleigh Dickinson University
St. John Fisher College
Touro College of Pharmacy (NY)
LECOM - Erie
D'Youville University
Northeastern
Albany College of Pharmacy - Albany
Appalachian
b. Overall GPA: 3.06
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.7
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 78 composite
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Work at an independent pharmacy since 2009. Work at a retail chain since 2010.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Haven't submitted yet.
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 Professor, 3 Pharmacists
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 100+ hours in the ER. Global Brigade member. Previous volunteering experience with my sorority during my first undergrad degree.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Very good
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: It's a work in progress.

I have a non-math/science Bachelor's degree and am completing a second Bachelor's degree in Biology with a minor in Chemistry.

Don't worry about coming from a CC. I went to a CC for all my courses and got into a GREAT school. Ad coms know people have different extenuating circumstances. And lets face it CC is A Lot cheaper and the same education. The Pcat will prove that if you score well. Good luck!
Thank you for responding, and that makes me feel a lot better. Would you suggest I get some background in pharmacy as well? Such as at least getting my pharm tech certification?