*~*WAMC (what are my chances?) Megathread*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
a. Schools you are applying to: UT Austin (1st Choice), University of Houston, Texas Tech
b. Overall GPA: ~3.7
c. Math/Science GPA: ~3.7
d. GPA in last one or two school years 3.5-3.7
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)

Chem: 95
Bio:91
Verbal: 86
Quant: 85
RC: 71
Writing: 3/3
Composite: 92

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Hospital pharmacy volunteer for 2 semesters, 100+ hours as a volunteer pharm tech in a family clinic (I was the only pharm tech and did everything a pharm tech does), pharmacy dispenser at a indigent clinic (~8 hours/ week for one summer)
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
n/a
Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Already have 1 from a genetics professor, 1-pharmacists (Former dean of pharmacy at Howard and TSU), and waiting one one more from a pharmacist
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 100+ hospital volunteer hours, Active member of Pre-pharmacy club w/ volunteer hours, work for the Dept. of Sociology at my school
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Not sure, going to do mock interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
a. Schools you are applying to: Texas A&M, TSU, Sullivan, NOVA, Incarnate Word, LECOM
b. Overall GPA: 3.04
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.5
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 2.9
BS in Psych with Bio minor
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): still waiting for oct/16 score.. but i took one last year and got 26 composite :(
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2+ years at retail
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): begining of oct.

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: so far 2, 1 from my pharmacist and 1 from my Logic prof.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: volunteer as a CPhT at a hospital and Houston food bank for almost a year
j. Self-perception of interview skills: a bit shy, but i think im okay at it
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: avg.

Compare to other people's stats, i dont think i'll have a chance this year :(

Schools I am applying to (in order of preference):

University of Illinois – Chicago
University of California – San Francisco
University of North Carolina
University of Southern California
University of California – San Diego
Virginia Commonwealth University
University at Buffalo – SUNY
Purdue University
University of Oklahoma (last choice, but in-state for me)

Overall GPA:

Science GPA:

PCAT:
Took it on October 16th. Was not a pleasant test-taking experience. Will probably be the least impressive aspect of my application.

Pharmacy experience:
I’ve worked every single spring/fall/summer/winter break in my local pharmacy at home for the past 3.5-4 years. I do a little bit of everything while I’m there, so I have a strong grasp on all aspects of the pharmacy process.

Date of Application Submission:
PharmCAS has been submitted, and I've received confirmations from several different schools. I have successfully completed and submitted (after quadruple checking everything) all of the supplemental materials for all five of my pharmacy schools with November 1st deadlines.

Letters of Recommendation:
4 LORs will be submitted to PharmCAS
2 – Professors from college, one a psychology professor who is an amazing, lovely woman who loves me, and the other my chemistry department chair, a man who knows my achievements via departmental honors/scholarships/etc
1 – the pharmacist who I have worked with for many years now
1 – a high school teacher who can attest to my overall qualities/etc

Volunteer Experience:
I have volunteered many hours of my time during college at my home high school. I am also a musician, so throughout the entire summer every year, I give private lessons to several kids each week. I’ve done volunteer work at ISEF (International Science and Engineering Fair) as a student who had previously competed there. I do volunteer work through my university’s American Chemical Society Student Affiliate (I am also the president of this RSO this year) with local schools and events around the city, doing chemistry demonstrations for kids, etc.

Interview skills:
I have never had an interview such as for pharmacy school before. However, I believe that I have good communication skills and should fair decently.

Personal Statement Quality:
I believe my personal statement is very strong. I'm a good writer, and I have had lots of people read it for me.

Any input from my fellow student-doctor network people would be great! Thank you for your time and feedback!

Molly :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Gl

Last edited:
Please give other opinions! Hello <3
Amox,

A lot of your chances will depend on your PCAT scores since 3.1ish is average at best.

If you get to the interview just make sure to wow them. :)

a. Jefferson, Temple, USP

b. 3.75 overall

c. 3.3 Math(calculus- B+) / 4.0 Science (all A's :D)

d. 3.75 (only have been in college for the past 2 years)

e. Composite - 37 :( (this is what I fear will hold me back...)

f. As of November, 8 Months working in a hospital pharmacy.

g. PharmCAS application submitted 10/14

h. 3 LOR's - 1 pharmacist, 1 Head of Pharmacy for Kennedy Hospital, 1 chem professor .

i. Volunteering at an animal shelter and a elementary school. (50 Hours total of volunteering as of November)

j. Not a great talker, but will have to practice interviewing. -Will have to explain why i did so terrible on PCATS...did not yet have orgo and many other classes that teach you mandatory info. when i took them.

k. Very well written personal statement.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK AS I AM DYING TO KNOW!!

Last edited:
a. Jefferson, Temple, USP

b. 3.75 overall

c. 3.3 Math(calculus- B+) / 4.0 Science (all A's :D)

d. 3.75 (only have been in college for the past 2 years)

e. Composite - 37 :( (this is what I fear will hold me back...)

f. As of November, 8 Months working in a hospital pharmacy.

g. PharmCAS application submitted 10/14

h. 3 LOR's - 1 pharmacist, 1 Head of Pharmacy for Kennedy Hospital, 1 chem professor .

i. Volunteering at an animal shelter and a elementary school. (50 Hours total of volunteering as of November)

j. Not a great talker, but will have to practice interviewing. -Will have to explain why i did so terrible on PCATS...did not yet have orgo and many other classes that teach you mandatory info. when i took them.

k. Very well written personal statement.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK AS I AM DYING TO KNOW!!

Per your post, the only roadblock you are going to encounter is your PCAT score. Are you going to take the Jan PCAT? I believe the schools you mentioned still take JAN PCAT scores assuming seats are available. You should take the Jan PCAT test. I'm not sure how strict the schools will enforce the minimum PCAT score. Good luck!

a. Schools you are applying to
University of Iowa

b. Overall GPA
3.78 (U of I average last semester for applying Pharm students was a 3.5)

c. Math/Science GPA

d. GPA in last one or two school years
3.5+ Not doing too well this semester actually, getting an A in Anatomy, A in Medical Terminology, B in Calculus, and C in Physics. I don't have a single grade below a B on my transcript thus far, so this C in Physics is killing me, but I'm told Physics isn't too important for Pharmacy majors.

47 Composite on first attempt, OUCH!! (didn't have Calculus at the time so the Math section was a killer) Took the test again in October and waiting for test scores. Feeling better about this attempt, finished all of the sections on time this time. (U of I average for applying Pharm students last semester was 72 composite)

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
I have been working in a pharmacy since January 2009 and I have been a Certified Technician since Aug. 2009.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)Due December 1st 2010 for Fall 2011 admission, haven't turned mine in yet though

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
4 letters of recommendation, 3 from Pharmacists I've worked with, 1 from Chemistry Professor that I had through Gen Chem 1 and 2 and Organic Chem 1 and 2

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
Pre-Pharmacy club, American Pharmacists Association, some other volunteer work.

j. Self-perception of interview skills
Okay, I just did a practice interview yesterday that gave me a ton of good tips and have another one scheduled in mid-December

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
Good personal statement so far, going to a personal statement writing workshop provided by the Pre-Pharmacy club tomorrow night which should make it even better.

a. Schools you are applying to: just 2 so far – USC (top choice) and UCSD, contemplating Oregon State

b. Overall GPA – 3.91

c. Math/Science GPA: math 3.62, science 3.88

d. GPA in last one or two school years: postbac GPA ~ 3.95

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) – not taking

f. Pharmacy experience obtained –
not a lot, but it’s diverse:
~ 40 hrs volunteering at an independent compounding pharmacy;
30 hrs at community pharmacy in another country;
currently volunteering at hospital inpatient pharmacy (10 hrs/wk, 30 hrs so far);
also got to shadow a clinical pharmacist at a teaching hospital, where I volunteer

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) – e-submitted pharmCAS on 10/15; USC supplemental – 10/31 (I know, VERY late :() and 11/1 postmark for UCSD

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs – all 4 from science professors – ochem, gen. chem, anatomy and biology (didn’t get to know any pharmacist well enough to ask for a strong, not just generic, letter)

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience – my B.S. degree is in Business (’03), so I had a couple of years of consulting, HR audit, logistics, acct management experience

j. Self-perception of interview skills – good

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality – good, I had a lot to talk about (born and raised in a different country, career changer, etc).

Little pharmacy experience is probably my weakest point. but because of my recent experiences I have a very good understanding of what I am getting into and I am very motivated! Also, I really wish I applied to USC sooner

I would really appreciate your honest opinion on my chances!

a. Schools you are applying to:
Texas Tech, OKlahoma, University of Houston, Texas A&M

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

I just took the October 16th PCAT and am not sure what kind of minimum score I needed in order to look solid.

200+ hours at CVS as a CPhT

Submitted Oklahoma's app the 30th of October (both primary and secondary), and I still need to submit the other three.

3 letters of rec: 1 from my academic adviser at TCU, 1 from my research adviser at Berkeley, 1 from my pharmacist at CVS

Volunteered at a community hospital, free organic and general chem tutor, have both my B.S. (Chemistry) and M.S. (Organic Chemistry)

Pretty solid but I am researching the threads for topics schools will ask about

Pretty solid describing my experience from wanting to be a strict researcher to a people-oriented profession that pharmacy can fulfill

Any opinions are deeply appreciated!!!

University of Iowa, University of Oklahoma, and Purdue University

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
Not sure, but based on the fact that this past year and a half all I've taken was math and science, should be around 3.9

3.91, not including this fall yet, and I should have a 4.0 this fall.

88 composite. Nothing lower than a 74 and that was in Quantitative Ability.

I've done some job shadowing at Walgreen's and the hospital I used to work at.

Oklahoma was due Nov. 1. All others are due Dec. 1.

3 LOR's. 1 from Organic Chem Prof., 1 from former Athletic Director at the High School I worked for, and 1 from current manager.

5 years of Athletic Training at a high school/middle school, various volunteer activities

Pretty good. I manage to make it through them by lightening the mood of the interview and getting my personality across.

I'm very happy with my personal statement. I've had a few people read over it and they all liked it.

I posted this a few weeks back but have made some updates to it & just wanted some further opinions. Thanks!:)

UIW, UT Austin, Texas Tech, TX A&M Kingsville, & Univ of Houston

b. Overall GPA: 3.00

c. Math/Science GPA: 3.19

d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.04

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Waiting for October results

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I have worked full-time as a CPhT for 5 years at a Walmart pharmacy, 1 year at Caremark & 3 months at Aetna. Plus I completed two pharmacy tech internships each consisting of 160 hours each. One was at a University clinic and the other at a hospital pharmacy

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Currently working on the applications, almost done!

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 5 LORs; 1 from my current supervisor who is a Medical Technologist and Director of Laboratory, 1 from a PIC who I worked for at Walmart, 1 from another pharmacist who I also worked with, and 2 from my professors from UT Health Science Center (one of those professors is the director of the CLS program)

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I have been working as a Medical Technologist for the past 2 years at a cancer clinic. I honestly do not have much volunteer work. I have only volunteered with a MathCounts and did some Christmas volunteering which consisted of helping to wrap presents

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I feel pretty confident in this area & would rate myself as above average

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Work in progress

I have not worked as a CPhT since 2006 but still maintain my certification. I am applying to pharmacy school because I do miss the field but I do not want to go back as a pharmacy tech. I currently work at a cancer clinic where cancer patients get their chemo & radiation treatments. I find the oncology field very interesting & hope to work as an oncology pharmacist in the future.

Many thanks!

UF, Lecom, Nova, Palm Beach Atlantic, Chicago State Univ., Midwestern Univ. of Chicago, Albany, Thomas Jefferson, and Midwestern-Glendale
b. Overall GPA - 3.2
c. Math/Science GPA - 3.0 (I'm currently taking Bio 1 and Chem 2... and i am not doing to well in biology, so my gpa may decrease)
d. GPA in last one or two school years - I am currently a sophomore, so my overall GPA is the same as what I listed above.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - I have not taken it yet
- I plan on doing the 4 year pre-pharm track.
- I haven't asked for LORs yet, but when I do, I will definitely have one from a pharmacist.
I am an active member in my school's housing association, and a member of the Pre-pharmacy Society.
I've also worked summers at a restaurant back at home.

As for pharmacy experience... I am a certified pharmacy tech, I volunteered this summer at a hospital pharmacy, and I currently work at a pharmacy as a cashier.
I have not written it yet, but when the time comes around I will definitely get it proofread...

**I really hope someone can give me feedback because I'm extremely worried about my GPA. I want to know if I have a chance at getting into any of those schools (would it increase my chances to get into UF if I'm currently an undergrad student at UF). :confused: Also, since I am not doing too well in my Biology class right now, I am thinking about dropping the course... would that look really bad?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been panicking :scared: I'm thinking that i should completely change my major if have low chances of getting into pharmacy schools. - sigh -

Thankyou to anyone gives feedback! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
**I really hope someone can give me feedback because I'm extremely worried about my GPA. I want to know if I have a chance at getting into any of those schools (would it increase my chances to get into UF if I'm currently an undergrad student at UF). :confused: Also, since I am not doing too well in my Biology class right now, I am thinking about dropping the course... would that look really bad?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been panicking :scared: I'm thinking that i should completely change my major if have low chances of getting into pharmacy schools. - sigh -

Thankyou to anyone gives feedback! :)

I went to UF for my undergrad and I didn't spend a lot of time studying my first couple of years so my GPA suffered. After I decided to do pharmacy (after I already graduated from UF) I attended another university for additional prereqs that I needed and got straight A's and that brought my overall and science GPAs up from a 2.9 to a 3.1. It's still pretty low but I made up for it in other ways such as pharmacy tech experience, extracurriculars, research, and my PCAT was a 99%. I'm applying for next fall but I feel confident I will get in because the three schools I applied to I got interviews. So I of course think you can still do it but I wouldn't get your heart set on UF. I didn't want to go there because I want to go to a three year school but I know it's competitive. I don't know about the out of state schools you listed but the other Florida schools I would think you have a good shot at getting into. I would try really hard though to not let your science GPA dip below a 3.0. Although a 2.9 isn't far off from 3.0, it looks a lot worse.

I would try to become a pharmacy tech since you're already certified, since you're at UF there are ample opportunities for research so try finding something related to pharmacy (I'm doing computational chemistry), maybe try to run for a leadership position in your pharmacy club, and study for the PCAT. I'm pretty good with standardized tests because I'm fast and a lot of people have trouble finishing all the questions but I used the John Collins study guide and that helped a lot.

a. Schools you are applying to: i am only applying to Campbell for the 2011 schoole year
b. Overall GPA: 3.02 overall, 3.3 overall at East Carolina (I also have my associates degree from a community college)
c. Math/Science GPA science gpa is 3.19 with 43 credit hours
d. GPA in last one or two school years. 3.3
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) composite 77 nothing lower than 53
f. Pharmacy experience obtained about 40 hours of volunteer work at 340-b pharmacy
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)primary and secondary applications submitted on october 22

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs director North Carolina Hillel state wide student activites, director of the Pirate tutoring center, and one general practitioner that knows the dean of the pharmacy school
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience I was a personal trainer, and certified pool operator. I am currently the undergraduate assistant for anatomy and physiology I. Last spring break I participated in a service learning trip to new orleans
j. Self-perception of interview skills i am nervous before the interview, but i tend to do well underpressure
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality i did not have the personal statement peer review but it was the 5th draft before I submitted it.

Univ. of Texas, A&M, Univ. of Houston, Oklahoma Univ.
b. Overall GPA
3.3(?)
c. Math/Science GPA
Taking in August of 2011 - study materials obtained
Pharmacy Technician with CVS from 1998-2005
Will be applying next fall (2011)
4 - one from an Organic Chem Prof, one from a Microbio Prof, one from a pharmacist (employer), one from an operations manager (employer)
SPCA Animal Shelter since 5/2010, Community Theatre volunteer since 1992, will begin offering free General and Organic Chemistry tutoring at a local community college beginning January 2011
I feel I am able to communicate effectively and appropriately. I interviewed people for 2 years with my most recent job (with operations mgr mentioned above). I have seen a lot of interviewees and trained field managers on interviewing skills and "what to look for in an applicant".
In the works.

Question:
I graduated from UT at Arlington in 2007 with a BA in Business Management. I am now going back to school to become a pharmacist. My cumulative GPA was a 2.89 from post-high school coursework in 2002 up to graduation in 2007. I have since began PharmD pre-reqs effective Jan. 2010. I had never taken a "Science-Majors" sciences before (regarding repeat courses). I am on the path of obtaining a 4.0 in math/science pre-reqs, and currently have a 4.0. On that current path, my total post-high school coursework GPA will be 3.3. How much does the "ago" GPA reflect on the "now in my maturity" GPA?

Thanks a ton for your time, whomever responds

UCSF, UCSD, Cal Northstate
b. Overall GPA
pharmcas overall GPA is 3.13
c. Math/Science GPA
pharmcas science 2.99; math 3.06
graduate school 3.71
did not take PCATs; only applying to Cali schools :oops:
I volunteered at the school pharmacy for a summer (~40 hours) :scared:
I submitted everything on 10/28 but pharmcas hasn't sent out my apps;
they will send it out on the next cycle
1 from my graduate advisor: very good rec
1 from another professor that I have done research for: I believe it's another good rec
1 from my friend pharmacist: very good rec
I have been working as a Medical Technologist (CLS) for ~2 years and volunteered
at the school pharmacy for a short summer
decent
I think it's average :confused:

So basically, my GPA isn't as strong as other candidates bc I majorly messed up on my undergrad grades. Hopefully they will take account that I will have my masters and my graduate grades are higher?? I have research experience from my master's program and currently a CLS (clinical lab scientist) for a hospital. I hope that's enough to cover the fact that I don't have much pharm experience and my low GPA. In addition, I think i have really good letter of recs! How does it look guys??? Please help, I'm worried :p

Texas Tech, OKlahoma, University of Houston, Texas A&M

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

I just took the October 16th PCAT and am not sure what kind of minimum score I needed in order to look solid.

200+ hours at CVS as a CPhT

Submitted Oklahoma's app the 30th of October (both primary and secondary), and I still need to submit the other three.

3 letters of rec: 1 from my academic adviser at TCU, 1 from my research adviser at Berkeley, 1 from my pharmacist at CVS

Volunteered at a community hospital, free organic and general chem tutor, have both my B.S. (Chemistry) and M.S. (Organic Chemistry)

Pretty solid but I am researching the threads for topics schools will ask about

Pretty solid describing my experience from wanting to be a strict researcher to a people-oriented profession that pharmacy can fulfill

Any opinions are deeply appreciated!!!

just tell them you made an A in Minter's OChem and they will give you a full ride anywhere haha.....

Overall and science GPA ~3.2
PCAT 62
BS in Microbiology
Certified Tech (1 yr experience)
Volunteer - Lab assistant in the hospital, tutor in CC
LORs -- pharmacist, department chair from CC, A&P professor
Personal Statement -- good

Should I even bother with these stats??? Anyone got accepted into Texas schools with 62 PCAT??? :(

The Ohio State University, University of Cincinnati, Midwestern-Glendale, Sullivan University, LECOM
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA

VA 412/68
Biology 421/80
Reading 401/47
QA 426/81
Chemistry 426/81
Composite 417/76
Writing 4.0/3.5 mean 2.82/2.87
These are October 16 results, I've only taken it once!

None. So upset about this. I've tried training to find a pharmacy to train and hire me as a pharm tech or at least job shadow, none of which has been successful!

October 1

3 Letters, one from Analytical professor, one from my adivsor, one from a professor from the school of business (I am obtaining a Bachelor's of Health Care Administration)

Loads of work, little in the pharmacy.
Some volunteer work.

I can get pretty nervous, but once I start talking I am usually decent under interview pressures.

4.5/5

posting for a friend:

Touro (CA), California Northstate, Western, USC, UCSD, UCSF, UOP, LLU
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
not sure (I'm barely in my 3rd year of college)
won't taken (only applying in CA)

Volunteer in hospital pharmacy

will apply during 2011

3 Letters: hopefully 2 from pharmacists, 1 from science professor

Volunteering at several clinics and tutored

with practice, I'm pretty good. I don't get nervous easily.

4.5/5

Also, I won't have 4 prereqs done by the time I apply. Is that okay?

Thank you !!! :)

If anyone could give me any insight as to where I stand right now, that would be fantastic. I'm not really sure what to think of my application and I would truly appreciate some insight. All of my GPAs and stuff come right from PharmCAS. Thank you to all of those that respond ahead of time!

Thomas Jefferson University, USP, Temple, and College of Notre Dame School of Pharmacy in Maryland
b. Overall GPA - 2.86
c. Math/Science GPA 2.86
d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.05, but this semester I'm taking three upper level science classes, which my GPA is expected to be a 4.0.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) -
Verbal - 77
Bio - 80
Reading - 87
Quantitative - 69
Chemistry - 88
Composite - 85

f. Pharmacy experience obtained- I have volunteered in a pharmacy at a hospital, approaching 100 hours, where I sort, organize, and label medication for the pharmacists.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) -
I e-submitted my applications on October 28, 2010.
3 - One from a long time employer, 1 from a physician's assistant, and one that's from the director of volunteer services of the hospital I volunteer at. All LORs are fantastic.
I am an Eagle Scout, after scouts I donated about 240 hours as a senior leader of the troop, I volunteered about 80 hours with patient contact in the emergency room of same hospital, and I have 100 hours of shadowing experience in the ICU, OR, ER, and Pharmacy.
I had a rough first year of college where my dad had a heart attack and I had to come home every weekend and work 30-40 hours on top of school, and as a result my grades suffered my first year. My personal statement explains that and other than that, I think its pretty strong actually.

Any insight would be a great help. Thanks ahead of time!

University of Tennessee, ETSU, Lipscomb
b. Overall GPA - 3.79
c. Math/Science GPA 3.9
d. GPA in last one or two school years - 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) -
Verbal - 73
Bio - 66
Reading - 71
Quantitative - 43 :(
Chemistry - 72
Composite - 67 :/

Writing Scores: 3.5/3.5

f. Pharmacy experience obtained- None, other than a little shadowing
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) -
I haven't e-submitted yet, not sure if I should yet (see below)
3 - One from a long time employer, 1 from Chemistry professor, 1 from pharmacist I shadowed.
Worked avg 20-25 hrs a week for first three years of college as customer service manager. Not a lot of volunteer experience.
Haven't written it yet, this is the only thing I am lacking on my application.

I just got my PCAT scores and I was pretty happy except for the QA section. I am currently looking for a pharmacy tech position but I am not sure if I should apply this year or wait until next year, and get some pharmacy experience in the meantime (more importantly, for the knowledge and insight on why I want to be a pharmacist). Also, if I dont apply I will be graduating in December of 2011 with A B.S. in Chemistry. What do you think I should do? WAMC?

I accidentally posted twice. Read the other one as it has more up to date info. Thanks.

Last edited:
a. University of South Carolina, Presbyterian College, University of North Carolina
b. Overall GPA - 3.67
c. Math/Science GPA - 3.59
d. a
Verbal - 53
Biology - 66
Reading Comp - 87
Quantitative Ability - 54 ( =/ )
Chemistry - 81
Composite - 73
f. Pharmacy experience - I shadowed my pharmacist who works at Publix
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) - No pharmCAS, but I submitted app on 11/02, application due January 11, 2011

h. 3 LOR's, 1 from my pharmacist I shadowed, 1 from my chemistry professor, 1 from my Dean of Science
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience - I've worked at Publix for about a year and a half.
j. Self-perception of interview skills - I'm pretty good at interviews, my people skills are above average I would say, and I don't have problems answering questions posed to me one on one.

What are my chances?

(various) PERDU, VCU, UMES, HOWARD

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

uggg less than 50% but ST make me nervous

Pharm cashier and Med Room Volunteer at health dept

nov 15

3 Academic counselor, Director City Health Department, Social worker i volunteered for

Mentoring, park clean up, Captain of college cheer team, patient coordinator at dentist office, promotion of cancer research center

give myself an A

give myself an A

a. Schools you are applying to: CU-Denver (instate advantage), Temple, Univ South Carolina-Charlotte, Wingate, Univ of Florida
b. Overall GPA:3.5 Degree in Microbiology minor in biomed sciences from Colorado State
c. Math/Science GPA:science: 3.5 math 3.0
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite):
VA: 45
RC: 25 (first time was a 52)
bio: 88
QA: 64
chem: 77
comp: 64

my chem and bio arent bad so i'm hoping that those are my key elements.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Volunteered at pharmacy for 21 hours, but i've worked in biotech/and pharmaceutical development for 4 yrs
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): 0ct 27, oct 1 for MUSC

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
- Immunology prof
- pharmacist
- former employer from a BSL-3 TB lab

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Biotech, and lab manager for 3 yrs in a BSL-3 doing in vivo research for potential TB vaccines. Research associate as School of mines biotection lab developing lateral assays, using nanoparticle coupled with phage technology against select pathogens. Healthcare volunteer for fairs and in-school programs. Phi Theta Kappa honor's member, got honor's credit for A&P courses, TA'd two semesters in a 300 level animal anatomy course.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Not worried about that
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I gave it to a pharmacist for contents, and to the english dept for the grammar and conventions.

I'm most concerned with my pcat scores- i'm not stupid, i just freeze on these sort of tests. I made a very solid point in my essay that i intend on doing a phD in pharmaceutical sciences too, i want to do research, which my resume is way above average with, i dont want to do retail pharm so i haven't focused on that too much.

All schools in FL

b. Overall GPA
3.1 (READ BELOW ABOUT GPA)

c. Math/Science GPA

Aug 2010/Oct2010 Scores

Took PCAT without studying... No need to study right? Classes are supposed to prepare you :p

VA 77/63 (-14) Oh well
Bio 51/91 (+40) Wow
RC 45/47 (+2) I obviously can read, if I've dug my way through text books.
QA 55/64 (+9) Taken math up to Calc III, Didn't get C's either :p
Chem 77/88 (+11) Woo
Comp 64/77 (+13) Not too bad, within the average for most schools, which is the peak of the bell curve, where most students get accepted!

2.5 years registered/certified tech in retail
8 months volunteer hospital tech (Cancer Hospital)

Feb1-Mar1

Submitted 11/5 awaiting pharmcas to send out...

4 Letters
2 From Pharmacists
1 From Head of Chemistry Dept. MA/PhD From Ivyleague school
1 From Non science prof

Pre-Pharmacy club
Cancer hospital 8 months tech volunteer

Very high! When I went to get a job I was hired at the 4 places I applied after roughly 3-5 minute interviews.

4/5 Reviewed by pharmacists before submission

I posted earlier, however this is an update!

My GPA is low because I work and volunteer ~40 hours a week, and live on my own. Unfortunatly, my family is not financially supportive, and my grades reflect that. However I explained that in my personal statement.

From my experience, there seems to be a place in every supplemental to explain grades. I was under the impression that the personal statement was supposed to be more about why you chose pharmacy and in essence... why they should pick you... maybe I misunderstood?

a. Schools you are applying to: CU-Denver (instate advantage), Temple, Univ South Carolina-Charlotte, Wingate, Univ of Florida
b. Overall GPA:3.5 Degree in Microbiology minor in biomed sciences from Colorado State
c. Math/Science GPA:science: 3.5 math 3.0
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite):
VA: 45
RC: 25 (first time was a 52)
bio: 88
QA: 64
chem: 77
comp: 64

my chem and bio arent bad so i'm hoping that those are my key elements.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Volunteered at pharmacy for 21 hours, but i've worked in biotech/and pharmaceutical development for 4 yrs
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): 0ct 27, oct 1 for MUSC

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
- Immunology prof
- pharmacist
- former employer from a BSL-3 TB lab

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Biotech, and lab manager for 3 yrs in a BSL-3 doing in vivo research for potential TB vaccines. Research associate as School of mines biotection lab developing lateral assays, using nanoparticle coupled with phage technology against select pathogens. Healthcare volunteer for fairs and in-school programs. Phi Theta Kappa honor's member, got honor's credit for A&P courses, TA'd two semesters in a 300 level animal anatomy course.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Not worried about that
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I gave it to a pharmacist for contents, and to the english dept for the grammar and conventions.

I'm most concerned with my pcat scores- i'm not stupid, i just freeze on these sort of tests. I made a very solid point in my essay that i intend on doing a phD in pharmaceutical sciences too, i want to do research, which my resume is way above average with, i dont want to do retail pharm so i haven't focused on that too much.

You're certainly not stupid. I think the PCAT isn't weighed as heavily as other factors in the eyes of most schools unless they specify. Your 3.5 GPA over the course of a technical scientific degree should erase any question in the back of the ad com's mind. You'll be fine. :)

From my experience, there seems to be a place in every supplemental to explain grades. I was under the impression that the personal statement was supposed to be more about why you chose pharmacy and in essence... why they should pick you... maybe I misunderstood?

Not every supplemental had a section to explain grades... PS would be an okay place to mention what happened, but I'd just sure that it isn't your focus and that you definitely emphasize how you have learned from it.

a. Schools you are applying to: UCONN, ACPHS, MCPHS worcester, MERCER, SOUTH
b. Overall GPA: 3.0
c. Math/Science GPA: math (3.60) science (2.75)
d. GPA in last one school year: 3.57
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 65%
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: shadowing pharmacist for a few hours
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): end of october

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 2 from professors, 1 from boss of hospital department i volunteer in and last one from coordinator of the soup kitchen where i volunteer
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 6 yrs of volunteering at soup kitchen and 2 yrs of volunteering at hospital
j. Self-perception of interview skills: fair but i'll be doing a mock interview to improve
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: i think its ok but i had a few people look over it and they said it was good.

Last edited:
A - Applying to: Minnesota (where I received my degrees), Illinois-Chicago, Florida, and LECOM.

B - Overall GPA: 3.05 with BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, BA in Chemistry, and BA in Spanish -- would also like to note that I have taken many pharmacy school classes (biochemistry sequence as part of BS) and a few electives with nothing less than a B+.

C - Math/Science GPA: 2.95

D - GPA in last couple of years: 3.60 (increasing trend)

E - PCAT Composite: 80 - no sub score below 69.

F - Pharmacy experience obtained: over 100 hours of shadowing pharmacists in various settings, interviews, etc.

G - Submitting at the end of November, early December

H - LORs - 3 total: 1 from well-known research adviser, 1 from published Spanish adviser, and 1 from a medical school professor at the University of Minnesota

I - 3 years of research in a biophysical chemistry lab (work presented at various scientific meetings/conferences), member of NCAA track and field/cross country teams, assisted in the development of an additional course to be added to the biochemistry curriculum at the school, Spanish teaching assistant for various upper division classes, about 80 hours volunteering at the Medical School, pre-pharmacy club member

J - Interview Skills: Above average, I am confident in my ability to make a good impression

K - Personal Statement Quality: I'd say like a 9/10. I REALLY think it says everything that I want it to and the career services department really praised it.

It's been a long journey for me, but I hope this year I can finally make this a reality. :)

Hi guys,
I want to apply during June 2011 (next year), but I'm hesitant b/c my grades are not so great. Do you guys think I have a chance?
(i've posted in the WAMC thread but no one replied, hope this thread is okay)

year in school: junior
overall gpa: 3.5
science gpa: 3.2 :[
schools: all CA schools + Pacific Oregon + Touro NY [ I'm really hoping for touro, loma linda, or uop]

3 letter of recs: 2 from science profs, and 1 from pharmacists, 1 from pastor (for llu)

interview ability: pretty good, I don't get nervous easily
personal statement: pretty good (I'm really good at essays haha)
extracurricular: shadow pharmacist, volunteer in pharmacy, volunteer at several clinics, tutoring students

Also, does anyone have advice on approaching a pharmacist in the place i volunteer at? (b/c she doesn't talk to any of the volunteers :[ )

thank you so much! :)

Also, does anyone have advice on approaching a pharmacist in the place i volunteer at? (b/c she doesn't talk to any of the volunteers :[ )

Do you talk much to the techs, interns, and cashiers? (I'm assuming you're at a community setting)

^ Yes, I do talk a lot to the techs since they always want me to help out their work lol. Oh and I actually volunteer in the hospital pharmacy.

Btw, I actually volunteered at a pharmacy in another country when I went to visit my relatives for a whole summer. Do you think it's possible to get a letter of rec from them? or will the schools not accept it?

Most schools don't allow letters of recommendation from family members. I would try to get one from a pharmacist in the US who knows you well.

^ oh no I didn't mean a LOR from a family member. I just meant I went to visit my family in another country and in our neighborhood was pharmacy and I volunteered there.

^ oh no I didn't mean a LOR from a family member. I just meant I went to visit my family in another country and in our neighborhood was pharmacy and I volunteered there.

How long did you volunteer at that particular pharmacy?

^ 2 months during summer vacation. It was in Vietnam :]
But I just don't know if the schools will accept the LOR. the pharmacist knows me pretty well though because it was only her, me , and 1 tech.

Since you are worrying about GPA. I'll answer this.
Based on it alone, your GPA is in the competitive range. Science can be a little higher but still competitive nonetheless.
I'd say apply.

a. Schools you are applying to: Nova Southeastern University and Palm Beach Atlantic University

b. Overall GPA: 2.95 :(

c. Math/Science GPA: still waiting on PharmCAS calculation...

Verbal: 97
Biology: 98
Reading comp: 87
Quantitative: 27 WTF!?!
Chemistry: 58 :(
Writing scores: 3.0
Composite: 88

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none, but certified/registered pharm tech.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Nov. 3
:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs 4, from pharmacist, professor I did research with, MD, and science research mentor

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Work as lab assistant at pharmaceutical research lab.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: Awesome.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Good impression...

Additional: 5 awards for drug-related science research, science research published in journal.

My GPA sucks and my PCAT quant. score is absurd. =( Kind of relying on my composite and science research to get me in... realistic?

a. Schools you are applying to: Vermont (Albany Pharmacy), St John Fisher, Husson, Univ New England

b. Overall GPA: 3.5
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.4
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.7
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Taking in January
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: volunteering at hospital and shadowing a pharmacist
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary):
Submitting in next few weeks

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: hopefully 4. 1 Pharmacist, 1 Doctor, 2 Proffesors(One is well known in his work in the areas I'm applying)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Manager for 5+ years at a country club (idk I guess it shows responsibility if anything)
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Good
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Good I believe it gets my strengths across and shows why I want to be a pharmacist well.

Hey everyone..

So this has been worried me a lot. This will be the 2nd time I'm applying to pharmacy schools. Ashamed to say but my pre-pharm GPA is 2.88, over all is 2.67, PCAT is under 25% :( Have BS in biology and working as Pharmacy tech for almost an year now. Have plenty of volunteer hours plus was part of couple organizations(including pre-pharmacy association) and was Volunteer chair and Historian of ISA. I know that my GPA and PCAT not anywhere close to others applying for pharm school, but I know this is what I really wanted to do. I tired to look up other profession but really didn't catch my attention so just wanted an advice. Is there any school which I might have chance to get in?

Last edited:
Is there no possible way that you can spend a bit of time studying for the PCAT and then re-taking?

In a word, Nope.

I don't think that you'll make the GPA average for non-PCAT schools and your PCAT score is simply not good enough. Unless you improve your statistics for next year, I don't see how you would get accepted anywhere with those stats.

Hey everyone..

So this has been worried me a lot. This will be the 2nd time I'm applying to pharmacy schools. Ashamed to say but my pre-pharm GPA is 2.88, over all is 2.67, PCAT is under 25% :( Have BS in biology and working as Pharmacy tech for almost an year now. Have plenty of volunteer hours plus was part of couple organizations(including pre-pharmacy association) and was Volunteer chair and Historian of ISA. I know that my GPA and PCAT not anywhere close to others applying for pharm school, but I know this is what I really wanted to do. I tired to look up other profession but really didn't catch my attention so just wanted an advice. Is there any school which I might have chance to get in?
It depends, where exactly are you applying? every school is different on item s they look at so you might still get a chance. try researching and applying to other schools, good luck

Kishu323,

Why do you think that your grades would go up in Pharmacy School? There are two questions you need to answer to the satisfaction of an admissions committee: do you have the ability to be a good pharmacist and do you have the desire? Currently, I don't think that an admissions committee would think that either is true. I would say that you need a year of good grades (better than 3.2) in a post-bac program and a higher score on the PCAT. With your background and a demonstrated ability to turn your academics around, you would be able to get in.

Dr. BioChem

UMaryland, Baltimore

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

4.00 (I'm a sophomore)

Verbal 416 73
Bio 418 76
Reading 420 76
Math 407 54
Chem 418 72
Composite 416 74

Convention of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

(UMB requires that you have 60 percentile or higher in Chem and Bio. The average cumulative PCAT composite of people who are admitted there is 77.5)

I have volunteered at my university health center's pharmacy as a pharmacy technician since the spring semester. I got certified in the summer.

Finished and submitted PharmCAS on Oct. 19, 2010, but I think they're still waiting for my PCAT since I took one in October.

Three: 1) from accounting professor - very strong 2) from physics professor - all right 3) from health center pharmaciest - all right

Worked for Howard County Public School System for two summers

Above average. I definitely see a room for improvement in myself with more practice.

I would give myself 7.5 out of 10. I tried to explain my personal background, my experience at the health center, my short-term and long-term goals. It definitely shows who I am as a person.

Now, I am not an expert but I wanted to say that if this is what you really want to do (and not because there is nothing else out there) I think there is still a possibility.

I think what schools look at is what you have done from the first time you applied and now. So what have you done during this time?

Also, how long has it been since you graduated? I think that GPA matters less after you have been out of school for a while.

I would try to look at schools that don't value scores over the person. But, I think you should retake the PCAT.

Anyway, good luck. :)

I am in a real dilemma here. I am a biology major with cumulative gpa 3.75 and science gpa 3.74. I just took my PCAT and scored 79th percentile on composite. I got 96th percentile on Chemistry and 76th on Biology. Is my stats good enough? If yes, I would like to know what schools I should aim for. The only drawback is that I don't have any pharmacy related experience.