This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've submitted my applications at this point, but I would still love some feedback on my chances at these school - just trying to manage expectations for this year, and get a sense of what I should do to improve my chances for next year if I don't get in this year. Thanks!

I'm going to jump on the WAMC bandwagon. Here is my info:

- Career changer - majored in Psychology in undergrad, but ended up in non-psych-related grad school
- Undergrad GPA (at an ivy league school): 3.75 overall/ 4.0 in major
- Ivy league grad school; working for the past 5 years
- GRE: 700 V/ 710 M (lower than I'd hoped, but doesn't seem worth it to retake at this point - please correct me if I'm wrong. If I don't get in this year, I will probably retake them for next year)
- Clinical experience: Internships in college and grad school working with children in foster care, and with domestic violence victims; Volunteer work with homeless children and teenagers, and with at-risk teenagers
- Research experience: zero, other than a research methods class in college that involved a research paper (I'm applying only to PsyD programs, so I'm hoping this won't kill my chances)
- 3 LORs: one from a college psych professor, one from my current employer, and one from a supervisor at a volunteer position held for 3 years (and a potential 4th from a short-term, but on-point volunteer position)

I'm specifically interested in my chances at PsyD programs:

Thanks, and good luck to all the other applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This seems like an amazingly useful thread so hopefully I'll be able to get some feedback :)

I applied this year but I feel like I definitely did not invest as much time as I should have. I took my GRE's in November and barely prepared for it and I'm just wondering if I even stand a chance. My stats are:

undergrad gpa = 3.5 at a UC
major gpa = 3.65
double major in human development
gre= V(540) / Q(600) / AW(5) - total = 1140 :(
ive worked in 4 labs so far in my past 3 years (persuasion, lang, social & cognitive) and im currently doing my honors thesis
no clinical experience but worked as mentor for children in 3 different programs (in developmentally delayed children, as a mentor, etc)
2 strong letter of recs (1 from employer, 1 from PI), 1 weaker (from my other PI)

I'm applying to both counseling and clinical phd programs. what do you guys think?! im worried that my numbers are going to bring me down significantly....

This seems like an amazingly useful thread so hopefully I'll be able to get some feedback :)

I applied this year but I feel like I definitely did not invest as much time as I should have. I took my GRE's in November and barely prepared for it and I'm just wondering if I even stand a chance. My stats are:

undergrad gpa = 3.5 at a UC
major gpa = 3.65
double major in human development
gre= V(540) / Q(600) / AW(5) - total = 1140 :(
ive worked in 4 labs so far in my past 3 years (persuasion, lang, social & cognitive) and im currently doing my honors thesis
no clinical experience but worked as mentor for children in 3 different programs (in developmentally delayed children, as a mentor, etc)
2 strong letter of recs (1 from employer, 1 from PI), 1 weaker (from my other PI)

I'm applying to both counseling and clinical phd programs. what do you guys think?! im worried that my numbers are going to bring me down significantly....

I'd be more worried about a weak LOR than the numbers.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I had a few general questions about my application chances--I'm currently a senior in college and will be applying next fall, so nothing's set in stone yet. I'll get the stats out of the way first:

GPA: currently a 3.91 (majoring in psych and English at an Ivy)
GREs: 690 Verbal, 750 Math, 4.5 Writing
Research: I work in two labs--one in a clinical preschool program doing research assessments and PPVTs plus working on my honors thesis, and another doing recruitment, screenings and assessments for a substance use lab. I also worked in another psych lab for one semester.
LORs: The PIs of my current labs have agreed to write me strong letters. The third is yet to be determined.
Pubs/presentations: None yet, though I may have non-first-authorship on a paper by the end of the year (fingers crossed)
Clinical: I volunteered at a partial hospital program for a summer.

Now, the questions:
-Does it make sense for me to shoot for the stars and apply to some mega-top-tier programs (Washington, for example) or would that be a waste of my application fees?
-I was a little bummed out by my Analytical Writing Score, seeing as I'm an English major and am generally considered to be a very good writer. Admittedly, I was too cocky and didn't prepare for that particular section. Should I retake the GREs in hopes of raising that score, or should I chill out?
-I'm primarily interested in child psych, so I might apply to some school psych PhD programs. I'm having a hard time figuring out how competitive those are, in general. Any thoughts as to whether or not I'd be a good fit for reputable school psych programs?

Thank you all so much!

Hi everyone!

-I was a little bummed out by my Analytical Writing Score, seeing as I'm an English major and am generally considered to be a very good writer. Admittedly, I was too cocky and didn't prepare for that particular section. Should I retake the GREs in hopes of raising that score, or should I chill out?
Chill out... virtually no one will care about your AW score.

You should be very competitive wherever you apply. However, you should apply to schools primarily based upon your fit with the researchers and provide good evidence for this fit in your statement of purpose to each school. Further, make sure you apply to at least 8 schools and it would be better to shoot for 15. IMHO. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
-Does it make sense for me to shoot for the stars and apply to some mega-top-tier programs (Washington, for example) or would that be a waste of my application fees?

Thank you all so much!

They can't say no if you don't apply.

Mark

General question for all those that have applied to Ph.D. programs:

How long are the personal statements you have written? I asked the folks at OU's Counseling Psych. program, and the answer was "as long as it needs to be." Nice, right?

I was thinking 2 pages max, but I think I could really fill the space given...thoughts?

General question for all those that have applied to Ph.D. programs:

How long are the personal statements you have written? I asked the folks at OU's Counseling Psych. program, and the answer was "as long as it needs to be." Nice, right?

I was thinking 2 pages max, but I think I could really fill the space given...thoughts?

Between 500 and 1500 words is about average. A short essay where they actually read what you say is probably better than a long one that they skim.

Thanks; I'm right on par with that length. We'll see how the finished product comes out.

Okay here are my stats:

GPA: 3.51
GRE: 620 V/750 Q

I have 1 semester of RA experience but it is not in a clinical lab. However, I am given a lot of responsibilities and I think the experience in general has given me a good idea of what I can expect in graduate school.

The major issue I am running into is that I do not have any clinical experience. I took a couple of years off after undergrad to "discover what it is I wanted to do". I then returned to obtain my second undergrad in psychology, but financial constraints have forced me to keep my current employment and left me with no time to gain clinical experience.

I am not going to be especially picky about the ranking of the school I get into, as my main goal is just to start on my graduate degree before I get any older:scared:! Although I would never admit this in a PS, I am really more into the applied side of psychology, and don't have a whole lot of interest in research. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it for a few years while in school, but my main goal is actually working with clients.

All that being said, I feel like most people on here have years and years of clinically related experience. Is this something I am going to have to obtain before I apply anywhere? Or do I have a chance at maybe a lesser known/lower ranked school?

Hi there! I was recently told about this website from a friend and it looks pretty exciting! If only I'd discovered it sooner... Well, here is my background:

Undergrad: Psychology major in a large quality state school, graduated in 3 years (does that make any difference?)
GPA: 3.67, last 2 years was 3.75

I took the GRE 3 times:
1) 560V, 670Q
2) 590V, 610Q (I definitely freaked out from the first GRE and overstudied for this one)
3) 700V, 660Q

^basically, my highest verbal score is higher than my highest quantitative score. The last GRE puts me pretty high for the verbal percentile, but for my quantitative score I'm at a lame 61%. My question is -- how often do programs take individual subtest scores into consideration, and is a lower quantitative score considered a red flag?

Ok, back to my WAMC information:

Research experience:
1.5 years undergrad experience as an RA
Currently working full time for my second year as a research coordinator

Recommenders (all know me well):
1 Professor in psychiatry
1 Associate Professor in neuroscience
1 Clinical psychology Ph.D. candidate with an M.A. (he was my supervisor as an undergrad)

Here are my schools:
Fordham
University of Illinois Chicago
Drexel
Boston University
University of Virginia
University of Miami
Sam Houston State University
New York University (counseling)

So, based on these programs and my background, assuming my statement is targeted well, what are my chances?

My final question is unrelated and pretty general: are there particular fields within clinical psychology that are more competitive than others? For example, do professors who study depression typically get more applicants requesting them compared to professors studying forensics?

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this and give me feedback/answer my questions! I really, really appreciate it.

Does anyone know if they really look at the writing section of the GRE? To me it seems sort of ignored so I try to only report my verbal, quantitative and subject wherever asked. Obviously, the schools get my official GRE reports from ETS but I just try not to highlight it since I didn't do so great (4). For some reason I got a computer that had a type delay, and I wasn't the strongest typer to begin with so together this took a lot of my time on that section. I should have said something at the time but I guess I was so nervous I just plowed through...hindsight. Anyway, I feel I did well enough on the other sections to make up for it, and to not worry about it hurting my chances at all (V=680, Q=630, S=730)... So do they really weigh the writing score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I would never admit this in a PS, I am really more into the applied side of psychology, and don't have a whole lot of interest in research. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it for a few years while in school, but my main goal is actually working with clients.
Question:

If you don't have a "whole lot of interest in research," then why are you thinking about applying at programs where research will be the norm? PhD programs usually tend to be research-heavy for a reason: the students want to research.

Have you considered PsyD programs? Or, if you still think the PhD would be more reputable or desired, a counseling psych. program?

Although I would never admit this in a PS, I am really more into the applied side of psychology, and don't have a whole lot of interest in research. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it for a few years while in school, but my main goal is actually working with clients.
Question:

If you don't have a "whole lot of interest in research," then why are you thinking about applying at programs where research will be the norm? PhD programs usually tend to be research-heavy for a reason: the students want to research.

Have you considered PsyD programs? Or, if you still think the PhD would be more reputable or desired, a counseling psych. program?

I agree with considering PsyD programs (although many of those expect research as well). I can speak more to the part of this statement about pursuing a PhD in a counseling psych program. I would advise against it if you don't have a whole lot of interest in research. I'm currently in one of these programs, and there are many necessary research/stats courses such as: stats I, research methods, experimental design, correlational design, qualitative measures, psychometric theory etc... So research is pretty much a huge expectation and a definite necessity to graduate.

Question:

If I did not want to do research I would never pursue a PhD or PsyD of any sort... rather why not just get a MA in Counseling or a MA in Social Work? It's quicker and for your desire it will be more than enough training.

Hello Everyone!

I am currently in my junior year and is due to graduate in 2012 Spring.
I would like to ask everyone here on the timeline I should be aimming for.. When should I apply for graduate school? Senior Year Fall semester?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Hello Everyone!

I am currently in my junior year and is due to graduate in 2012 Spring.
I would like to ask everyone here on the timeline I should be aimming for.. When should I apply for graduate school? Senior Year Fall semester?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Yes senior year fall semester or alternately take a year or two off and do research somewhere then apply.

You should buy and read the following:
http://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Graduate-Programs-Counseling-Psychology/dp/1593856377

Buy the correct version as the link above is to an older copy.

Also do not neglect meeting with a few professors (3 or so) and speaking with them about your goals. They can provide a lot of direction. Get involved in a research lab NOW.

Last edited:
I've a prof who is willing to consider me but I am only able to do 1 semester of RA in her lab and she is very reluctant to just let me do a semester.

I am hoping to do my GRE next year june before the new format is out.
( This is another qns I have now - Should I do the new GRE or the current GRE format?)

I am now preparing myself for the Verbal portion of the GRE...

Oh man... Grad Sch is so competitive!

So what are my chances?

GPA: 3.7 Cumulative as of right now...but I think its going to drop a bit (maybe to a 3.5) because I decided to minor in statistics.... if it wasn't for that I'd have a 3.8 gpa....

that being said..... does a minor in Stats even help? personally, I'm glad I did it because I want to do a clinical researcher emphasis and I feel I'm much more prepared for grad school with regards to designing experiments than I would have been if I hadn't minored in Stats...

GRE: scored fairly low..
CUM: 1200
Verbal: 520
Quant: 680

Not trying to make excuses but I'm fluent in Spanish and maybe thats why I did poorly on verbal. I think I drew the short straw on the exam. Studied well over 1000 definitions and only saw 6 words on the actual exam LOL

I've completed an honors thesis of which I presented at an undergrad symposium as first author and I'm going to try to get the paper published as well (first author). I wiill try to present it at another conference later this year.

I've worked in 3 research labs including one I practically created at my University since noone in the Psych department had any idea where I could conduct a study with rats and I ended up renting some space in another lab.

I'm also a McNair and PRIME fellow. My professional experience includes working as a behavior therapist and an internship at a school for people with developmental disorders.

I would say my letters of recommendation were strong. I only applied to 3 schools (all PhD programs), 2 of which are Ivy league and the third is a state school but apparently extremely competitive.

Its amazing how much others have accomplished and it leads me to believe I probably won't get any interviews :(

All my friends seem so sure I'm a shoe in but I don't feel that way at all. I think that's why I'm asking for third-party opinions. So WAMC?

So what are my chances?

GPA: 3.7 Cumulative as of right now...but I think its going to drop a bit (maybe to a 3.5) because I decided to minor in statistics.... if it wasn't for that I'd have a 3.8 gpa....

that being said..... does a minor in Stats even help? personally, I'm glad I did it because I want to do a clinical researcher emphasis and I feel I'm much more prepared for grad school with regards to designing experiments than I would have been if I hadn't minored in Stats...

GRE: scored fairly low..
CUM: 1200
Verbal: 520
Quant: 680

Not trying to make excuses but I'm fluent in Spanish and maybe thats why I did poorly on verbal. I think I drew the short straw on the exam. Studied well over 1000 definitions and only saw 6 words on the actual exam LOL

I've completed an honors thesis of which I presented at an undergrad symposium as first author and I'm going to try to get the paper published as well (first author). I wiill try to present it at another conference later this year.

I've worked in 3 research labs including one I practically created at my University since noone in the Psych department had any idea where I could conduct a study with rats and I ended up renting some space in another lab.

I'm also a McNair and PRIME fellow. My professional experience includes working as a behavior therapist and an internship at a school for people with developmental disorders.

I would say my letters of recommendation were strong. I only applied to 3 schools (all PhD programs), 2 of which are Ivy league and the third is a state school but apparently extremely competitive.

Its amazing how much others have accomplished and it leads me to believe I probably won't get any interviews :(

All my friends seem so sure I'm a shoe in but I don't feel that way at all. I think that's why I'm asking for third-party opinions. So WAMC?

Did you take the TOEFL? Because I gather that if you do well on that test but poorly on the verbal schools tend to weight it a little less. With 1200 you should be able to at least make the cut, though it might be higher depending on where you applied.

I've a prof who is willing to consider me but I am only able to do 1 semester of RA in her lab and she is very reluctant to just let me do a semester.

I am hoping to do my GRE next year june before the new format is out.
( This is another qns I have now - Should I do the new GRE or the current GRE format?)

I am now preparing myself for the Verbal portion of the GRE...

Yes, graduate school in clinical psychology is competitive. It is in your best interest to obtain the best possible research experience before you apply to graduate school. That is, the quality of your research experience will be the main focal point of your application aside from your letters of recommendation.

You should make every effort to take the current GRE bec. many of the prep books will help you raise your score. No one aside from ETS will know exactly how the new format will look like.

Hi everyone!

I had a few general questions about my application chances--I'm currently a senior in college and will be applying next fall, so nothing's set in stone yet. I'll get the stats out of the way first:

GPA: currently a 3.91 (majoring in psych and English at an Ivy)
GREs: 690 Verbal, 750 Math, 4.5 Writing
Research: I work in two labs--one in a clinical preschool program doing research assessments and PPVTs plus working on my honors thesis, and another doing recruitment, screenings and assessments for a substance use lab. I also worked in another psych lab for one semester.
LORs: The PIs of my current labs have agreed to write me strong letters. The third is yet to be determined.
Pubs/presentations: None yet, though I may have non-first-authorship on a paper by the end of the year (fingers crossed)
Clinical: I volunteered at a partial hospital program for a summer.

Now, the questions:
-I'm primarily interested in child psych, so I might apply to some school psych PhD programs. I'm having a hard time figuring out how competitive those are, in general. Any thoughts as to whether or not I'd be a good fit for reputable school psych programs?

Thank you all so much!

Your scores are excellent (TIER 1) and nothing to worry or be ashamed about your writing score. Most programs do not even know how to interpret the writing section and prefer that score above 4.0.

You should not simply apply to top-notch programs just based on prestige. I hope your mentor will stress the importance of "fit" and selecting programs based on your research interest (e.g., depression, NSSI, etc.) and not on prestige. You will need to select your schools based on your interest and there are great researchers at non-top schools (e.g., Thomas Joiner, FSU, Jeremy Pettit FIU, Jutta Joorman U. Miami, the late Dr. Abela Rutgers etc.).

Yeah, they don't hand out Ph.D.'s. I second what was said earlier about getting good quality research experiences. Most people that get accepted into grad school have at least 1-2 years of research experience, many involving their own projects/posters/pubs. The GRE is often used as a weed-out to determine who gets considered for interviews, so it's important to do as well as you can.

I think I am in a bad shape for a Junior.
By the time I graduate, I would have had only 1/2 yr research experience... With a 3.5/4 and perhaps 1300 gre.

I did Police work before for 2 yrs.. doing data analysis and data collation/entry.. dealing with unsound mind..

Does those stuff helps?

Did you take the TOEFL? Because I gather that if you do well on that test but poorly on the verbal schools tend to weight it a little less. With 1200 you should be able to at least make the cut, though it might be higher depending on where you applied.

No, I dont see a need to take it. I speak and write in English more fluently than in Spanish. I don't see the external validity of the gre anyway....I can write well and can analyze articles. In the real world noone sits behind you with a stop watch while your write an essay or try to read and understand articles. I hate standardized tests.

I think I am in a bad shape for a Junior.
By the time I graduate, I would have had only 1/2 yr research experience... With a 3.5/4 and perhaps 1300 gre.

I did Police work before for 2 yrs.. doing data analysis and data collation/entry.. dealing with unsound mind..

Does those stuff helps?

It sounds like the law enforcement work was somewhat research-based, which definitely does help. However, with the way applicant pools to Ph.D. programs currently look, it may not be enough without having your name on at least a couple poster presentations.

There's no harm in applying during your senior year (other than having to pay application fees), but you will also want to have a contingency plan in place. Thus, try to get as much research experience as possible while you're still in school, and begin looking for post-undergrad positions the semester or two before you graduate.

Hi all,

I've been a member for a while now and have found the forum an extraordinary help. I'm a junior in college aiming for a career in clinical psych; I'm still uncertain, though, whether applying straight from undergrad is the most advantageous move for me. My letter-writer scenario may be the defining factor re: whether I spend my senior year (1) applying to clinical programs, or (2) searching for a full-time research job.

If I were to apply next fall, I would have the following options for letter writers:
(1) My research advisor (also my current academic advisor). I've worked with her on research in my central area of interest since Fall of my sophomore year. I completed a year-long independent project under her supervision (produced a paper but no publication), and I'll complete another project with her by this school year's end. She'll likely supervise my senior thesis, as well. Also, she has supervised some of the 'clinical' work I've done, which is connected to the research.
(2) My former academic advisor (for 2 years) who taught me in a mid-level psych course. We have a close and positive relationship, and I know she'd write a great letter for me. However, I've not worked on research with her, and her specialty is not clinical psych.
(3) Here's where it gets tricky. I could ask another professor (with whom I've taken two classes - she knows me well, but again, not in clinical) for a letter, or my research supervisor from a summer internship (worked with her closely, but she's not a psychologist...she's working on her master's degree in social work).

So, my question: Does this sound like an adequate collection of recommenders? Or am I better off looking for a full-time, post-grad research job, working under other clinical psychologists, and - hopefully - have more research supervisors (rather than professors) write my letters, instead?

Thanks for any and all help!

Hi all,

I've been a member for a while now and have found the forum an extraordinary help. I'm a junior in college aiming for a career in clinical psych; I'm still uncertain, though, whether applying straight from undergrad is the most advantageous move for me. My letter-writer scenario may be the defining factor re: whether I spend my senior year (1) applying to clinical programs, or (2) searching for a full-time research job.

If I were to apply next fall, I would have the following options for letter writers:
(1) My research advisor (also my current academic advisor). I've worked with her on research in my central area of interest since Fall of my sophomore year. I completed a year-long independent project under her supervision (produced a paper but no publication), and I'll complete another project with her by this school year's end. She'll likely supervise my senior thesis, as well. Also, she has supervised some of the 'clinical' work I've done, which is connected to the research.
(2) My former academic advisor (for 2 years) who taught me in a mid-level psych course. We have a close and positive relationship, and I know she'd write a great letter for me. However, I've not worked on research with her, and her specialty is not clinical psych.
(3) Here's where it gets tricky. I could ask another professor (with whom I've taken two classes - she knows me well, but again, not in clinical) for a letter, or my research supervisor from a summer internship (worked with her closely, but she's not a psychologist...she's working on her master's degree in social work).

So, my question: Does this sound like an adequate collection of recommenders? Or am I better off looking for a full-time, post-grad research job, working under other clinical psychologists, and - hopefully - have more research supervisors (rather than professors) write my letters, instead?

Thanks for any and all help!

I'd say go for the prof for the third, but you can always have four letter-writers and rotate.

As for when t apply: If you feel ready now, apply. If you're hesitant, wait. Go with your gut.

I am applying to clinical psyD programs.
GPA: cumulative 3.54, in major (psych) 3.87 from an ivy league university
GRE: 580 verbal, 760 math, 5 on analytical writing

I worked in a psych lab as an RA for 4 semesters as well as worked on a field work research team, and I have SOME clinical experience (volunteered at a suicide hotline), but was only there for a very short time.

I'm worried my letters of rec and admissions essays are not too strong though because i had to work very quickly to meet the deadlines.

GWU is my first choice program, I was wondering what my chances would be for that.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hello,

I am new to the field of neuropsychology, having gained my first real exposure to it as a volunteer in a behavioral neuro clinic. Since graduating a little over a year and a half ago, I've been working in a biomedical research lab, and have been very productive in terms of publishing and learning about experimental design/research methods. I had originally planned to take this time off post-graduating to gain work experience and a better understanding of my motivations to pursue medical school. Over time though, I've realized my interests are strongly rooted in neuro-related science, rather than medical science. I've been researching clinical neuropsychology for quite some time now, and I am greatly drawn to pursuing it as a career, as it is the only discipline that truly seems to study behavior in conjunction with the brain and it seems to afford greater time with patients. However, I do have a few concerns regarding my eligibility as a candidate for clinical psych doctoral programs.

Firstly, my undergraduate majors were in biology and neuroscience, and not psychology. While I do have some psychology coursework, I've read that not all programs require an undergraduate psychology major, but is taking the GRE subject test enough to compensate for this, or are there a few specific courses most programs require?

Also, I know clin psych programs can fare differently in terms of rankings, but many of them seem to have a cutoff of 3.0 for uGPA. Some of the pre-med coursework I took, took a beating on my uGPA, which is 3.2. Is it unreasonable of me to consider applying to clin psych doctoral programs given that I get good GRE and GRE subject test scores, or would I be better off pursuing a master's degree first?

Lastly, does anyone know where I could find a list of all the APA accredited clin psych phd programs that offer a neuropsychology specialization?

Any advice is greatly appreciated- thanks!

I've been reading this form for a while, but this is my first post! Woo-hoo!

I am interested in programs with a strong Community Psych. concentration and would like some input on how I best might pursue this. I ideally would like a program that is equally balanced between clinical/direct service interventions, with a comprehensive community psych approach, instead of a non-licensed Community Psych program ONLY. Having already studied social policy at the graduate level, I feel that the Clinical or Counseling Psych would give me more value-add to what I want to do in the future. So the big questions:

What are the best Clinical/Community Psychology programs that you know of? Do PsyD Clinical/Community tend to be better - or PhD Clinical/Community programs?

My understanding is that there are no Counseling/Community Programs - why is this? Is it because most Counseling programs are more naturally "community" oriented than Clinical programs in the first place?

And last, looking at my stats (and general lack of clinical experience), do I look competitive? (see below)

I have worked in education and nonprofit management/community services for about eight years now, and currently work as Program Officer at a small/medium sized foundation. My portfolio is mostly education and employment initiatives.

In the future, I want to design, implement and evaluate individual and group-level interventions for at-risk urban youth, immigrants, and low-income women. I would love to adjunct in the future but am not interested in pursuing a tenure-track position.

Education
3.7 Undergrad GPA, Sociology Major

I have an MPA from a top-ten school, concentration in social policy analysis, GPA 3.6

Psych/Clinical Background
I have taken 12 credits of undergrad psych, GPA 4.0 (Intro, Social Psych, Personality, and Abnormal Psych)

I worked as a part-time therapeutic mentor for a foster child with the Department of Children and Families in my home state, under the supervision of an LCSW

I have done a lot of informal college and career counseling for high school and college students at a previous nonprofit job

Research
I completed a two-year graduate research assistantship while doing my MPA at an academic research center. The work was all education policy and program evaluation within a large urban, public school system. I've conducted and coded interviews with teachers and principals; cleaned and prepped performance and demographic data on students and schools for SPSS and STATA; worked on what seems like a billion lit reviews for grant proposals; taken the lead on writing a policy brief that was published on the website; and been listed on a white paper as well. Even though not directly related to psychology..will this experience be looked at favorably?

Any and all insight is helpful...thanks in advance!

Howabout Michigan's joint program in Psychology and Social Work--very well regarded. University of Chicago also has some interesting programs in SSA. Or UC Santa Barbara's combined clinical, counseling, school program? Your diversity of employment experience would be appealing to all of them I think.

hello!
I was wondering if people could lend some thoughts on my application viability. I'm aware that many of you are clinically focused and my interests are in pure research social programs but I would still really appreciate feedback.

undergrad, top 30 university:
GPA- 3.3 (Major in history, took 6 psych classes with good grades,
jr/sr GPA- 3.6)
1 semester RA-ship

MA same university:
Currently in 1 year general/research master's
Independent project- master's thesis- series of 3 empirical studies
-1 poster presentation submitted and will submit journal article in few months (1st author)

GRE- 1410 Math 780, Verbal 630

3 excellent letters, including 1 from program chair (thesis adviser)

Much of my time in undergrad was in extracurricular stuff, though I'm not claiming any excuse for the low GPA
-Captain of NCAA athletics team
-Director of national non-profit org working with disabled youth

I applied to pretty much only tier 1 and a couple tier 2 programs with good fit (social cognition stuff) and am concerned about getting in nowhere because of low grades freshmen/sophomore year.

Thoughts?

-socpsych

I don't think the 3.3 undergrad GPA will hurt much since you had an upward trend and did an MA (assuming you received decent grades for your MA)

I think you have a very good overall resume but you probably have a little less research experience needed for a good shot at tier 1 schools. however, if you have good research matches you have a good chance of getting in somewhere :)

Would love to hear from you guys on my chances... I'm pretty anxious about the whole process...

Psychology and English Major
3.39 cumulative, Ivy League

During Undergraduate:
-3 years as social psych research assistant, part-time, work on affect
-1 summer internship at clinic, developed behavior modification program
-1 year at associated Ivy League (not mine) as literary based psych RA on emotional intelligence and children
-2 years peer counseling training and working as counselor on campus

Post-Grad:
-1 year immediately following graduation as RA at top 5 medical center on clin psych research study
-1.5 years at current position as clinical research study coordinator on neuroscience based multi-site research trials, top 3 medical center, pediatric research in my field of interest for phd
-Attended conferences, but no poster presentations or authorships

GRE
670 subject
630 q
670 v
1300 cum
5 analytical

LOR
PIs at both labs from post-grad and current lab manager at current site.

Given the low acceptance rates, prob going to apply to ~20 clinical psych phd programs and 5 masters programs.

Thoughts? I know my GPA is low... and I'm also a bit worried that I have no professor rec (large class sizes at my undergrad). Plus, is having a rec from my first clinical lab, which will be nearly 3 years ago by the time I apply, bad?

Thanks for your help!

Also, my interest is most specifically autism. Thank you for any insights!

Wondering WAMC given my rather unique situation. Basically, I am currently in a doctoral program (in marketing) that is falling apart and have decided to apply to clinical psych programs as a safeguard and because it is what I truly want to do. For the curious ones, this the thread regarding the details of my current predicament:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=718885

In any event, here are my stats:

GRE Stuff:
-1310 GRE, 710 Q 600 V 5.0 A
-Did not take psych gre

Undergrad and Grad are both at the same Top50 university:
-3.56 Undergrad GPA
-3.74 Psych (undergrad) GPA
-3.81 Graduate GPA

Research experience:
-2 years as a research assistant in a fairly well-known professor's Depression and Anxiety Lab
-2 separate labs in marketing since joining the program (in my second year currently)
-poster presentation from my graduate program

Clinical experience:
-About six months as a crisis hotline counselor

LORs:
-Pretty sure they are stellar. One of my LOR writers actually states in the rec that he'd admit me into his doctoral program if that's where I wanted to go.

Applied to:
UM (counseling and clinical)
UCF
USF
SIUC
CSU (counseling)
OSU
Missouri-Columbia
Memphis

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
So I am new to this site, but wanted to get some feedback.

I applied to counseling PhD programs at

UW Madison
ASU
KU
UMKC

My undergrad major was psychology with a GPA of 3.7

I have a MS in Counseling with a 4.0 graduate level GPA(56 graduate level credits)

My GRE scores are
Verbal 560
Quantitative 540
Analytical 4.0

Clinical experience:
I spent 2 years working as a graduate assistant in a university counseling center providing counseling services. I am currently provisionally licensed as a counselor and have been working since May in a local agency.

Research experience:
I completed a masters level thesis.

I am curious if I have decent odds of being considered. Thanks for any comments.

I was thinking and I should add that I was accepted and attended a local PsyD program (clinical) but I found pretty quickly that the program was not the right place for me and that I would be happier in a counseling psych program. I mentioned this in my application letters and my reasoning for it. I am also wondering how badly this will look for me in this process. While in the program I maintained my 4.0 graduate level GPA, so it was not a matter of difficulty in the coursework.

Schools I am applying to:
California School of Professional Psych
Rutgers Psyd
Yeshiva Psyd
LIU Phd
CUNY Phd
U Maryland Phd

GPA: 3.49 from Rutgers
Psych GPA: 3.74
Last 2 yrs of college: 3.93
GRE: 690 quant 610 verbal 4.5 writing
Psych GRE: waiting for score.....

1 year working in depression lab
3 months working in clinic

one plus is I have the best letters of rec i could ever ask for (my profs think too highly of me)

Last edited:
Thanks docma! These suggestions are really helpful - I hadn't thought about UMich before.

Ideally, I'd like to stay in the NY area - I've made a lot of professional contacts here since grad school and would love to remain in contact while in school.

The only program with a Community Psych concentration I've found here is the Rutgers PsyD program - is there anyone in that program now that might be able to speak to their experience? (I went to Rutgers as an undergrad and wouldn't mind returning). Or are there are other community psych-minded programs in NY I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Wondering what are my chances?

Undergrad: Psychology major in a large quality state school, graduated in 3 years (does that make any difference?)
GPA: 3.67, last 2 years was 3.75

I took the GRE 3 times:
1) 560V, 670Q
2) 590V, 610Q (I definitely freaked out from the first GRE and overstudied for this one)
3) 700V, 660Q

^basically, my highest verbal score is higher than my highest quantitative score. The last GRE puts me pretty high for the verbal percentile, but for my quantitative score I'm at a lame 61%. My question is -- how often do programs take individual subtest scores into consideration, and is a lower quantitative score considered a red flag?

Ok, back to my WAMC information:

Research experience:
1.5 years undergrad experience as an RA
Currently working full time for my second year as a research coordinator

Recommenders (all know me well):
1 Professor in psychiatry
1 Associate Professor in neuroscience
1 Clinical psychology Ph.D. candidate with an M.A. (he was my supervisor as an undergrad)

Here are my schools:
Fordham
University of Illinois Chicago
Drexel
Boston University
University of Virginia
University of Miami
Sam Houston State University
New York University (counseling)

So, based on these programs and my background, assuming my statement is targeted well, what are my chances?

My final question is unrelated and pretty general: are there particular fields within clinical psychology that are more competitive than others? For example, do professors who study depression typically get more applicants requesting them compared to professors studying forensics?

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this and give me feedback/answer my questions! I really, really appreciate it.

Hello, I posted earlier this year but no one replied, so I'm going to try again, although my question now is different. So I already applied for my Clinical Psych PhD programs, to 11 schools. It doesn't really matter at this point what people think of my application since I already applied, but what I'm wondering is what areas I should start thinking about improving on if I don't get accepted anywhere. I will reapply next year if I don't get in, and I feel like I should start making application improvement plans now just in case.
I'm applying right out of undergrad, here's my info:

BA in Psychology at a top 25 university, in the honors college.
3.6 GPA, 3.8 psych GPA, 3.9 last two year GPA. I believe got all As this semester so it shouldn't get any lower.

GRE: 1300 total, 640 verbal, 660 quantitative, 5.0 writing, 690 psych subject

Research experience:

Been working in a lab for two years now, I was their student then they hired me. I spend half my time doing data management (managing undergrads, coding, maintaining database, writing syntax for analysis in SPSS and SAS, etc.) and the other half doing research. Last year I did an independent study, and presented a poster for it at an international conference. My professor and I just submitted the paper to a journal this week. My current research project is a literature review, which we will submit next month.

Started in another lab this past April, and I'm doing my senior honors thesis in this lab. I'm working very independently on my project and my mentor will put that in his letters. I now have a lot of experience with Stata and MPlus. My project has been accepted as a poster conference for an international conference in the spring.

Just started working on another research project this fall, so far I have recruited participants and helped with focus groups.

Clinical experience:
I've been working in the VA Hospital giving neuropsychology assessments since last March for the psychology department.

Letters:

Full professor in clinical psych, has taught two of my classes, the second one was a ten person seminar, so I know her fairly well for a professor. I know she loves me and will say good things about me, but I feel this isn't the strongest since I don't research with her or anything.

Full professor in developmental psych, my honors thesis mentor. I'm sure this letter will be very strong.

Assistant professor in psychiatry, my supervisor in the lab I've been working in for two years. I'm sure this letter will be very strong too.

Other info... although I don't think this stuff matters much haha:
I've had a customer service job with the university for the past three years, work 25 hours a week there.
The university also employs me as a psych tutor.
Taking a graduate class next semester

I have a specific research interest and all of my research projects match this interest exactly. my letter writers are in the area of research i want to go in to and are well respected.

So I guess this isn't really a what are my chances question, but a what would you do? question. Should I redo the GREs? I'm sure I could do better, three of my friends died the day before I took them and I was a disaster the day of the test :( (BTW I didn't mention this in my SOPs because my scores weren't bad or anything so I thought it would sound like I was making excuses, do you think that was the right thing to do?) Also, if I stay in the same lab I've been working at but work there full time, would that help me to get in next year? They already offered, and I have to decide. It is a very well regarded lab in my field and they will be sending me to conferences and paying me to do almost all research, not lab work. Or do you think it would be beneficial for me to look for another lab to work in to both broaden my experiences and get a third stronger letter?
Thanks!

Hey,

I went to UNC Chapel Hill, BS in Psychology and am in the process of getting my masters at NC Central University.

4.0 Graduate GPA
2.78 Undergraduate GPA
3.75 Psychology GPA

740 Q GRE
600 V GRE
4.5 Writing
650 Subject

3 Years of Research as an Undergrad. I run the Stats tutorial center as a grad student, am a TA for 3 classes. 3 Strong letters. Interested in Autism Research. Was a Special Ed Teacher for a year between u-grad and grad

My Schools:

Vanderbilt
Miami
Santa Barbara
Yale
Georgia State
Pitt
UConn
Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Michigan
Washington

What are my chances?

Hey,

I went to UNC Chapel Hill, BS in Psychology and am in the process of getting my masters at NC Central University.

4.0 Graduate GPA
2.78 Undergraduate GPA
3.75 Psychology GPA

740 Q GRE
600 V GRE
4.5 Writing
650 Subject

3 Years of Research as an Undergrad. I run the Stats tutorial center as a grad student, am a TA for 3 classes. 3 Strong letters. Interested in Autism Research. Was a Special Ed Teacher for a year between u-grad and grad

My Schools:

Vanderbilt
Miami
Santa Barbara
Yale
Georgia State
Pitt
UConn
Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Michigan
Washington

What are my chances?

Any pubs or presentations? It's hard to say your chances without that info. Also, you're entering a really competitive field. Good luck!

Hello all! I am currently enrolled at Alliance Graduate School of Counseling http://www.nyack.edu/agsc2010, I am getting an MA in Mental Health Counseling which puts one on the licensure track for New York State. Currently I am on track to gradate next Spring. I estimate my GPA will be anywhere from a 3.3 to a 3.5 depending on how crazy it gets. My program requires 700 hours of internship (counseling) prior to graduation http://www.nyack.edu/agsc2010/explore/AGSC_FAQ, this will give me some clinical experience.

After I graduate I would like to apply for a PsyD program. The program I am interested in is Long Island University's C.W. Post program Serious and Persistent Mental Illness concentration.http://www.liunet.edu/CWPost/Academics/Schools/CLAS/Dept/Psychology/PsyD2/Concentrations/Mental.aspx

This program is exactly what I want to do. The program also will provide students with $20,000 for the first three years if they are willing to work with under privileged populations during and after graduation. Through a program named Fellowships to Reduce Mental Health Service Disparities http://www.liunet.edu/CWPost/Academics/Schools/CLAS/Dept/Psychology/PsyD2/Finaid.aspx

Currently I am employed by the City of New York as a Child Protective Specialist, over 90% of my clients are "under services/under privileged"
Also, I know I will need to get a great GRE score as I did not have to take one to get into grad school. My undergraduate GPA was below a 3.0.

I am wondering if I apply to this program, does anyone think any of my graduate courses would be able to be accepted so I do not have to repeat courses? Does anyone think CW Post would be interested in a person with an MA in mental health counseling?

My stats:
GRE:
490 Verbal (I've tried 3 times to pull it up and it hasn't happened)
710 Math
4.5 Writing

GPA
3.5 (from NYU)
3.57 (Psych GPA from NYU)

Masters in school psychology (3.9)
Masters in clinical/counseling psychology (3.85)

Research
6 months working in a research lab in undergrad
6 months working in a research lab with a clinical psychologist in grad school
1 year working in a research lab with a clinical psychologist in grad school
emphasis on health psychology and I'm applying to health psychology tracks
one poster which will be presented in April
Mastes thesis on self-esteem

Clinical Work:
1 year at a residential facility for children
6 months at a substance abuse clinic and still there
2 years at a hotline
camp counselor for kids with chronic illnesses for 2 years and started my own support group

main school I'm interested in: University of Cincinnati Phd Clinical Psychology

My chances? Also, I received a U my second semester in a 1 credit court. Retook the course (for 2 credits this time and received an S)

Letters of recommendation:
Associate professor has known me for 1+ years
Clinical Director has known me for 1+ years
Supervisor at current internship has known me for 6 months

Someone said not to apply to U of Cincinnati in an earlier threat. Why?

My stats:
GRE:
490 Verbal (I've tried 3 times to pull it up and it hasn't happened)
710 Math
4.5 Writing

Someone said not to apply to U of Cincinnati in an earlier threat. Why?

I don't know why someone made an earlier threat... :eek:

but looking at your stats with the stats they report, seems like you would have at least a reasonable chance at getting an interview if it's a good match.

Good Luck to you!

Mark

Hey,

My Schools:

Vanderbilt
Miami
Santa Barbara
Yale
Georgia State
Pitt
UConn
Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Michigan
Washington

What are my chances?

Not to be harsh but I am quite certain that some of those schools are unlikely to happen. You're shooting for top tier schools and your undergraduate GPA and your GRE will hold you back from being in the top rung of competition.

I would probably not bother with:

Yale
Michigan
Miami

Unless I was a perfect match for some reason.

Good Luck