This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm applying to PhD programs in Clinical/Counseling, my main research interests are a bit obscure-- Jungian, Existential, Psychoanalytic sorts of areas. Here is my info:

B.A. in Psychology and Philosophy (Double Major) from a little known state school.
GPA: 3.75 overall, something like 3.9 in psych and phil each

GRE:
V: 670
Q: 610
AW: 6

Research: Four semesters working on a research team, plus continuing to work with my advisor on a number of projects for the last 6 months since graduating. Overall, I have about 2.5 years of undergraduate level research experience. I've had fairly considerable experience in conceptualizing, designing studies, collecting data, data entry and analysis.

I have several manuscripts in progress, with one submitted to a journal with second authorship, but no publications.

3 presentations at APA as an undergraduate, as second author on all of them.
1 presentation at a national professional conference on a specific topic
2 presentations at undergraduate conferences as first author

Teaching: I worked as a tutor in both my majors, tutoring stats, research methods, abnormal, intro psych, etc. I was also a TA for an intro to philosophy class.

Clinical experience: None whatsoever.

I'm hoping to get in somewhere where I can draw on both psychology and philosophy. How do my chances look?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I have enjoyed reading the various threads. My situation is a bit different, as I wasn't a psychology major in undergrad or grad school. As a result, in addition to my undergraduate psychology courses, I took about 6 more psychology classes after finishing graduate school. Additionally, I presented at a research conference and submitted a paper for publication (on the link between crime and clinical diagnoses of schizophrenia). I have submitted all of my applications in to my schools, ideally for placement in a clinical psych Ph.D program. Here is a summary of my credentials below:

Undergrad GPA: 3.47 (does not include the 6 additional courses I took after undergrad, totaling 21 credit hours in psychology)
Grad GPA: 3.25
Psych GPA: 3.83
Stats GPA: 3.5
GRE: 1140; 4.5 Analytical

Research Experience: graduate thesis; 1 conference presentation; awaiting feedback on paper submitted for journal publication (I was primary author)

Clinical Experience: 2 1/2 years presently as a therapist and behavioral analyst at an adolescent community mental health center; will have national certification in cognitive behavioral therapy by July 2010; trainings in CBT, DBT, solution-focused therapy, etc.; bi-weekly clinical supervisions with director of National CBT institute

The schools I have applied to, which are undoubtedly competitive, are as follows:

University of Massachusetts-Amherst
University of Miami
Auburn University
Howard University
Nova Southeastern University (Ph.D and Psy.D programs)
University of South Florida
Northern Illinois University

My recommendation letters come from the clinical training director, my graduate thesis chair/department chair, and my undergraduate professor/mentor. I attended both undergrad and grad school at the University of Florida.

Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated.

Get your GRE up! It will likely get screened out at many places that screen at 1200 or 1250? What's your Q/V breakdown on that? And what was your grad degree in?

I'm applying to PhD programs in Clinical/Counseling, my main research interests are a bit obscure-- Jungian, Existential, Psychoanalytic sorts of areas. Here is my info:

B.A. in Psychology and Philosophy (Double Major) from a little known state school.
GPA: 3.75 overall, something like 3.9 in psych and phil each

GRE:
V: 670
Q: 610
AW: 6

Research: Four semesters working on a research team, plus continuing to work with my advisor on a number of projects for the last 6 months since graduating. Overall, I have about 2.5 years of undergraduate level research experience. I've had fairly considerable experience in conceptualizing, designing studies, collecting data, data entry and analysis.

I have several manuscripts in progress, with one submitted to a journal with second authorship, but no publications.

3 presentations at APA as an undergraduate, as second author on all of them.
1 presentation at a national professional conference on a specific topic
2 presentations at undergraduate conferences as first author

Teaching: I worked as a tutor in both my majors, tutoring stats, research methods, abnormal, intro psych, etc. I was also a TA for an intro to philosophy class.

Clinical experience: None whatsoever.

I'm hoping to get in somewhere where I can draw on both psychology and philosophy. How do my chances look?

You look strong in all areas (your GRE score, especially Q, is a *bit* low, but I wouldn't think that it would get your screened out at every program, esp. given your research interests, and the type of program you'd likely to applying to meet them). The lack of clinical experience may also hurt if you're applying to balanced programs. Your biggest difficulty may be finding good research matches for your interests! Have you looked at Duquesne's clinical program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my BA in Psychology. I'm currently working as a behavioral manager in a substance abuse rehab facility. I completed two internships during my undergrad. I was a research assistant both times. My GPA was not the best when I graduated, it was a 3.23. I am not great at standardized tests and my GRE scores are not that strong either. I am planning on taking classes in order to raise my GRE scores.

My question is, with a rather weak background, what preparations should i make between now and next January (when applications are due) to strengthen my CV? I want to enroll in a Clinical Psychology Psy.D. program and would really like some advice on what to do. As I mentioned above, I'm planning on getting help in preparing for the GRE's (both general and subject.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

do i have a shot at a PsyD program?

Absolutely. If you write a great essay and have some rave LORs, you shouldn't have a problem getting some interviews.

The best piece of advice I have read about writing an application essay is to keep reading it over and over again everyday after you write it. The longer the quality of the essay holds up (lets say after a few months of writing it) the more comfortable you can be with sending it to admissions offices. I found myself re-interpreting my own essay, over and over again and making changes almost every time I read it, whether it was content changes or order of ideas. Hope that helps.

ok, ill give it a whirl.
ive applied to some clinical psych programs, a couple phd (equally clinically and research focused) but mostly psyds. Im definitely leaning toward a PsyD program

undergrad gpa: 3.0 (ivy league school)
grad school (MA) gpa: 3.98

GRE:
Q: 680
V: 500
AW: 5.5
Psych: 630

I have research experience (at an ivy league university with a well respected and multi published psychologist), and have one publication from this.
I received an award for outstanding contribution to research from my graduate school (masters' thesis) and received 2 other awards from graduate school (related to high GPA)

i have great LOR's

i am an ethnic minority (for what it's worth)

I have over 1 1/2 years of clinical experience, and am currently working as a therapist in an inpatient D&A setting. i am a little over a year away from my LPC

SO... any thoughts? do i have a shot at a PsyD program? my GRE isnt so hot (that damn verbal section!!).. but clearly i can read and write b/c my analytical writing score is a 5.5. my undergrad GPA is low (3.0), but its also from an ivy league school.. and my grad is high (3.98)--which GPA do you think they will pay most attention to?? as for the psych GRE, is definitely not fabulous, but only one of the psyd programs i applied to looks at it.

thanks!!

What kind of PsyD program? Baylor, Rutgers? Indiana U-Pennsylvania, Wright State, Indiana State? Forest? Argosy? There's a wide range.

Without mentioning specific numbers (they are dwelled on too much as it is), here are my credentials (I am applying to programs with a distinct track in neuropsychology or have a lot of neuropsych stuff to offer - All Clinical PhD programs):

-Double major in psychology and philosophy (health sciences track), minor in spanish from a well respected Jesuit university (without a football team to boost the school's ranking) - 165 credit hours of undergrad work

-Will graduate in May with an MS in Neuroscience (will have 45 or 48 hours of grad work - the min to graduate with an MS here is 36)

-1 upcoming publication through imaging work done with a well respected cognitive neuroscience research center

-2 poster presentations (1 of which was presented at MPA, did an Advanced Independent study as an undergrad, listed as the PI and first author of the poster) Was the PI of both studies that were presented in poster format. Have noted 3 other research experiences on my CV as well.

-Philosophy of Mind focused undergraduate thesis, MS thesis in progress

-Summer long internship with a Brain Injury Association in which I helped plan, organize, and later attend a summer camp experience for people who have sustained a TBI

-Familiar with 2 different DTI software packages. Learning fMRI software at the moment.

-1000+ GRE, high graduate GPA (much higher than undergrad GPA)

- 1 year of peer mentoring experience

- 1+ year of working in an inpatient psychiatric setting (gained my position after shadowing the neuropsych staff at this hospital)

- Eagle Scout (shows dedication and commitment) w/ various other types of volunteering experience

- Have umpired youth baseball since age 11 (may not seem relevant, but I'm adding this because it shows dedication and commitment)

- 5 LORs

- Neither of my parents have earned a college degree. Will be the first in my family to have earned a Ph.D. assuming I successfully complete the degree.

-Well-defined research interests. Applied to programs based on matching interests.

What do you all think?

Your feedback would be appreciated.

-Brian

SDN seems to give great advice so please help me out if you can. I'm interested in applying to a few PsyD programs, after a talk with my wife, next year I plan to cast a wider net and apply to more schools.

Undergrad: 3.4
Grad: 3.5

Currently working as a therapist with loads of clinical experience so that really isn't the issue.

GRE: Abysmal. Below 1000 and I am planning to take the next 8-9 months to work hard to increase my score by 200-300 points before I consider applying again.

Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances of getting into a PsyD program. Besides the GRE what else can I do? Do students get into programs like GWU, Loyola, Widener, CW Post, Adelphi with my GPA? And can a strong GRE make up for that? I am mainly interested in programs with a strong focus on child and family therapy and/or assessment.

Thanks guys, again you rock! There's always Argosy but I struggle with whether or not I should try to get in there and then reapply during my first semester hoping to transfer out the following year. Do people do that?

SDN seems to give great advice so please help me out if you can. I'm interested in applying to a few PsyD programs, after a talk with my wife, next year I plan to cast a wider net and apply to more schools.

Undergrad: 3.4
Grad: 3.5

Currently working as a therapist with loads of clinical experience so that really isn't the issue.

GRE: Abysmal. Below 1000 and I am planning to take the next 8-9 months to work hard to increase my score by 200-300 points before I consider applying again.

Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances of getting into a PsyD program. Besides the GRE what else can I do? Do students get into programs like GWU, Loyola, Widener, CW Post, Adelphi with my GPA? And can a strong GRE make up for that? I am mainly interested in programs with a strong focus on child and family therapy and/or assessment.

Thanks guys, again you rock! There's always Argosy but I struggle with whether or not I should try to get in there and then reapply during my first semester hoping to transfer out the following year. Do people do that?

Strong LORs and essays can always help take the edge off of lower GREs and GPAs. Re-taking the GREs and aiming for at least a 1200 is a good idea. The key is applying to plenty of schools and giving yourself a shot with the odds. As so many on this forum say, "It only takes one." Your amount of experience in the field should also really help your case. Good luck.

There's always Argosy but I struggle with whether or not I should try to get in there and then reapply during my first semester hoping to transfer out the following year. Do people do that?

From what I understand, you shouldn't plan to transfer programs at the doctoral level. It could be difficult to obtain credit for courses completed (and thus a waste of time and money) and wouldn't look so good during the admissions process. I would focus your time on doing things to improve your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the suggestions so far everyone, please keep them coming.

Is there any way that I can increase my GPA even after completing a masters program? My grad GPA is a 3.5 and I would like to take classes as a non-matriculated (not officially enrolled in the program) student to boost my GPA and to prove that I am able to succeed in the program. What are your thoughts?

Also, I am mostly a hands on/visual learner, how would you suggest that I study for the GRE? The math portion gives me a great deal of difficulty but that has not complicated my ability to succeed in classes or clinical practice. Any suggestions for this? I succeed mainly in a 1:1 environment and my mistake in this last app cycle was going to a class instead of getting a tutor.

I am sure that test anxiety and processing speed play a part in this but I'm not entirely sure how to get past thus hurdle. It was apparent that I know the information but when revisiting the information or the same problem 20 minutes later (more difficult math problems) I either forget or blank on the solution. This of course also has to do with the fact that I am absolutely turned off by the GRE, especially the math portion, it isn't something that I look forward to, nevertheless, something I must conquer to achieve this goal.

Thank you for the suggestions so far everyone, please keep them coming.

Is there any way that I can increase my GPA even after completing a masters program? My grad GPA is a 3.5 and I would like to take classes as a non-matriculated (not officially enrolled in the program) student to boost my GPA and to prove that I am able to succeed in the program. What are your thoughts?

Also, I am mostly a hands on/visual learner, how would you suggest that I study for the GRE? The math portion gives me a great deal of difficulty but that has not complicated my ability to succeed in classes or clinical practice. Any suggestions for this? I succeed mainly in a 1:1 environment and my mistake in this last app cycle was going to a class instead of getting a tutor.

I am sure that test anxiety and processing speed play a part in this but I'm not entirely sure how to get past thus hurdle. It was apparent that I know the information but when revisiting the information or the same problem 20 minutes later (more difficult math problems) I either forget or blank on the solution. This of course also has to do with the fact that I am absolutely turned off by the GRE, especially the math portion, it isn't something that I look forward to, nevertheless, something I must conquer to achieve this goal.

I was a math teacher and a test coach (SAT, GMAT, etc.) for many years. Here's what helped me on the GRE:
1. I became familiar with all the major test prep books and CDs on the market, doing all the exercises in all the books (Practice cannot be underrated.) One series of books that I REALLY like and is not as well-known as ETS', Princeton, Barron, Kaplan is Bobrow's. Great test prep courses, too--cheaper, fewer students in class and more experienced instructors than courses offered by the famous competition. (By the way, I've never been employed by them.)
2. I read a few pages of WordSmart every day and tried to use a "word of the day" in a sentence seven times a day. (It was a fun and humorous activity.)
3. In the quant section, for each problem type, I set up my scratch paper EXACTLY the same way. Going into the test, I knew how I was going to handle each of the more or less eight problem types. I knew how many steps I was going to do, how I was going to lay out my paper, and how many seconds I was going to spend on each problem. For instance, on a distance-rate-time problem, I always wrote the equation in the top left corner. Then, a couple lines below it, I rearranged the equation. Then, a few lines below that, I plugged in the numbers. (This may sound OCD but it greatly reduced my stress during the test and thus helped increase my score.)
4. I thought about my learning process while preparing for the test. If you're going to work as a mental health professional, then this step is not a waste of time! Think of it in terms of your strengths. I approached analyzing my learning process in a rather unemotional but curious way--as something to be improved, as if I were helping one of my clients. That helped decrease the amount of angst that I might have associated with preparing for and taking the test. Preparing for this test can be fun!

I spent a couple hundred hours preparing for this test. That may sound like a lot, but I'm not sorry! I think that test preparation helped me get a high enough score on the GMAT to receive a fellowship that covered half my tuition at a top 20 business school several years ago. It has probably given me a fighting chance of getting into a PhD program, too.

Good luck!

Is it possible to get into grad school at the same institution where you did your undergrad? I've heard its harder, but does anyone know how much this affects your admissions chances?

:scared: As I look over all these amazing stats above me I wonder if I have any chance. I'm applying to all Clinical Psychology PsyD programs and I'm wondering how I stand. Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.4 (bad, lots of science courses early on, improved greatly)
Psychology GPA: 3.8

GRE Q: 660
GRE V: 640
GRE AW: 4.0
GRE subject: 700

Research experience: Research assistant for three semesters

Clinical experience: Counselor at a psychiatric clinic for over six months (currently working there). Two clinical internships and three years of peer counseling hotline experience.

LOR: I had trouble with these. Large undergrad school. Got recommendations from work, internship and volunteer, no professors.

Personal statements: I cannot write for my life... worried.

Should I be planning to apply again next year?

:scared: As I look over all these amazing stats above me I wonder if I have any chance. I'm applying to all Clinical Psychology PsyD programs and I'm wondering how I stand. Here are my stats:

Clinical experience: Counselor at a psychiatric clinic for over six months (currently working there). Two clinical internships and three years of peer counseling hotline experience.

LOR: I had trouble with these. Large undergrad school. Got recommendations from work, internship and volunteer, no professors.

its always good to have a backup plan but i'd say you are a pretty strong applicant for most PsyD programs. As long as the LOR are still strong I wouldnt worry too much they are not from professors. The whole process has a lot of luck in it but i'd feel you have a decent chance based on your qualifications.

Applied to Clinical Ph.D. Programs with a research interest in substance abuse.

SUNY Albany
U of Georgia
U of Arkansas
U of Missouri
Oklahoma State (got an invite, Yessss)
Texas A&M
U of South Florida
U of Washington
Louisiana State
U of New Mexico

GPA: (B.S. from a school I feel is neither an asset or a deficit)

3.54 Overall Undergraduate (Pre-med for first two years)
3.69 Psychology
3.00 Graduate (One methodology class taken last semester, got a B)

GRE V: 500 two years ago and recently a 660
GRE Q: 690 then a 620
AW: 3.5 then 4.5
Subject: 700

Research Experience: 5 research and methodology classes, first author on manuscript submitted for publication, 1 poster presentation at substance abuse counselors conference, and 1 talk at research symposium.

Clinical Experience: certified substance abuse counselor (got it this month, Yessss!) anticipated on applications, 3 years counseling experience at a residential treatment center, 1 year as psychometrician at clinical psychologist's private practice, 1 year intership at inpatient mental health unit, 2 years as group coordinator and facilitator at grief center for children, and USAF veteran (had to throw it in, HOORAH).

LOR: One from the supervisor for my independent study who I had 5 classes with, one from my employer/supervisor at the practice and inpatient unit who was also my professor, and one from another faculty member that I am associated with. They aren't famous, but I find them to be respectable members of the academic community.

PS: I messed up the applications for the Dec 1st deadline. I included none of my personality and pretty much just showed them I was technically competent in each area of my experience. The last four were much better. However, I made STUPID errors such as putting the wrong city on one of my applications, word phrasing errors, one reference in my manuscript was out of order, and I didn't put the year of my manuscript on my CV (i.e. not in APA format). My attention to detail failed me. So sad :confused:.

Without mentioning specific numbers (they are dwelled on too much as it is), here are my credentials (I am applying to programs with a distinct track in neuropsychology or have a lot of neuropsych stuff to offer - All Clinical PhD programs):

-Double major in psychology and philosophy (health sciences track), minor in spanish from a well respected Jesuit university (without a football team to boost the school's ranking) - 165 credit hours of undergrad work

-Will graduate in May with an MS in Neuroscience (will have 45 or 48 hours of grad work - the min to graduate with an MS here is 36)

-1 upcoming publication through imaging work done with a well respected cognitive neuroscience research center

-2 poster presentations (1 of which was presented at MPA, did an Advanced Independent study as an undergrad, listed as the PI and first author of the poster) Was the PI of both studies that were presented in poster format. Have noted 3 other research experiences on my CV as well.

-Philosophy of Mind focused undergraduate thesis, MS thesis in progress

-Summer long internship with a Brain Injury Association in which I helped plan, organize, and later attend a summer camp experience for people who have sustained a TBI

-Familiar with 2 different DTI software packages. Learning fMRI software at the moment.

-1000+ GRE, high graduate GPA (much higher than undergrad GPA)

- 1 year of peer mentoring experience

- 1+ year of working in an inpatient psychiatric setting (gained my position after shadowing the neuropsych staff at this hospital)

- Eagle Scout (shows dedication and commitment) w/ various other types of volunteering experience

- Have umpired youth baseball since age 11 (may not seem relevant, but I'm adding this because it shows dedication and commitment)

- 5 LORs

- Neither of my parents have earned a college degree. Will be the first in my family to have earned a Ph.D. assuming I successfully complete the degree.

-Well-defined research interests. Applied to programs based on matching interests.

What do you all think?

Your feedback would be appreciated.

-Brian

hey.

i'd give you a spot on my research team! :D Seems to me like you have strong aptitude and experience.

however, the often discussed competetive nature of the field might hurt your chances of getting in. My first question is did you network with POI's? IMHO, it's especially necessary in cases like yours to get POI's to see you as a person instead of a bunch of qualifications. Second, you might need to improve your GRE's. I wouldnt worry if i were you, you look like you're on track to get accepted to a PhD program and do great work. Hopefully my shpeil will all be unnecessary and youll get in this round.

:luck:

Honestly, two of my letters are pretty strong, but I'm afraid that one of them does not count or may be held against me, based on what I've read online (after the fact, of course.) Assuming that I'm correct and the letter of recommendation does not count, my chances of getting into grad school are pretty slim, correct? :confused:

Is it possible to get into grad school at the same institution where you did your undergrad? I've heard its harder, but does anyone know how much this affects your admissions chances?

It depends. Varies by the type of program you're applying to (e.g., clinical, experimental, social, I/O), as well as by the program itself, and then the profs within the program. Some have official policies not to accept their UG students. Others are "open" to the idea but rarely accept them. Ask profs in your dept. They can often give you an idea of whether or not it's a complete waste of time & money.

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I don't know how much help anyone can give me, but I want to give it a shot. I am looking for feedback regarding what kind of chances I have of being accepted into a Psy.D. or Ph.D. program. I know no one has a crystal ball, and you all get these kinds of vague questions all the time, but this is something I am really motivated to do. Any feedback at all is grately appreciated.

I graduated from the Virginia Commonwealth University MSW clinical program last year. Been working as an emergency therapist with a public mental health office since. I really enjoy the work and it only makes me more motivated to continue my education. I also have a BA in psychology. My main concern in applying for a doctorate program is that the undergraduate GPA is around 2.75. With that said, my MSW GPA is about 3.93. My undergrad grades improved a lot getting closer to graduation. It is really because I played baseball my first year that I did so poorly academically initially.

Another concern I have is limited research experience. I participated in one research study involving young children in undergrad and conducted a group research study as part of the MSW. I would say I have strong clinical experience, with jobs in multiple crisis settings, working with the SMI population, substance abusers, and children/adolescents. I have not taken the GRE yet, but plan to this year.

I understand once again if this is a particularly repetitive question asked by new members, but I truly could use some guidance. If I do not get into a doctorate program after taking the GRE, I am considering earning a master's in psychology and hoping that most credits will transfer. I would also assume that, if I perform well, it may help overlook the poor undergrad GPA. I know that two programs in my area (Chicago School of Professional Psychology and George Mason University), have programs which enable you to do this. Any suggestions as to how to improve my resume would be great. Thanks.

If you already have an MSW, why would you go for another Masters in Psychology? Please don't do this, just focus your energy on getting a good score on the GRE.

I think you have a great opportunity to show that with maturity and determination you were able to pull up your grades from the end of undergrad through the end of your masters program as that is quite a jump. My only concern would be that you do really well on the GRE ie better than 1200.

Thanks for the reply. I would certainly rather go straight for the doctorate, but my concern is that I won't be accepted. My thinking is that if I earn a Master's, I will have gained: 1) two more years of study with good GPA, 2) more research experience, 3) transferable credits to a doctorate.

My concern with the GRE is that I've never been a good test taker. I suppose I can take it multiple times to boost my score. The honest truth is that I have an itch to go back to school. I really enjoyed the clinical aspects of the MSW. I have considered the doctorate in social work, but you are really limited to teaching and I suppose administrative positions.

Thanks for the reply. I would certainly rather go straight for the doctorate, but my concern is that I won't be accepted. My thinking is that if I earn a Master's, I will have gained: 1) two more years of study with good GPA, 2) more research experience, 3) transferable credits to a doctorate.

My concern with the GRE is that I've never been a good test taker. I suppose I can take it multiple times to boost my score. The honest truth is that I have an itch to go back to school. I really enjoyed the clinical aspects of the MSW. I have considered the doctorate in social work, but you are really limited to teaching and I suppose administrative positions.

Just keep in mind your credits won't necessarily transfer. Many schools do this on a case-by-case basis. I've seen several that only allow 9 credits to transfer, so you really would be backtracking.

Why not wait to apply until next fall? You could then apply to doctoral programs with master's programs as a back-up plan.

Undergrad cum GPA: 3.2

Undergrad psych GPA: 3.8 – 3.9

Grad GPA (program in psych): 3.7 – 3.8

GRE: ~1300

Research experience: About a semester’s worth. No publications or conferences. I’ve been trying to find opportunities for research but I haven’t found anything yet.

Clinical experience: Quality clinical experience.

Future goals: I would like to balance myself by doing clinical work and research. I would also like to attend balanced PhD programs but I am comfortable with more research-intensive programs, as well.

Schools: If requested, I will PM those who are gracious enough to help me the schools I'm interested in.

Any input regarding my chances would be helpful. Even suggestions on what I can do to improve would be great :)

Undergrad cum GPA: 3.2

Undergrad psych GPA: 3.8 – 3.9

Grad GPA (program in psych): 3.7 – 3.8

GRE: ~1300

Research experience: About a semester’s worth. No publications or conferences. I’ve been trying to find opportunities for research but I haven’t found anything yet.

Clinical experience: Quality clinical experience.

Future goals: I would like to balance myself by doing clinical work and research. I would also like to attend balanced PhD programs but I am comfortable with more research-intensive programs, as well.

Schools: If requested, I will PM those who are gracious enough to help me the schools I'm interested in.

Any input regarding my chances would be helpful. Even suggestions on what I can do to improve would be great :)

You're going to need a lot more research than that for higher-level balanced and research-focused programs. Otherwise things are looking pretty good!

Hey, I know I might be belaboring the point here...

But I just recalcuated my GPA and my psych GPA is a a bit lower than I thought it was (it's really a few tenths lower).

Do you think I'd still have a shot, if I were to get in a few months worth of research experience over the summer before applying for Fall 2011?

Your GRE score looks good, and as long as your GPA is above 3.5 you should be fine. Remember that its not these objective stats that get you in. All they will do is get you past the first (of many) screens. I would echo the last poster and say you should look for some research opportunities, perhaps try and secure a research assistant position? But far and above all this, you have to present yourself through your SOP and interviews as the best person for the position, and stress your passion and FIT for the program.

Hope this helps

Your GRE score looks good, and as long as your GPA is above 3.5 you should be fine. Remember that its not these objective stats that get you in. All they will do is get you past the first (of many) screens. I would echo the last poster and say you should look for some research opportunities, perhaps try and secure a research assistant position? But far and above all this, you have to present yourself through your SOP and interviews as the best person for the position, and stress your passion and FIT for the program.

Hope this helps

My grad GPA is higher than a 3.5 as opposed to my undergrad GPA, but I see that the main weakness is my GPA and my lack of research experience. I was concerned I wouldn't make the first cut...but I guess I'll have to pray that my SoP/fit will make a difference. Finding RA opportunities is a real tough thing nowadays, but we'll see what happens. Thanks for your input.

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

undergrad GPA (BA psychology): 3.75
graduate GPA (msw): 3.93

GRE: still studying for this (math is not my strong suit due to dyslexia), but the practice test gave me
V: 690
Q: 600

Research:
3 semesters research assistant (2 bio labs, 1 psych lab). Currently a volunteer research assistant in a psych lab at a university in my city.

clinical: two years of internships in grad school (1 teaching hospital in psychiatry dept, 1 community mental health clinic), currently working full time as a therapist (being supervised by an LCSW and a PhD).

also, any feedback on this would be helpful: I wrote a paper in grad school that my mentor thought could (with a lot of work) be submitted to a small journal. If I work on it with him and submit it, would this be a plus even if it got rejected?

I am planning on applying to both clinical and counseling PhD programs.

Hi everyone,
I am a new user but have been reading the forums for a few days now. There are not many threads about getting into a PhD program in social psych (that is my interest and as you will see below, I can't get my GRE's up to clinical PhD levels), but I was wondering if someone would be able to analyze my stats and let me know how I stack up? I am currently an undergrad, graduating in May. I applied to NYU and UMASS-Amherst (no others as I was crunched for time writing my thesis in the fall).
Here it is!

GPA: 3.91
Psych GPA: 3.87

GREs:
V 510 (I know :( )
Q 650
A 4.5

Extras:
Since sophomore year of high school till end of freshman year of undergrad I worked at a neuropsychologists' office helping them enter assessment data and helped with research on the validity of one assessment (no publication), also doing patient intakes and other administrative duties

Since end of freshman year of undergrad I have worked (20+ hours per week to help may for undergrad degree) as an RA at a psychiatric research clinic at the med school of an Ivy. Initially mostly data-entry and filing but I became very good at my job and eager to do more, so now I help coordinate a study (the PI is the psychiatry chair at this school) and am solely responsible for recruitment and screening subjects and other clinical research visits. Due to this I have much experience with assessments like the STROOP, HVLT, MATRICs, etc. No publications, however (very few RAs get on pubs and only if they've been there for over 3 yrs)

I have 3 excellent (I think) LORs from the PI of the clinic (who is also chief of psychiatry at a VA in the area), my supervisor, and my senior thesis advisor.
Senior thesis: gender differences in diagnoses of depression

Peer advisor to freshmen
Member of a small student panel that helped hire a new Prof.

PLENTY of volunteer work including Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in their Special Events and Patient Svcs dept's, and AIDS Project

How do we think I will stack up? Like everyone else I am DYING of anxiety. The mail doesn't come today! I hate Sundays!

Thank you!

Been looking for a thread like this.

Based on my stats, what are my chances of landing a "funded" clinical PhD program?

Overall GPA: 3.40
Psychology GPA: 3.66

GRE: 660V 670Q 690P 4AW

I was part of an undergraduate research team for two semesters, and we had posters in two conferences. I decided to change my interests after this experience, so the studies have little to do with what I'd like to study.

I've also worked as a peer educator in a field that is relevant to what I want to do. Two semesters as of application time, but I'm pushing three.

I was pre-med, hence the 3.40. The 3.66 is from an advanced 0 statistics course I took, and I was served the midterms (nearly perfect score on the final; pity it didn't help so late in the game).

Thanks in advance!

What's a "690 P"? P=Psychology subject GRE?

Two semesters of research experience might be a bit low, but it's still a possibility. Are you doing any research currently? Have you graduated from undergrad yet? If not, consider doing an undergrad thesis in your area of interest.

GPA's a bit low, but I wouldn't think it would get you screened out

Hi everyone,
I am a new user but have been reading the forums for a few days now. There are not many threads about getting into a PhD program in social psych (that is my interest and as you will see below, I can't get my GRE's up to clinical PhD levels), but I was wondering if someone would be able to analyze my stats and let me know how I stack up? I am currently an undergrad, graduating in May. I applied to NYU and UMASS-Amherst (no others as I was crunched for time writing my thesis in the fall).
Here it is!

GPA: 3.91
Psych GPA: 3.87

GREs:
V 510 (I know :( )
Q 650
A 4.5

Extras:
Since sophomore year of high school till end of freshman year of undergrad I worked at a neuropsychologists' office helping them enter assessment data and helped with research on the validity of one assessment (no publication), also doing patient intakes and other administrative duties

Since end of freshman year of undergrad I have worked (20+ hours per week to help may for undergrad degree) as an RA at a psychiatric research clinic at the med school of an Ivy. Initially mostly data-entry and filing but I became very good at my job and eager to do more, so now I help coordinate a study (the PI is the psychiatry chair at this school) and am solely responsible for recruitment and screening subjects and other clinical research visits. Due to this I have much experience with assessments like the STROOP, HVLT, MATRICs, etc. No publications, however (very few RAs get on pubs and only if they've been there for over 3 yrs)

I have 3 excellent (I think) LORs from the PI of the clinic (who is also chief of psychiatry at a VA in the area), my supervisor, and my senior thesis advisor.
Senior thesis: gender differences in diagnoses of depression

Peer advisor to freshmen
Member of a small student panel that helped hire a new Prof.

PLENTY of volunteer work including Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in their Special Events and Patient Svcs dept's, and AIDS Project

How do we think I will stack up? Like everyone else I am DYING of anxiety. The mail doesn't come today! I hate Sundays!

Thank you!

Does any of research experience tie into what you want to research in social psych? Otherwise, you look very solid as an applicant.

Does any of research experience tie into what you want to research in social psych? Otherwise, you look very solid as an applicant.

Thanks so much for your response! Yes, my research experience is similar to my interests and my POI's, especially at NYU, but unfortunately I heard from another applicant that they already scheduled interviews, and I wasn't notified. At UMASS I heard from this same person that she was accepted after calling her POI and having a phone interview, so I emailed mine and am hoping to hear a response (they do not automatically have interviews unless you ask, so I thought this would be ok). Otherwise it's not looking good. :(

What's a "690 P"? P=Psychology subject GRE?

Two semesters of research experience might be a bit low, but it's still a possibility. Are you doing any research currently? Have you graduated from undergrad yet? If not, consider doing an undergrad thesis in your area of interest.

GPA's a bit low, but I wouldn't think it would get you screened out

I've graduated, but I'll probably go look for an RA position closer to my interests. Thanks for the tips! :)

Curious about you kind, experienced people's thoughts on this. I'm not depending on this as far as getting into grad school, etc. But just wondering if any of you think it might carry any weight. For the past two years I have worked for a mental health hospital/system...in an exec. assistant role. Not in a patient-interaction role. I go on the units now and then and definitely have gained a lot of behind-the-scenes info on some of the administrative things behind running a mental health hospital etc. But again, not fooling myself - no actual clinical experience.

Just wondering though if that would count for anything. I mean personally, to me, it does count for something. Just working for a company who's goal is providing mental health services is what has driven me to work in that role as long as I have, and I picked up on a lot of clinical terminology etc. that may come in handy later. But do any of you think it'd be a plus on an application? Just that showing that my passion has been there? (Again def. not a substitute for clinical experience or anything...)

Either way, again, I'm not relying on it...just wonderin!

Curious about you kind, experienced people's thoughts on this. I'm not depending on this as far as getting into grad school, etc. But just wondering if any of you think it might carry any weight. For the past two years I have worked for a mental health hospital/system...in an exec. assistant role. Not in a patient-interaction role. I go on the units now and then and definitely have gained a lot of behind-the-scenes info on some of the administrative things behind running a mental health hospital etc. But again, not fooling myself - no actual clinical experience.

Just wondering though if that would count for anything. I mean personally, to me, it does count for something. Just working for a company who's goal is providing mental health services is what has driven me to work in that role as long as I have, and I picked up on a lot of clinical terminology etc. that may come in handy later. But do any of you think it'd be a plus on an application? Just that showing that my passion has been there? (Again def. not a substitute for clinical experience or anything...)

Either way, again, I'm not relying on it...just wonderin!

Are you aiming for a research-focused program or a more clinical-focused program? If it's the former then, well, research experience is way more important. I can't really speak for the clinically-focused programs because I only applied to research heavy PhD programs but I imagine they'd want to see a little more patient interaction. I don't think your experience is completely unrelated though. Coming in with some knowledge of HIPAA and a sense of what it's like to work in a mental hospital is good, but I suspect that this alone without more research and/or clinical experience might not be enough.

Are you aiming for a research-focused program or a more clinical-focused program? If it's the former then, well, research experience is way more important. I can't really speak for the clinically-focused programs because I only applied to research heavy PhD programs but I imagine they'd want to see a little more patient interaction. I don't think your experience is completely unrelated though. Coming in with some knowledge of HIPAA and a sense of what it's like to work in a mental hospital is good, but I suspect that this alone without more research and/or clinical experience might not be enough.

Thanks for the feedback. Probably in the long run it'll just be more useful for me personally versus for getting into a program; say, if I ever end up back in a hospital or more clinical health care setting. I have learned stuff that I wouldn't have thought about before, like you said, HIPAA etc., seeing some of the things Joint Commission expects, and some of the things that are a system-wide concern (census, having to tie into what the state also wants/needs, patient safety/risk management/EOC more specific to mental health), even just basic differences in programs like PHP versus a residential unit versus acute versus group home, etc. that I didn't know much of before. Makes me think about some options. But ...not as much as use for getting into Ph.D. I'm not relying on it as a credential (nor as experience, practical or definitely research), but just curious if it'd mean anything. So again thanks for your feedback!

(One thing though, I have helped host several CEU events. I don't sit in on all of them since I have to go out and help with logistical things, but was eating up what I could when I was sitting in mentally because it's educational info on the field which is what I want!! I sat through an entire 2-day training on assessing suicide risk... twice... lol. Didn't participate as a classmate in it so of course I know it doesn't count...but still...soakin' up what I can here and there just for my own knowledge...)

Last edited:
I am applying to Counseling Psych Programs this fall (right now the list is Boston College, NYU, Columbia, Fordham, University of Maryland, LoyolaChicago, and Miami) and was wondering what I need to improve/work on.

Undergrad GPA 3.5 (ivy league)
Graduate GPA 4.0 (MA - Rehabilitation Counseling)
GRE V - 720
GRE M - 760
GRE AW - 6

Unfortunately, my undergrad major was not in psychology and I took very few psych classes. I am hoping that my MA in RC will make up for that.

Research experience:
Research Internship with State Agency
Currently a research volunteer with clinical psychologist
Will complete individual project for research course by end of summer

Clinical experience:
MH Intern - working with mentally disturbed youth

I know that I am a little weak on the research side of things, but I am hoping that my writing skills and test scores will help.

Any suggestions?

You're way ahead of me! :p I mean it seems you have your bases covered from what I've learned on this thread (of what I lack)...but hopefully a Ph.D. student can give you better feedback 'cuz they've been there.

I started college as a business major with no motivation.
My grades were terrible. I've changed completely and now
aspiring to enter a Ph.D. program in social psychology.

I have plenty of C's, D's, a couple F's and LOTS of DR grades
in my first four years in college. In those four years, only 60
credits completed and GPA of 2.0.

Fast forward three semesters: 12 A's and 3 B's. I sat with an
advisor and together predicted my final GPA to be approx 3.2
when I graduate in 2011, so long I continue with A's and B's.

No clue what my GRE scores will be, but do plan on getting
research experience and great letters of recommendations...
and practicing lots for the GRE.

So SDN,

Considering my transcript, will PhD programs automatically reject
my application? Or will a convincing personal statement of my
situation and the overall positive GPA trend offset my lousy start?

Anyone with experience in acceptance rates for social psychology
programs with a low 3.0 GPA? And a mediocre GRE score?