This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here are my immediate reactions based on what I consider when approving RAs for the lab I manage, and on my own experience in graduate applications and admissions over the years.

4 posters, 1 UG thesis, currently working on 3 manuscripts (1 just starting out, 2 are wrapping up)
Forget about the thesis--everyone has done this. Same goes for the just-started manu.--unless it's closer to being submitted than not, don't make it more than a footnote or something. Similarly, define "wrapping up"--this still means "in prep" and having a bunch of papers in prep, esp. with no submissions, can sometimes be a red flag.
Posters are good, but it depends on your degree of authorship, and there's a very low ceiling & quickly diminishing returns in this area.
4+ years research experience
Spent 1.5 years working as psychometrist for clinical psychologist
To what degree? Which specific competencies and experiences make you better than the other applicants? What tests are you qualified to administer, and how many times have you administered them? Be explicit, otherwise you're allowing people to make their own inferences, which may very well be "can't be that much involved experience; any good clinical psychologist requiring significant, considerable testing abilities would only hire a psychometrist with significant experience or education." Same goes for research experience.
Interested (and have years of experience) in studying the relationships between stress and cognitive impairment in US military veterans (I want to mention CTE but don't want to get too specific)
Not relevant.
3.48 UG GPA (essentially the same psych GPA) - Graduated cum laude with advanced and research honors
Your GPA is low. Especially if your psych GPA is in that arena. You don't list your psych GPA specifically, you just say that it's "essentially" the same as your overall GPA, which leads me to believe that it's lower than 3.48, which is almost twice as bad. "Cum laude" is irrelevant--there's no set standard for what defines honors such as this, and therefore many schools set their own. For example, a 3.48 GPA wouldn't qualify you for anything where I got my undergraduate, whereas I've heard of schools that consider anything above 2.75 to be honors. And, to be honest, attending the school that qualifies anything less than a 3.5 as an honors graduate might also be a red flag.
I also took 25 credit hours my last Spring and Summer terms (not sure if that's at all relevant)
Not relevant. For some, may be a red flag.
GRE: 161V; 155Q; 4.5AW
Q score is low, and much lower than the other two, which is the opposite of the norm (if I remember correctly). Your Q score would likely concern a researcher.
Applying for NSF GRFP with a proposal related to aforementioned area of interest ^^^
Again, things that haven't come to fruition to any degree, aren't really considered as experience or therefore all that relevant.
Solid LOR's
What does "solid" mean? To me, that reads as "good, but could be better." You should only submit letters of recommendation that regard you as the next coming of Jesus Christ of the field, or whatever you can get that is closest to that. Don't ask current advisors if they can write you a letter of recommendation, ask them if they can write you an excellent letter of recommendation.
Gave a couple guest lectures on a specific area of interest of mine (early college enrollment) as an undergraduate (listed as teaching experience on CV)
Good experience, but this is surprisingly common. It depends upon the extent to which you were involved, the level of the course, etc., and if this doesn't tie back to your affinity with a POI, they'll probably just skim this over.
Editor for my UG's Psi Chi newsletter/Exec board member for my UG's Psi Chi chapter
In my experience, this will only really help your application if you're applying to the same school for which you served in the Psi Chi chapter. Otherwise, this doesn't really make you stand out amongst other applicants.
Started college at 16, graduated at 19, took 3 years off to work in research/clinical positions - Now applying as a 21 year old
Interesting, yes, but not really relevant (esp. considering your GPA). This actually could end up being a red flag--not only might some worry about your maturity level, but also wonder why you haven't done more with so much 'extra' time and/or advanced skills that you seem to be implying by mentioning this. I wouldn't EVER offer your age/DOB like this, but that's me; there's a reason why it's illegal for potential employers and the like to ask this question.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting, yes, but not really relevant (esp. considering your GPA). This actually could end up being a red flag--not only might some worry about your maturity level, but also wonder why you haven't done more with so much 'extra' time and/or advanced skills that you seem to be implying by mentioning this. I wouldn't EVER offer your age/DOB like this, but that's me; there's a reason why it's illegal for potential employers and the like to ask this question.

I agree with you. I basically did the same thing as Briarcliff (graduated HS in three years) but just because of where my birthday falls I was 17 when I graduated. When I applied to doctoral programs 2 years ago (I was 21), my mentor was worried about me being young and being perceived that way. It may not be that big of a deal if you look older, but if you are like me and get asked what high school you go to (and I don't dress juvenile in any way; I just really DO look that young) its important to not show you are very young. My professor told me some profs might think if you are that young there's no way you know what you want to do yet, your immature, etc, even with experience that shows that you obviously aren't. She told me to dress as professional as possible (no cutesy animal jewelry as I'm prone to wearing :p ) and don't let on my age. Being young and flying through stuff quickly could raise red flags. Of course, there may be some who are totally impressed by it! I tend to go the conservative way though. I'll be 23 this time around, though I don't know if that will matter as I'm still asked what high school I go to. :D

Forget about the thesis--everyone has done this. Same goes for the just-started manu.--unless it's closer to being submitted than not, don't make it more than a footnote or something. Similarly, define "wrapping up"--this still means "in prep" and having a bunch of papers in prep, esp. with no submissions, can sometimes be a red flag.
Posters are good, but it depends on your degree of authorship, and there's a very low ceiling & quickly diminishing returns in this area.
Be explicit, otherwise you're allowing people to make their own inferences, which may very well be "can't be that much involved experience; any good clinical psychologist requiring significant, considerable testing abilities would only hire a psychometrist with significant experience or education." Same goes for research experience.

To a similar end, having over 4 years of research experience but no manuscripts submitted (let alone articles published) might raise eyebrows, especially as some of these years of research didn't co-occur with a degree program and thus may be seen as time that should have been more intensive publication-wise because of that. If I were reviewing your application, it would make me wonder what sort of roles you played in projects and if they were "authorship level" roles. So, be sure to explicitly state what your duties were (data entry, writing, analysis, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I am currently a senior going to school online at American Military University/ American Public University. I am expected to graduate February or March of 2015. I really want to apply to a PhD program and I'm looking into and really want to be accepted to SDSU/UCSD program since my husband just got stationed here in SD. MY GPA is 3.6 and I'm studying for the GRE but I have no research experience and no way of getting any experience from an online school. Any advice? Am I even competitive without research experience?
I have also emailed some professors at SDSU asking if I can volunteer with their research labs but none have responded back. I think it might be because I'm not a student.

Last edited:
This is a school that gets 350+ applications a year, more than 400 in most recent years. With 0 research experience to a respectable PhD program, I'd have to put the chances at very slim, and that's even if you knock the GRE out of the park. That is definitely a drawback of online education, no real opportunity for relevant hands-on experience. This is a tough school to get into even for people who do have good GRE/research experience/GPA, not to sound like a downer, but I wouldn't make any long-term plans around this.

It's hard to plan on getting into "the" school you want. There's a reason people are usually applying to 10+ programs. The admissions rates are in the single digits for most reputable programs. The more geographically isolated you make your search, the lower your chance of getting in anywhere.

In my opinion, the only real option to be competitive here is to get a couple years of really solid research experience, with a few poster presentations at a minimum, you're gonna need 85th or higher percentile on the GRE Verbal, and 70th or higher percentile on the Quant to be competitive for this program.

This is a school that gets 350+ applications a year, more than 400 in most recent years. With 0 research experience to a respectable PhD program, I'd have to put the chances at very slim, and that's even if you knock the GRE out of the park. That is definitely a drawback of online education, no real opportunity for relevant hands-on experience. This is a tough school to get into even for people who do have good GRE/research experience/GPA, not to sound like a downer, but I wouldn't make any long-term plans around this.

It's hard to plan on getting into "the" school you want. There's a reason people are usually applying to 10+ programs. The admissions rates are in the single digits for most reputable programs. The more geographically isolated you make your search, the lower your chance of getting in anywhere.

In my opinion, the only real option to be competitive here is to get a couple years of really solid research experience, with a few poster presentations at a minimum, you're gonna need 85th or higher percentile on the GRE Verbal, and 70th or higher percentile on the Quant to be competitive for this program.

Agreed. The GRE numbers can shift around a bit (e.g., if you rock the Quant section, you can possibly score a bit lower on Verbal, and vice-versa), but there just aren't many reputable programs that are going to give your application a serious look if you don't have any research experience. Your best bet would be to either attend a brick-and-mortar, research-heavy masters program that includes completion of an empirical thesis, or to apply for paid RA positions near you (or volunteer in some labs if you have another job lined up already).

And yes, with most folks applying to 10-15 programs, applying to only one is going to significantly reduce your chances of acceptance. As WisNeuro mentioned, most funded programs are going to have application rates at or close to the single-digits percentage-wise (i.e., 5-10%), and attending an unfunded program would saddle you with significant amounts of debt.

Your best bet would be to either attend a brick-and-mortar, research-heavy masters program that includes completion of an empirical thesis, or to apply for paid RA positions near you (or volunteer in some labs if you have another job lined up already).

To add to this, if you do go for a Master's, I'd advise against getting it at SDSU. I know several folks who did so and wanted to get their doc there as well, and their impression was that it was not that kind of situation/school. Obviously this is a YMMV thing, but I don't think it's all that uncommon.

Hi everyone, I recently graduated and am hopping to apply for PhD programs in either cognitive or social psychology over the coming year. I don’t have any specific schools picked out yet, but I was wondering if you could kind of just give me a ballpark idea of how competitive I am. Thanks a bunch!

I graduated from UCSB with a BA in psych with a minor in history with an overall GPA of 3.76 and Psych GPA of 3.85

1 year experience as a research assistant in a cultural psychology lab (12 hours a week)
1 year experience as a peer mentor/research assistant at my campuses Autism Center (6 hours a week)

I have 2 very good letters of rec and 2 good letters of rec

GRE scores:
Verbal: 159 (81 %)
Quantitative: 154 (57 %)
Analytical: 3.0 (15 %)
Psychology Subject (haven’t taken yet)

I plan on retaking the GRE In the coming months and should be able to raise both my quantitative and analytical scores.

Hi All,

I'm looking at applying to balanced Clinical Psych PhD programs.

Undergrad GPA: 3.4 (from a competitive liberal arts school)
GRE Verbal: 167 (96%)
GRE Quant: 150
Analytical: 4.5

1 year undergrad experience as a research assistant in a Social/Cultural Psych lab
1 year post-grad experience as an intake coordinator in Adult Psychiatry at a major Teaching and Research hospital, worked closely with clinical research teams
2, 6 month stints as a volunteer research assistant in an cognitive psych lab, and another in an emotion development lab
1 year working in an urban/international setting as an academic adviser and ESOL teacher

I have 1 solid academic letter of rec from undergrad, one that's good, and a very good letter from a supervisor in the Psychiatry department

However, I have a harder time explaining the 'time off' I've taken working in college settings outside of my field, for 2+ years. How much does this work against me, if other areas are moderate to strong?

I know that my GPA is in the lower range, but I don't know if it's below a cut-off for some of the balanced programs?

Thoughts appreciated!

I'd retake the GRE if I were you. Your verbal is awesome, but in the context of your other stats (quant, analytical, GPA) there's a higher possibility someone will look at the verbal score as a fluke or lucky break or something.

I would try and get 3 letters of rec that are excellent--don't settle for just "good" unless you have to.

In terms of the time off, I've never heard of that being too much of an issue. The only situation in which I could see that playing a role in a decision is if you otherwise appear disinterested, or as though those 2+ years off are better indicators of what you want to do with your life. I mean, it's no secret that making a comfortable, living wage with a BA in psychology is hardly the easiest thing on earth, so I don't think it's too uncommon for people to have other experiences in between. I mean, I took a job where my supreme responsibility was to put microscopic laser holes into the lids of single-serve cereal cups so they can vent, solely because it paid awesomely and was the best case scenario at the time.
Actually, now that I think of it, are you listing these unrelated experiences on your CV? Because I don't recommend that. They're much more likely to focus on what's in front of them, not dissecting the time in between dates and wondering how you spent it, if that makes sense.

HTH. It's hard to get more specific without knowing the specific experiences/skills of the experiences you listed.

I don't know if they have to retake the GRE. It's hard to get a "lucky break" on an adaptive test, certainly not to the tune of the 96th percentile, just way out of the error bar range my friend. Plus, grad schools weigh the verbal portion much more heavily than the quant. Quant is more important in the engineering types of grad schools. Also, what is your Psych GPA, that might offset some of your overall GPA?

I don't know if they have to retake the GRE. It's hard to get a "lucky break" on an adaptive test, certainly not to the tune of the 96th percentile, just way out of the error bar range my friend. Plus, grad schools weigh the verbal portion much more heavily than the quant. Quant is more important in the engineering types of grad schools. Also, what is your Psych GPA, that might offset some of your overall GPA?

A quant score of 150 is at 40th percentile, though (see below). I find it hard to imagine many schools looking past this, especially when combined with a slightly below average GPA. I've also spoken with a few faculty members who actually say they put more weight on the quant score. Maybe you're right that the majority don't care as much, but it doesn't seem like a worthwhile risk to take when there's a chance of improvement. OP, I say focus on improving your quant score to at least 70th percentile, if possible. This is the only glaring problem I see in your stats. Good luck!

https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table1a.pdf

I'd retake the GRE if I were you. Your verbal is awesome, but in the context of your other stats (quant, analytical, GPA) there's a higher possibility someone will look at the verbal score as a fluke or lucky break or something.

I would try and get 3 letters of rec that are excellent--don't settle for just "good" unless you have to.

In terms of the time off, I've never heard of that being too much of an issue. The only situation in which I could see that playing a role in a decision is if you otherwise appear disinterested, or as though those 2+ years off are better indicators of what you want to do with your life. I mean, it's no secret that making a comfortable, living wage with a BA in psychology is hardly the easiest thing on earth, so I don't think it's too uncommon for people to have other experiences in between. I mean, I took a job where my supreme responsibility was to put microscopic laser holes into the lids of single-serve cereal cups so they can vent, solely because it paid awesomely and was the best case scenario at the time.
Actually, now that I think of it, are you listing these unrelated experiences on your CV? Because I don't recommend that. They're much more likely to focus on what's in front of them, not dissecting the time in between dates and wondering how you spent it, if that makes sense.

HTH. It's hard to get more specific without knowing the specific experiences/skills of the experiences you listed.

Thanks. It's helpful to be reminded that admissions committees could look past an 'odd job', and would understand the nature of a B.A. in Psychology. I think you are right about leaving off the odd jobs, it doesn't seem too suspect to be doing something else for a few months while you reearch graduate school.

As for my GRE - I do know that my quant is pretty low, and my GPA is in the lower range. I don't usually test well on quant, it may be nerves. I could probably raise it to the 50th or 60th percentile, but nerves really makes it a crapshoot. Would it help to write a short letter about my quant score? I always did well in math and science in high school, and did OK in college. Verbal has always been my strength. I wonder if a balanced program could look past my GRE quant? Or if this low quant score would really rule me out of most programs?

My psych GPA is also slightly lower for this reason ( a 3.6 if I remember correctly). I excelled in classes taught by professors teaching more to the humanities side of Psych (Social, Personality, History and Systems), and less well in classes that were taught by profs focusing more strictly on hard science aspects of psych.

Another question - can you give some suggestion about getting strong letters between now and December? Could this just mean emailing a former professor with your updated info so that they feel even more confident about you?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I'm looking at applying to balanced Clinical Psych PhD programs.

Undergrad GPA: 3.4 (from a competitive liberal arts school)
GRE Verbal: 167 (96%)
GRE Quant: 150
Analytical: 4.5

1 year undergrad experience as a research assistant in a Social/Cultural Psych lab
1 year post-grad experience as an intake coordinator in Adult Psychiatry at a major Teaching and Research hospital, worked closely with clinical research teams
2, 6 month stints as a volunteer research assistant in an cognitive psych lab, and another in an emotion development lab
1 year working in an urban/international setting as an academic adviser and ESOL teacher

I have 1 solid academic letter of rec from undergrad, one that's good, and a very good letter from a supervisor in the Psychiatry department

However, I have a harder time explaining the 'time off' I've taken working in college settings outside of my field, for 2+ years. How much does this work against me, if other areas are moderate to strong?

I know that my GPA is in the lower range, but I don't know if it's below a cut-off for some of the balanced programs?

Thoughts appreciated!

I was really similar to you, GRE-wise... I think my verbal was 94th percentile and my quant was 44th. I believe that my analytical writing score was a 4.5 as well. It definitely hurt me at some schools, but I did get some interviews (and one offer of admission). Of course, my GPA was a 3.7, so I'm not sure how much that helped.

Reactions: 1 users
Was wondering how late I am in the process if I'm still awaiting to submit my application to AMCAS

Think you have the wrong forum. We're the psychology forum and I doubt we'd be much help for med school applications :)

I just need the brutal truth. If I nail the GRE, do I have any sort of a shot anywhere? If so, where might I possibly apply. I am planning to apply during my senior year (September 2014 or October 2014)

GPA: 3.19 (I am going to be a senior in the fall semester. This GPA may improve slightly to maybe a 3.2 or 3.21, maybe a 3.23 at the highest)
GRE: Not yet taken. Planning to take it in August 2014
Psychology Research: None (I will be doing a 4 month internship from September 2014 - December 2014. I may also be able to find psychology research during my last semester of senior year)
Letters Of Recommendation should be very solid.

I was really similar to you, GRE-wise... I think my verbal was 94th percentile and my quant was 44th. I believe that my analytical writing score was a 4.5 as well. It definitely hurt me at some schools, but I did get some interviews (and one offer of admission). Of course, my GPA was a 3.7, so I'm not sure how much that helped.

My scores were very similar as well (maybe 98th? percentile verbal and <50th quant, and I think a 6.0 writing, although it was very soon after the measure became mandatory, so I'm sure I benefitted from some kind of curve) with a 3.4 GPA, and I managed to convince someone to let me in to grad school. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I just need the brutal truth. If I nail the GRE, do I have any sort of a shot anywhere? If so, where might I possibly apply. I am planning to apply during my senior year (September 2014 or October 2014)

GPA: 3.19 (I am going to be a senior in the fall semester. This GPA may improve slightly to maybe a 3.2 or 3.21, maybe a 3.23 at the highest)
GRE: Not yet taken. Planning to take it in August 2014
Psychology Research: None (I will be doing a 4 month internship from September 2014 - December 2014. I may also be able to find psychology research during my last semester of senior year)
Letters Of Recommendation should be very solid.

In all honesty, with a below-average GPA (not horrible, mind you, just below average relative to other applicants) and no research experience, your likelihood of even getting interviews to quality programs is going to be minimal. More than anything, folks are going to wonder how it is you've actually developed your interests, and if you're really ready for a doctoral program given that research is such a significant proportion of the training.

In your case, pursuing an experimental masters where you'll have the opportunity to develop a high graduate-level GPA and, more importantly, gain research experience and hopefully churn out a few products (a couple posters and a thesis at the least, or ideally a publication) might be your best bet. It'd "set you back" a couple years, but with no current research experience, you'd likely need to spend at least that amount of time as an RA in a lab anyway. Although the benefit to the latter vs. a masters is that working as an RA generally means you'd get paid.

My scores were very similar as well (maybe 98th? percentile verbal and <50th quant, and I think a 6.0 writing, although it was very soon after the measure became mandatory, so I'm sure I benefitted from some kind of curve) with a 3.4 GPA, and I managed to convince someone to let me in to grad school. :)

Jeez, 98% verbal..that's amazing. If that kind of verbal translates to the bedroom, you are prob scoring similary well there.

Hi Guys! I am a senior at the University of Delaware, and am applying to clinical PhD programs straight out of undergrad. I'm definitely concerned about my lack of post college experience/lack of publications, but I have been extensively involved in research throughout my undergrad.

GPA: 3.87
GRE: 157 math/verbal, 4.5 writing
3 Years working in a lab at school, promoted to highest level RA. I manage the other undergraduate RAs and lead my own coding group, on top of my independent project. I have presented three posters at local symposiums so far, and am currently starting my Senior Thesis. On top of that I am spending this summer doing neuroscience research at Harvard Medical School.
Letters of Rec: My mentor at school who should have a lot of good things to say about me seeing as we have been working together for three years, another professor of mine that knows me very well and is the second reader on my thesis, and the PI I'm working with this summer, a harvard med professor (although I know that quality of a rec is more important than just a name).
Many of the mentors I'm applying to work with are excellent research matches.

Here is where I'm applying:
American
Auburn
Florida State
George Mason
University of Memphis
University of Missouri at Columbia
U Maryland
UNC greensboro
Oklahoma State
University of South Florida
San Diego State
Vanderbilt
U South California

Do you think I have a shot?

This is good to know. Thank you. Do you mind if I ask where you applied? Or PM me if you'd rather. I'm still debating about which balanced programs I would apply to, how enjoyable it is to actually be in these clinical psych programs, what the lifestyle is actually like, etc

Firstly, psych84, that was an amazing comment and I appreciate it. I'm going to list off all my "stats" where there are any, so you guys can advise/evaluate me. Thank you in advance.

GPA: 3.7
College: Skidmore College, Class of 2010
GRE: have not taken it yet

Research background: 2 research assistant roles during and after college; 1 in a psychiatric study and 1 in a perception study

Problems with research background: Both my research experiences were short and surface level, so, although I can get a decent recommendation from one, I can't from the other. Also, I diverged from Psychology, 3 years ago and took a job as a paralegal. I thought I wanted to go to law school, instead of pursuing psychology. This was a mistake. Now, I am a bit stuck because it's hard to get a research assistant role if you haven't done it in 3 years.

Advice? Criticism? Thoughts? Please.

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question about GRE scores and admission requirements.

When a school list criteria such as "Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytic Writing GRE scores equal to or exceeding the 30th percentile", do they mean that each individual score needs to be in the 30th percentile or that the combined score needs to be in the 30th percentile? I've heard it's common that schools will want a min combined score (IE 300) but was curious to what this quotation would be interpreted as.

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question about GRE scores and admission requirements.

When a school list criteria such as "Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytic Writing GRE scores equal to or exceeding the 30th percentile", do they mean that each individual score needs to be in the 30th percentile or that the combined score needs to be in the 30th percentile? I've heard it's common that schools will want a min combined score (IE 300) but was curious to what this quotation would be interpreted as.

That particular wording would lead me to believe they want the individual scores to each exceed the 30th percentile. Particularly because, unless I'm wrong, the Analytic Writing typically isn't combined into the overall GRE score, right? I'd imagine that if they were talking explicitly about the combined score, they'd mention that.

But to be absolutely sure, you could always email the administrative contact. They're certainly used to fielding those sorts of questions.

I think I got passed over last time I posted, so I'm just going to re-post

Hi everyone, I recently graduated and am hopping to apply for PhD programs in either cognitive or social psychology over the coming year. I've been looking at a few programs, but I don’t have any specific schools picked out yet. I was wondering if you could kind of just give me a ballpark idea of how competitive I am and what level schools I should be applying for.

I graduated from UCSB with a BA in psych with a minor in history with an overall GPA of 3.76 and Psych GPA of 3.85
1 year experience as a research assistant in a cultural psychology lab (12 hours a week)
1 year experience as a peer mentor/research assistant at my campuses Autism Center (6 hours a week)

I have 4 possible letters of rec. One from a professor I did research with, one from psychology professor who I had for multiple classes/know fairly well, one history professor I took two classes with, and my supervisor I worked under at the autism center (I don't remember her exact job title, but she had her PhD from the center and wasn't a graduate student).

GRE scores.

I’m going to be retaking the GRE in the September and should be able to raise all of my scores, especially the analytical and quantitative scores.

Thanks for your input!

Hello!

All input would be greatly appreciated! I'm applying to Clinical Psychology programs with concentrations in neuropsychology as well as a few cognitive neuroscience and brain and cognitive science programs. I will have nothing published by application time though I should have something about ready for publication (our fMRI machine went down recently and that had been the plan for getting a publication out...). If it makes a difference I can provide a preliminary list of schools I want to apply to.

Stats
Undergraduate GPA: 3.48
->Psychology GPA: 3.8
GRE Verbal: 166 (96%)
GRE Quantitative: 158 (71%)
GRE Analytical: 5.5 (98%)
Psychology GRE: 800 (98%)

Experience:
April-present (4 months): Research assistant for a cognitive neuroscience laboratory looking at feature-binding tasks in younger and older adults (Collect and analyze EEG data, administer a few neuropsych tests. 10-15 hours/week).
December-present (8 months):
Research assistant for a cognitive neuroscience laboratory looking at goal directed behavior, memory, and cognition in older and younger adults using an extensive behavioral battery as well as fMRI. (Administer a number of neuropsych tests, help collect fMRI data, help with organization. 19 hours/week)
1 year: Research assistant for a study looking at the relation between social connections and suicide in older adults (10 hours/week)
1.5 years: Research assistant for a study looking at the relationship between low level mercury exposure, child development, and related disabilities such as Autism. (Some exposure to neuropsychological tests-Also did an independent study on this topic. 10 hours/week during school year, 30/week during summer)
1 semester (~4 months): Completed a "practicum in developmental disabilities" that included interning at an arc's music program for individuals with developmental disabilities.

Questions:
Should I retake the GRE?
WAMC? Is it worth applying this round?

Thank you so much!

I think I got passed over last time I posted, so I'm just going to re-post

Hi everyone, I recently graduated and am hopping to apply for PhD programs in either cognitive or social psychology over the coming year. I've been looking at a few programs, but I don’t have any specific schools picked out yet. I was wondering if you could kind of just give me a ballpark idea of how competitive I am and what level schools I should be applying for.

I have 4 possible letters of rec. One from a professor I did research with, one from psychology professor who I had for multiple classes/know fairly well, one history professor I took two classes with, and my supervisor I worked under at the autism center (I don't remember her exact job title, but she had her PhD from the center and wasn't a graduate student).

GRE scores.

I’m going to be retaking the GRE in the September and should be able to raise all of my scores, especially the analytical and quantitative scores.

Thanks for your input!

Not as many folks on here are going to be familiar with cog/social labs, but I believe those programs tend to get fewer applications (by and large) than clinical and counseling. Your RA experience sounds good, and while 1 year might be on the light side, I don't know that it'd significantly hold you back, particularly if you can talk about it and/or your future research goals cogently. The main "flag" would be the Analytical score, so if you can up that (and perhaps up the Quant score as well), in addition to applying broadly, I'd imagine you'll at least land some interviews. The GPA and Verbal scores are fine.

Hello!

All input would be greatly appreciated! I'm applying to Clinical Psychology programs with concentrations in neuropsychology as well as a few cognitive neuroscience and brain and cognitive science programs. I will have nothing published by application time though I should have something about ready for publication (our fMRI machine went down recently and that had been the plan for getting a publication out...). If it makes a difference I can provide a preliminary list of schools I want to apply to.

Stats
Undergraduate GPA: 3.48
->Psychology GPA: 3.8
GRE Verbal: 166 (96%)
GRE Quantitative: 158 (71%)
GRE Analytical: 5.5 (98%)
Psychology GRE: 800 (98%)

Experience:
April-present (4 months): Research assistant for a cognitive neuroscience laboratory looking at feature-binding tasks in younger and older adults (Collect and analyze EEG data, administer a few neuropsych tests. 10-15 hours/week).
December-present (8 months):
Research assistant for a cognitive neuroscience laboratory looking at goal directed behavior, memory, and cognition in older and younger adults using an extensive behavioral battery as well as fMRI. (Administer a number of neuropsych tests, help collect fMRI data, help with organization. 19 hours/week)
1 year: Research assistant for a study looking at the relation between social connections and suicide in older adults (10 hours/week)
1.5 years: Research assistant for a study looking at the relationship between low level mercury exposure, child development, and related disabilities such as Autism. (Some exposure to neuropsychological tests-Also did an independent study on this topic. 10 hours/week during school year, 30/week during summer)
1 semester (~4 months): Completed a "practicum in developmental disabilities" that included interning at an arc's music program for individuals with developmental disabilities.

Questions:
Should I retake the GRE?
WAMC? Is it worth applying this round?

Thank you so much!

The only real "weakness" of your app is going to be the GPA. It may get you bumped from some of the most competitive programs, but outside that, I think you'll be quite competitive. Your GRE scores look good to me, so I don't know that I'd spend the time/money to re-take it. And yes, definitely worth applying this round, particularly if you diversify and apply broadly.

Me again! Shamelessly promoting my post somewhere up there, help an undergrad out?

The only real "weakness" of your app is going to be the GPA. It may get you bumped from some of the most competitive programs, but outside that, I think you'll be quite competitive. Your GRE scores look good to me, so I don't know that I'd spend the time/money to re-take it. And yes, definitely worth applying this round, particularly if you diversify and apply broadly.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! = )

Hi Guys! I am a senior at the University of Delaware, and am applying to clinical PhD programs straight out of undergrad. I'm definitely concerned about my lack of post college experience/lack of publications, but I have been extensively involved in research throughout my undergrad.

GPA: 3.87
GRE: 157 math/verbal, 4.5 writing
3 Years working in a lab at school, promoted to highest level RA. I manage the other undergraduate RAs and lead my own coding group, on top of my independent project. I have presented three posters at local symposiums so far, and am currently starting my Senior Thesis. On top of that I am spending this summer doing neuroscience research at Harvard Medical School.
Letters of Rec: My mentor at school who should have a lot of good things to say about me seeing as we have been working together for three years, another professor of mine that knows me very well and is the second reader on my thesis, and the PI I'm working with this summer, a harvard med professor (although I know that quality of a rec is more important than just a name).
Many of the mentors I'm applying to work with are excellent research matches.

Here is where I'm applying:
American
Auburn
Florida State
George Mason
University of Memphis
University of Missouri at Columbia
U Maryland
UNC greensboro
Oklahoma State
University of South Florida
San Diego State
Vanderbilt
U South California

Do you think I have a shot?

I certainly think you have a shot given your GPA and research experiences, yes. You'll just want to be sure your SOP and other essays are written well and are very polished to help alleviate any potential concerns that might be raised by the 4.5 Analytical score (not that a 4.5 is bad, mind you; it's all just relative to the other folks against which your app is being compared). The GRE scores aren't necessarily a significant strength of your application, but I don't know that they'll work against you in any major capacity (caveat: I've not been directly involved in reviewing grad school apps since the new scale came about, so my internal metrics may be a bit off). Assuming they're in line with the average scores of folks admitted to the programs you've selected, the rest of your app should help you stand out. I'd personally be surprised if you didn't land at least a couple interviews.

Thanks so much AcronymAllergy! I hadn't thought about the prospect of a well written personal statement helping to make up for (at least a tiny bit) an average writing score. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Just a quick question, I have been looking at schools and whatnot and was wondering if it's acceptable to email the director of programs your interested in asking about student outcomes in regards to average GPA, GRE, ect of those who they accepted? I have noticed that most of the schools I've been looking at post that information on their website but not all. Would this be acceptable? Sorry if this doesn't belong in this thread, I didn't want to clog up an entire thread just for a quick question. Thanks everyone.

Hi Everyone!

I am currently applying for admission to non-clinical doctorate programs in psychology.
Undergrad GPA: 3.501
Psychology GPA:3.402 (had to retake statistics)
GRE: 1200

I am interested in the programs at these schools:
Albany
Lehigh
Northeastern

I was wondering what my chances are considering I am lacking heavily in research experience. I was also curious if there were other schools that I would have a better chance at acceptance?

Thanks in advance for your feedback, any help would be much appreciated. :)

Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I am applying to Counseling Psychology PhDs and LPC Master programs. I am currently wondering about how competitive I will be for the Counseling Psych programs. A little about my background, I am a non traditional student in in my early 30's who worked as a Law Enforcement Officer in an urban area for 10 years before I went back to school to finish my psych BS. I have three strong letters of recommendation from professors with one who worked with me closely as a mentor for 3 years.

Stats:
Undergraduate GPA: 3.75
Psych GPA: 4.0
GRE V: 161
GRE Q: 157
GRE A: 4.5
Psych GRE: (Haven’t Taken it)

Experience:
2 years research assistant looking at SES and attitudes towards environmental issues
1 year research assistant looking at SES, race and self esteem in urban males
2 years volunteering as child mentor for at risk youth

Schools:
Counseling Psych PhD’s
University of Missouri Kansas City
University of Kansas
University of Missouri Columbia

Counseling Masters or MSW
University of Missouri Kansas City
University of Kansas
University of Missouri Columbia
University of Central Missouri
Avila
Webster

Unfortunately I am tied to the area because of family and would like any input into what you all think in regards to the counseling psych programs at these three schools or Masters if need be. I would love to get into UMKC because of the focus on urban populations but a little unsure how likely it is to get into the program. Am I realistically competitive at this point or should I strongly pursue the Masters in Counseling first then apply for the PhD later? Thanks in advance.

I'm at the point where I am not even sure if I should apply for Phd next fall or take a year off and build up my chances... I am looking to apply for Clinical PhD most of the schools I am looking at are in the New England area like UMass Boston, Boston University, UMass Amherst but I am also interested in UNC chapel Hill and possibly some CA schools like UC San Diego. I am looking for advice as to if I should even apply and what I should do if I take time off/ before I apply to increase my chances.

About me:
UG GPA: Overall 3.73, in psych 3.91. Deans list 4 years/ presidential scholar

Research experience: completed honors thesis last year (finishing up gen ed classes now so still in school), I have been working in a lab with a different professor 1 year (still ongoing), presented my research (poster) at a state conference and won a 3rd place award, presented my thesis at a university conference (talk), planning to present more of my research in the fall at a multi state conference (panel talk), my thesis has been submitted for publication (still waiting)

Clinical experience: worked 1 summer at in internship with autism therapy, 1 summer for a non profit that helps at risk children with mentoring

Awards: 3rd place at state conference for poster, presidential award at undergraduate research conference, merit scholarship for performance in studio art (2nd major), presidential scholar award for GPA

GRE: Haven't taken it, although I'm registered to soon

Work experience: retail, secretary, I have worked all through my UG

Other: I have a second major in Studio art and participate in an athletic team

Please let me know any advice on what to do to. I love clinical work and research so if I do take a year off before applying to PhD I'm wondering which option is better and within both options what is better to do. Also what can I do in my last academic year to improve my resume.

Hey everyone. Looking for some guidance about getting a PhD in clinical psychology with a focus in neuropsych. Some background: I have a strong background in neurobiology, but that's not the route I want to go. Have had 3 years of research experience in labs, 3 papers, at least 3 posters, all at Harvard labs and have great letters of rec. GRE is 158V, 154Q, 4.5 writing. Problem comes with my GPA: it's low at approx. 3.1. I do have (mostly) an upward trend. Got A's in two high level seminar courses. Also took a neuroanatomy course last semester, while working, and got an A.

I am about to start a masters in psychology at BU this year. I plan on using this time to do really well in courses proving I'm capable of grad work as well as doing some solid cog neuro/neuropsych research.

Do I even remotely have a chance at a clinical psych program?

Hi everyone,
I am going into my last year of undergrad and this past spring decided to change my plans from applying to physician assistant school to applying to clinical psychology PhD programs. I have been a psychology major and spanish minor during my entire undergrad, but took the prerequisites for physician assistant school as well, such as organic chemistry and a variety of biology classes. However, due to having taken these difficult classes (that perhaps weren't exactly up my alley), I have a lower overall GPA. Here are my current stats:

Overall GPA: 3.21
Psychology GPA: about a 3.7

I am taking the GRE in a month. Also, because I decided to pursue a PhD later in my undergrad, I haven't had any research experience yet. However, I am starting independent research with one other student this fall. I will report this on my application, but unfortunately there will be no publications or presentations on it before the deadline for applications. I have worked at a group home for almost three years now, but I know that for clinical psychology (vs. counseling) this doesn't hold much weight.

Is it worthwhile to apply this year, or should I get more research experience and possibly a masters degree before applying? I am hoping that when I do apply, they will see that those hard sciences are what caused my GPA to suffer. My research advisor told me that acceptance committees actually look positively on students who have taken harder sciences, so I am hoping that will help me even though I only did average in them (mostly B's).

Thank you for your help!

Hey everyone. Looking for some guidance about getting a PhD in clinical psychology with a focus in neuropsych. Some background: I have a strong background in neurobiology, but that's not the route I want to go. Have had 3 years of research experience in labs, 3 papers, at least 3 posters, all at Harvard labs and have great letters of rec. GRE is 158V, 154Q, 4.5 writing. Problem comes with my GPA: it's low at approx. 3.1. I do have (mostly) an upward trend. Got A's in two high level seminar courses. Also took a neuroanatomy course last semester, while working, and got an A.

I am about to start a masters in psychology at BU this year. I plan on using this time to do really well in courses proving I'm capable of grad work as well as doing some solid cog neuro/neuropsych research.

Do I even remotely have a chance at a clinical psych program?

Mod Note: Merged this post into the WAMC thread.

Is it worthwhile to apply this year, or should I get more research experience and possibly a masters degree before applying? I am hoping that when I do apply, they will see that those hard sciences are what caused my GPA to suffer. My research advisor told me that acceptance committees actually look positively on students who have taken harder sciences, so I am hoping that will help me even though I only did average in them (mostly B's).

Thank you for your help!

MHO is that it's absolutely not worth it to you to attempt an application straight out of undergrad with those credentials. Simply put, you just won't be competitive at schools to which you would benefit from attending.

Difficulty of courseload is not the excuse you want for a 3.21 GPA. In fact, you don't want to offer excuses at all. Three things I would recommend doing instead:

1. Focus on your senior year instead of on applications. Boost your GPA as much as possible, and do a senior thesis.

2. When the time comes, absolutely rock the GRE. It's the other main objective credential being evaluated. It is what it is.

3. Research experience, research experience, research experience. Good applications give the prospective impression that the applicant will be a good researcher and clinician. The best applications state the applicant already is a good researcher (showing you're already a good clinician is for all intents and purposes impossible coming out of undergrad).

Look at the average GPA of admitted students for the programs you want to attend. If your competition is coming in and shoving 3.9s and 4.0s in the faces of PIs, you need to come in with something else- whether it be GRE, publications, or tremendous experience (or maybe all 3 :)) is up to you.

Hi All! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, I'm probably considered an "older" candidate. I received my BA in 2009 (27 y/o). However, I'm interested in PhD/PsyD for Applied Psychology, specifically IO programs, so the age + work experience probably isn't a negative. I'm also wondering if I have any chances for PsyD/PhD for Counseling Psychology. It's less likely, but I'm currently in a masters program and if I gain good experience + research, maybe I'll have a chance with less competitive programs. Anyway:

Stats:
Undergraduate GPA: 3.57 cum., BA Psychology from a school with a top-25 psych.-ranked program (nation)
Psych GPA: ~3.7
Current Graduate GPA: 3.91, Master of Liberal Arts, Psychology concentration at Harvard University, Extension School
GRE: 1120 total; Q lower (I took the new version but this is the equivalent old score. I know it's not great; I heard they're more lenient about GREs with "older" candidates? Also, I did NOT study for it b/c for some reason I scheduled to take it the week after final exams, and prioritized the class grades. I really don't want to take it again, ha..)
Psych GRE: Didn't take

Research Experience:
1 year research assistant experience, studying affects and moods of young children to predict later psychopathology (this was in undergrad though)
No publications.
I'll be able to get research experience at Harvard spring 2015, which would boost my candidacy.. but then I'll have to wait another year, and I'm not getting any younger.

Professional Experience:
4 years in talent consulting for a global technology company
Graduate internship in training and development for a government agency

Schools:
IO Psych.
CUNY Baruch
Hofstra
I think Columbia + NYU would be too much of a reach for me?, and I'd prefer the Northeast.
Claremont (yes, Cali, but my sister lives there)

Counseling
Seton Hall
Fairleigh Dickinson (PhD Clinical)
Pace (PsyD)

You must take the GRE again, 1120 is pretty low. Also, I have never heard that schools will be more lenient with GRE scores from older candidates, and, 27 is not old.

Looking at balanced programs., here are my stats:
3.28 undergrad gpa
153 verbal 157 quantitative (500/690)
2 years undergrad research experience spread throughout three labs
2 years post bac paid RA position
1 manuscript (4th author), 2 in prep hopefully submitted in time
3 posters, 2 first author
2 glowing letters, one solid one

Thinking of retaking the GRE. Other than that, how do I look?

GPA is a tad low, what's the Psych GPA, and what do your last 2 years look like?

Hello to everyone and thanks for all the great advice I've gathered so far from this forum! So I'm a bit of a outlier when it comes to applying to graduate school as I recently worked in retail until the ripe age of 31. Brain and cognition had always caught my interest, thus I decided to go back to college. So at the age of 35 going on 36, I thought I'd join the circus (i.e. application season) and hopefully receive a reality check of my chances. Thanks!

Stats:

Undergraduate GPA: 3.96 (Cornell University)
Psych GPA: 4.0
GRE: Going to take next month
Psych GRE: Next month

Experience:
1 years research assistant looking at Hippocampus/Retrosplenial cortex in a rat model (early stage dementia zone of interest)
2 year research assistant looking at language and dementia
1.5 year research assistant looking at aging/Alzheimer's using fMRI and EEG
1 year volunteering at dementia retirement community

Papers/Presentations/Awards:
3 summer internships/ stipend awards (Howard Hughes Biomedical @ Stony Brook, Cornell Biology Summer Research for under represented minorities, Summer Stipend)
Poster at Cognitive Neuroscience Society 2014
3 papers in prep (hopefully out by Dec 1st, two are 2nd author, one is first)
About to do a small stint at MGH (Harvard med) to analyze MRI's

Schools:
Clinical Neuropsychology/Cognitive Neuroscience PhD’s

University of San Diego/SDSU
U of Arizona
U of Florida
UNC
U of Georgia
UC Berkley
USC
U of Texas @Austin
U of South Florida
Northwestern

Letters of Recommendation:

All 3 are going to be excellent. One of them will be from a mentor who worked on the admissions committee for University of Minnesota clinical psychology program during the 80's, with another being a fellow non-traditional student who just got tenure.

Misc:
Have taken and received graduate level credit for two courses.
Proficient in MATLAB, SPM8, EEGLAB, R
Graduate level stats