This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone!

I applied to a few different programs, but I wanted to see how many other people applied and keep track of when they start calling for interviews!

Clinical Programs:
Western Michigan University
Clark University
Eastern Michigan University
University of Texas at Austin
Alliant Los Angeles

Counseling Program:
University of Maryland, College Park

PsyD:
University of Denver
American School of Professional Psychology at Argosy, Washington, D.C.

I already got a call for an interview at Argosy, but I am one of those nervous wrecks that won't stop spazzing until I know when other schools start calling out!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a little late to this party, as I finished submitting my apps like two weeks ago, but I can't resist participating in a game :)

Applying to equal amounts of Clinical and Counseling PhD programs

Overall GPA: 3.9
Psych GPA: 3.9
Graduate in 4 days with B.S. in psychology, magna cum laude

GRE Verb: 158 (73%)
GRE Quant: 153 (52%)
GRE Analytical: 5 (93%)

2 1/2 years of research experience
2 poster presentations (first author)
1 honor's thesis (primary investigator, also created and tested the reliability of Discomfort with LGBT Presence on Campus Scale for the study) - to be submitted for publication within the next month
Master's level knowledge in Excel, SPSS, MiniTab, & Qualtrics

1 year work experience at a psychiatric and addictions hospital
1 year work experience at private addictions facility

3 strong letters of rec (2 from professors, 1 from former supervisor at psychiatric hospital)

Phi Kappa Phi inductee
Psi Chi member
APA Undergraduate Affiliate
Divisions 36, 44, 50 membership

Hey guys,

Here are my current qualifications:
I'm graduating soon with a B.S in Psychology:
3.57 GPA; 3.8 Psych GPA (there is an upward trend in my last two years)
2 years as a research assistant in 3 different labs (1 clinical)
1 year as a research assistant in an off campus lab (also clinical)
4 strong letters of recommendation (all Ph.d's)
Senior Honors Thesis related to the Cognitive Development of Children with ASD
3 Poster Presentations (first author)
1 year as an officer in Psi Chi
Experience with programs such as (SPSS, Datavyu, Qualtrics, etc...)
I haven't taken the GRE yet and I will also be taking a year off to work as a paid research assistant in a clinical psych lab

I'm just not entirely sure about what Clinical Programs are looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll start with the bad news...GRE Scores: 161 verbal (87%) 151 quantitative (44%) 5 analytical (93%). my main question here is: will my quantitative not get me past the first round? otherwise I'm potentially a strong applicant (according to my recc writers but who knows). also not on here for an ego boost, just genuinely concerned about my one score.

STRENGTHS
  • 3.76 GPA from top 30 nationally ranked school
  • 2 years research experience in 3 different labs (2 clinical 1 developmental): I was accepted to a summer research fellowship program at the Yale Child Study Center (part of Yale School of Medicine) and then I returned the next summer to work in the same lab...did 2 independent research projects there along with running professor's research studies..I also do research at my university and I did research in Israel when I studied abroad
  • graduate level knowledge in advanced structural equation modeling in Mplus
  • 4 LORs, 2 from big shot professors in child psychopathology fields, 2 from my other research advisors (Both phds)
  • working on an honors thesis
  • decent amount of clinical experience (although word on the street is no one cares)
  • well-defined research interests (LGBTQ/racial/ethnic minority related topics..that's also what I'm doing my honors thesis on) that are a good fit with my mentors
  • applied to 14 schools...3 are reaches, most are in the middle, a few are not so prestigious
  • A couple interesting extra curricular activities- when i was studying in israel i worked at an organization for Palestinian LGBTQ women
  • I have absolutely no clue if this matters but...I emailed a few of professors I am applying to work with since they didnt indicate online if they were accepting new students...all of them emailed me back with very encouraging responses...one at an ivy i applied to said he admired my mentors and that he would consider my application with interest or something like that.
  • strong statement of person (I'm a very good writer. one thing I can do)
WEAKNESSES

• GRE quant score....
  • i've done 4 posters (2 first author, one second author so idk if that counts), but 2 were for "poster sessions" at my yale child study center internships...the other I recently submitted to a national conference. I'm also working on a manuscript but will submit in a month or two
  • B in statistics...Freshman year and didn't care :(
WOW long post...hopefully someone sees this cry for help! thanks.

I guess I'll start with the bad news...GRE Scores: 161 verbal (87%) 151 quantitative (44%) 5 analytical (93%). my main question here is: will my quantitative not get me past the first round? otherwise I'm potentially a strong applicant (according to my recc writers but who knows). also not on here for an ego boost, just genuinely concerned about my one score.

STRENGTHS
  • 3.76 GPA from top 30 nationally ranked school
  • 2 years research experience in 3 different labs (2 clinical 1 developmental): I was accepted to a summer research fellowship program at the Yale Child Study Center (part of Yale School of Medicine) and then I returned the next summer to work in the same lab...did 2 independent research projects there along with running professor's research studies..I also do research at my university and I did research in Israel when I studied abroad
  • graduate level knowledge in advanced structural equation modeling in Mplus
  • 4 LORs, 2 from big shot professors in child psychopathology fields, 2 from my other research advisors (Both phds)
  • working on an honors thesis
  • decent amount of clinical experience (although word on the street is no one cares)
  • well-defined research interests (LGBTQ/racial/ethnic minority related topics..that's also what I'm doing my honors thesis on) that are a good fit with my mentors
  • applied to 14 schools...3 are reaches, most are in the middle, a few are not so prestigious
  • A couple interesting extra curricular activities- when i was studying in israel i worked at an organization for Palestinian LGBTQ women
  • I have absolutely no clue if this matters but...I emailed a few of professors I am applying to work with since they didnt indicate online if they were accepting new students...all of them emailed me back with very encouraging responses...one at an ivy i applied to said he admired my mentors and that he would consider my application with interest or something like that.
  • strong statement of person (I'm a very good writer. one thing I can do)
WEAKNESSES

• GRE quant score....
  • i've done 4 posters (2 first author, one second author so idk if that counts), but 2 were for "poster sessions" at my yale child study center internships...the other I recently submitted to a national conference. I'm also working on a manuscript but will submit in a month or two
  • B in statistics...Freshman year and didn't care :(
WOW long post...hopefully someone sees this cry for help! thanks.

I think that your chances are great. The best thing you did and hopefully others applying did as well, is apply to a range of sites (safetys, moderate, and strong reaches). This will most likely guarantee you interviews and spots. Did you meet the minimum for the GRE scores to the sites you applied? If so, your background, research, clinical time, etc. make you a perfect candidate. I've sat through 3 interviewing panels with my PhD program and I'd say you would rank highly, as long as you are personable and connect well with other applicants during interviewing. Other than that, on paper -- looks good to me. No worries, just try and enjoy the process and build patience while you wait. :) Hang in there!

Hi everyone. I'm currently a junior, but will officially be a senior this coming spring semester. I will be graduating next fall 2015. I just wanted to get your guys' opinion/thoughts on where I stand in terms of acceptance.

I'm interested in getting into a purely health psychology track program. Clinical programs with health focus also interest me, but I was thinking that these programs might be harder to get into since they're clinical programs compared to just the health programs.

These are the schools so far that I am considering that have purely health programs...
- CUNY
- Rutger's University (I know this probably would be the most competitive since it's also a top school for clinical)
- SUNY Stony Brook (Similar thoughts as Rutgers)
- University of British Columbia (They require a Masters degree which is weird since US schools don't really)
- University of Pittsburgh

For clinical psychology programs with health emphasis...
- Syracuse University
- University of Utah

I still have to consider my faculty match and all the other aspects I would like to get an idea of where I stand with regards to my academic standing. I still have a year of undergraduate studies.

B.A. in psychology, minor in English & Philippine Language & Literature
Cumulative GPA: 3.66 (as of right now but will try to get it to at least 3.7)
Major GPA: 3.36 (as of right now, will try to get to 3.5)
Doing honors research (or just undergraduate research with no honors distinction, still have to speak to people about that, currently don't meet the 3.5 GPA requirement set by the psychology department, but meet the actual GPA requirement to do honors by the honors program at 3.0)
Will definitely have a poster and possibly 3 presentations at conferences by the time I graduate.
Will apply for funding through UROP and other places.
Will have 1 1/2 undergraduate research assistant experience with 3 different psychology labs (and maybe as a lab manager or something if I decide to take 1 year off after college to get more RA experience)

I still also have to still take the GRE.

Hi everyone. I'm currently a junior, but will officially be a senior this coming spring semester. I will be graduating next fall 2015. I just wanted to get your guys' opinion/thoughts on where I stand in terms of acceptance.

I'm interested in getting into a purely health psychology track program. Clinical programs with health focus also interest me, but I was thinking that these programs might be harder to get into since they're clinical programs compared to just the health programs.

These are the schools so far that I am considering that have purely health programs...
- CUNY
- Rutger's University (I know this probably would be the most competitive since it's also a top school for clinical)
- SUNY Stony Brook (Similar thoughts as Rutgers)
- University of British Columbia (They require a Masters degree which is weird since US schools don't really)
- University of Pittsburgh

For clinical psychology programs with health emphasis...
- Syracuse University
- University of Utah

I still have to consider my faculty match and all the other aspects I would like to get an idea of where I stand with regards to my academic standing. I still have a year of undergraduate studies.

B.A. in psychology, minor in English & Philippine Language & Literature
Cumulative GPA: 3.66 (as of right now but will try to get it to at least 3.7)
Major GPA: 3.36 (as of right now, will try to get to 3.5)
Doing honors research (or just undergraduate research with no honors distinction, still have to speak to people about that, currently don't meet the 3.5 GPA requirement set by the psychology department, but meet the actual GPA requirement to do honors by the honors program at 3.0)
Will definitely have a poster and possibly 3 presentations at conferences by the time I graduate.
Will apply for funding through UROP and other places.
Will have 1 1/2 undergraduate research assistant experience with 3 different psychology labs (and maybe as a lab manager or something if I decide to take 1 year off after college to get more RA experience)

I still also have to still take the GRE.

To comment on UBC - in Canada, when you apply for PhD programs you apply to the masters program if you don't already have a masters degree. They expect that you will then stay to complete your phd as well. Canada doesn't really do terminal masters.

Hey everyone! I'm doing the waiting game right now to hear back for interviews, so I just wanted to get feedback on my chances to relieve some anxiety hopefully. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.97
GRE: V - 157, Q - 167, A - 4
Subject Psychology GRE: 700
3 Research Labs, 2 posters (one of which as first author, other as second author)
RA experience
Clinical experience working at a crisis center as a phone volunteer
3 strong letters of recommendation

Schools to which I applied:

PhD in Clinical Psychology:
SUNY Albany
Boston University
Drexel University
Fairleigh Dickinson University
George Mason University
University of Kentucky
UNC Chapel Hill
Ohio State University
Temple University

PhD in Counseling Psychology:
University of Florida

PsyD in Clinical Psychology:
Marywood University
Nova Southeastern University
Rutgers University
Long Island University

Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling:
Plymouth State University

Thank you all so much for your help and input!

Last edited:
so here's the deal: I am a Canadian student, go to what is often referred to as one of the best universities in the country. I am graduating with 2 degrees, major in biology, honours specialization in psychology. However, my biology marks were fairly low giving me an overall GPA of only 3.3...but my final year is 4.0 and all psych classes 3.7...

GRE
v- 161
q- 155
a - 4.5

Research experience: volunteered in a lab for 6 months, it was animal research though... did an honors thesis project
1 full year as clinical work

applied to:
UofL
Purdue - havent heard anything yet :(
OSU - havent heard anything yet :(
Syracuse
Wisconsin-Madison
Idaho State

soooo who's brave enough to tell me I don't have a chance? lol I think I know the answer but as I am anxiously awaiting feedback would be appreciated!

Hey everyone! I'm doing the waiting game right now to hear back for interviews, so I just wanted to get feedback on my chances to relieve some anxiety hopefully. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.97
GRE: V - 157, Q - 167, A - 4
Subject Psychology GRE: 700
3 Research Labs, 2 posters (one of which as first author, other as second author)
RA experience
Clinical experience working at a crisis center as a phone volunteer
3 strong letters of recommendation

Schools to which I applied:

PhD in Clinical Psychology:
SUNY Albany
Boston University
Drexel University
Fairleigh Dickinson University
George Mason University
University of Kentucky
UNC Chapel Hill
Ohio State University
Temple University

PhD in Counseling Psychology:
University of Florida

PsyD in Clinical Psychology:
Marywood University
Nova Southeastern University
Rutgers University
Long Island University

Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling:
Plymouth State University

Thank you all so much for your help and input!

honestly it sounds awesome to me...you blow my stats out of the water! If you have a solid match between your interests and your POI's (and you could convey that in your statement) I bet you'll get some interviews coming your way!

I think that your chances are great. The best thing you did and hopefully others applying did as well, is apply to a range of sites (safetys, moderate, and strong reaches). This will most likely guarantee you interviews and spots. Did you meet the minimum for the GRE scores to the sites you applied? If so, your background, research, clinical time, etc. make you a perfect candidate. I've sat through 3 interviewing panels with my PhD program and I'd say you would rank highly, as long as you are personable and connect well with other applicants during interviewing. Other than that, on paper -- looks good to me. No worries, just try and enjoy the process and build patience while you wait. :) Hang in there!
Thanks for your encouraging and helpful response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on my chances for PhD in Clinical Psychology and MA programs in Psychology.

• B.S. in Psychology with Minor in Anthropology from a state school
  • 3.2 GPA all together (3.5 upper division GPA and 3.6 for Psych GPA)
  • 3 years RA for one professor and 2 years with two other professors
  • 1 textbook chapter publication as first student author
  • 2 contributions to manuscripts but not listed
  • 4 poster publications at WPA
  • 1 year volunteer experience with a DV shelter and 2 years volunteer experience as a sexual assault counselor
  • 2 years as full time staff with a crisis center doing case management, prevention work, research with a school based program
Will my experience help make up for my lower GPA? I applied to the following PhD Programs:

Nevada, Reno
UCSB
UCLA
Boston U
Arizona State University
San Diego Joint Doctoral
Palo Alto

I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you and good luck to those of you applying! :)

You are correct to be mindful of the importance of research experience. The PhD is a research-focused degree, and thus experience and evidence of potential for success is necessary for a successful application. I would encourage you to attempt to gain some experience as soon as possible, and you may want to see if you can gain acceptance ot a research lab in the Spring, rather than waiting until the summer.

Is there a good reason you are so committed to beginning directly out of undergrad? Unfortunately I am not sure you will have the time to gather high quality experience by the time you would be applying. Most applications will be due mid-late fall, giving you no more than the summer and early part of the fall to gain experience, which is not often enough time to gain a quality experience. While exposure to the research process is great, it is often the experiences that take time which will both be the most beneficial and show the experience you gained, such as being involved in a conference poster or presentation, or eventually a publication of work. Also considering other parts of the application, a professor will not be able to write the strongest letter after just a couple months of observing your work.

While its certainly not impossible to gain good experience in a short amount of time, clinical psychology PhD programs are highly competitive and it is likely many other applicants will have multiple years of experience.

Hi, it's me, again. Some things have changed since I last posted.

For a final paper in one of my classes, I researched the genetic component of Alzheimer's disease. My professor found it so impressive that she asked if I would like to combine it with a paper she's working on and try to get published this summer. Needless to say, I am overjoyed! Finally a research opportunity!

I am also enrolled in internship prep next semester where I will set up a an internship for next fall.

So here's the real question. With a publication, one clinical internship, a 3.8 GPA, honors thesis, Psi Chi membership, Alpha Lambda Delta membership, Honors program membership, and a solid GRE score, do I have any chances of getting into a PhD program straight out of undergrad?

My reason for wanting to go straight out of undergrad is that the timing feels right. I am single, 20 years old, with few responsibilities. I know these programs require time and effort and I am in the point in my life where I can devote myself to my studies.

Right now, my top school is Suffolk Univeristy. There are professors looking for students interested in depression and anxiety (which I am). It is my dream to go there!

I am aware my experience is minimal, but I have a passion for psychology and I'm an excellent student. Not to mention, I write really well! I received 100 as my final grade in Research Methods and I do well in all of my labs for my bio minor.

What are my chances?

Hi all,

I'm a neurscience and psychology double major with and ethics minor at a private liberal arts college. I have a 3.6 and improving GPA with a 3.7 in major in our honors program. I've done independent research with my faculty advisor and am presenting at MPA this spring as a junior. I'm a member of Psi Chi, was Psych Club president and involved in a lot of other stuff. I've worked for our department as a TA and rat lab tech for all 3 years. I took the GRE this past week and got a 155 Quant and 157 Verbal.

The main schools I'm looking at are:
Iowa-interdisciplinary neuroscience
UC Boulder
WashUs PNP program
UCSD
Northwestern- Feinberg Clinical Psych

And I'm struggling to find programs I'm more clearly qualified for, can anyone help me know what my odds are or know schools who are in my range?

Hi any and everyone who will take the time to respond. Just to get the stats out of the way:

Undergrad School: Florida International University
Undergrad GPA: 3.71
Major/Minor: Psychology
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE:148V, 151Q, 5.5W
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

- 2 years legal psychology lab in 3 major studies with 5+ diff positions
- 2 school years in special education with school systems
- 1 year case work with military

Applied: Adler University (PsyD), DePaul (MS General Psych), Roosevelt University (MA Clinical Psych)
Accepted: n/a, still waiting to hear back
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Okay, NOW for the questions:
1. What is the average GRE of applicants accepted into any of the 3 programs mentioned? I feel that the rest of my application is strong(ish), but the GRE score stands out. Also, it should be noted that Roosevelt did not require a GRE, nor LOR, and will not require an interview so I am unsure as to how my undergraduate history will fare by a mere glance.
2. If you were accepted in previous years, would you mind ballparking your stats?
3. For those that have interviewed, what are some common questions? I have researched and found "common" ones but it would be nice to hear firsthand from someone who has been on the receiving end.
4. Any other tips or pointers are greatly appreciated!

Why not continue working in your lab and improve your GRE score? Then, apply to funded programs next cycle. Save yourself the money!

Why not continue working in your lab and improve your GRE score? Then, apply to funded programs next cycle. Save yourself the money!

Thanks for your response. When I read other forums, I see that the advice is to attend graduate school and prove handling the coursework + gain experience and re-apply, but that has not been the general consensus I have received on my posts. Which is slightly puzzling.

I do eventually want to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology (I'm specifically interested in neuropsychology), BUT I don't think that a MA/MS would hurt me? I have seen others told (and would imagine) it would be beneficial. Hypothetically, I could attain my MA/MS, and find a job that I absolutely love, and no longer want to pursue a PhD? One can dream. Maybe I should also disclose that I could be okay with paying for a MA/MS because I had a scholarship and was able to gain my undergraduate degree without debt.

Also, I was working in the laboratory. I have since moved (somewhat new to the area) and have not found a solid place to volunteer or work at as of yet. That's another line on my long list of endeavors...

I hear what you are saying re: a Masters degree, and it certainly wouldn't hurt you...However, I would argue that proving that you can handle graduate coursework is probably the least important factor when applying. I did not have a Masters; instead, I chose to focus on gaining as much research experience as I could prior to applying (side note, I also had to do a number of undergraduate prereqs, which made finding a lab a lot easier).

And, you absolutely could find a gig with a MA/MS that you love...With that being said, I think it is important to ask yourself why you want to pursue a Ph.D.?? If your goal is to conduct therapy only, I wouldn't advise the doctoral route. However, it seems that you are into neuro, which likely means that you are interested in conducting neuropsychological assessments. In that case, a Ph.D. is the way to go. Truthfully, I do not know what can be done with neuropsych at the Masters level, but I know that others can probably speak to that on this forum (I'm not a neuro-gal).

If they don't list it, there's probably a pretty good reason. One that should make you wary.
At DePaul University and Roosevelt? I would like to think at least DePaul is a reputable school. It's so crazy that 15 years ago we didn't have to worry about which schools were credible and which weren't. It's a disappointing time.

I hear what you are saying re: a Masters degree, and it certainly wouldn't hurt you...However, I would argue that proving that you can handle graduate coursework is probably the least important factor when applying. I did not have a Masters; instead, I chose to focus on gaining as much research experience as I could prior to applying (side note, I also had to do a number of undergraduate prereqs, which made finding a lab a lot easier).

And, you absolutely could find a gig with a MA/MS that you love...With that being said, I think it is important to ask yourself why you want to pursue a Ph.D.?? If your goal is to conduct therapy only, I wouldn't advise the doctoral route. However, it seems that you are into neuro, which likely means that you are interested in conducting neuropsychological assessments. In that case, a Ph.D. is the way to go. Truthfully, I do not know what can be done with neuropsych at the Masters level, but I know that others can probably speak to that on this forum (I'm not a neuro-gal).

I am not real into counseling.. But that would be a last resort with a MA/MS. I love research, and the art of assessment and diagnosis, which is why a PhD would be my eventual goal. Thank you for your input, as well. It's appreciated!

I'm finally caving :oops:

Random:
Texas A&M University
Just graduated in December 2014
BA Psychology, minor in Neuroscience
GPA: 3.76
Honors: University Honors, Foundation honors, Psychology honors, Magna Cum Laude
Honor Societies: Psi Chi, Phi Eta Sigma
Other organizations: Psychology Club, Freshman Leadership Organization, Sophomore Leadership Organization, Crisis Hotline
GRE: V-159, Q-160, W-4.0:(

Research:
1 Semester in a Cognitive lab my sophomore year
1 year in a Clinical lab my junior/senior year
-started a project with one of the graduate students last semester that is still in progress (working on manuscripts)
1 year in a Clinical/Neuroscience lab my junior/senior year (concurrent with previous lab)
-appointed as "project manager" last semester
1 semester in a graduate level Psychology & Law course in which I worked on a case law survey, presented poster last November at conference (third author)
*Just joined another research team (last week) in the Parks & Rec department studying how rural youth view social justice (my research interests surround how minority statuses affect mental health)

Clinical:
1 year as a resident assistant my freshman/sophomore year
1 semester "internship" at local mental health facility shadowing a counselor
600+ hours working at a university crisis hotline, also a trainer
3 months working as a mental health technician at a new psychiatric hospital (no longer work there)

Letters of Rec came from both of the clinical professors whose labs I was working in at the time, as well as the supervisor of the crisis hotline I was working on.

I haven't heard a word from any of the programs I applied to (in no particular order):
Duke
Vanderbilt
University of Texas-Austin
University of Houston
SMU
University of Washington
University of Denver
Arizona State University
UNC-Chapel Hill
Stony Brook
University of Southern California

I received my bachelor's in Psychology from the University of Utah in 2012

GPA: 3.71

I earned A's in stats and research methods.

Research experience: 2 years as an undergrad, no publications, but I ran a research project under the supervision of my major professor as an undergrad

I have good letters of recommendation, but probably not "outstanding"... one from the head professor in my lab, another from the director of advising in the psychology department and a third from a close friend who is a practitioner.

GRE 306 VERB:157 (74%) QUANT:149 (37%) WRIA-2.5 (7%) (pretty poor.. I know)

I am most interested in a funded Counseling PhD or PsyD program that integrates a religious or theistic approach. I understand that I may not be competitive enough to get into PhD programs directly, so I thought perhaps a school that offers a Master's degree in Counseling where i'll be more likely to be accepted and then I can apply to get into the PhD program while I'm there.

My backup plan is to stay here in Dallas and earn a masters degree as a working professional, get into the field, and then hope to earn a PhD someday down the road.

Any advice? Thoughts?

Hi everyone! I was hoping you all could help me plan for my application to be submitted fall of 2015

Basic:
Top 10 university - graduated May 2014
BS Neuroscience, Minor Arabic
cum GPA: 3.3 ; psychGPA: 3.5 ; upper division GPA: 3.8
GRE: V-162, Q-162, W-4.5

Research:
2 summers in a behavioral neuroscience lab for PTSD and fear learning - only mentioned in acknowledgements
1 semester in cognitive neuroscience lab for PTSD
1 year of working in a research group for child mental health interventions - global health, social ecological
(current) 2 years in a psychiatry lab on two projects: 1) child maltreatment 2) adolescent substance use and brain development

- my child maltreatment project was also my independent study throughout my senior year. The paper was recently submitted, so I hope it should be published by then :) - first author, no other student authors (my PIs and supervisors are the other authors). I had complete control over my paper - topic, variables of interest, method of data analysis, etc.

- adolescent substance use project I mostly participate in the data collection phase such as clinical interviewing and neurocognitive testing

- once child maltreatment paper is completely published, my PI said I could start analyzing other datasets they have for the opportunity of a 2nd first author paper

So total 1, maybe 2 publications first author
1 other publication that is not psychology related, but a basic qualitative global health paper I am last author of (not very much significant work)

Clinical:
volunteered at a VA hospice for a semester
basic clinical interviewing skills from current job

Letters of Rec - one from current PI who was also my independent study instructor (glowing), one from past PI at the behavioral neuro lab (knew me well and big name - strong), one from arabic professor who I took many courses with (glowing/strong), one from faculty mentor of organization I was on exec for 3 years in undergrad (glowing/strong)

Schools I'm considering: I want to do something trauma, violence, or anxiety disorder based
UT Austin, SDSU/UCSD, Boston University, TC Columbia, Georgia State, Fordham, UPenn, Northern Illinois, U Illinois at Chicago, Loyola Chicago

Where am I at now in terms of competitiveness? What can I do to become more competitive?

Hello Everyone,

I am beginning the process of looking at PhD/Psy.D programs in the States and have a few questions. This May I'll be finishing my Master of Arts in Counseling, Psychotherapy and Spirituality at the University of Ottawa. My projected GPA should be around 3.86, and I'll have graduated with around 500 clinical hours. These clinical hours have come from an internship at the Ottawa Rape Crisis Center and through my university's counseling program.

My question is, as part of my program we were required to complete a major research paper based course in which I received a B for the class. As PhD and PsyD programs are obviously researched base will this low mark hamper my prospects of being admitted into one of these programs? If so, would admissions staff look favorably on retaking this research class or one of similar nature and receiving a higher mark? The class was not reflective of my writing/research capabilities as I was dealing with the shooting of my cousin during the time period.

I have yet to take the GRE's yet.

Any information gleaned from your experiences would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

I am currently a junior at university, and I am planning on going into Clinical Child Psychology. I have a major in Psych and a minor in Health Systems Management, which is hospital management and was planning on working in a hospital either during or before graduate school. I will be applying to MHA, PSY.D/PH.D or MA in Counseling programs.

I want to just gauge my options here because I know for a fact that my GPA isn't the strongest. I'd just like feedback on if I should focus on working out of college and then applying to clinical programs after? Personal problems freshman year and then I was Pre-med before doing my Psych major which didn't help my GPA at all. Lots of C-'s, C's, and B's, until Chem destroyed my sophomore year GPA. Switched to Psych and HSM and I've been on an upward trend since, but it's not a competitive GPA.

2.6 cum and 2.97 psych gpa. This fall semester should raise both to 2.9 cum and 3.0 major.

I have two years of research experience where I have worked in the same lab in visual cognition with an amazing professor who would be willing to write a letter of rec. I have also worked at numerous child care jobs, along with shadowing social workers at an alternative school.

I am good at speaking and such, and know I have to do well on the GRE. I worked in a school and did a job at a summer camp for hands-on child experience. I was wondering what I should start looking into to strengthen my application as I would really like to practice hands-on clinical psychology, like seeing patients and such. I'd also like to know if it would just be better for me to apply to MA counseling programs. What are the limitations with an MA?

I hate myself for only recently figuring this out, but after planning on attending medical school for soooooo long, I've realized that I would rather pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology (with a neuropsychology concentration). Because I was focused mostly on the pre-med track, I think that I may not be good enough for PhD program standards. I would like to apply in 2015 for admission in 2016, but based on my experience/stats, should I postpone applying for 1 year to bolster my resume? Just to clarify, I'm 22, so I suppose I still have time to wait.

Academics:
- Graduated in May 2014 from a top-50 university with a B.A. in psychology and biology
- Undergrad GPA: 3.52, Psych GPA: 3.81
- Currently pursuing a Master in Public Health (epidemiology concentration) and have taken a lot of coursework in statistics and research methodology
- Grad GPA: 4.00

Test scores:
- GRE: 166V/159Q/4.5W (I've been told by some that my quantitative score is kinda low. Should I retake it?)

Research experience:
- 2 years working in a behavioral health lab studying the effect of CPT on sexual risk behaviors and trauma symptoms

Publications: NONE, which I think is what's going to destroy any chance I have of getting into a program. But I'm currently working on a systematic review/meta-analysis, and I might be able to get that published. Also, I presented a research study proposal at a conference in 2013, but that's probably not going to be relevant.

Last edited:
Hello, first time poster. I graduated 2011 from Saint Cloud State University, Minnesota. I earned a 3.47 cumulative and a 3.73 major. My first two years in college I almost dropped out. I was on academic probation at one point. I think I had a 2.75 starting my junior year. Then I decided to improve my GPA. Earned a 4.0 on an 18 credit semester, just for ****s and giggles to see if I could do it. Since I've graduated, I've worked about 60 hour weeks in group homes. I've worked with Prader-Willi Syndrome, Huntington's, Autism, OCD, MR, and Brain Trauma. I joined the USAF ANG when I was in college to help pay for the cost of tuition. I was a C-130H Engine Mechanic. I've deployed into Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Puerto Rico, and have had the opportunity to go to Greece, Scotland, and Romania. I am a veteran, honorably discharged. Even though I make about $45,000, I've decided to find something more career-ish, hence the thought into a graduate program (plus my older brother goes to Stanford's PHD Sociology Program, so there might be a bit of competitive nature in me to top his eventual salary)

I am going to try and become a Clinical Psychologist for the Air Force. With my background, I think I'd be a strong candidate. However I hear the Clinical Programs are extremely competitive. I am currently studying for the GRE, but I doubt I will score very high. I think if I pulled off a 150 Verbal/145 Q that would be good for me. I can get solid letters of reference from my employers. I am wondering what sort of a shot I'd have at getting into a funded program. I'd be willing to go anywhere in the U.S., including Alaska, as well as apply for many programs...as long as they are funded.

Hello, first time poster. I graduated 2011 from Saint Cloud State University, Minnesota. I earned a 3.47 cumulative and a 3.73 major. My first two years in college I almost dropped out. I was on academic probation at one point. I think I had a 2.75 starting my junior year. Then I decided to improve my GPA. Earned a 4.0 on an 18 credit semester, just for ****s and giggles to see if I could do it. Since I've graduated, I've worked about 60 hour weeks in group homes. I've worked with Prader-Willi Syndrome, Huntington's, Autism, OCD, MR, and Brain Trauma. I joined the USAF ANG when I was in college to help pay for the cost of tuition. I was a C-130H Engine Mechanic. I've deployed into Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Puerto Rico, and have had the opportunity to go to Greece, Scotland, and Romania. I am a veteran, honorably discharged. Even though I make about $45,000, I've decided to find something more career-ish, hence the thought into a graduate program (plus my older brother goes to Stanford's PHD Sociology Program, so there might be a bit of competitive nature in me to top his eventual salary)

I am going to try and become a Clinical Psychologist for the Air Force. With my background, I think I'd be a strong candidate. However I hear the Clinical Programs are extremely competitive. I am currently studying for the GRE, but I doubt I will score very high. I think if I pulled off a 150 Verbal/145 Q that would be good for me. I can get solid letters of reference from my employers. I am wondering what sort of a shot I'd have at getting into a funded program. I'd be willing to go anywhere in the U.S., including Alaska, as well as apply for many programs...as long as they are funded.

Mod Note: Merged this into the WAMC thread.

Your service history will certainly help re: the Air Force psychologist route, so that's working in your favor. The geographical flexibility is key as well. And a 3.47 GPA, while not superhero-esque, isn't likely to get your application automatically tossed from very many places.

From what you've said, the main difficulties you'll run into will potentially be the GRE and the lack fo research experience (with the latter being of particular importance for PhD programs). If you can somehow find a way to work even part-part-time in a research lab as a volunteer (or full-time as actual employment, although you'll likely take a pay cut) for a year or two, that will significantly improve your chances. While the group home experiences are great, in general, prior clinical experience isn't valued nearly as highly as research experience, GPA, GRE, or letters of rec.

Mod Note: Merged this into the WAMC thread.

Your service history will certainly help re: the Air Force psychologist route, so that's working in your favor. The geographical flexibility is key as well. And a 3.47 GPA, while not superhero-esque, isn't likely to get your application automatically tossed from very many places.

From what you've said, the main difficulties you'll run into will potentially be the GRE and the lack fo research experience (with the latter being of particular importance for PhD programs). If you can somehow find a way to work even part-part-time in a research lab as a volunteer (or full-time as actual employment, although you'll likely take a pay cut) for a year or two, that will significantly improve your chances. While the group home experiences are great, in general, prior clinical experience isn't valued nearly as highly as research experience, GPA, GRE, or letters of rec.

Agreed on all points. My undergrad GPA was almost a full .10 below yours, but there was just cause for that and what I've found is that it's very important to compensate for that in objectively-measured ways. That's ranged from everything from illustrating that it's only the first year of my undergrad (as a music major) that's really bringing down my GPA, to gaining research experience as much as possible, to getting into a good, respected (i.e., not known for grade inflation) Master's program and getting a 4.0 there, along with some namedrop-worthy affiliations via that Master's program.

I could go on and on, but I merely wanted to tell you what I wish someone had told me--knowing that your GPA is not representative of your actual ability level is not enough. Neither is hoping someone else will look at your other qualifications enough to realize that. Fair or not, you've got to go above and beyond to provide evidence that makes that GPA look out of place, rather than the other way around.

You can also get a PhD in counseling psychology to become a psychologist in the Air Force. Counseling programs can be a little less competitive than clinical programs. I know plenty of psychologists with a counseling degree who are serving in all branches of the armed forces, but particularly the Air Force. Look for programs that have a history of supporting this path. Also, maybe consider getting a Master's degree before applying to PhD programs to get more experience.

Thank you for your service!

I appreciate all of your responses. I am so lost. I have no idea what I want to get into. That's been the story of my life for the last 6 years. But, at 26 and working 65 hour weeks just to hit $45,000, I'm just going to pick a field before it becomes too late. Over the last few weeks, I've considered a few different options:

(1) I could become a School Psychologist. Get summer vacations, holidays, weekends off...and make about $45,000/year starting. I could continue working the jobs I have now while commuting to a graduate school. It would take about 4 years (3 years part-time study + 1 year intern) and it would cost about $30,000. I'm in Minnesota, so there's enough jobs around the Midwest area where I think I could find one relatively quick after finishing school.

(2) I could get a Master's in Social Work. Eventually become a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker. Practice psychotherapy at the VA with people experiencing PTSD, anxiety, depression, etc..Make about $65,000 working about 40 hour weeks throughout the year. But in order to do that, I'd have to meet all the licensing requirements to go from a LGSW to a LICSW and that could take a lot of time and money to make that happen.

(3) I could try and build a resume for a funded PHD program by earning a Master's in Clinical Psychology. Get a bunch of research experience, earn a solid GPA, and then hopefully get into a funded program somewhere. Instead of having to do 4 years, maybe get credit for 1 year from the 2 years of Graduate School. It would cost about $25,000 and take about 2 years of graduate training, then 3 years of PHD, plus 1 year internship. So in 6 years, I could apply for a clinical psychology position with the Air Force. Make about $90,000 starting.

(4) I could try and apply to a funded PHD counseling or clinical program for the Fall of 2016. With a average GRE score, a 3.43 cumulative, and no research experience...I don't think those chances are very good. I could apply to the Clinical Psychology Program in Alaska. Don't even need to send a GRE score to them. They emphasize a rural/community approach, so I could come up with a nice looking letter of intent pretending to align my interests with them, then upon graduation in 5 years, apply for a clinical psychologist position with the Air Force. Or send out 100 applications all over the USA to programs that I feel like would align with a military clinical psychologist.

(5) I could go to a non-funded PHD program for clinical psychology, like Argosy. Graduate in 5 years with about $140,000 in debt. Have a 25% chance of getting an APA accredited internship.

I really have no idea. Option 5 is the only one I can eliminate at the moment.

Being 26 and looking to go back to graduate school is still completely normal. It is the exception for someone to enter into a clinical/counseling doctoral program directly from undergraduate training. There are people who go into the field after working a decade (often more) in another profession. If you want to serve in the military than there is some restriction on age, but it is still quite doable. For example, the Army's age window is 21-42, and the other branches should be around that too.

Having an MS going into a clinical psychology Ph.D. program may shave off 2-4 classes, but that is at best a semester of time saved. Counseling psychology programs often require an MA/MS to apply, which may impact years to completion; I know far less about counseling programs so definitely ask around. Average graduation times for most quality clinical psychology programs (classes + dissertation + internship) will be at least 5 years, though 6 is more realistic. There is also at least a year of post-doc, depending on your area of practice.

GRE: 155 V/ 150Q, 5.5 AW
UNDERGRADUATE GPA: 3.39,
Major English; Minors: Philosophy, Psychology, Italian

GRADUATE GPA: 3.75

RESEARCH:

2+ years, top 3 research university
16 mos researching for 3 different professors at my grad school, 2nd author on a project that will be submitted for publish in 2016.
developing an independent thesis currently (starting summer '15)
5 months undergraduate in animal research. (took whatever research I could get b/c I tacked on a psych minor in my senior year of undergrad)

TA:
1 semester of TA experience

CLINICAL WORK:
2 years 8 mos (substance abuse populations, severely mentally ill)
Will obtain my LG next year once I graduate.

POSTERS/PRESENTATIONS:
2 so far.

INDEP STUDY: 1 graduate course in continental/psychoanalytic philosophy

Hey, all. Caveat, I'm retaking the GRE and so far on practice tests I've been scoring much better on both sections. Expecting to retake my GREs in the fall, but I'm not the best at standardized tests taker. One problem I have is that I'm looking into philosophical psychology programs that are ideally psychoanalytic/humanistic in nature. Still, I'm not sure my coursework/clinical work speaks for me atm because most of my research is behavioral (kind of tough to find someone who does qual, humanistic research at the master's level). Anyway, I'm looking to apply to DOCTORAL CLINICAL OR COUNSELING PSYCH PROGRAMS next fall '15. I'm looking into schools like Rutgers (PsyD), GW (PsyD), Duquesne (PhD), CUNY (PhD), Fordham (PhD), UAustin (PhD Counseling), NYU (PhD Counseling), UCL (Msc Theoretical Psychoanalysis). Am I aiming too high? Any other program recommendations? I know I need to raise my GREs, but other than that what else can I do? Also, I withdrew from an advanced graduate course in quantitative stats II because I wasn't doing so well/don't see myself doing quantitative stats (prefer qualitative). I also switched tracks in my program, though I'm considering making up the class next year. Also planning on taking graduate qualitative stats. Is that 'W' on my transcript going to hurt my chances? Thanks

Last edited:
How easy is it to get into the Clinical Psyd Program at Nova Southeastern University (NSU)? Would I have a chance if I graduated with an overall GPA of 3.4, a Psych GPA of 3.0, very high GRE scores, and a lot of involvement?

Also, what is the difference between going to a school that offers a track in child psychology and a school that does not offer it? I want to hopefully become a child psychologist in a school setting or private practice. Would it make a big difference if I went to a school that does not offer it? I have other choices, but NSU is my #1 dream graduate school.

Thank you

What makes this your "dream school," exactly? It will put you 150-200k in the the hole with only a 50%chance of obtaining an accredited internship.

Reactions: 1 users
How easy is it to get into the Clinical Psyd Program at Nova Southeastern University (NSU)? Would I have a chance if I graduated with an overall GPA of 3.4, a Psych GPA of 3.0, very high GRE scores, and a lot of involvement?

Also, what is the difference between going to a school that offers a track in child psychology and a school that does not offer it? I want to hopefully become a child psychologist in a school setting or private practice. Would it make a big difference if I went to a school that does not offer it? I have other choices, but NSU is my #1 dream graduate school.

Thank you
I would think having a B average in psych is unusual for applicants for a doctorate in psychology. I don't know if any doctoral program is easy to get into, but the more you pay and the lower the reputation, then the easier it is. Once you get in to a program, then the really hard work begins, especially if you are in a school that has a low match rate for internship. The dream school for most is one that pays you to attend (not just for financial reasons either) and that is what a future psychologist should aim for.

Thank you

Mod Note: Merged this thread (and its replies) into the WAMC sticky.

Thank you

Anecdotal, but my program doesn't offer a child track and the child people at my program tend to get great internships. Most of them seem to have advisors who are child psychologists, their research was related to children, and they had practica experience working with children. So, no, I don't think a formal child track is necessary as long as the program offers good experiences.

What makes this your "dream school," exactly? It will put you 150-200k in the the hole with only a 50%chance of obtaining an accredited internship.

I like how it's on an undergrad campus. Almost all the faculty and staff are child oriented. I have already identified some potential faculty members to work with. I feel this is a great school to go to for a Psyd. I looked at how many students they accept, and they accept a lot of people compared to other schools.

And this "feeling" is based on what data/metric?

Is that good? If yes, good for who?

Well, I would say good for me because it does not seem so competitive. I also really do like the warm weather as well. You have to take into consideration the weather as well as the program. It looks like a good program in a very nice city with warm weather.

Well, I would say good for me because it does not seem so competitive. I also really do like the warm weather as well. You have to take into consideration the weather as well as the program. It looks like a good program in a very nice city with warm weather.

I'm also worried I won't get anywhere because of my GPA. Another school I am considering is Midwestern in Phoenix.