This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey now. :mad:

I think TTU students are pretty happy with a fully-funded program with great research experience; being the only game in town for pracs in psycho-oncology and internal medicine, hospitals, assessment; very handsome professors; and in a place with super low cost of living. And a great rec pool.

But I suppose beaches are reason enough to toss that for six figure debt.

TTU is an awesome school! Lubbock is small though. I've considered applying to TTU. Not sure if I will or not.

Members don't see this ad.

TTU is an awesome school! Lubbock is small though. I've considered applying to TTU. Not sure if I will or not.

Population 239,538. Sounds like more than enough people to me.

Again, there is nothing about a "mega city" that is going to benefit your training in clinical psychology, so I don't understand your perseveration on this issue?

I would also consider cost of living. These bigger cities sound great on paper but you'd be pretty poor the entire time and not able to enjoy it much. I went to grad school in a smaller town in a very, very, very cold part of the country. Which wasn't super fun, but the cost of living was quite low and I got through loan-free (also my program was funded). Now I'm in a lovely metropolitan area with beautiful weather for internship and despite how nice that is, money is pretty tight so I can't enjoy it to the extent that I'd like. I saw WisNeuro say somewhere else on this board that this field involves a lot of delayed gratification and I could not agree more. Even if you get into a grad program in a fantastic location, you'll likely have to move for internship, anyway. Why not go to a fully-funded program, even if the location isn't perfect, save money, and try to move to that perfect location for internship/post-doc/jobs?

Edit: I'm technically still in grad school so past tense doesn't fit the best, but I'm no longer living in the area... ah, internship year is confusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently an undergraduate junior at Rutgers University and I would like to pursue a PhD immediately after graduation. So here are my qualifications:

- My overall GPA: 3.6
- My Psychology major GPA: 3.9
- I haven't taken the GRE yet (I will be taking it this summer)
- I have been assisting a reputable distinguished professor with a couple of his research projects since my sophomore year until present.
- I have applied to do my Honor's thesis next year and have already gotten accepted. I will be doing a presentation for it in the end of my senior year (This presentation will be AFTER I apply to graduate school however).
- I volunteer as an undergraduate TA for a clinical psychology professor.
- I will be getting recommendation letters from my research professor and the professor that I TA for (I also took 2 classes with her and received A's in both of them) as well as another professor that I took a class with.
- I do not have any internships/fieldwork/extra curricular activities/publications.

Do I have any chance at all? At top schools like Yale or at Mid-level schools like Rutgers?

I am currently an undergraduate junior at Rutgers University and I would like to pursue a PhD immediately after graduation. So here are my qualifications:

- I have been assisting a reputable distinguished professor with a couple of his research projects since my sophomore year until present.
- I have applied to do my Honor's thesis next year and have already gotten accepted. I will be doing a presentation for it in the end of my senior year (This presentation will be AFTER I apply to graduate school however).
- I will be getting recommendation letters from my research professor and the professor that I TA for (I also took 2 classes with her and received A's in both of them) as well as another professor that I took a class with.
- I do not have any internships/fieldwork/extra curricular activities/publications.

Do I have any chance at all? At top schools like Yale or at Mid-level schools like Rutgers?

Mod Note: Merged into the What Are My Chances (WAMC) sticky.

I would also consider cost of living. These bigger cities sound great on paper but you'd be pretty poor the entire time and not able to enjoy it much. I went to grad school in a smaller town in a very, very, very cold part of the country. Which wasn't super fun, but the cost of living was quite low and I got through loan-free (also my program was funded). Now I'm in a lovely metropolitan area with beautiful weather for internship and despite how nice that is, money is pretty tight so I can't enjoy it to the extent that I'd like. I saw WisNeuro say somewhere else on this board that this field involves a lot of delayed gratification and I could not agree more. Even if you get into a grad program in a fantastic location, you'll likely have to move for internship, anyway. Why not go to a fully-funded program, even if the location isn't perfect, save money, and try to move to that perfect location for internship/post-doc/jobs?

Edit: I'm technically still in grad school so past tense doesn't fit the best, but I'm no longer living in the area... ah, internship year is confusing.

I would love to go to grad school. I did change my list again. Clinical Psychology is not really my thing ya know. Counseling is more of my thing. So now I want to apply to 4 PhDs in Counseling, 3 Clinical Psyds because they do focus on the counseling portion and delivering services, and 8 Masters in Counseling.

However, reality is starting to hit me that I screwed up my undergrad very bad the first 2 years and that my chances of even getting into a masters are very slim. If anything, I would say I only have a 12% chance of getting into a Masters, 1% chance of a PhD, and a 3% chance of a Psych. D. I'm also starting to think a Masters might be better for me. Overall, I just want to go to grad school. I probably might even have the lowest academic record with a lot of research experience. Idk if I can get in with that.

I would love to go to grad school. I did change my list again. Clinical Psychology is not really my thing ya know. Counseling is more of my thing. So now I want to apply to 4 PhDs in Counseling, 3 Clinical Psyds because they do focus on the counseling portion and delivering services, and 8 Masters in Counseling.

However, reality is starting to hit me that I screwed up my undergrad very bad the first 2 years and that my chances of even getting into a masters are very slim. If anything, I would say I only have a 12% chance of getting into a Masters, 1% chance of a PhD, and a 3% chance of a Psych. D. I'm also starting to think a Masters might be better for me. Overall, I just want to go to grad school. I probably might even have the lowest academic record with a lot of research experience. Idk if I can get in with that.

There is very little functional difference between a clinical phd and counseling psych phd

If your concern is about learning to deliver clinical services, just about.

At this point, I'm willing to do anything to go to a grad program outside of where I live. I'm willing to literally do anything to even get into a Masters Program outside of my entire region, even if it's paying them money. I just don't want to live at home for several more years because of my GPA. As of now, I am getting more involved and I plan to score extra high on the GRE. Even if it's not a PhD or a Psy.D, a masters is still good. They only look to see if you have above a 3.0 in the last 2 years when applying to a masters. I might have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)

Assuming you do well enough on the GREs and have a good fit with the prospective faculty, I'd certainly say you have a chance, yes. Without posters/publications, you may not be quite as competitive at some of the top-tier research-oriented programs (e.g., Yale, UCLA), but I'd say it's at least worth applying there. Although as you've mentioned, I'd also apply to a variety of "mid-level" schools, which is what I'd recommend for pretty much anyone.

At this point, I'm willing to do anything to go to a grad program outside of where I live.

1. Why? Seriously. Why? Please answer this question. I'm not asking for me. I'm asking for you. All you have really articulated is that you want to move out of your parents home. If that's the case. I would recommend having an actual income.

2. This is not a good sign. Programs don't want "desperate" applicants. They want qualified ones. Program that one desperate applicant cost 3 times your yearly salary and give you a coin flip of actually being successful and well trained. They feed on it. You want to play into that? Why?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for answering. Also, the research that I am doing is in health psychology but I am planning to apply to clinical psychology programs. Will that be a problem?

At this point, I'm willing to do anything to go to a grad program outside of where I live. I'm willing to literally do anything to even get into a Masters Program outside of my entire region, even if it's paying them money. I just don't want to live at home for several more years because of my GPA. As of now, I am getting more involved and I plan to score extra high on the GRE. Even if it's not a PhD or a Psy.D, a masters is still good. They only look to see if you have above a 3.0 in the last 2 years when applying to a masters. I might have a chance.
I think erg923 made good points, but they might be worth repeating. You seem to substantially under-estimate your career goals as the vital driving factors in choice. There are major commitment and career differences between masters and PhD- things I wouldn't think you should take lightly just to get away. Just seems as though there are a lot of better ways to get away from home than trying to seek out an expensive career training that may/may not be what you actually want when you remove environmental influences. Ask yourself why do I want a graduate degree, what type of graduate degree do I //NEED// to do what I want, etc. If the answer is that much foced on getting away from home- Don't do it. at all.

There is very little functional difference between a clinical phd and counseling psych phd
Agreed entirely- A fact that confuses me when you look at how some APPIC sites restrict application from one or the other outright. that confusion is not for this thread.

Miami...if all of this is just because you want to move away from home...why not just do that? You are acting as though a graduate program is the only way to move away. Why not go work somewhere else for a little while? It would give you time to sort out your thoughts/feelings, work in the field, figure out what you want to do and an appropriate way to do it. You said you have plenty of research experience...talk to your faculty and see if they can connect you to colleagues with grants in other parts of the country.

Miami...if all of this is just because you want to move away from home...why not just do that? You are acting as though a graduate program is the only way to move away. Why not go work somewhere else for a little while? It would give you time to sort out your thoughts/feelings, work in the field, figure out what you want to do and an appropriate way to do it. You said you have plenty of research experience...talk to your faculty and see if they can connect you to colleagues with grants in other parts of the country.

Yes, I am really wanting to move out of my city. It's really bad where I live, probably one of the worst cities in America to live in. I am just so desperate to get out. And also, I want to go to grad school because you can't really do anything with a B.S. in Psychology. If I were an Engineering major, maybe I can do something with just a Bachelors. I also want to get licensed eventually and get into the therapy practice. It's like all my friends are all going to grad school and moving out either next Fall or the Fall after and I'm worried I'll be the only one stuck in this city where entertainment does not exist.

However, I did not know you can take a grant and so research and still move out. I may look into that if grad school does not work out.

There is not one legitimate reason in that response to support pursuing a doctorate in psychology. There are literally thousands of different types of jobs you can get with a BA/BS. If you got into a program, you'd probably be miserable because of the workload and lack of free time.

I have no idea how the workload is like, but from what I heard, you don't have exams anymore and you only have papers. I hate exams because I am no where near a test taker like all of my peers who have a 3.9 sadly. I have severe test anxiety and I forget what I study. That is probably one good thing about grad school is that there are no more exams, unless someone told me wrong.

There are definitely exams. I don't know anyone who hasn't had fairly brutal exams in grad school.

I'm skeptical now. Either you are trolling us, or are just very woefully misinformed about many aspects of what graduate training consists of.

Reactions: 1 user
There are definitely exams. I don't know anyone who hasn't had fairly brutal exams in grad school.

I'm skeptical now. Either you are trolling us, or are just very woefully misinformed about many aspects of what graduate training consists of.

I'm not trolling. I'm just uninformed. I was told wrong information the entire time :( How hard are the exams in grad school? I was so woefully misinformed about this whole grad school thing.

I'm not trolling. I'm just uninformed. I was told wrong information the entire time :( How hard are the exams in grad school? I was so woefully misinformed about this whole grad school thing.

How hard are the exams?! Is this a serious question?

Look son, get your butt off sdn and start exploring your options. If you want to move out of your parents basement, get a job like most everyone else does. This field is not for you at this time. If you insist on further discussion, please make another thread so that other WAMC individual dont get lost amongst this discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

I need your advice on something: I was wondering if it would be possible to get a recommendation letter from a professor that I will have during the same semester when I will be applying to graduate school. I will have a class called "Honor's research seminar" and it will be a small class so the professor will be able to observe my work more closely than in any class that I have had so far. However, the course will start in September and I will need to ask for the recommendation letter in November at most. Do you think this will be do-able or will it be too late?

Thank you so much for answering. Also, the research that I am doing is in health psychology but I am planning to apply to clinical psychology programs. Will that be a problem?

Health psychology is a subfield of clinical/counseling psychology as a whole, so nope, shouldn't be a problem.

How hard are the exams?! Is this a serious question?

Look son, get your butt off sdn and start exploring your options. If you want to move out of your parents basement, get a job like most everyone else does. This field is not for you at this time. If you insist on further discussion, please make another thread so that other WAMC individual dont get lost amongst this discussion.

SO much love on this thread!! :shrug:

Hi there, Miami, after reading all your posts -- and others' replies to you -- I think I might understand where you're coming from and hope that I can help a little by offering you a slightly different type of response. Here's the impression I get: you are worried about what your life will be like when undergrad ends and suddenly you find yourself in the same town, but without your friends or the structure that school provides. The end of college is a stressful and scary time for a lot of people – you’re not alone in feeling like you need to find some way – any way – to escape the bleak and uncertain future you seem to be facing in the “real world.”

Because being a student is what you’ve known/what your life has centered on up to this point, going to grad school feels like the easiest way to avoid being stuck in your hometown with no friends and nothing to do. The general concept of being-in-school is familiar to you and, from your perspective, grad school is a logical extension of what you’ve been doing since Kindergarten (that is, being in school). It’s hard to think of other options because you don’t have any sense of what they actually are. You know that other people with psych degrees go to MA or PhD/PsyD programs, but you don’t know what else psych majors do after undergrad. You’re anxious about what your life will look like after graduation, and the thought of grad school (uniquely) relieves that anxiety. As a result, grad school has become a do-or-die proposition in your mind. It feels like your only hope. Does all this seem about right?

The problem is, as many others have pointed out, you do not seem anywhere near ready for a PhD/PsyD program. Because you are so clueless about what grad school actually is, I doubt you would be accepted to any reputable program. Even if you were, there’s no way you’d benefit from being there – you’re just not ready. Grad school is a serious commitment and you won’t like it unless you’re prepared to work very, very hard. Forget about grad school for now. Here's the good news: you do not need to go to grad school to avoid being in that stuck-here, no-friends, nothing-to-do scenario you so fear. There are many other options that are so much better for you at this stage (which is not to say that you will never be ready for/able to get into grad school – you very well may, if you ultimately decide that’s what you want, but not without quite a bit of hard work and careful planning). For now, find a job in one of those “mega cities” you want to live in. If you can find a job that seems reasonably interesting to you, great, but really what you need is an income that will enable you to get by and enjoy a change of scenery. Remember that a PhD stipend is not a lot of money, so unless you can’t find anything above $20-25 thousand/year, you’ll be living larger than you would as a PhD student (and much larger than you would in an unfunded PsyD program, which would not only pay you nothing but would also sink you into a pile of debt).

A lot of people don’t have their life plan figured out when they graduate from college. You have plenty of time to work on the longterm future; for now, it seems like you need general life experience (outside of school) more than anything else. Give yourself a chance to mature, have some fun experiencing life in a “mega city” while you’re at it, and try to learn about various career paths you might want to pursue. Try not to worry that you’ll “fall behind” if you don’t get started on your ultimate career path right away; cheesy though it may be, the whole “life is a marathon, not a sprint” cliché is true.

Also, just want to clarify something for you: you misunderstood what a grant is – it’s not something you “take out” (that’s a loan). A grant is something that established researchers (people who already have advanced degrees) may be awarded based on their research proposals. You can’t get your own grant right now. The suggestion was that you see if one of your professors knows of any colleagues who might hire you as a research assistant (anyone in a position to pay you for RA work most likely has a grant that they use to fund their research).

Finally, life has a way of working itself out in the long run - you’ll be OK. Get yourself a job in one of those warm weather mega cities and go from there. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, new to the forum. About to take the GRE for the second time, and want to get into a Psy.D. program. Anxiety abounds.

This I guess would be considered a generic WAMC post. Caveat emptor: I DID search previous forums, and found someone with similar credentials about GPA and GRE with regards to the Wright Institute, but the discussion became somewhat tangential and unfocused instead becoming a discourse about differences between Ph.D. and Psy.D.

So, these are the schools I'm looking at. (I am not opposed to ANY location and would be fine going anywhere in the US. I am also not concerned about school name or prestige but prefer decent chances at APA accredited acceptance rates for internships. [Paid or unpaid, doesn't matter.]):
-University of Colorado Denver
-Wright State University
-Wright Institute
-Oklahoma State University
-University of Northern Texas
-Immaculata University (I'm Jewish So I don't know how'd they'd feel about that.)

(I was a double major at UMW. I started out Pre-Med but realized midway through my junior year it wasn't for me. After that, the upward trend of my GPA went higher. The lower scores on some science classes may explain the lower scores to a certain degree and less psych. classes in general.)
Overall GPA: 3.28
Psych. GPA: 3.33
English GPA: 3.61

-I was on the Dean's list from spring 2011 through spring 2012.
-Member of the Literary Honor's society.
-I was in the radio station from 2008-2013, dj-ing the whole time. The general manager/president from 2011-2012, treasurer from 2009-2011; 2012-2013. I also personally hand crafted the club's constitution seeing as we somehow, for years, got away with NOT having one.
-In the Hillel/Jewish Student Association from 2009-2013. treasurer from 2011-2012

GRE:
Verbal: 153
Quant.: 150
Analytical: 5.0
(Average except for the essays, I know. I took the 8-week Princeton in-class course and am now reviewing with Magoosh.)

Relevant courses: General Psych., Intro. Stats., Advanced Stats., Abnormal Psych., Foundations of Clinical Psych., Applied Counseling, Research Methods, Sensation & Perception, Psychopharmacology, Research Seminar in Developmental Psych., History of Psych., Psycholinguistics, and an Internship between a free mental health clinic and a free health clinic representing the former mental health clinic (scoring and assessing psych. evaluations and tests, interviewing, intakes, and experience with temporary detaining orders)

Work experience:
I was a Mental Health Counselor at a psychiatric hospital for 10 months. Did each shift at least once (morning, evening, overnight). Bi-daily group therapy sessions. I did the gamut there; it IS a psychiatric hospital. I also personally created a manual for new and current employees on how to do EVERYTHING for the overnight shift. Had to ensure safety in every area and maintain the therapeutic milieu. There were 5 units based on presenting psychological issues. I had decent experience working 4 out of 5 of them.
My internship was through my college's psych. major. Did that for 4 months. I had to interview people whether or not they qualified for and/or wanted therapy. They had to be below 200% poverty, no private health insurance and no medicare/medicaid.

Off topic but:
I volunteered with the Tibetan Government in Exile over in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh, India for a month-6 weeks helping Tibetan students and monks. They learned English and also critically discussed the China-Tibet tensions and political issues.

On the side: I'm a techie (I can build computers from scratch). I am a drummer and do jams here and there; lots of Jazz or whatever else. I don't know what else, just some extra skills and interests.

I know this is a TON of text, but I just want to thank you so much for taking the time to check through and maybe give me a general idea of how I may be able to come out of this. Becoming a therapist is my goal. Both my parents are/were trained as MDs in Psychiatry. One was a psychiatrist and the other a now-practicing neurologist specializing headaches. The psychiatrist majored in english, minored in philosophy, and the neurologist majored in art history.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hi everyone! I'm currently a junior in undergrad (graduating Spring 2016) and plan on applying to PhD programs in counseling psychology at:

University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign
Iowa State University
University of Florida
University of Maryland - College Park
University of Missouri - Kansas City
University of North Texas
University of Utah
University of Houston
UT-Austin
Oklahoma State University

Overall GPA: 3.96
Psych GPA: 4.0

Academics:
-I've been on the Dean's List since first semester of freshman year.
-Recipient of a $22,000 Scholarship.
-Recipient of a $2,500 Scholarship for outstanding academic performance.

GRE:

I plan on studying for the GRE this summer and taking it in early August.

Research experience:
I am currently in two labs and these will be my stats by the time I apply this Fall.
-2.5 years with one lab (10 hrs/week) Excellent LOR
-1 year in second lab more closely aligned with my graduate research interests (~6-8 hrs/week) Strong LOR

-One talk presented at a regional psychology conference as first author.
-Currently enrolled in a senior honors thesis course.
-Two posters presented (first author) for two different studies at my university's undergraduate research symposium.
^One of these posters received an outstanding award and audience favorite award.
-Received a $3,500 research fellowship to conduct my own study.
-Received an Undergraduate Travel Research Grant.

Any thoughts so far?

Last edited:
addictionz04- Great GPA and research experience. Do okay on the GRE and write a good personal statement, and you'll probably have several interviews. Nice work!

Hi there, Miami, after reading all your posts -- and others' replies to you -- I think I might understand where you're coming from and hope that I can help a little by offering you a slightly different type of response. Here's the impression I get: you are worried about what your life will be like when undergrad ends and suddenly you find yourself in the same town, but without your friends or the structure that school provides. The end of college is a stressful and scary time for a lot of people – you’re not alone in feeling like you need to find some way – any way – to escape the bleak and uncertain future you seem to be facing in the “real world.”

Because being a student is what you’ve known/what your life has centered on up to this point, going to grad school feels like the easiest way to avoid being stuck in your hometown with no friends and nothing to do. The general concept of being-in-school is familiar to you and, from your perspective, grad school is a logical extension of what you’ve been doing since Kindergarten (that is, being in school). It’s hard to think of other options because you don’t have any sense of what they actually are. You know that other people with psych degrees go to MA or PhD/PsyD programs, but you don’t know what else psych majors do after undergrad. You’re anxious about what your life will look like after graduation, and the thought of grad school (uniquely) relieves that anxiety. As a result, grad school has become a do-or-die proposition in your mind. It feels like your only hope. Does all this seem about right?

The problem is, as many others have pointed out, you do not seem anywhere near ready for a PhD/PsyD program. Because you are so clueless about what grad school actually is, I doubt you would be accepted to any reputable program. Even if you were, there’s no way you’d benefit from being there – you’re just not ready. Grad school is a serious commitment and you won’t like it unless you’re prepared to work very, very hard. Forget about grad school for now. Here's the good news: you do not need to go to grad school to avoid being in that stuck-here, no-friends, nothing-to-do scenario you so fear. There are many other options that are so much better for you at this stage (which is not to say that you will never be ready for/able to get into grad school – you very well may, if you ultimately decide that’s what you want, but not without quite a bit of hard work and careful planning). For now, find a job in one of those “mega cities” you want to live in. If you can find a job that seems reasonably interesting to you, great, but really what you need is an income that will enable you to get by and enjoy a change of scenery. Remember that a PhD stipend is not a lot of money, so unless you can’t find anything above $20-25 thousand/year, you’ll be living larger than you would as a PhD student (and much larger than you would in an unfunded PsyD program, which would not only pay you nothing but would also sink you into a pile of debt).

A lot of people don’t have their life plan figured out when they graduate from college. You have plenty of time to work on the longterm future; for now, it seems like you need general life experience (outside of school) more than anything else. Give yourself a chance to mature, have some fun experiencing life in a “mega city” while you’re at it, and try to learn about various career paths you might want to pursue. Try not to worry that you’ll “fall behind” if you don’t get started on your ultimate career path right away; cheesy though it may be, the whole “life is a marathon, not a sprint” cliché is true.

Also, just want to clarify something for you: you misunderstood what a grant is – it’s not something you “take out” (that’s a loan). A grant is something that established researchers (people who already have advanced degrees) may be awarded based on their research proposals. You can’t get your own grant right now. The suggestion was that you see if one of your professors knows of any colleagues who might hire you as a research assistant (anyone in a position to pay you for RA work most likely has a grant that they use to fund their research).

Finally, life has a way of working itself out in the long run - you’ll be OK. Get yourself a job in one of those warm weather mega cities and go from there. Best of luck!

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to rethink grad school. If anything, I might just not even apply because you are right. I am not ready. I honestly wanted to go just to get out of this ****ty city I live in. Soon, all my friends will move to mega cities and I may do the same. The only difference is that they will be going to grad programs and I won't. I don't even know what I can do with a B.S. in Psychology. I'm worried I might end up working at McDonalds or at Subway. I've heard of someone who got a degree in Fine Arts and works at McDonalds. I don't need that kind of job. What jobs can you get with a B.S. in Psychology besides working at McDonalds?

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to rethink grad school. If anything, I might just not even apply because you are right. I am not ready. I honestly wanted to go just to get out of this ****ty city I live in. Soon, all my friends will move to mega cities and I may do the same. The only difference is that they will be going to grad programs and I won't. I don't even know what I can do with a B.S. in Psychology. I'm worried I might end up working at McDonalds or at Subway. I've heard of someone who got a degree in Fine Arts and works at McDonalds. I don't need that kind of job. What jobs can you get with a B.S. in Psychology besides working at McDonalds?

People always say this, but from what I have heard, a bachelors degree of any kind can go quite a long way in certain areas. Of course, most of your options will have little do with actual psychology.

That said, there are still psych realted jobs one can do that pay above minimum wage. Research assistant/tech, psychometrist, mental health tech in psych hospital/unit, and various positions with managed care companies (claims, call center, case manaager).

Last edited:
People always say this, but from what I have heard, a bachelors degree of any kind can go quite a long way in certain areas. Of course, most of your options will have little do with the actual psychology.

That said, there are still psych realted jobs one can do that pay above minimum wage. Research assistant/tech, psychometrist, mental health tech in psych hospital/unit, and various positions with managed care companies (claims, call center, case manaager).

I'll probably have to get one of those jobs after undergrad. But one thing for sure, I'm moving to a mega city.

I'll probably have to get one of those jobs after undergrad. But one thing for sure, I'm moving to a mega city.

Yes, noise, congestion, urban crime, and air pollution is where its at!

Yes, noise, congestion, urban crime, and air pollution is where its at!

Not every city is like that though. Cities like that are Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, Atlanta, New York City, and other big cities. Phoenix does not really fall in that category, except with air pollution. Where I live, traffic is much worse than in Phoenix and it's a smaller city than Phoenix. I am looking into Miami. Crime is high, but there is not really any air pollution compared to Dallas or Houston. And you just have to stay out of the bad areas in Miami.

Not every city is like that though. Cities like that are Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, Atlanta, New York City, and other big cities. Phoenix does not really fall in that category, except with air pollution. Where I live, traffic is much worse than in Phoenix and it's a smaller city than Phoenix. I am looking into Miami. Crime is high, but there is not really any air pollution compared to Dallas or Houston. And you just have to stay out of the bad areas in Miami.

Different strokes for different folks - your ideal location might be a place erg923 can't stand and vice versa.

And who knows? Maybe you'll find that living in a major city isn't what you enjoy after all. Or maybe you'll love it and want to make it your permanent home. I think the most important thing is that you really want to try it out.

With respect to the job search, Google is your friend! You can learn a lot about what options might be available for you by searching things like "jobs with a psychology bachelor's degree." It sounds like you have another year left in undergrad(?) -- if so, you have plenty of time (ample time, really) to get a better feel for the lay of the land, so to speak, before you need to start actually applying for jobs in Miami or wherever.

Here are a few links that came up (when I put that example search term into Google), hope they help to get you started :)

What Can You Do With a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology?

Careers Options With a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology

Psychology as a Career - American Psychological Association

Careers with a Bachelor's Degree - The University of Scranton

Good luck!

Very general question. I had a SUPER low GPA for my undergraduate studies (3.0), but my post-bac was a 4.0 and I anticipate much higher grades during my current program (MPH). Will the higher graduate GPA essentially "cancel out" my horrible undergrad GPA, or should I still be concerned?

Not that it matters, but the undergrad GPA was due to physical and mental health issues, not lack of intelligence or want :(

Hi all,

I'm new to SDN and I've been impressed with the site and community so far. I'm currently looking into Psy.D programs for Fall 2016 and am looking for some input on what you guys think my chances are of getting into these schools. I'd also like some feedback on how I can improve if you have some input.

About me:
I'm currently in a MA Clinical Psychology program and I'll be graduating this summer with a 3.9. I hope to be licensed as an LPC by early Fall as I am taking the NCE next month. By the end of summer, I will have over 3 years of experience working as a Mental Health Tech in inpatient hospitals working with individuals of all ages. On top of that experience, I will have 1,000+ hours of supervised training working as a clinical intern (individual counseling, group counseling, campus outreach, etc.) at a local college. By the time I apply to programs, I hope to have an additional 6 months as a full time counselor. My GRE is not spectacular at 150/150/4.2, but I plan on retaking the GRE this summer or Fall and hopefully bringing it up a good bit. I have about 3 years of experience in undergrad working as a research assistant mostly with data management, analysis, and report writing for our lab, Susan G. Komen and on a MacArthur grant. I also did a little bit of private consulting for a professor working on her dissertation.

This my list of 10 favorite schools that I've whittled down from all APA accredited Psy.D. Clinical Psych programs. I'm particularly interested in npsych and forensics at this point.

Indiana State University,
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Pepperdine
Roosevelt
Rutgers
Spalding
University of Denver
University of Hartford
University of Indianapolis
Wright State
Xavier

Also, if anyone has any information they'd like to share on these schools in particular, I created a thread to gather more information and would greatly appreciate you sharing. Here's the link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/looking-for-info-on-these-psy-d-programs.1127457/

Thank you so much in advance.

Not necessarily. I chose these schools based on their numbers, their potential funding opportunities, and information I have found on SDN. My plan is to focus on neuro on internship. Am I missing something?

Well, to get a quality neuro internship and subsequent postdoc, you need at least some neuro foundation in graduate school. Doesn't need to be a track per se, but it needs to be a pretty solid foundation between the graduate curriculum and available externship experiences. Just something to consider.

Thanks for the info. I know Roosevelt is gaining a name for itself in neuro but beyond that, I don't know much about particular neuro focuses in these programs. I was under the impression that I'd be able to just pursue neuro internships once the time comes in any of these programs.

division 40 released some info a few years back looking at chances of obtaining a neuro internship. Things like neuro practica and having a neuro internship significantly increased chances. I have yet to see a quality app from Roosevelt for internship apps I've reviewed for neuro at several sites.

Oh wow thanks for telling that. I'm still keeping my options open and I guess I should look more into how schools will ready me for npsych placement.

No problem. People can still get internships with little npsych prep, but they are rarely quality internships. Competition is high for good sites. If someone doesn't have a npsych background in grad school, with research in the area, we tended to not even consider the application for the npsych track at several sites I've reviewed at. Read the Houston Conference guidelines and this

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed

Hello, I'm interested in applying to doctoral programs and am still really early in the process. I'm wondering about by overall chances of being considered.
Stats:
master's student in clinical psychology, 3.75 GPA and I think I can maintain it.
Undergrad Major Psychology, 3.2 GPA .
Research experience:
Last year, 4 months research assistant-ship, poster presentation at a conference.
Undergrad, 7 month senior thesis.
Recently, received a year long research assistant-ship through my practicum placement and the supervisor promised I would be able to published.
Also, I joined another research assistant-ship for someones dissertation in my school's PsyD program. I expect it to be around 4 months.

Clinical experience:
I accepted a offer for a 1000 hour 12 month practicum.
I volunteer for one of the crisis intervention counseling services.
Spent 6 months assisting children's group therapy in undergrad.

GRE:
Verbal 163, Quantitative, 147 Analytic, 3.5 From 2012
I plan on retaking and take a GRE prep class to hopefully raise the Quantitative. It looks like I would need 5 more point quantitative and a 4.5 Analytic.

I want a clinical career not academic but I'm read all the advice about PHDs. Therefore, I'm going to apply to both PhD's and PsyD.
Programs:
Roosevelt PsyD.
Loyola PsyD.
Depaul PhD
Rosalind Franklin PhD.
NIU PhD
UIC PhD
UIUC PhD

Back up Plan:
Adler University PsyD.
Chicago School of Professional Psychology PsyD.

I think my best chances are the first 5. I can't seem to find admission statistics or internship placement rates for Adler. Are they worth it?

No problem. People can still get internships with little npsych prep, but they are rarely quality internships. Competition is high for good sites. If someone doesn't have a npsych background in grad school, with research in the area, we tended to not even consider the application for the npsych track at several sites I've reviewed at. Read the Houston Conference guidelines and this

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13854046.2012.727871?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed

Ouch. I'll definitely start paying closer attention to this and thanks for the resources!

MOD NOTE: We are now going to have one thread for all of the inquiries for competitiveness, what are my chances, do I have a shot, can I get into ABC University, etc. Most of the other SDN forums have found success with having one thread, so we are going to adopt that going forward.

1. Please post your WAMC questions in here ONLY, as any outside thread will be combined with this one.

2. Do not make additional threads to ask about competitiveness for specific schools.

-t4c

I applied this year for several Clinical PhD programs and did not receive an offer at my top schools. Although I am incredibly disappointed, I am planning on applying again next year, and am planning on using this year to become a more competitive candidate. I am debating whether I should retake my GRE's, and would love it if you have any insight. Here are my scores:

Verbal 165
Quant 158
Written 5

I know the final decision is not made by GREs, but I want to make sure they are high enough to make the initial cut. I would hate to go to all the work to apply again to have them not even see my application because it gets eliminated due to my GREs. My other concern is that my verbal is high enough that I'm worried if I took it again, I might drop that score even if I increased my quant. Let me know if any of you have any thoughts, or know in general where they do the score cut-offs. Thanks so much!

Hello Everyone

I have a 3.7 GPA from an MS Counselor Education program, I have done research for 3 years (with this past year with no research), I have worked full time as a therapist and completed two internships. I also have experience working with a nonprofit organization as a case manager for two years. i have presented three posters at three difference Counseling Conferences. I am currently working on an individual research project and trying to attain my former advisor/professor as my mentor. I worked for the former FPA president and have experience with the MMPI-2 , MCMI-III, Conners, and multiple other psychological tests. For my undergraduate degree I started in business and became ill, later having chemotherapy my second to last year of college. I still was able to do research, however, my final GPA was a 2.45. I went ahead and did the masters program to prove I am worthy of a clinical program. I am taking my GRE in June and volunteering as a research assistant to a summer program. My main focus would be pediatric psychology when I get into a clinical psych program. What are my chances of being accepted? What are my chances of applying to a competitive school? Such as Columbia or UCLA? Is there anything else i can do to strengthen my application? Thank you