This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it would be really helpful if folks asking questions about GRE included the percentile scores with the standard scores. For folks like me in AMC's who don't have to review GREs often, it helps ;)
Oops! The percentiles were 95th (verbal), 71st (math), and 93rd (written). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Oops! The percentiles were 95th (verbal), 71st (math), and 93rd (written). Thanks!

These are very good scores and easily meet the cutoffs for all the programs I've seen. Obviously you always have the option to retake, and with enough studying you could potentially bring the quantitative score up a bit, but I don't know if it would be worth the time and expense. I'd say you're probably better off focusing on other ways of strengthening your application (more research/clinical experience, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My main focus would be pediatric psychology when I get into a clinical psych program. What are my chances of being accepted? What are my chances of applying to a competitive school? Such as Columbia or UCLA? Is there anything else i can do to strengthen my application? Thank you

Why are you considering Columbia or UCLA competitive programs for pediatric psychology? Personally, I have not met very many people from those doctoral programs within the pediatric psychology field. I would suggest focusing on strong PhD programs where faculty are conducting research in pediatric psychology. There are many great PhD programs that get individuals into top pediatric psychology internships and post-docs that maybe don't have as much name recognition to the general public as Columbia or UCLA.

I think your GRE score will be important given your challenges in undergrad. You will also want to write a strong personal statement that includes an explanation for your undergrad GPA without giving TMI. Your masters GPA will probably help too. Do you have any experience in pediatric psychology research? That would definitely help boost your application too if you plan to apply to work with a professor within that interest area.

Like he said, the GRE is fine for a majority of reputable programs. I'd not worry about that and shore up other areas of your application.
Great, thanks for the feedback. I'd just hate for my application to not even get reviewed by my POI because of a GRE score, so although it would be a hassle in terms of the wasted time and money, if you think there' s a chance that it would prevent my application from making the first cut, I'd try to retake it. I agree though, that improving my application in other areas is most important.

Hi everyone,

I am interested in UC Berkeley's School Psychology Program. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in psychology from UC Berkeley. After graduation, I have worked as a behavior interventionist and provided therapy for autistic children. Currently, I am interviewing for jobs to provide behavior intervention services to children with learning disabilities in school districts. In addition, I worked in a research lab at Berkeley for a semester.

Knowing that admission to UC Berkeley is competitive, I am concerned whether or not my qualifications match the program. My overall GPA (including community college coursework) is around 3.6, and my UC Berkeley GPA is 3.38. I have not taken the GRE yet.

What do you think my chances are for admission to UC Berkeley? Do you have any recommendation of how I can improve my application?

Hi everyone,

I am interested in UC Berkeley's School Psychology Program. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in psychology from UC Berkeley. After graduation, I have worked as a behavior interventionist and provided therapy for autistic children. Currently, I am interviewing for jobs to provide behavior intervention services to children with learning disabilities in school districts. In addition, I worked in a research lab at Berkeley for a semester.

Knowing that admission to UC Berkeley is competitive, I am concerned whether or not my qualifications match the program. My overall GPA (including community college coursework) is around 3.6, and my UC Berkeley GPA is 3.38. I have not taken the GRE yet.

What do you think my chances are for admission to UC Berkeley? Do you have any recommendation of how I can improve my application?

I recommend that you apply to more programs, and avoid geographic restriction at this point in the process. School psychology programs in general are competitive, and applying to 8 or so programs will greatly increase your chance of acceptance.

I recommend that you apply to more programs, and avoid geographic restriction at this point in the process. School psychology programs in general are competitive, and applying to 8 or so programs will greatly increase your chance of acceptance.

http://www.nasponline.org/certification/NASPapproved.aspx

Here is a list of NASP approved programs. I'd find a few that interest you in terms of places you think you might want to live and then check their stats out here - http://www.nasponline.org/graduate-education/grad-edu.aspx

Once you find some good programs check out their website and see if they look like a good fit in terms of financial aid, faculty, etc.

If you want more info feel free to PM me. I graduate from a MS Ed./CAS program in SP in just over a month and I'm starting a doctoral program in SP in August. I'd study hard (I used the vocabulary flashcards and a test book with practice tests and studied for at least an hour a night) and do your best to nail the GRE. Other than that I would say do your best to continue to accrue relevant experience - get some more research experience and/or, try to find a non-profit or other organization that specializes in working with a relevant special population (e.g. autism, conduct disorders, etc.). Based on what you said you'd probably be a reasonably competitive candidate at many programs, especially if you were going for the CAS/Ed. S. (different names for the same thing) and not the PhD.

But what do you think of my chances in general? Is it likely that they would call me for an interview since I dont have a lot of research experience?

But what do you think of my chances in general? Is it likely that they would call me for an interview since I dont have a lot of research experience?

No one can answer this. In general, though, I think the "chances" of any one candidate (even with good GPA, GRE and experience) getting into any one program is quite low. That's not to say it won't happen--But there's lots of factors beyond your control here. Apply widely, or have a strong back-up plan.

No one can answer this. In general, though, I think the "chances" of any one candidate (even with good GPA, GRE and experience) getting into any one program is quite low. That's not to say it won't happen--But there's lots of factors beyond your control here. Apply widely, or have a strong back-up plan.

How many schools count as applying widely?

How many schools count as applying widely?

I applied to 6, which worked out well for me - two rejections, four interview offers (one of which I actually had to turn down, a situation I never expected) and two acceptances. Many people apply to more though. I've seen people apply to as many as 12 or 13, though that's got to end up costing over a grand once you factor in the GRE scores at $29 a pop and app fees between $50 and $100. I would say apply to as many as is financially feasible for you.

I applied to 6, which worked out well for me - two rejections, four interview offers (one of which I actually had to turn down, a situation I never expected) and two acceptances. Many people apply to more though. I've seen people apply to as many as 12 or 13, though that's got to end up costing over a grand once you factor in the GRE scores at $29 a pop and app fees between $50 and $100. I would say apply to as many as is financially feasible for you.
…that are also a good to solid research match. Applying to programs that aren't a good fit is akin to lighting the application fee on fire. Some/Many programs can waive fees for applicants applying w. limited means. It's been forever since I applied, but this is worth asking about or at least considering when you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok So here we go. I'm new here. I have been reading the "Advice from Prof for Applicants to PhD Programs" thread for about a week. I'm a Junior from Puerto Rico and will be graduating on May 2016. I want to get into a balanced PhD program that is funded. If is not funded I rather stay in PR and enter one of the 2 APA approved we have here and save the money of living abroad. Right now I'm in the Carlos Albizu University in San Juan. They also have one in Miami. It is not a very "respected" university but at least is APA approved.
Here is my "resume":
- GPA will end up being 3.40-3.50 (3.75 PSYC)
- Haven't taken the GRE yet. But I'm usually very good in those types of tests (we'll see about that).
- 1 year research experience (I'm planning on starting this coming months)
- I'm working right now on a proposal on Chapter I and II. But I will probably won't do III and IV.
- I have taken a lot of Psyc electives (Forensic, Aging, Neuropsyc, etc.)
I'm planning on applying to 10 PhD programs plus the 2 we have here. (Carlos Albizu University and Ponce School of Medicine)
My question is: How realistic is for me to actually get on a funded US program If I get a good GRE score? I know is really difficult. But, do I have a 0.1% of making it or do I have a 0% chance?
I have no problem with English and I could go anywhere in the US (Miami, Cali, Seattle or Maine) as long as I find a good match. I know I don't have a lot of info but hopefully you guys can help a little bit.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
…that are also a good to solid research match. Applying to programs that aren't a good fit is akin to lighting the application fee on fire.

Well, yes, hence why I said to investigate the faculty of programs in my earlier post. But I suppose it does bear repeating.

I'm very confused about the competitiveness of clinical phd. programs, I feel like my stats are solid when i look at admission stats but somehow it doesn't seem like i have a chance in hell of getting in when i look at the acceptance rates. can anyone give me a little advice? undergrad in abnormal psychology from a well respected school, 3.76 GPA, GRE 620 verbal, 720 math, 4 writing ( i know not great). 1 year working as a RA in undergrad, my name is on a article if it ever gets finished, i've been working as a youth counselor since graduating. focused on trauma in undergrad looking to specialize in complex trauma/dissociative disorders. Not sure if a psyd or phd would be more appropriate, i like research but ultimately want to be a clinician. any advice is welcome!
It is very competitive, but your GPA and GRE scores are solid. When it comes to PhD, they care more about how much your interest matches with the professor's research. I really recommend this book, it gives you a lot of insight: Insider's guide to graduate programs in clinical and counseling psychology

Thought i would give it a try.
Less than stellar GRE scores but I don't know if I can go through that again (spent all summer last year studying and it cost me a lot of time and money). I plan to apply for developmental programs or drug behavioral research program.

Education: BA, Psychology (minor in sociology) with Honors
Scores:
GPA:
3.94 overall, 4.0 Psychology
GRE: 158 V (78th percentile); 154 Q (57th percentile); 5.0 writing (93rd percentile)

Research Experience:
  • 5.5 years research experience
    -2 years working in a social development lab [research assistant] (hands on experience working with children and honors thesis)
    -1.5 years working in an adolescent substance use lab [Lab coordinator and current job]
    -4 years working in a behavioral genetics lab [research assistant]
    -1 semester working in a social cognition lab [research assistant]
Publications:
  • I am 5th and 6th author on 3 publications published in a top tier journal (impact factor 14.98)
Presentations:
Honors Thesis (including a defense and poster presentation

Other Experience:

1 year: Helped with an autism camp
1 year: crisis problem response team on campus
1 year: Mental health awareness group on campus
LORs:
3 Very good letters from tenured professors who are very respected in their field each from a different lab.

Let me know what you guys think. As I said before I feel the only thing going against me is my GRE scores. They are not horrible but they are not great either. I would much rather focus on my job and research than put money and time into studying for the GRE again.

Thought i would give it a try.
Less than stellar GRE scores but I don't know if I can go through that again (spent all summer last year studying and it cost me a lot of time and money). I plan to apply for developmental programs or drug behavioral research program.

Education: BA, Psychology (minor in sociology) with Honors
Scores:
GPA:
3.94 overall, 4.0 Psychology
GRE: 158 V (78th percentile); 154 Q (57th percentile); 5.0 writing (93rd percentile)

Research Experience:
  • 5.5 years research experience
    -2 years working in a social development lab [research assistant] (hands on experience working with children and honors thesis)
    -1.5 years working in an adolescent substance use lab [Lab coordinator and current job]
    -4 years working in a behavioral genetics lab [research assistant]
    -1 semester working in a social cognition lab [research assistant]
Publications:
  • I am 5th and 6th author on 3 publications published in a top tier journal (impact factor 14.98)
Presentations:
Honors Thesis (including a defense and poster presentation

Other Experience:

1 year: Helped with an autism camp
1 year: crisis problem response team on campus
1 year: Mental health awareness group on campus
LORs:
3 Very good letters from tenured professors who are very respected in their field each from a different lab.

Let me know what you guys think. As I said before I feel the only thing going against me is my GRE scores. They are not horrible but they are not great either. I would much rather focus on my job and research than put money and time into studying for the GRE again.
I think you have a solid application, I dont think schools will turn away an applicant based on one criteria. Plus your GPA is very competitive and u have lots of research experience.

This is a very general question -- my GPA is 3.63 from Middlebury (I majored in Psych -- I think my Psych GPA is around 3.7) and in 2012 I got a 169 Verbal GRE (99th percentile), 160 Quantitative GRE (81st percentile), and a 5.0 on analytical writing (92nd percentile). But I didn't do a thesis, and I don't have any research experience. I did take a course in stats and research methods. What can I do in order to have a competitive PsyD (or PhD, may as well ask) application for the Fall 2016 period? Would the lack of research kill me at this point? I'm working full time as an AmeriCorps VISTA member from now until Feb. 2016, but maybe I could get some clinical volunteer hours in.

This is a very general question -- my GPA is 3.63 from Middlebury (I majored in Psych -- I think my Psych GPA is around 3.7) and in 2012 I got a 169 Verbal GRE (99th percentile), 160 Quantitative GRE (81st percentile), and a 5.0 on analytical writing (92nd percentile). But I didn't do a thesis, and I don't have any research experience. I did take a course in stats and research methods. What can I do in order to have a competitive PsyD (or PhD, may as well ask) application for the Fall 2016 period? Would the lack of research kill me at this point? I'm working full time as an AmeriCorps VISTA member from now until Feb. 2016, but maybe I could get some clinical volunteer hours in.

From what I've read the general consensus around here is that two years of research experience is pretty much the bare minimum for a good (e.g. APA accredited, funded) clinical psych program. With no research experience it's going to be a tough sell this cycle, I imagine. I would definitely try and find a lab to volunteer with ASAP if you think that may be the direction you want to go in - your GRE scores are great, but I don't think that alone will get you in the door. I'd also suggest looking into non-doctoral programs that might allow you to do similar work (e.g. LMHC, MFT, LCSW, School Psych...) - you may be able to do what you're interested in without the uphill battle of the EXTREMELY competitive process of getting into clinical psych doctoral programs.

Also make sure to get connected with AmeriCorps Alums. They can offer valuable insights into what universities offer perks for alums of the program (I'm a two time NCCC alum myself) and the best ways to use your education award as well as more general help with applying to grad schools. For example, Marist U just announced a 25% tuition scholarship for all AmeriCorps alums.

Yeah, scores are pretty good, but with 0 research experience, it will be a mighty tough sell to get into a reputable program. Clinical experience is a diminishing return at this level. Everyone has some, and it is usually pretty low level stuff. If you are applying this fall to start in Fall 2016, I'd say chances are slim for a good program. If you find something to get some research exp and apply in Fall 2016, could be doable.

Thanks for the advice. I'll need to look into volunteering at a lab. To be honest, research is not a major interest for me; perhaps that's a red flag in itself when I'm talking about applying to a PsyD program (and certainly to a PhD program). My goal would be to practice clinical psychology, perhaps in private practice.

You both discussed my chances for a good/reputable program. Needless to say, that's the kind I would want to get into! But I'm not asking for full funding or a very prestigious name; I am asking for an internship, and of course a job/path to private practice after I graduate.

Looking at some of the acceptance rates for PsyD and PhD programs felt like a cold shower. I never thought I would say this, but maybe psychiatry is the easier route to a career diagnosing and treating mental illness? I'm very torn between the two at this point.

Looking at some of the acceptance rates for PsyD and PhD programs felt like a cold shower. I never thought I would say this, but maybe psychiatry is the easier route to a career diagnosing and treating mental illness? I'm very torn between the two at this point.

Possibly. It all depends on how you would like to treat mental illness though. The two career paths will do this very differently.

That's what I've heard. And I must acknowledge that counseling and therapy is much more attractive to me than just prescribing medicine. Probably another reason why I should think very carefully before applying to medical schools.

That's what I've heard. And I must acknowledge that counseling and therapy is much more attractive to me than just prescribing medicine. Probably another reason why I should think very carefully before applying to medical schools.

Probably depends on where you are. But I've only worked in VA's and AMC's and have never seen psychiatrists doing therapy/counseling in these settings. More options in group and private practices I'm sure, but you'd probably want to talk with people about how that might be changing with the ACA.

To be honest, research is not a major interest for me; perhaps that's a red flag in itself when I'm talking about applying to a PsyD program (and certainly to a PhD program). My goal would be to practice clinical psychology, perhaps in private practice.

If your goal is to do therapy in private practice, you don't need a doctorate. You could do that as an LPC/LMHC/LCSW/LMFT. You might consider going for a master's instead. I always encourage folks considering applying to doc programs to think about what they want to do with the doctorate that they can't do with a master's. If they can't think of anything, then I tell them that going the master's route will save them a LOT of time and money. It's not worth the debt and time in school just to call yourself "Dr." and do a job you could have done years earlier.

Full disclosure: I've been accepted into an MSW and my plan for quite a while was to go into the LCSW. But then I met an amazing woman who would ultimately like to stay at home with her (future) kids. I took a second look at the income for LCSWs and got spooked. Not sure I could raise a family on a single income as a clinical social worker, even in private practice.

It's my understanding that PsyD's can't bill for much more in private practice than LCSWs. Then you also have to add in the years of lost income and all the extra debt. If you want a doctorate for the money, you may be sorely disappointed.

Hello everyone,

I am interested in getting a PhD in clinical psychology. I know that it is super competitive and that extremely qualified applicants get rejected. I didn't really know what I wanted to do and have spent 6 years in undergrad. Since I didn't want to rack up a ton of debt I spent most of that time at a community college. My cumulative GPA there was 3.5 (only one psychology class) and I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa. I am just now wrapping up my second semester at a four year university. In the two semester at my current university I have received a 3.61 GPA (all psychology classes).

I feel a little behind because I know a lot of students vying for the limited spots in these programs have done at least one thesis and have more research experience. The good news for me is, I got accepted in a research lab for next semester and will have one year of research experience. I know that matching research interest with faculty is important, so I have found about 10 programs (and looking for more) with faculty doing research that I want to do.

Do you think I have a realistic shot at getting into a program? Also I am taking the GRE this summer, what do you think I need to get to help my chances?

You're not the only student to take longer to figure out what you wanted to do =) I also ventured in a few directions before deciding Clinical Psychology was right for me. While I can't tell you what admissions committees will say I do think you're taking the right steps to improve your application. Research experience, a good GPA, taking the GRE, and research fit with faculty are all very important. Considering how competitive it is you might consider applying to a few Master's programs as well so at least you could continue developing skills and doing research if you have to reapply.

Hello everyone,

I am interested in getting a PhD in clinical psychology. I know that it is super competitive and that extremely qualified applicants get rejected. I didn't really know what I wanted to do and have spent 6 years in undergrad. Since I didn't want to rack up a ton of debt I spent most of that time at a community college. My cumulative GPA there was 3.5 (only one psychology class) and I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa. I am just now wrapping up my second semester at a four year university. In the two semester at my current university I have received a 3.61 GPA (all psychology classes).

I feel a little behind because I know a lot of students vying for the limited spots in these programs have done at least one thesis and have more research experience. The good news for me is, I got accepted in a research lab for next semester and will have one year of research experience. I know that matching research interest with faculty is important, so I have found about 10 programs (and looking for more) with faculty doing research that I want to do.

Do you think I have a realistic shot at getting into a program? Also I am taking the GRE this summer, what do you think I need to get to help my chances?

Mod Note: Merged this post into the WAMC thread

Hello,

I plan on applying to Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology with the hopes of starting Fall 2017, and I’d like some advice on my list of schools. In a perfect world, I would apply to 10-15 different programs. University-based Psy.D. programs are not out of the question, but funding is important to me.

Broadly speaking, my interests include trauma psychology, veterans of OIF/OEF (I spent six years in the military and served in OEF), how adversity in early childhood shapes adult behaviors, and anxiety disorders in general. I have related interests in public health policy, including health promotion and providing mental health services in geographically and socially isolated rural areas.

This is my current list of schools. I wanted to know if anyone has input on these programs. Also, are there other programs I should consider? I’d like to add a few more to the list.

University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
University of Oregon
Northern Illinois University
Saint Louis University
University of Utah
Boston University
University of Pennsylvania
Case Western

Here’s the long version of my story.

Grew up in rural West Virginia, then packed up and went to college. Graduated in 2005 with a double major (lit and writing) from a top 50 liberal arts college. 3.85 GPA, but no direction. Figured I’d be an artist, but realized I liked to eat and pay rent. Worked at a shipyard for a few years, then joined the military. Excelled in the military, got some direction, and voluntarily separated after six years of service so I could go back to school.

While on active duty, I took the following classes online: intro to psych I and II, developmental psych, social psych, abnormal psych, child growth and development, basic human biology, biology of nutrition, and intro to stats. Got an A in all of them.

Now that I’m back at a brick and mortar, my coursework will include quantitative methods, research methods, a clinical practicum, and advanced statistics. Throw in a handful of electives and I’ll graduate with a B.S. the Spring of 2017. I’m also pursuing a minor in public service. If I start grad school when I’d like, I’ll be 34 (!) years old.

Loosely related experience:

Spent a year as a vocational counselor for 200 enlisted service members.

Lots of informal exposure to mental health issues. I’ve referred more than one person to substance abuse treatment, responded to suicide attempts (including one 12 hour ordeal at the hospital) and one instance of homicidal ideation. All of this falls under the umbrella of supervision when you’re in the military, and my unit was a particularly troubled lot.

Right now I volunteer as a victim advocate for a program that assists people affected by domestic violence. The program has a trauma-informed approach, so it's a good fit for my interests.

Experiences I need to add:

Research. I’m currently testing the waters both at my university and the local VA to find a good match. Then hopefully cram a lot of experience into 1.5 years. The good news is I saved a lot of money before I got out of the military, so I have the luxury of committing to unpaid work if necessary.

GREs. Plan to take them spring 2016. I need to brush up on math, but I’m otherwise crushing the practice tests.

Maintain the good grade trend.

Posters? Presentations? Anything else you can think of?

Have you looked in to Tulane? They have a trauma lab and a lot of people doing research in that area across disciplines (clinical and school psychology, neurology and psychiatry). Could be a good fit.

Hello,

I plan on applying to Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology with the hopes of starting Fall 2017, and I’d like some advice on my list of schools. In a perfect world, I would apply to 10-15 different programs. University-based Psy.D. programs are not out of the question, but funding is important to me.

Broadly speaking, my interests include trauma psychology, veterans of OIF/OEF (I spent six years in the military and served in OEF), how adversity in early childhood shapes adult behaviors, and anxiety disorders in general. I have related interests in public health policy, including health promotion and providing mental health services in geographically and socially isolated rural areas.

This is my current list of schools. I wanted to know if anyone has input on these programs. Also, are there other programs I should consider? I’d like to add a few more to the list.

University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
University of Oregon
Northern Illinois University
Saint Louis University
University of Utah
Boston University
University of Pennsylvania
Case Western

Here’s the long version of my story.

Grew up in rural West Virginia, then packed up and went to college. Graduated in 2005 with a double major (lit and writing) from a top 50 liberal arts college. 3.85 GPA, but no direction. Figured I’d be an artist, but realized I liked to eat and pay rent. Worked at a shipyard for a few years, then joined the military. Excelled in the military, got some direction, and voluntarily separated after six years of service so I could go back to school.

While on active duty, I took the following classes online: intro to psych I and II, developmental psych, social psych, abnormal psych, child growth and development, basic human biology, biology of nutrition, and intro to stats. Got an A in all of them.

Now that I’m back at a brick and mortar, my coursework will include quantitative methods, research methods, a clinical practicum, and advanced statistics. Throw in a handful of electives and I’ll graduate with a B.S. the Spring of 2017. I’m also pursuing a minor in public service. If I start grad school when I’d like, I’ll be 34 (!) years old.

Loosely related experience:

Spent a year as a vocational counselor for 200 enlisted service members.

Lots of informal exposure to mental health issues. I’ve referred more than one person to substance abuse treatment, responded to suicide attempts (including one 12 hour ordeal at the hospital) and one instance of homicidal ideation. All of this falls under the umbrella of supervision when you’re in the military, and my unit was a particularly troubled lot.

Right now I volunteer as a victim advocate for a program that assists people affected by domestic violence. The program has a trauma-informed approach, so it's a good fit for my interests.

Experiences I need to add:

Research. I’m currently testing the waters both at my university and the local VA to find a good match. Then hopefully cram a lot of experience into 1.5 years. The good news is I saved a lot of money before I got out of the military, so I have the luxury of committing to unpaid work if necessary.

GREs. Plan to take them spring 2016. I need to brush up on math, but I’m otherwise crushing the practice tests.

Maintain the good grade trend.

Posters? Presentations? Anything else you can think of?[/QUOTE

PhD programs are research based, so they focus more on research than clinical experience. If you want to practice, PsyD is a better option, but I know its very expensive. Till you start your application, make sure you get tons of research experience, and maybe publications. Poster presentations are a plus too!

Thanks for the input. There are times I think I might be happier as a PsyD, but I just can't stomach the debt load. I've lived through hard times, and avoiding large amounts of student loan debt is a non-negotiable. Also, the Ph.D. is probably a better fit for my long term career goals, if slightly less attractive in the immediate terms of day-to-day curriculum.

Does applying for two specialties within the same university decrease my chances for acceptance? For example, I want to apply to both the Counseling and School Psych PhD programs at the University of Houston (both are under the College of Education). I dont think my stats are good enough for Counseling so School is kind of my safety cushion to fall back on. Will this look bad (seeming indecisive, spray and pray, etc) and hurt my chances of acceptance to both programs? :/

Thanks for the input. There are times I think I might be happier as a PsyD, but I just can't stomach the debt load. I've lived through hard times, and avoiding large amounts of student loan debt is a non-negotiable. Also, the Ph.D. is probably a better fit for my long term career goals, if slightly less attractive in the immediate terms of day-to-day curriculum.
I totally understand. The debt is significant. Keep in mind you can still practice with a PhD depending on your program. what are your long term career goals? Do you want to become a professor?

I totally understand. The debt is significant. Keep in mind you can still practice with a PhD depending on your program. what are your long term career goals? Do you want to become a professor?

Keep in mind that the majority of PhDs go on to do primarily clinical work.

I'm interested both in academia and in clinical practice at a primary healthcare location (e.g. the VA). Long term goal is to move into move into healthcare administration, such as a Chief of Staff position inside the VA's mental health services field. I think the PhD might make me a little more competitive for academic positions. A PsyD might be equally good for the other goals. The unit psychologist at my last command was relatively early in his career and had a PsyD from a professional school, and he was a great clinician who had served in supervisory roles for large parts of the area. However, he also graduated with a staggering amount of debt and joined the military (which gave him the opportunity to distinguish himself professionally, and I'm sure also had significant financial benefits). That's awesome, but I could never see myself taking on that much debt (or returning to active duty). I think I'd be pretty happy in a PhD...I just think I need to get better acquainted with research processes to make a better informed decision. So far I've just been exposed to the introductory math parts of it (stats, quantitative methods for research). Math isn't my jam, so I can't say I'm thrilled at this point, though I did get an A. I'm going to start volunteering in a research lab to get experience and see what it's really like.

Keep in mind that the majority of PhDs go on to do primarily clinical work.
Thanks for the insight. That is a little reassuring. I've been combing through schools and I see a lot of PhD programs that come right out and say they're not a good fit for people who want to practice. Trying to steer away from all that in favor of something that is more 50/50 scientist-practitioner. There are just a lot of other factors I have to take into account when considering programs (namely financial assistance and location - my husband's skills are portable, as long as we stay close to civilization, and preferably in an area with a strong defense industry).

Not exactly a wamc post but kind of. I'm looking into wheaton college in il, psy D program. Its a christian school but I'm not overly religious. Say I get an interview, how would one approach that? Does that affect my chances of getting in? I should also mention that I have my m.s. in clinical psych from eku but I'm finding il is a cacrep state, my degree is apa.

Not exactly a wamc post but kind of. I'm looking into wheaton college in il, psy D program. Its a christian school but I'm not overly religious. Say I get an interview, how would one approach that? Does that affect my chances of getting in? I should also mention that I have my m.s. in clinical psych from eku but I'm finding il is a cacrep state, my degree is apa.
I think it depends on each school. I know some christian affiliated school care about what role religion plays in your life, and some don't. Find out more about the school. Also, it is always safe to say that you see a place for spirituality and religion and some people use that as a coping mechanism and tool that would get them through hard times.

I am currently a rising senior at university, and I am planning on going into Clinical Child Psychology. I have a major in Psych and a minor in Health Systems Management, (hospital management) and was planning on working in a hospital either during or before graduate school.

I want to just gauge my options here because I know for a fact that my GPA isn't the strongest. I'd just like feedback on if I should focus on working out of college and then applying to clinical programs after? Personal problems freshman year and then I was Pre-med before doing my Psych major which didn't help my GPA at all. Lots of C-'s, C's, and B's, until Chem destroyed my sophomore year GPA. Switched to Psych and HSM and I've been on an upward trend since, but it's not a competitive GPA.

2.6 cum and 2.97 psych gpa. This semester raised both to 2.7 cum and 3.0 major.

I have two years of research experience where I have worked in the same lab in visual cognition with an amazing professor who would be willing to write a letter of rec. I am also doing research with a professor this summer in anger in children from hostile areas, along with two internships with social workers - one at DCFS and another at an alternative school. I have also worked at numerous child care jobs.
I worked in a school and did a job at a summer camp for hands-on child experience.

I'll be taking the GRE in September of this year, and am starting to study for it now.

I was wondering what I should start looking into to strengthen my application as I would really like to practice hands-on clinical psychology, like seeing patients and such. I'd also like to know if it would just be better for me to apply to MA counseling programs. What are the limitations with an MA? What kinds of salary should I be expecting? I want to know if it's better for me to pursue a MA or PH.D if what I want to do is therapy/clinical stuff. What kinds of limits am I looking at with an MA? Is it worth it to get an MA in counseling if I know I'd like to do clinical therapy later?

Please let me know!

• 3.95 Cumulative GPA, 4.0 Major (Psychology, Biology minor) FGCU
  • President's Scholarship (full tuition and fees)
  • 4 yrs as a member of Honors program
  • 1-1.5 yrs research assistant
  • Forthcoming publication (1st author) on EEG synchrony
  • Conference presentation of publication abstract (1st author) for international behavioral neuroscience society, Vancouver CA
  • Intern under PhD, concentration neuropsychology: conducted neuropsychological assessment on patients. Tests include: WAIS, DRS, GDS, CLVT, HVLTR, etc.
  • Intern under PsyD, concentration neuropsychology: conducted neuropsychological assessment on patients at community hospital using RBANS
  • Volunteer service on Neurology floor (6 mo. Hospital), physician shadowing
  • Schools (neuropsychology PhD): East Carolina, University of Florida, Nova Southeastern, University of Kentucky, Washington State, Georgia State, Louisiana State, University of Arizona, Emory, Southern Illinois, University of South Florida, Drexel or Temple
  • No GRE scores yet
  • Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

• 3.95 Cumulative GPA, 4.0 Major (Psychology, Biology minor) FGCU
  • President's Scholarship (full tuition and fees)
  • 4 yrs as a member of Honors program
  • 1-1.5 yrs research assistant
  • Forthcoming publication (1st author) on EEG synchrony
  • Conference presentation of publication abstract (1st author) for international behavioral neuroscience society, Vancouver CA
  • Intern under PhD, concentration neuropsychology: conducted neuropsychological assessment on patients. Tests include: WAIS, DRS, GDS, CLVT, HVLTR, etc.
  • Intern under PsyD, concentration neuropsychology: conducted neuropsychological assessment on patients at community hospital using RBANS
  • Volunteer service on Neurology floor (6 mo. Hospital), physician shadowing
  • Schools (neuropsychology PhD): East Carolina, University of Florida, Nova Southeastern, University of Kentucky, Washington State, Georgia State, Louisiana State, University of Arizona, Emory, Southern Illinois, University of South Florida, Drexel or Temple
  • No GRE scores yet
  • Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Very solid credentials overall. The only thing that could potentially hold you back would be the "limited" research experience, although your productivity will probably offset that to a large degree (depending on how far along the publication is), or below-average GRE scores.

I'd honestly be shocked if you didn't net at least a handful of interviews at the selected programs.