This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, but since adcoms are not granted the gift of foresight, they can only use past results as a predictor of future success. Yes, I know that's flawed, but in absentia of anything else, it is the best indicator. The issue with your GRE is not only is it below average, it is WAY below average, which does not signal high achievement to me. Sometimes, with stellar stats in the other areas, one can overlook that... but you also failed College Algebra and then got a B in it. College Algebra of all classes should be an easy A for someone who wants to do experimental psychology. You need *something* to show that your math is up to snuff. Did you get A's in advanced math classes? (Did you take any advanced math classes?!)

Also, when the professor you're applying to work under says, "Get your GRE quant score up".... well, I would get the score up. He's probably sat on some committees before and knows his stuff :)

Running simple tests in software has nothing to do with understanding the actual statistics... but I'll let that one slide. Even so, you're going to need to know enough to scrub data (bane of my existence) and how to choose proper statistics (e.g. when do i want to use a Freidman vs a McNemar, and *why*). Perhaps you already know, in which case I apologize.

When I took college algebra at the time I didn't know that I would be going into psychology and I've never been good at math regardless. I was originally a Journalism Major, so you can probably understand why I didn't think I would need high math grades/advanced math classes at the time. And, yes, I know that those scores are way below average. Why do you think I said I'm going to be retaking the test?

Did I mention that this was for a MA and not a PhD program? If i didn't i'm not sure if that would make much of a difference anyways.

For someone who recently mentioned that

I had at least one F, two D's, and a whole ton of C's - all of them in my major.

you seem very quick to tell someone that has low GRE scores, but overall a pretty decent track record, that they're practically not going to go anywhere. I'm not sure if that's what you're insinuating...but I'll let that one slide.

Members don't see this ad.

you seem very quick to tell someone that has low GRE scores, but overall a pretty decent track record, that they're practically not going to go anywhere. I'm not sure if that's what you're insinuating...but I'll let that one slide.

It may seem harsh, he's just giving you the way things work, though. Programs will weigh the GRE more heavily than GPA. GPA is highly dependent on several variables (school, major, classes, etc) while GRE is a variable that is standard across applicants, and much more related to g.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but my point is that going into experimental psychology, you NEED to get proficient at quant. Whether that's taking advanced math classes at a local college before applying, getting your GRE scores up by a ton, etc.

I'd almost say that for an MA vs a PhD, the GRE is even more important. MA programs don't look at research and fit so closely, while PhD programs do, so it's much more about the numbers and what you did in undergrad. By the time you go on to a PhD (if you choose to do so, post-MA), then your undergrad won't matter as much.

Never said you're not going to go anywhere, but I am insinuating that you need to put in a ton of work so that your application package signals that you're NOT weak in math. I took a one-year post bacc to get my grades up, took a ton of advanced math classes, and slayed my GRE. I'm not saying you won't be successful, but the truth is that lots of adcoms - with hundreds of apps to look through - will be quick to dismiss you off the bat if you have a poor track record of quant work, no matter how shining the rest of your package is.

(And if we're going to play the ad hominem game, I'll say that I went to a university notorious for grad deflation. The test averages in freshman physics were something like 55, 42, and 48... and the professor told us, "Hmm, that's a little higher than usual." Half the class failed. This was common. So as WisNeuro said, GPA is subjective based on the individual's college experience and not the best indicator vs. GRE. By the way, I've never been asked about my GPA in college interviews, but I have been asked about my GRE.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand I'm receiving a lot of mixed information. I've had people tell me that the GRE is the least weighted part of the application and then I've had others tell me that that the GRE is kind of an all or nothing deal. I'll do whatever I have to do in order to get my scores up the next time around. So i'll rephrase my original question. GRE scores aside, what are my chances?

If it weren't for the GRE scores, pretty good as long as your thesis was good. With the GRE scores in there, those chances drop a good deal. It's still very possible, just have to absolutely wow them in other areas and find some way to adequately demonstrate stats proficiency in application.

From what I understand I'm receiving a lot of mixed information. I've had people tell me that the GRE is the least weighted part of the application and then I've had others tell me that that the GRE is kind of an all or nothing deal. I'll do whatever I have to do in order to get my scores up the next time around. So i'll rephrase my original question. GRE scores aside, what are my chances?

Think of it this way. You're an adcom. You have 500 application packages to read through. You do NOT want to read 500 people's statements and LORs, no matter how glowing they are.

So what do you do? You go through and make cuts based on the obvious stuff. GPA below 3.0? Cut. GRE under 60th percentile? Cut. (These numbers are arbitrary, but you get my point). No research experience? Cut. No LOR from psych prof/PI/supervisor? Cut. So now you've whittled down 500 to 200, and then the real work begins.

So the thing is - if your GRE meets that cutoff (whatever the adcom sets), then it becomes the least important part of your app, and your statements/LORs then have to do the heavy lifting. Having a good GRE doesn't guarantee you entry, but having a bad one will get you cut fast. I would get your GRE up to at least 75th percentile if possible, and then you should have a good shot, assuming everything else looks great.

So, I took the GRE and got a 150 Quant and 155 Verbal. Although my AW scores are still pending, I'm confident it's going to be a 5 or 6. I killed it on those. I'm going to take the GRE again, but I'm wondering if as these scores stand now, what my chances are given the rest of my CV:

Master's with a 4.0 GPA (UG was more like ~3.4, but I think the 4.0 cancels that out)
Three research projects - two of which have resulted in national conference presentations, 1 will very likely be published (but not until after interviews next year)
Several solo presentations of theoretical papers at major national and international conferences
Excellent LOR's (including one from my POI)
Six years clinical experience
Several leadership positions related to local APA divisions
Teaching UG psychology courses at university

I'm applying to a few Counseling Psych programs in the northeast. One of my LOR's is also coming directly from my POI.
There's a possibility that I'm misreading the concordance tables here, but it looks like a 150 new Q GRE=630 old Q GRE, which doesn't strike mas as that much of a deal breaker at non-clinical science schools. The 155 V seems to be about a 530 equivalent, which is low, but Q matter more in my experience. Am I reading this table wrong? http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf

futureapppsy2 - I think this is actually the post we're talking about...

I just took the GRE today and I got my scores when I was finished. Wont get the writing scores for a while but here is how I did:

V - 150 (45th percentile)
Q - 145 (21st percentile)

...which translates more to a 450V and and 530Q.

If it weren't for the GRE scores, pretty good as long as your thesis was good. With the GRE scores in there, those chances drop a good deal. It's still very possible, just have to absolutely wow them in other areas and find some way to adequately demonstrate stats proficiency in application.

Thank you, WisNeuro. You were the only helpful person on this forum!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's kind of a tough love forum here. There are way too many students who don't have realistic expectations. Like thinking they'll still get to work with the top person in their field of study when they nailed down a sub 3.0 GPA, terrible GRE scores and no research exp. People tend to be blunt. People may argue about the delivery, but the info given is generally correct.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi All,

I tried this a couple months ago, without much response, so I'll try one more time :) I'm feeling very shaky on my GRE scores (151 Q, 158 V, 5 AW).

• 4.0 GPA
  • Clinical experience
  • 3 years research experience
  • 3 poster presentations at regional conferences
  • 1 publication
  • 4 LOR from very well respected researchers in the field

Appreciative of any comments!

Last edited:
Hi All,

I tried this a couple months ago, without much response, so I'll try one more time :) I'm feeling very shaky on my GRE scores (151 Q, 158 V, 5 AW), but having already retaken them without much improvement, I don't feel that doing so again would be beneficial, as I cannot afford a good tutor or test prep class (I've exhausted the use of many test prep books already!). I can make the argument that my SAT scores were comparatively as bad, and did not reflect my success in undergrad or post-grad. I suppose this type of standardized test is just not up my alley. Thoughts on my chances with these scores? Here are my other "selling points":

• 4.0 GPA, class valedictorian of a competitive private liberal arts school
  • Won outstanding senior in psychology of my undergrad class
  • 1.5 years as a group therapist in a partial hospitalization program
  • 3 years as a psychiatric research assistant at one of the top medical schools in the nation
  • 3 poster presentations at regional conferences
  • 1 presentation at NIMH
  • 1 publication in Current Psychology Reports
  • 3 LOR from very well respected researchers in the field
  • study abroad experience in West Africa

Appreciative of any comments!
Honestly. you look like you have any extremely competitive profile (congrats on the publication--what authorship order?), and I think your GPA/GRE combinationwill be high enough to get past most screens. I think you'll do quite well.

Hey all, so I have a few questions about admission into clinical psychology PhD programs (hopefully with a specialty in pediatric neuropsych) and PhD programs in Neuroscience! I am very interested in both and was wondering what my chances are on admission. I am a good test taker and will probably get a good/very good grade on the GREs, I am a certified Peer Health Educator (certified by BACHUSS) at my school (which is a top tier university) where I travel and go to conferences speaking in front of hundreds of other schools. I also am running a social psychology independent research study, I have experience in an emotion and cognition research lab and will have experience in a top neurology lab at a medical school prior to graduating as well. I may have a published article by the time I graduate as well. I had an internship at my schools counseling center and am a volunteer (almost similar to a dr shadow) in the Neurology department Boston Children's Hospital (the premier teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School). During my volunteer hours, I work with patients between the ages 3-7 one on one at bedside as well as observe Drs throughout the department. I have other volunteer experience involving children as well. My references and I have a strong relationship and are well respected professionals from top universities such as Oxford University and Harvard Medical School. I currently have a 3.2 (I know, it's really bad), but I am planning on retaking a course that would automatically boost that to a 3.3. My GPA (although appearing lower) has always been consistent in the sense that it is always above a 3.0. If I get all A's this next year and boost my GPA to above a 3.6, as well as have research experience as an assistant in a full time lab prior to applying the winter after graduation, would I have a strong chance of getting accepted? I can't picture myself in any other field and I truly adore clinical pediatric neuropsych/neuroscience.

Hey all, so I have a few questions about admission into clinical psychology PhD programs (hopefully with a specialty in pediatric neuropsych) and PhD programs in Neuroscience! I am very interested in both and was wondering what my chances are on admission. I am a good test taker and will probably get a good/very good grade on the GREs, I am a certified Peer Health Educator at my school (which is a top tier university) where I travel and go to conferences speaking in front of hundreds of other schools. I also am running a social psychology independent research study, I have experience in an emotion and cognition research lab and will have experience in a top neurology lab at a medical school prior to graduating as well. I had an internship at my schools counseling center and am a volunteer (almost similar to a dr shadow) in the Neurology department Boston Children's Hospital (the premier teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School). During my volunteer hours, I work with patients between the ages 3-7 one on one at bedside as well as observe Drs throughout the department. I have other volunteer experience involving children as well. My references and I have a strong relationship and are well respected professionals from top universities such as Oxford University and Harvard Medical School. I currently have a 3.2 (I know, it's really bad), but I am planning on retaking a course that would automatically boost that to a 3.3. My GPA (although appearing lower) has always been consistent in the sense that it is always above a 3.0. If I get all A's this next year and boost my GPA to above a 3.6, as well as have research experience as an assistant in a full time lab prior to applying the winter after graduation, would I have a strong chance of getting accepted? I can't picture myself in any other field and I truly adore clinical pediatric neuropsych/neuroscience.

Gabby, your peripherals (clinical exp/research exp/etc) look above average, those will help a bit. The GPA is a tad low, so I would do my best to up that as much as you can, most schools will weigh your last two years more heavily anyway, as well as your psych only GPA. After that, the GRE will be a big factor. So, as long as you work on the GPA a bit, get a good GRE, chances are pretty good as long as you have a good fit and don't limit yourself too much geographically.

Gabby, your peripherals (clinical exp/research exp/etc) look above average, those will help a bit. The GPA is a tad low, so I would do my best to up that as much as you can, most schools will weigh your last two years more heavily anyway, as well as your psych only GPA. After that, the GRE will be a big factor. So, as long as you work on the GPA a bit, get a good GRE, chances are pretty good as long as you have a good fit and don't limit yourself too much geographically.
Thank you so much I greatly appreciate it and I will do everything I can :)

Hello, I know there seems to be a long line for advice so i'll be patient, but when someone gets the chance I would really appreciate it! I am applying to Psy.D programs for the Fall 2016 semester (predominantly the better ones) and I want to know what my chances are with these stats. I am currently going into my second year in a Clinical Psychology M.S. Program.

Overall Undergraduate GPA: 3.8 (Psych GPA: 3.9+)
Current Graduate GPA: 3.8
GRE: 160V 153Q AW: (anticipated)

Research Experience: Spent one year as a Undergrad Research Assistant in a longitudinal study researching the developmental factors of anti-sociality in adults.
Internship: A semester working on an addictions hotline: helped people obtain support/ services, organized speaking events, interacted with professionals in the community
Clinical Assessment Experience: 1 year working in the University clinic assessing children and whether they have learning disorders/ ADHD
Proficiency in conducting WAIS-IV, WIAT-III, WISC-V; Others anticipated

Other Experience:
-Semester as a TA for intro to psychology
-Volunteer for LGBTQ+ crisis hotline, VA hospital
-Sunday School Teacher (4th-5th grade); Babysitting experience (component of aforementioned research study); Summer Camp Counselor (Kind-2nd grade)
-Member of PSI CHI, MPAGS, SEPI

Schools I am applying to: Loyola U of maryland, Rutgers, La Salle, Widener, James Madison, Yeshiva, University of Hartford, Xavier, Wright State University, Indiana U of PA, GW, potentially more...

Any feedback would be wonderful!

I'm new to the SDN and recently graduated! I'm a non traditional student who returned to school around 24 ish, and continued so my abysmal GPA was raised from 1.4 to a 3.5 Over about 5 years. During that time I acquired a B.A. in Psychology and B.S. in Applied Sociology (dual degree) cum laude. For my B.S., I had a 300 hour internship at the end with a non profit organization known as the Austin PrEP Access Project with various Doctors, clinicians, nurses and researchers (At Ph.D. level). I still volunteer about 16- 20 hours a week there and have presented research projects and data to the City of Austin, the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, the AIDS Services of Austin and the Board of Directors for our non-profit organization. I also have working knowledge of French (here's looking at University of Montreal? ) , studied abroad, in the Honor's College and have requests to assist with research opportunities with my Alma Mater Texas State University in the Fall in Sociology and Psychology. I haven't taken the GRE yet (*cringe) because I knew that I had to focus on the last of my classes. Our Applied Soc. program is very heavy statistically (more so I hear than our Psychology department, given the need for epidemiological data for Sociological work.

I'm planning on publishing in our Undergraduate Journal of Research and also will be co-authoring on research from the data of the PrEP Clinic.

I am trying to decide what will be best for me because on one hand, I want to make sure I make the best informed choice for Clinical Psychological Studies. I live in Austin, TX, and Baylor University is not only top ranked in Psy.D. but also Internationally renown. I've read on some other forums so far that the program was more religious than others had expected. I have a therapist who got her Psy.D from that school and she's a happily married lesbian woman. =D

I know I have some chances, but I used to always make the critical mistake (it was mentioned in the Non-Traditional forum) of not realizing my strengths in having many types of jobs and for Fortune 500 companies (Apple, Sallie Mae, Blizzard Entertainment, Walt Disney World) and having real work research employment. (Also was a RA at a Research Lab before finishing at Texas State for a year.)

During my college career, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder (Type I, rapid cycling) and General Anxiety Disorder. After the diagnoses, my passion for clinical psychology and applied practice increased and I feel that I would have a lot to bring to the discipline. I'm also in Psi Chi and very close with the Faculty advisor for Psi Chi, will be working with him in the Fall possibly doing Research and very close to the chair of the Sociology Department and various faculty in both.

My concerns: I want to make sure I maximize the best possible chance into a fully funded Ph.D/Psy.D program but I want to make sure there's a "goodness-of-fit" with where ever I'm applying. Geographically I want to be in a more liberal area than where I currently am. (Austin, TX.) but I don't want to have to sacrifice educational goals (I want to be able to be a clinician and researcher as much as a balance to that as possible) but specifically, I would love to have a Psy.D. program that was well-rounded.

I'm also African-American and openly gay >.> I know that can help with diversity quotas and maybe that's a bit controversial to say; I'm not familiar yet with how to even address that on SDN so I apologize. At any rate, I worry this can help/hurt my chances.

The GRE. I know it shouldn't be daunting, and that it is pretty much required for all programs and the GRE Subject exam to a lesser extent.

My professional careers before the Social Sciences were IT Analysis and Technical Support and Customer Service with a some Research and Survey analysis. I'm still in those fields to supplement my income while attending school (worked throughout all of college sans my summer abroad and the following Fall after.)

I just want to know everyone's take on the chances of a great Psy.D program right now?
Places I'm currently considering:
Baylor U, Psy.D.
Rutgers University, Psy.D.
UT-Austin, Ph.D. (Clinical Psychology)
University of Washington - Seattle Ph.D. (Clinical Psychology)

Um, no... not rude, just being straight to the point. You do realize that some (many? most?) of the quality/funded programs have clerical staff cull through the large number of applications and impose an a priori cut-off before sending the short-list of hopefuls on to already busy faculty members. I am speaking from experience. Sure, there are exceptions... and that is why they are called exceptions.

Hi all I was wondering if anyone could tell me about any good clinical pediatric neuropsychology PhD programs? My primary goal is to provide neurological testing on young patients in a hospital setting. Anyone, please help me! I am lost as to where to go from here

Hi all I was wondering if anyone could tell me about any good clinical pediatric neuropsychology PhD programs? My primary goal is to provide neurological testing on young patients in a hospital setting. Anyone, please help me! I am lost as to where to go from here
I am not aware of any quality PhD (or PsyD) programs that would have a peds neuropsych specialization so early on in one's training. You will first need to become a solid generalist in clinical, counseling or school psychology before sprecializing.

Reactions: 1 users
pamplemousse - I'd continue with the Master's program.

Nice job with the research experience and GRE. I'd say you'd have a good shot at neuropsych programs if you apply in the final year of your Master's degree. You probably won't get much credit for the Master's because it's in a different area (you'll still need to complete most of the requirements for a Master's on the way to your PhD) but it'll be a good stepping stone to getting in.

Good luck!

TO EVERYONE: Get the Insider's Guide and do the worksheets in the Appendix. They help you rate how you stand up against what they're looking for and give you a really great idea of your chances of getting an interview.

Hi all, I really don't know where I stand. It would be super helpful if anyone could let me know what they think my chances are for PsyD programs with these stats. I'm trying to decide whether to apply to mostly PsyD programs or masters programs. Thanks!

GPA - 4.0
GRE V - 161
GRE Q - 155

- Will have 1.5 years of research experience in one lab at the time i'll be applying (trying to get a second research assistant position), one local poster presentation
- Around 100 hours volunteering for a hotline
- Psi Chi officer

Places I'm considering:
Rutgers (PsyD)
U of Denver (PsyD)
Loyola (PsyD)
LIU Post (PsyD)
Widener (PsyD)
Pace (PsyD)
Yeshiva (PsyD)
La Salle (PsyD)
University of Hartford (PsyD)
Look up how your GRE scores stack up to the average scores of their incoming students (this information should be available in the programs "outcomes" usually on their website somewhere). Your experience is good and your GPA is great, but your GRE's may be right on the borderline.

I have been studying for the GRE since April and recently took a practice test and got a bad score. Yikes! I thought I would do better. I am doing the Kaplan prep thing and only have 7 weeks left to study. I cannot study more than 20 hours per week since I have a full time job and personal statements to do, and I cannot postpone it or retake it because my schools require the psychology GRE (I have to study for that one but I am not worried). Is it worth it to apply? The rest of my app is pretty solid ( GPA above 3.8, three years undergraduate research, 3 years clinical ex, 3 posters, good letters). I am interested in balanced programs( psychodynamic, CBT,DBT) and my research interests are in personality disorders and psychotherapy process outcome research.I really do not want to waste money if I have no chance. A minority of schools have cut offs and some do not say.

Last edited:
I have been studying for the GRE since April and recently took a practice test and got 143 Q and 149V. Yikes! I thought I would do better. I am doing the Kaplan prep thing and only have 7 weeks left to study. I cannot study more than 20 hours per week since I have a full time job and personal statements to do, and I cannot postpone it or retake it because my schools require the psychology GRE (I have to study for that one but I am not worried). Is it worth it to apply? The rest of my app is pretty solid ( GPA above 3.8, three years undergraduate research, 3 years clinical ex, 3 posters, good letters). I am interested in balanced programs( psychodynamic, CBT,DBT) and my research interests are in personality disorders and psychotherapy process outcome research.I really do not want to waste money if I have no chance. A minority of schools have cut offs and some do not say.
My schools are:
CUNY City College
LIU Brooklyn
Adelphi
Rutgers PsyD
Teachers College
S.t. Johns
U of Tennessee
Wichita State
Washington State
U of Toledo
Ohio University
Penn State

My take is that I wouldn't count anything out until you take the test and have official scores. At that point, you can see if how you did falls below any hard cut-offs. If not, you can see how you stack up against the average admitted applicant. If your scores are a good bit below the average, you may want to hold off on applying to those schools; but with the rest of your credentials, I'd say if you're in the neighborhood for a particular program, go ahead and apply there. At the very least, it'll get you some experience with the process.

And 7 weeks should be plenty of time to substantially improve performance, especially @ 20 hours/week. Really start honing in on the concepts and types of questions that are giving you the most problems, especially in that last month of study time.

My take is that I wouldn't count anything out until you take the test and have official scores. At that point, you can see if how you did falls below any hard cut-offs. If not, you can see how you stack up against the average admitted applicant. If your scores are a good bit below the average, you may want to hold off on applying to those schools; but with the rest of your credentials, I'd say if you're in the neighborhood for a particular program, go ahead and apply there. At the very least, it'll get you some experience with the process.

And 7 weeks should be plenty of time to substantially improve performance, especially @ 20 hours/week. Really start honing in on the concepts and types of questions that are giving you the most problems, especially in that last month of study time.

Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully, I can get it fixed in these 7 weeks.

GPA: Undergrad psychology 3.89; Grad Marriage and Family Therapy 3.8
GRE: 163 V, 146 Q, 4.0 writing. These are pre-masters. I have since learned geometry (embarrassing I know) and improved my general math skills and I'm retesting in a few weeks to boost that quant score. I did get a 4.0 in stats.
Research experience: 2 years in 2 labs as a research assistant in undergrad.
Pubs/posters: 3 posters
Other experience: A year as a intern at a marriage and family therapy clinic for under-served clients, a summer internship doing children's group work, six months as a case manager for homeless women at a non-profit

My undergrad is from a small public university. I'm graduating with a MA-MFT in May from a new program at a tiny university. I like couples work and talk therapy general, but I want to pursue a clinical or counseling doctorate and my master's has just confirmed this for me. I like research and would prefer a balanced program. I could be happy just using my LMFT but while I'm young and have school momentum I want to ensure I don't limit myself and that I have things like assessment and higher ed teaching as options down the road if I can.

What are my realistic chances of getting into a ~80% or better APA matching school with decent funding (ie. doesn't have to be 100%, but at least some each year)? Also, if my chances are poor should I bother applying to schools with worse matching or funding? I'm planning on applying to a dozen schools for 2016 admission.

I'm hoping to get some specific feedback if I ask a more specific question about my chances than I did above.
I'm wondering how schools would look at at a relatively good verbal score with a horrible quant score.
My GRE scores are
Verbal- 163(new) 92nd percentile 650(old) Quant-146(new) 25th percentile 560 Q+V=309 Writing-4
I am retaking in October for sure and my estimates are my verbal score will stay the same or increase slightly. My Quant score should increase by a few points because I've actually learned to do the math I neglected in high school, although my problem solving speed is low.
I noticed some schools just have a combined cutoff of between 298-310 in which case I wouldn't outright be rejected based on my quant score, but for schools that say things like at least 50th percentile in both do I even have chance with say a V-92nd and Q-30th ? I'm applying to a mix of counseling and clinical PhDs and university affillated PsyDs

Okay, so I am currently applying for PhD programs in Clinical Psychology and I am ambivalent about whether or not I should retake the GRE.

I will graduate with a 3.7 overall GPA and a 4.0 Psych GPA with a minor in Neuroscience (I did my first year at a community college-- I'm not sure if this matters)

Research Experiences: Research assistant in a few different labs within the department and I am currently working on a poster that I will be first author on (I may also be 3rd author on another poster before applications are due but I'm not positive). Also, I obtained a research grant from my university and conducted an independent project.

GRE scores: 158 Verbal (79%) 156 Quant (64%) 5.0 AWA (93%)

Also, if it matters I am not applying to top tier schools or anything but rather ones who I've identified a POI.

Based on these credentials does anyone have any opinions on whether or not retaking the GRE will significantly affect my chances of getting interviews?

How do your GRE scores stack up with those of the schools to which you're applying? It really depends on the program. For example, where I went to graduate school, you wouldn't get looked at if your percentile wasn't at a certain number. GREs get your foot in the door, but don't usually get you the offer -- it's the fit, letters, pubs/pres that do that for you. You just need to make sure your GRE is enough to pass muster. (Caveat: I've heard of a couple of places where a ridiculously stellar GRE might give an extra boost to an otherwise mediocre applicant.)

Hello,

I have been lurking for a while. I'm interested in clinical phds.

Undergrad: 3.96 psych w/ neuroscience focus (4.0 psych); multiple scholarships, awards, research grants, clubs, etc.
GRE: Taking next weekend (tests so far 160 range verbal; 155-159 quant)
LOR: 3 strong all from Ivy league professors/researchers
Research Experience:
1. 3 years in neuropsych/neuroscience lab; 4 posters; 3 publications
2. 2 years as full time RA in ivy league neuroimaging lab (4 posters; 2 publications)
3. 1 year in infant physiology lab (2 posters)
4. 1 year in youth positive psych lab (first lab; not really into pos psych

Looking at normal range of clinical programs. Nothing extraordinary. Any advice or evaluations? Thank you.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Just took the GRE today and I am in my last year of undergrad right now. I am applying to child clinical PhD programs!

GPA: 3.9 (4.0 psychology), additional major in sociology, honors college
GRE: 157 V - 154Q (311 total) I can take this again if you think it would help my chances, but if I do that then I won't be taking the psych subject test
Research:
-Child clinical lab - research assistant of the month, EEG, training new research assistants (joined 1 year ago)
-Cognitive-neuroscience lab - quantitative research/SPSS data analysis (joined 1 year ago)
-Child autism clinical lab - helping a grad student with her dissertation (joined in Spring)
(I am currently in all 3 labs and will continue to be for the next year and will receive LOR from the PI in each lab)
-Will be working on my senior honors thesis and will present that at the undergrad research conference in Spring 2016

My list of schools (in no particular order):
Auburn University
University of Nevada-Las Vegas
Miami University
University of South Florida
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
University of Southern California
University of Georgia
University of Washington
Georgia state
Arizona State University
UC Berkeley
Wayne State University
University of Iowa

I realize I'll have to realistically cut some schools off of that list. My main questions are:
1) What are my chances at those schools (each of those schools has a child clinical lab/POI I'd love to work with)
2) Should I retake the GRE (or) focus on applications (or) take the psych subject test (or) (last resort if I don't stand a chance) take a gap year to do all three and continue research

I just really want an honest opinion. I don't have any contact with/support from family to help me financially so I need to be careful with applying (as it is so darn expensive). Thank you!!

Last edited:
I have lurked for a while and since it is closing in on application time I figured I would ask for opinions on my chances. I am a nontraditional student who is looking at programs in social psych. I decided to peruse social in an effort to understand group interactions, racism and so on. My research is has been very much related to aggression, racism and perceptions of threat. Most of it has ties to my previous career in law enforcement and looks at how groups interact in high stress situations. I have picked the schools on my list specifically for the faculty research and tried to envision how I could be a good fit for what they are doing. My hope at the end of all of this is to be doing research that will shed light on police and community relations in urban environments.

I have tried to stay active while in my undergrad and will graduate in May with a B.S. in Psychology. I have worked closely with faculty at my current institution and have managed to squeeze in a fair amount of research both personal and faculty driven. My major concerns are my GRE scores. I did well on my verbal but blew my quant. I have test anxiety when it comes to math. Somehow this doesn’t apply when I am doing the math I actually use. I have managed to do well in 3 different college level statistics courses and in conducting actual research. One of my letter writers is a professor who taught my research design course as well as research statistics. She has told me that the score isn’t indicative of what I did in her courses and has no issues with addressing that in my recommendation letter. I had planned on retaking the test but was advised that I should continue to focus on my remaining classes and the research I am currently working on instead of focusing so much time and money one part of my application.

Anyway thanks for looking it over and providing any advice that may help me in the next few months.

I'm applying to funded PhD programs in social psychology at:

UC Boulder
UH at Manoa
University of Kansas
Kansas State University
Washington University (St. Louis)
University of Nebraska Lincoln
University of Washington
University of Oregon
UC Santa Cruz
UT Austin
University of Houston

GRE:
V-163
Q-148
Analytical-4.5

Undergrad GPA:
Psychology GPA

Letters:
2 extremely strong from professors/mentors both of which I worked closely with in their labs and coauthored papers with.
1 average from a professor whose class I received and A in and subsequently was a teaching assistant.

Relevant course work:
B.S. Psych 4.0- additional electives in Social Psych, Multicultural Psych etc.
1 year of undergraduate statistics and research methods, I received A’s in both of these courses.
1 year of additional statistics courses, I received an A and a B in my additional statistics courses.

Research experience/publication
2 years as Research assistant in two separate labs, one with a specific Social Psych focus.
3rd author on poster presented at APA annual conference.
1st author on poster at SPSP annual conference.
2 regional student psychology conference presentations
1st author under review for publication in peer reviewed undergraduate journal

Teaching:
TA in General psychology
TA in Multicultural Psychology
Law Enforcement training instructor

Work experience:
Prior Law enforcement
Law Enforcement Trainer/Instructor

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Just took the GRE today and I am in my last year of undergrad right now. I am applying to child clinical PhD programs!

GPA: 3.9 (4.0 psychology), additional major in sociology, honors college
GRE: 157 V - 154 (311 total) I can take this again if you think it would help my chances, but if I do that then I won't be taking the psych subject test
Research:
-Child clinical lab - research assistant of the month, EEG, training new research assistants (joined 1 year ago)
-Cognitive-neuroscience lab - quantitative research/SPSS data analysis (joined 1 year ago)
-Child autism clinical lab - helping a grad student with her dissertation (joined in Spring)
(I am currently in all 3 labs and will continue to be for the next year and will receive LOR from the PI in each lab)
-Will be working on my senior honors thesis and will present that at the undergrad research conference in Spring 2016

My list of schools (in no particular order):
Auburn University
University of Nevada-Las Vegas
Miami University
University of South Florida
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
University of Southern California
University of Georgia
University of Washington
Georgia state
Arizona State University
UC Berkeley
Wayne State University
University of Iowa

I realize I'll have to realistically cut some schools off of that list. My main questions are:
1) What are my chances at those schools (each of those schools has a child clinical lab/POI I'd love to work with)
2) Should I retake the GRE (or) focus on applications (or) take the psych subject test (or) (last resort if I don't stand a chance) take a gap year to do all three and continue research

I just really want an honest opinion. I don't have any contact with/support from family to help me financially so I need to be careful with applying (as it is so darn expensive). Thank you!!
I don't see why you would have to cut schools, tbh. Thirteen programs is probably about the average number of programs applied to, maybe a tisch higher. Although application fees, sending transcripts and GRE scores, etc., can get expensive, so can doing multiple application cycles. Your GRE scores seem good, especially Q, and I don't think they'll hurt you. Do you have any posters/presentations?

I don't see why you would have to cut schools, tbh. Thirteen programs is probably about the average number of programs applied to, maybe a tisch higher. Although application fees, sending transcripts and GRE scores, etc., can get expensive, so can doing multiple application cycles. Your GRE scores seem good, especially Q, and I don't think they'll hurt you. Do you have any posters/presentations?

At the time I submit applications, I will have an abstract under review at a conference. I will be presenting a poster for my honors thesis at an undergraduate conference. But I am not currently published or have had any posters, which I think cuts my chances to almost nothing

Also to add on to this, I actually thought my GRE scores are really poor for applying to clinical PhD programs. Do you have a different opinion on this?

Hello,

I have been lurking for a while. I'm interested in clinical phds.

Undergrad: 3.96 psych w/ neuroscience focus (4.0 psych); multiple scholarships, awards, research grants, clubs, etc.
GRE: Taking next weekend (tests so far 160 range verbal; 155-159 quant)
LOR: 3 strong all from Ivy league professors/researchers
Research Experience:
1. 3 years in neuropsych/neuroscience lab; 4 posters; 3 publications
2. 2 years as full time RA in ivy league neuroimaging lab (4 posters; 2 publications)
3. 1 year in infant physiology lab (2 posters)
4. 1 year in youth positive psych lab (first lab; not really into pos psych

Looking at normal range of clinical programs. Nothing extraordinary. Any advice or evaluations? Thank you.

We can't really judge "fit" here, but stats-wise, you look good. I hope your GREs go well! Make sure you apply broadly and emphasize fit in your SOP.

Hi all! Quick question that I didn't want to make another thread for: I recently took the GRE and scored a 164V, 159Q, and 5 AW. Would these stats along with a 3.8-3.9 overall GPA get me through the first cut of applications for top schools like UNC Chapel Hill and Rutgers? From what I have read on their websites and Insider's Guide these numbers seem to be at or above the averages; however, I do wonder if a 3.9 GPA compared to a 3.85 GPA will make a huge difference, or if a 161Q compared to a 159Q will matter (or if at that point the research experience is what will set applicants apart). Thanks for any opinions!

I applied for a few programs when I first graduated college, but didn't get into any schools at that time. Now 4 years later, I thought I would check with you guys on what you think my chances are... so I get some mental preparation before applying for the 2016 cohort!
  • Undergrad GPA: 3.7
  • Grad school GPA: 3.97 (M.S. in Counseling & MH)
  • I did a year-long AmeriCorps volunteer program working with at-risk youth in the city
  • Research:
    • In addition to 3 years of RA experience in college, I did an undergrad honors thesis where I designed and implemented my own study. Wasn't able to publish it due to limited sample size.
    • 1 year of graduate research assistantship where I designed and conducted a pilot study
    • 1 year of professional research and health policy analysis experience on youth behavioral health
    • 1 year of professional research experience on juvenile justice reform policies... it's less MH related, but it's a data analysis position where I collect and analyze federal and state juvenile justice, child welfare, and youth mental health related project outcomes
  • Working with youth:
    • Interned as a counselor during grad school
    • Worked with at-risk youth during AmeriCorps program
    • Worked as an Applied Behavioral Therapist for kids with Autism for a year
  • Publications:
    • This is my weakest point since I don't have any publication so far. My name was on some of the research reports written for some senators for my job, but those are not "published."
  • GRE: Verbal - 84th percentile, Quant - 94th percentile, W - 80th percentile
  • Recommendation: I've kept in touch with most of my professors and asked if they'd be comfortable writing me strong letters of rec. I'm assuming I don't have to worry about recommendations since they all agreed!
I've looked up average scores for the admitting class for schools, but it's hard for me to gauge what REALLY are my chances. Some schools that I'm considering are listed below... I guess my main question is, given my background, is my list realistic? Should I expand my list and aim for more safer schools?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Programs:
- NYU Counseling
- UVA Clinical
- UMD Counseling (undergrad institution)
- UPenn Clinical (grad/masters program institution)
- Columbia Counseling
- Berkeley Clinical
- George Washington Clinical
- BC Counseling
- BU Clinical
- Virginia Commonwealth University Clinical
- American University