This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am hoping that you all could give me some advice on how to ultimately achieve me goal of getting into a Clinical Psych Ph.D program. I graduated from a Reptable public Unviersity in 2012 with a BA in Psychology. I will start with my Stats:

Undergrad GPA: 2.8, Psych GPA 2.6
GRE (Combined): 301
Unfortuantely in undergrad I was not serious about my Studies, which landed me with this horrible GPA.
I realize that I will have to take a LOT of steps in order to ever be competitive. I am thinking that I will apply to some Master's Programs and do extremely well in class, as well as do an awesome Master's Thesis.

I currently work for my alma mater full time in a position not related to Psych at all, and plan to try and reconnect with a lab that I did research with in undergrad (1 year) to see if I can do some volunteer work with them to bolster my MA program applications for Fall 2017.

My Question:

Other than increasing my research experience and retaking the GRE, is there anything else that I can do to put myself in the best position possible to be admitted into a Master's Program?

Also, Would it be worth it to apply to Master's programs Out of State if I would only be there for 2 years, or should I just apply locally so that I can keep my job in the meantime?

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Your undergrad GPA is likely to be your biggest hurdle. Clinical Ph.D. programs are academically rigorous and highly competitive. Many courses will likely be "pass/fail" with a grade above an 80% required for passing. With an undergrad overall grade equivalent of 70%, you're really going to have to show that you can be successful academically before you will even be considered. The only route I can think of is to do an amazing job in an academically rigorous masters program, from which you can get some good letters of rec attesting to your new found, more serious approach to your education. That might keep your application from being discarded upon first read through. You will still be competing with other applicants who were very serious during undergrad and have the grades to show it. To overcome this, you'll need to be doing some research and other work in the field so that you can appeal to a specific mentor and get looked at on somewhat equal footing with other applicants with a demonstrated history of academic excellence. Just being honest- it's going to be a difficult route to overcome those GPAs. (I'm not fluent in "new GRE scores" so I can't comment on the competitiveness of your scores there, but that might also be a big issue).

Just curious- what makes you think an academically rigorous degree is the right path for you, giving your admittedly "horrible" performance in undergrad? You have a lot work to do to be competitive, and it will be a major investment of time, energy, and money/opportunity costs. Ideally, you can identify many things that are different about you, your environment, your life contingencies, etc. that make you think your future academic performance will be DRASTICALLY different from your past one, or else there might be better "investments" to make regarding your future education and career. I'm sincerely not trying to be discouraging here, but you self-identified something you were really bad at (academics) at a lower level (e.g. undergrad), and identify a goal that would require you being really good at the same thing at a much higher level. All things being equal, past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. You are going to have to demonstrate that all things are most certainly not equal. That is going to be your ticket to a masters program. You might have to take some undergrad courses, particularly in psych and statistics, and show that you have changed and you can perform well academically.

As far as worrying about moving out of state, your stat's are a major hurdle. Further limiting yourself based on geography is just another thing in the way. You're probably going to have to go "all in" if you want to make this work, so you should be looking to remove as many barriers as possible, rather than putting them up.

Thank you for your response, ClinicalABA. I think it is a very fair and realistic assessment of my situation.

I wholeheartedly agree that in order to achieve that goal, I will definitely have to demonstrate how my performance in a Master's Program will be drastically different than undergrad. I would like to know your thoughts on ways that I would be able to demonstrate that when applying to Masters Programs. I already plan to retake the GRE, and try to secure a volunteer position with some of the researchers I worked with in undergrad. Other than doing those things, Do you think it would be beneficial to redo some undergrad classes first, or just go with what I have grade-wise, and try to bolster my application through gain more research expereince and increasing my GRE score?

To Answer your question: The reason I still believe that this is the path for me is that I know for a fact that my GPA is not indicative of my ability. I dont think that I was inherently bad at being an undergraduate. For me, it was more of a combination for poor choices and family issues that contributed to it. Now that I have graduated and I am able to reflect back on myself during that time, I realize that Psychology IS something that I am passionate about, and I have gotten to a level where I am more mature and willing to put in the hard work. After being away from Psychology for a little while, I realize that I really miss it, and feel like it is where I belong.

I am a senior undergraduate student right now, so that would be research I did for class credit a few hours a week. I would say I was more actively involved than most other undergraduates in my school, but it's probably not even close to the quality of work done by full-time post undergrad researchers
Your profile is great other than coming straight out of undergrad. It's not impossible to get in right after undergrad, but it may be very difficult.
If you feel very confident that you know what your interests are and what type of research you want to do, you may have a better chance. You may need to apply to more schools to have a better chance...
That said, if you take a year off or two and work as a full-time research assistant/coordinator, you will be a great candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I am currently applying to schools AGAIN (blah). I am applying to 3 clinical programs, a few social/general psych, and then some public health programs. My main interest is research but I have always been drawn to the clinical side of psychology also - I don't want to be a counselor full time but clinical psych research is my passion. After a discouraging application process last round I have decided to expand my interest and accept that I may have to give up my desire to do clinical (hence, the more research focused programs).

My undergrad GPA was 3.5
I have a MA in Criminology and Psychology. My psych grad GPA was 3.8
I have 13 publications. 2 first author, 2 first author pubs under review
30+ posters/presentations
7 years of research experience in about 5 labs all surrounding my areas of interest (addictions and violence)
5 years of project management experience
GRE scores are my low point but I refuse to re-take it again: 151V 152Q 4.0A
My LORs are pretty strong I think - all academic professors I have known for years (2 from thesis mentors)
.....I think that's all the personal info besides my social security number haha

What would you think are my chances?!?! I'm super anxious because I'm not reapplying again - I just can't mentally handle it if this round doesn't match up

Hi all! I am currently applying to schools AGAIN (blah). I am applying to 3 clinical programs, a few social/general psych, and then some public health programs. My main interest is research but I have always been drawn to the clinical side of psychology also - I don't want to be a counselor full time but clinical psych research is my passion. After a discouraging application process last round I have decided to expand my interest and accept that I may have to give up my desire to do clinical (hence, the more research focused programs).

My undergrad GPA was 3.5
I have a MA in Criminology and Psychology. My psych grad GPA was 3.8
I have 13 publications. 2 first author, 2 first author pubs under review
30+ posters/presentations
7 years of research experience in about 5 labs all surrounding my areas of interest (addictions and violence)
5 years of project management experience
GRE scores are my low point but I refuse to re-take it again: 151V 152Q 4.0A
My LORs are pretty strong I think - all academic professors I have known for years (2 from thesis mentors)
.....I think that's all the personal info besides my social security number haha

What would you think are my chances?!?! I'm super anxious because I'm not reapplying again - I just can't mentally handle it if this round doesn't match up

To what programs are you applying? It would help to know that to evaluate you versus those students admitted to these programs.

How many times have you taken the GRE? Your current scores are 151=470=50% for verbal and 152=670=48% for quant, for a cumulative score of 1140.

Your other stats seem awesome, but depending on which programs you've chosen, your GRE scores may preclude you from some of them. Most programs will probably not make a hugedeal about your GRE scores because of how strong your research experience and output are, especially if you have a great fit with a particular mentor in their program and do a good job of explaining that in your personal statement.

Your main problem would be if programs enforce hard GRE screens, 1200 cumulative seems to be a popular screening score, but it depends on how strict they are about it. Also, you may not be as competitive at very selective schools, e.g. those with <2% acceptance rates if their average GRE scores are high, I think Penn is over 1400.

Still, I wish I had as much research experience and output as you, so as long you've applied broadly and diversely and have a good fit, I bet you'll get interviews and porbably an offer or two.

To what programs are you applying? It would help to know that to evaluate you versus those students admitted to these programs.

How many times have you taken the GRE? Your current scores are 151=470=50% for verbal and 152=670=48% for quant, for a cumulative score of 1140.

Your other stats seem awesome, but depending on which programs you've chosen, your GRE scores may preclude you from some of them. Most programs will probably not make a hugedeal about your GRE scores because of how strong your research experience and output are, especially if you have a great fit with a particular mentor in their program and do a good job of explaining that in your personal statement.

Your main problem would be if programs enforce hard GRE screens, 1200 cumulative seems to be a popular screening score, but it depends on how strict they are about it. Also, you may not be as competitive at very selective schools, e.g. those with <2% acceptance rates if their average GRE scores are high, I think Penn is over 1400.

Still, I wish I had as much research experience and output as you, so as long you've applied broadly and diversely and have a good fit, I bet you'll get interviews and porbably an offer or two.

We should combine our stats to create an awesome application in terms of test scores and research experience hehe.

I am applying to just 3 clinical programs (Univ of Memphis, LSU, and Southern Miss)
Then a few public health (Brown, UF, GSU, VCU)
and general psych/social psych (Old Dominion, U of Houston, New Hampshire)

We should combine our stats to create an awesome application in terms of test scores and research experience hehe.

I am applying to just 3 clinical programs (Univ of Memphis, LSU, and Southern Miss)
Then a few public health (Brown, UF, GSU, VCU)
and general psych/social psych (Old Dominion, U of Houston, New Hampshire)

We'd be the Voltron of applicants!

But seriously, how much of your profile that you posted has changed since the last time you applied?

We'd be the Voltron of applicants!

But seriously, how much of your profile that you posted has changed since the last time you applied?

A few more publications and just more research experience and networking sort of. And mainly I'm just not putting all my eggs in the Clinical Psych basket anymore.

A few more publications and just more research experience and networking sort of. And mainly I'm just not putting all my eggs in the Clinical Psych basket anymore.

It seems like you have three quite different types of programs to which you are applying, clinical, public health, and general/social.

Do you have strong matches/fits to the overall programs and to specific mentors?

Hi everybody-

I'm in a pretty unique (and crappy) situation and would love any feedback/suggestions ect.
I'm currently in my third year of (Apa accredited) Psyd program and I'm considering transferring.

Some background--

I am a first generation student (Native Alaskan) with several Learning Disabilities. I am significantly dyslexia (so please forgive the typos!) and have mild ADHD but I also have a extremely high IQ. Additionally, I have a genetic Illness Cystic Fibrosis- which is extremely well managed and has had minimal impact on my academics thus far-

With accommodations being met, I've been able to do exceptional academically- I started my undergraduate degree at Landmark College ( a college aimed at helping students with LD'S) got my Associates in psychology- 3.87- Class president.

Transferred to an elite east coast college- graduated with BA in psychology, completed 2 senior thesis's, with a 3.9 gpa.
I also worked a local psychiatric hosp. as a "mental health aid" - ie running groups, direct pt' care. (while in college) and strong faculty ties/letters of rec. The only thing missing was much/any research experience. Due to my disability, readings/writing takes me longer when compared with my peers and in order to have such a strong academic record I had to work almost double time.
My first round of applications to Phd Programs in Clinical Child Psy and Clinical--- I didn't get in to anywhere--- (I mostly think it was due to my Cover letters--- )
I spent the next year trying to gain more research experience but struggled to find much in the rural area in Alaska. So I ended up working and co-creating a program that helped Native families who were at risk of loosing there children (Due to abuse/neglect/drug/alcohol) to child services-
Providing therapeutic support, parenting skills, family therapy ect- Lots of great hands on experience.

So now you know a little bit of background-
I've been struggling in my current school pretty much since day 1. The school has no-disability support what so-ever. Even getting something as simple as a "note taker" was a struggle and often not possible for all of my classes. I realize this now that i should have transferred right away- but I didn't and began to try figure it out on my own.
Most professors have been understanding and accommodating (without the help of the "office") with a few exceptions. While I have several strong ties with professors and staff-- none have been able to talk with me/for me to the Dean about the lack of accommodations and it's impact. The dean has little to no empathy for the problem and has stated " maybe we should put on the schools website that we are not suitable to meet the needs of students with learning disabilities" (and yes I know what he is doing is illegal- but bringing a lawyer into the mix just seems like such a mess)

I've been currently paying out of pocket for my academic accommodations. Not to mention the lack of cultural respect and understanding- Basically- it's been a bad bad fit for the entire time, and caused me so much stress.

Why am I thinking about transferring NOW...
Because my clinical practicum (at a psychiatric hosp) was abruptly ended. My supervisor quit, of whom I had a good relationship with, and her replacement decided to eliminate my position due to my disability. She expressed that the " time it takes to accommodate you vs the work you produce isn't equal, you have to understand this is a cost benefit analysis" (I have all of this in email forms)
Several attending psychiatrists- a fellow, as well as one of the medical directions offered to supervise me and help with accommodations ect. She refused and now I do not have a practicum.
There is (pretty much) no way I can get a prac. now in the middle of the year --- and so my dean suggested I work on my dissertation.
Beyond being able to get enough clinical hours and loosing this entire year--- I can't go to the didactics/case conferences/supervison and will have to essentially redue my third year. And explaining the gap-
Also- the faculty who agreed to be my chair with has expressed a possible need for early retirement due to a health condition...

When talking to peers in other Phd/psyd programs, there experience seems significantly different. Including a peer (who is in a top 10 phd program) who also has similar struggles - his experience has been the exact opposite of mine.
So I figure since I'm already loosing a year- potentially my chair- I should apply to other programs. I know it's never really done but I feel I have to give it a shot- if there is a chance that I could be in a better program then I am alright taking more time to do it.

I just can't tell how realistic it is- my feeling that it's so unrealistic.

While I have good grades, significant experience, strong recommendations
- I have pretty low GRE scores
- still limited research experience
- most of the applications don't have a space in which I could address why I am wanting to transfer-

Additionally, I feel conflicted about directly addressing my Learning Disabilities. While my cv shows many poster presentations/talks at conferences about LD- as well as attending Landmark College. I honestly think that my only chance in getting my application seriously looked at is if a faculty or someone associated with the school is able to speak to my unique case.

These are a few of the programs I'm considering---

The New School
Utah State University
University of Denver Psyd (and Phd- I know it's such a reach)
De Paul University

Hi everyone,

Currently applying to Psy.D. programs and want to know where I stand. I am currently a senior undergrad, here are my stats:

GPA: 3.6
Psychology GPA: 3.71
GRE: 157 (V) 157 (Q) 4.5 (A)
Work Experience: 2 summer jobs working at an inpatient psychiatric hospital, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, a semester abroad in London working in an drop-in clinic for people struggling with mental illness
Research Experience: Currently working on an independent study, literature review / meta-analysis. Working directly with General Patton's grandson in his project treating PTSD in the military (main research and clinical interests)
+ 4 solid letters of recommendation

I am applying to:

1) Loyola University Maryland
2) University of Indianapolis
3) Indiana State University
4) Xavier University
5) Roosevelt University
6) LUI CW Post
7) Yeshiva University
8) Florida Institute of Technology
9) George Washington University
10) Indiana University of Pennsylvania

I would really like to get feedback on where I stand with some of these programs??????? thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in with those GRE stats to a R01 School for a Ph.D if that makes you feel better :) I also didn't have any publications.

Hi everyone,

Currently applying to Psy.D. programs and want to know where I stand. I am currently a senior undergrad, here are my stats:

Work Experience: 2 summer jobs working at an inpatient psychiatric hospital, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, a semester abroad in London working in an drop-in clinic for people struggling with mental illness
Research Experience: Currently working on an independent study, literature review / meta-analysis. Working directly with General Patton's grandson in his project treating PTSD in the military (main research and clinical interests)

I am applying to:

4) Xavier University
5) Roosevelt University
6) LUI CW Post
7) Yeshiva University

I would really like to get feedback on where I stand with some of these programs??????? thanks!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I am applying to:

4) Xavier University
5) Roosevelt University
6) LUI CW Post
7) Yeshiva University

Hello there! I am attending on of the universities you attended and interview at a few others. If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Updating because I now have my final list of schools. I'm applying to Developmental Psychology Ph.D. programs.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.9/4.0 as a Psychology major from a mid-size, moderately selective regional private university
Major GPA: 3.89

GRE first try - Verbal: 157 (74%) Quant: 156 (64%) AW: 4.5 (80%)
GRE second try - Verbal: 163 (92%) Quant: 154 (56%) AW: 5.0 (93%)
(I'm really worried about my quant scores...I scored around 80th percentile on multiple practice tests including Powerprep, but did much worse on the actual exam...)

Research experience:
-Currently lab manager at a very selective national university for the past 1.5 years. Conducting an independent research project here also
-2 years in a behavioral neuroscience lab doing rodent studies from sophomore-senior year
-Intern in a lab with a big-name professor in developmental psych at large public university the summer before senior year
-1 year in a developmental psych lab with a big-name professor at an Ivy League university - completed an independent study here
-Completed a senior thesis

Posters/publications:
-8 poster presentations, most at regional or university conferences, one at a big national conference, and 1 at a small conference overseas (not first author on most, though)
-1 manuscript in preparation (second author)

Computer programming experience

List of schools:
UC Santa Cruz, UC Merced, Loyola University Chicago, University of Louisville, University of Delaware, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Utah State University, University of Missouri, Washington U in St. Louis, Texas A&M, Temple, Lehigh, Boston University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Iowa

What are my chances? I'm seriously worried about instantly getting cut just because of my GRE quant scores and not having the rest of my application looked at. Several of the professors spoke on the phone/skype with me about their research and put me in touch with their graduate students, but I don't know if this is a good sign.

What are my chances? I'm seriously worried about instantly getting cut just because of my GRE quant scores and not having the rest of my application looked at. Several of the professors spoke on the phone/skype with me about their research and put me in touch with their graduate students, but I don't know if this is a good sign.

I think you have a lot going for you. The GRE quant score is a weak point, but it is a relative weak point for psych applicants across the board. There is a good chance you will clear the first pass, after which most people won't care about the GRE.

I assume you have had an opportunity to talk to your PI about the field and his/her opinions about whom would be good to train with. That inside knowledge is helpful for you, but it's also helpful for doctoral program faculty to hear via backchannel about students who are "vetted" by a trusted colleague. Make sure your name gets out there (to the extent you can).

Okay so I'm a senior undergrad psych/*high-minded liberal art field that will remain unnamed* double major at a mid-sized, elite(relatively)/well-regarded public university with a well known clinical psych ph.d. program.

Applying to clinical psych phd programs.

Stats: GPA 3.59 (3,75 in last two years) GRE 167V (97th), 156Q (64th), AW: 5.5 (98th).

Have worked as an RA in labs on campus for about a year and a half, and am an undergraduate assistant at the psychological training clinic (a very competitive position).

My largest strength is likely my relationship with my "faculty mentor," the director of our psychological clinic and a top-40 producer of scholarly publications in clinical psych. he is very well regarded, and seems very motivated to get me into a top school (often mentions that he knows profs at ivy-league or similar programs, and will def. speak to them about me). I haven't seen his letter of rec, but based on previous ones he has written me, it's one of those "so-and-so is the best student i've ever had, he is doing grad. level work as an undergrad, etc." letters, which should hopefully help. he seems to really and truly believe in me, which has helped me immensely throughout the process. of my other two letters, one should be very good and one I have no idea about - but it is from a very up and coming, also well regarded clinical prof. who I've taken classes with and worked with (and is known to write great letters for everyone he agrees to do it for).

I got a fairly large (for an undergrad; a few thousand dollars) competitive grant and ran an experimental study regarding depression and cognitive bias as PI under my "faculty mentor's" guidance. manuscript is currently submitted and waiting to hear back from a peer-reviewed journal. it's fairly creative and did something new, but using a somewhat niche theoretical framework. first author.

have one more publication in the works for a paper me and a phd. student are doing, second author on that one but not submitted yet.

paper presentation at an undergrad conference in a different field, but the paper was on psychology and I won an award for it.

personal statement will be very good, I am a published (in the literary field) writer -- though it may not be apparent to based on this post.

also have some clinical experience as a counselor, but that seems like it will have a negligible effect.

the schools i'm applying to range from harvard to CUNY, but tend to cluster around the #15 - #40 rankings. I'm doing about 15, assuming I get all the specific aspects of the statements done in the next week.

please let me know what you think, based on the fact that my GPA is low for most places I am applying (as is my Quant GRE) ,and that I have no actual accepted publications yet, I kind of feel like I won't get an interview anywhere. this is somewhat disorienting when my faculty mentor thinks I can get into harvard (and he knows my stats, has seen my essay). one thing he expressed concern about was the quant score. so, second opinions are much appreciated. I know without specifics it is difficult, but there you go.

EDIT: also, i'll likely apply to Masters programs as a backup. I've heard from various people that this won't help my applications, but surely it must as it gives more research experience, etc? Other option is working in a lab for a year or two. Thoughts on that?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Okay so I'm a senior undergrad psych/*high-minded liberal art field that will remain unnamed* double major at a mid-sized, elite(relatively)/well-regarded public university with a well known clinical psych ph.d. program.

Applying to clinical psych phd programs.

Stats: GPA 3.59 (3,75 in last two years) GRE 167V (97th), 156Q (64th), AW: 5.5 (98th).

Have worked as an RA in labs on campus for about a year and a half, and am an undergraduate assistant at the psychological training clinic (a very competitive position).

My largest strength is likely my relationship with my "faculty mentor," the director of our psychological clinic and a top-40 producer of scholarly publications in clinical psych. he is very well regarded, and seems very motivated to get me into a top school (often mentions that he knows profs at ivy-league or similar programs, and will def. speak to them about me). I haven't seen his letter of rec, but based on previous ones he has written me, it's one of those "so-and-so is the best student i've ever had, he is doing grad. level work as an undergrad, etc." letters, which should hopefully help. he seems to really and truly believe in me, which has helped me immensely throughout the process. of my other two letters, one should be very good and one I have no idea about - but it is from a very up and coming, also well regarded clinical prof. who I've taken classes with and worked with (and is known to write great letters for everyone he agrees to do it for).

I got a fairly large (for an undergrad; a few thousand dollars) competitive grant and ran an experimental study regarding depression and cognitive bias as PI under my "faculty mentor's" guidance. manuscript is currently submitted and waiting to hear back from a peer-reviewed journal. it's fairly creative and did something new, but using a somewhat niche theoretical framework. first author.

have one more publication in the works for a paper me and a phd. student are doing, second author on that one but not submitted yet.

paper presentation at an undergrad conference in a different field, but the paper was on psychology and I won an award for it.

personal statement will be very good, I am a published (in the literary field) writer -- though it may not be apparent to based on this post.

also have some clinical experience as a counselor, but that seems like it will have a negligible effect.

the schools i'm applying to range from harvard to CUNY, but tend to cluster around the #15 - #40 rankings. I'm doing about 15, assuming I get all the specific aspects of the statements done in the next week.

please let me know what you think, based on the fact that my GPA is low for most places I am applying (as is my Quant GRE) ,and that I have no actual accepted publications yet, I kind of feel like I won't get an interview anywhere. this is somewhat disorienting when my faculty mentor thinks I can get into harvard (and he knows my stats, has seen my essay). one thing he expressed concern about was the quant score. so, second opinions are much appreciated. I know without specifics it is difficult, but there you go.

EDIT: also, i'll likely apply to Masters programs as a backup. I've heard from various people that this won't help my applications, but surely it must as it gives more research experience, etc? Other option is working in a lab for a year or two. Thoughts on that?

Thanks guys!

You have good stats and experience that should make you competitive, depending on the program, but the parts I bolded raise some questions. They seem to indicate you are applying to programs based on perceived prestige and exclusivity, rather than what specific research they do, who the specific potential mentors are, and what your fit is with them. Those rankings you allude to aren't really all that informative or helpful when applying to clinical programs. A university being Ivy league for undergrad is not necessarily indicative of their clinical program's quality in general or in a specific research area.

It shouldn't really be about applying to programs based on your current undergrad mentor personally knowing people there, though it does help you get in if they are writing you a recommendation. You want to apply places you see yourself enjoying the overall program and your mentor's lab, otherwise you might be bored by or dislike grad school if there isn't the possibility to switch to a more compatible mentor.

Having strong fit with the program and match to the mentor also allows your personal statement to be that much better.

Hi there,

Thanks for making that point, and you're totally right! I'm only applying to places that align with my research history/interests, or that I could at least see myself studying for 6 years/the rest of my life. Indeed, there have even been a few labs that seemed crazily interesting to me, but I just didn't have any research background in the subject matter (something like sexuality, for example) and decided to forgo wasting the app. fee.

I mostly mentioned the 'ivy-league' thing as a frame of reference - though they do tend to have the highest research output, so it's not an entirely moot point. The #15 - 40 was referring to the US news & world reports clinical psych rankings, which I've seen referred to on program websites a number of times. A rep for them even called our clinic looking to speak to the program director for an evaluation/update a few weeks ago!

Thanks for your response!

USN&WR rankings are nearly useless. A strong research match at a university-based program w. solid clinical & research training will get you the farthest.

Ivy League programs are fine/good for some areas, but far from "elite" for other areas. Don't get hung up on names bc most of the best mentors are at state universities.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Folks,

Going for two schools; have you any thoughts?

Programs:
PhD Dual Health-Clinical University of Pittsburgh
PhD Health Psychology-Carnegie Mellon University.

While my cumulative grade point average from the summer between sophomore and junior year through my final semester in spring of 2013 is 3.45, the first two years of muddling through the wrong majors overshadow my accomplishment, bringing my 4-year cumulative grade point average to 2.969.

GRE:
Ver - 155; 67%
Qua - 163; 86%
Wri - 5.0; 93%

GRE Psych:
PSYCHOLOGY: Scaled:670-65th percentile
EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY: Scaled: 067-65th percentile
SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY: Scaled:068-69th percentile

Bachelor of Arts, Psychology Major, Philosophy Minor, Case Western

Research Experience In University:
Equiv of just under one year full time in research by end of college:
1 year, half time - Biomechanical Engineering
1 year quarter time - Motor Speech (lingual and facial motility)
3 months quarter time - Affective Neuroscience (helped finish data collection and entry for a dissertation)

Research/Work- Experience After university:
5 month contract with major software company in the psych field - Research Assistant
9 month contract with federal lab - Research Specialist
currently 14 months into 27 month contract with another federal lab in the same building as the last - Psych Tech and Study Coordinator

Awards:
Outstanding Senior in Psychology
Private within-department Funding Award

Independent Studies:
Physiological Psychology - Lit Review pertaining to functional anatomy of visual attention deployment and processing
Ethics - Analysis of current contractual and moral obligations of DoD to troops/veterans with regard to psychopathologies triggered by or contributed to by experiences in the combat theatre
Communication Sciences/Psychological Sciences - Small Experiment: Influence of Induced Emotion on facial motility during production of bilabial plosives with use of 3D motion capture system

Extracurriculars:
Volunteer and Staff Volunteer - non profit - 6 years
Sports club secretary - 1 year
Sports club Safety Officer - 1 year
Interest-based club president - 1 year

Regardless of stats, limiting yourself to two programs is not advisable. I'd strongly encourage you to wider your net. As for the <3.0GPA, that will most likely be a no-go for most programs. You should probably consider an MA/MS program (with thesis and research based) as a stepping stone.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! Asking for some input:
I am a psychology undergrad student applying to PsyD and masters programs for fall2016

-Very strong letters of rec/personal statement
-3.69 GPA
- selected to participate in undergraduate clinical internship at Children's Hospital
-1 1/2 years working as a research assistant
- Working on senior thesis
-teaching assistant
-Psi Chi member
-Graduating w/ honors

Unfortunately, my GRE scores are very low: Math-144 Verbal-148 Writing-3.5

Do you think I have any chance at all of getting into a PsyD program? Masters?

Thank you!!!

Everything looks good for Psyd programs but you really got to get those GRE scores up. Apart from that and a convincing personal statement and maybe some more clinical experience, you should be good.

Hello everyone! Asking for some input:
I am a psychology undergrad student applying to PsyD and masters programs for fall2016

-Very strong letters of rec/personal statement
-3.69 GPA
- selected to participate in undergraduate clinical internship at Children's Hospital
-1 1/2 years working as a research assistant
- Working on senior thesis
-teaching assistant
-Psi Chi member
-Graduating w/ honors

Unfortunately, my GRE scores are very low: Math-144 Verbal-148 Writing-3.5

Do you think I have any chance at all of getting into a PsyD program? Masters?

Thank you!!!

Regardless of stats, limiting yourself to two programs is not advisable. I'd strongly encourage you to wider your net. As for the <3.0GPA, that will most likely be a no-go for most programs. You should probably consider an MA/MS program (with thesis and research based) as a stepping stone.

So, I could actually very much use some guidance, as I am uncertain as to what programs themselves would be worth my while, as far as masters. While I have heard the arguments for masters in psych being a way of showing that I can "cut it" in graduate school, finding the "right" masters is difficult. My deficiency (grade wise, exposure to, and of which I would also like the chance to remedy and improve my understanding) is in the non-psychological sciences (biology, general A&P, chem, physics 2). As a professor, what is it you would recommend looking into?

My schtick for health psychology, whether or not I get clinical training as well, is that it allows a bit of a better nondual understanding of mind and body, and it would train me (depending on my advisor/research guide) in quantitative and qualitative methods to allow me to study mind-body interaction and to better phenomenologically describe/explore it.

Also, if this is better done via private messaging or another means, and/or you would be willing to continue the conversation, please let me know. It would be much appreciated.

As a professor, what is it you would recommend looking into?
I'd defer to others more involved in the program application process. My purview these days is limited to mentoring post-doc fellows and medical residents & fellows, so I can't really speak to particulars for doctoral program applications.

I'd defer to others more involved in the program application process. My purview these days is limited to mentoring post-doc fellows and medical residents & fellows, so I can't really speak to particulars for doctoral program applications.

Fair enough. Many thanks for the feedback you've already given, regardless.

Hi everyone!

I’m starting to look at Clinical PhD programs for Fall 2017. I earned a BA in Psychology and I am working towards a MSW degree currently.

-Undergrad GPA: 3.6

-Graduate GPA: the goal is at least a 3.7

-I’ve been involved in two labs: one for 10 months and the other will be 2 years by the time I apply

-I would have experience in clinical work due to my MSW degree

-I am also working on a thesis for my program

-I have, at least, two professors that can attest to my ability in research and other professors that can attest for my ability to perform in a clinical setting.

My GRE scores are the weakest point: Verbal-148, Quantitative-142, Writing- 3.0

I know the GRE scores do not attest to my ability to perform in a graduate program, but I know programs use the scores as a “cut-off.”

I have 14 schools lined up, and I have done the appropriate research at looking at mentors for each program. Also, the schools that I have looked at do not have a hard cut-off for the GRE.

This post isn’t so much about the “what are my chances of getting into a program,” but more of a "what can I do currently to improve my chances."

Thanks!

I'm applying to several Ph.D., M.ED., and M.S. programs for 2016-2017. What are my chances?

Undergrad GPA: 3.0
Major GPA: 3.6
GRE: Q: 147, V: 154, W: 3.5
I've been working as a behavior therapist for about 6 months and did a 5 month practicum as a behavior therapist before that.
I've been involved in a clinical child psych lab for 2 years and just became involved in research with a behavioral pediatrician a month ago. No publications have resulted this far, though.
I am certified in youth mental health first aid and QPR.
I was the founding president of Active Minds at my school.
I've been employed by my school as a psych tutor/TA for 2 semesters.

Programs I'm applying to:
University of South Alabama (Ph.D. combined clinical and counseling)
University of Alabama (Ph.D. Clinical child)
Auburn University (Ph.D. Clinical Child and M.S. ABA) *Very good match
Louisiana State University (Ph.D. Clinical Child) *Very good match
Vanderbilt (M.ED. child studies and M.ED. clinical psychological assessment)
Jacksonville State University (M.S. ABA)
Florida State University (M.S. ABA)

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I’m starting to look at Clinical PhD programs for Fall 2017. I earned a BA in Psychology and I am working towards a MSW degree currently.

-Undergrad GPA: 3.6

-Graduate GPA: the goal is at least a 3.7

-I’ve been involved in two labs: one for 10 months and the other will be 2 years by the time I apply

-I would have experience in clinical work due to my MSW degree

-I am also working on a thesis for my program

-I have, at least, two professors that can attest to my ability in research and other professors that can attest for my ability to perform in a clinical setting.

My GRE scores are the weakest point: Verbal-148, Quantitative-142, Writing- 3.0

I know the GRE scores do not attest to my ability to perform in a graduate program, but I know programs use the scores as a “cut-off.”

I have 14 schools lined up, and I have done the appropriate research at looking at mentors for each program. Also, the schools that I have looked at do not have a hard cut-off for the GRE.

This post isn’t so much about the “what are my chances of getting into a program,” but more of a "what can I do currently to improve my chances."

Thanks!

Are you sure those programs you've chosen don't have cutoffs?

Your verbal is 420 on the old scale and 37th percentile and your quantitative is 470 and 12th percentile. No matter how good your research and clinical experience are, how many publications and presentations you have, how good your letters of recommendation are, and how good your fit is, your scores are likely going to preclude you from most programs.

You really need to retake the GRE and keep up with the research work. Also, even though you've done research into those programs and mentors, you need to make sure those mentors are taking students in 2017 but they wouldn't be able to tell you with any certainty until at least late next summer.

Are you sure those programs you've chosen don't have cutoffs?

Your verbal is 420 on the old scale and 37th percentile and your quantitative is 470 and 12th percentile. No matter how good your research and clinical experience are, how many publications and presentations you have, how good your letters of recommendation are, and how good your fit is, your scores are likely going to preclude you from most programs.

You really need to retake the GRE and keep up with the research work. Also, even though you've done research into those programs and mentors, you need to make sure those mentors are taking students in 2017 but they wouldn't be able to tell you with any certainty until at least late next summer.

Thank you for your response!

And yes, I combed through each school to check the requirements, and if I was not sure, I sent an email. I also know about the mentor bit as well. My goal was to create a list of potential mentors to contact when the times comes and to look up articles on their research.

I am not opposed to retaking the GRE. I was just hoping to strengthen the rest of my application to off-set it to see if it was possible to avoid retaking it.

Thank you for the advice!

Thank you for your response!

And yes, I combed through each school to check the requirements, and if I was not sure, I sent an email. I also know about the mentor bit as well. My goal was to create a list of potential mentors to contact when the times comes and to look up articles on their research.

I am not opposed to retaking the GRE. I was just hoping to strengthen the rest of my application to off-set it to see if it was possible to avoid retaking it.

Thank you for the advice!

It's not an "either-or" situation, it's both. You need to keep strengthening the research and academic components of your profile (as everyone should) AND you need to retake the GRE. You have less than a combined 900 based on the old scale and are not even close to the 50th percentile for either verbal (37%) or quant (12%). There are many, many applicants who will have similar or better CVs and experience than you and have much better GRE scores than you. Even if you have the perfect fit with a mentor and program, it's going to be a fairly large hurdle for them to accept you for such a selective field when your GREs are so low.

You say that your scores don't attest to your ability to perform at the graduate level, but the mentors, faculty, programs, etc., don't know that, you have to show them. With such a long time until you have to apply, there's not really any good reason to not study as much as you can and retake it. They can also see the date when you took the test, so they'll wonder why you didn't retake it if you send in these scores that are from at a year before the application deadline.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not an "either-or" situation, it's both. You need to keep strengthening the research and academic components of your profile (as everyone should) AND you need to retake the GRE. You have less than a combined 900 based on the old scale and are not even close to the 50th percentile for either verbal (37%) or quant (12%). There are many, many applicants who will have similar or better CVs and experience than you and have much better GRE scores than you. Even if you have the perfect fit with a mentor and program, it's going to be a fairly large hurdle for them to accept you for such a selective field when your GREs are so low.

You say that your scores don't attest to your ability to perform at the graduate level, but the mentors, faculty, programs, etc., don't know that, you have to show them. With such a long time until you have to apply, there's not really any good reason to not study as much as you can and retake it. They can also see the date when you took the test, so they'll wonder why you didn't retake it if you send in these scores that are from at a year before the application deadline.

Retaking is definitely something I will be doing, at this point. Again, thank you for the advice!

Good afternoon, All!

I'm almost afraid to post here, lest I feel discouraged post-submitting my applications, but curiosity is getting the best of me. I'm a non-traditional applicant, active-duty military, prior Political Science B.A. with approximately 24 units of upper division psychology and stats work.

UG GPA: 3.75
Psychology Courses GPA: 3.75
GRE: 158V, 157Q, 5.oAW.
Subject: 660 (not super stoked on this, but I didn't afford myself the proper time to retake before applications).

Research:
6 months data collection, political science research;
6 months honor's thesis (meta-analysis, case study, political science);
4 months (unpublished) quasi-experimental study on simple reaction time,
unpresented poster.

Professional Experience:
2 years, Suicide Prevention Coordinator;
globally-certified ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) Instructor, taught 3 classes (2-days each) in service of professional mental health community;
various volunteer and instructor projects in support of military mental wellness and suicide prevention/intervention

Accolades:
several military awards (won't name them since I don't think this counts for much);
"Outstanding Undergraduate of the Year, 2012 (Dept of PoliSci, SJSU)";
Magna Cum Laude (several Dean's List, Honor's Graduate);
awarded private, merit-based scholarships for UG.

I believe that my SOP was well-written and that I have great letters of recommendation. Fortunately, I had the wherewithal to apply for great POIs--each reflect similar research interests in veteran/service member stress maladjustment disorders, PTSD, and EBTs. I am hopeful, but realistic that my limited research experience will work against me.

What do you all think? Thanks for any and all input.

Fiinch

Last edited:
Good afternoon, All!

I'm almost afraid to post here, lest I feel discouraged post-submitting my applications, but curiosity is getting the best of me. I'm a non-traditional applicant, active-duty military, prior Political Science B.A. with approximately 24 units of upper division psychology and stats work.

UG GPA: 3.75
Psychology Courses GPA: 3.75
GRE: 158V, 157Q, 5.oAW.
Subject: 660 (not super stoked on this, but I didn't afford myself the proper time to retake before applications).

Research:
6 months data collection, political science research;
6 months honor's thesis (meta-analysis, case study, political science);
4 months (unpublished) quasi-experimental study on simple reaction time,
unpresented poster.

Professional Experience:
2 years, Suicide Prevention Coordinator;
globally-certified ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) Instructor, taught 3 classes (2-days each) in service of professional mental health community;
various volunteer and instructor projects in support of military mental wellness and suicide prevention/intervention

Accolades:
several military awards (won't name them since I don't think this counts for much);
"Outstanding Undergraduate of the Year, 2012 (Dept of PoliSci, SJSU)";
Magna Cum Laude (several Dean's List, Honor's Graduate);
awarded private, merit-based scholarships for UG.

I believe that my SOP was well-written and that I have great letters of recommendation. Fortunately, I had the wherewithal to apply for great POIs--each reflect similar research interests in veteran/service member stress maladjustment disorders, PTSD, and EBTs. I am hopeful, but realistic that my limited research experience will work against me.

What do you all think? Thanks for any and all input.

Fiinch

To what programs did you apply?

Hi!

I am applying for Clinical Psych PhD programs and wanted to see what people thought.

Double Major in Psychology and Sociology
GPA: 3.63
Psych Courses GPA: 3.78

GRE:
V - 153
Q - 157
W - 4

Research Experience:
2 years undergrad research experience in a lab with a great Professor in the field (in my second year I managed the other undergraduates)
6 months as an "undergraduate volunteer" transcribing for another lab
2 years as a paid research assistant in another lab

Presentations/Posters/Publications:
1 first author publication in press (peer reviewed journal)
1 co-author publication out (peer reviewed journal)
1 first author publication under review (peer reviewed journal)
1 co-author manuscript in prep (peer reviewed journal)
1 first author paper presentation at an international conference
2 co-author for paper presentations at international conferences
3 first author poster presentations
2 co-author for poster presentations

Wow, that seems like some pretty impressive research background and output. Where are you applying?

To what programs did you apply?

Hello!

I applied to several PhD programs in clinical psychology, scientist-practitioner models of training. I'm not sure if I should detail the schools, or if that's helpful, but here they are!

USUHS
U of Florida
U of Central Florida
SDSU/ UCSD JDP
U of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Auburn University
Memphis University
West Virginia University
University of Wyoming

As far as matches are concerned, I am most excited about the Trauma Psychology program at Colorado. As luck would have it, it's also one of the only universities that can't confirm they've received my GRE scores, despite every other school from the same report order confirming them! Ahhh!

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and would really appreciate your feedback.

I am a licensed MSW working full-time in an integrated healthcare setting for over a year now; I also provide psychotherapy part-time in a psychiatry practice. As an immigrant, I am fluent in three-languages. I use my culturally experience and professional training to serve the clients from the underserved immigrant communities. I would have been content with my current career, but I struggle to find referrals for my clients who need additional psychological services beyond the master-level scope of practice--language has always been a problem for my clients.

Seeing the needs in the community, I feel compelled to improve my clinical skills and pursue further training. I am interested in applying for PsyD programs. I wonder what my chances are for getting in a funded APA accredited PsyD program:

- Undergrad GPA : 3.3; I started out in architecture but changed my major due to health conditions, which affected my GPA. I graduated with a B.Sc. in Psychology.
- Graduate studies in Psychology (18 hours): 3.89 including two Statistics classes.
- MSW GPA: 3.75, clinical track.
- Clinical experience: Full-time social worker providing behavioral-health services in an integrated primary care setting; I also provide psychotherapy part-time under clinical supervision. By 2017, I should have my LCSW licensure.
- Research experience: I don't have clinical research experience. Most of my research experiences were in public health and health disparities. I facilitated focus groups in underserved immigrant communities; I also helped with needs assessment and data entries in SPSS... not sure if those help. I worked two years in health education prior to MSW.
- GRE: dreading this most, but I am willing to take it multiple times until I get the desirable scores. English is not my first language, and I am not a good test taker, but I can practice and overcome it.
- LOR: Unlikely from former professors. My letters will most likely from the professionals at work: social work supervisor, psychiatrist, clinical psychologist, and family physician.
- Community Services: I am not sure if this will help the application; I have 6 years volunteering in underserved communities, organizing youth health education events, facilitate support groups for immigrants, providing pro-bono services for domestic violence survivors.

I live in Texas, and it seems like Baylor University is the only PsyD program in my State. I would consider PhD programs too, but I am aware that PhD programs only select candidates with research experiences, which I don't have.

I have been thinking about this for a while now--6 years of school, quit my full-time job, student loans, possibly moving out-of-state, and in-laws wanting grandchildren (biological clock is ticking!)--but I think it will be worth it.

Any advice would help. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
I think we might be going for the same professors! I'm not applying to Colorado, but I can tell you that schools usually wait until the application is submitted and then tie the GRE/transcripts to the application. I wouldn't fret (even though I know it's a stressful situation). They usually give you time afterwards if they don't have something, especially if it is GRE/transcripts/letters of recommendation because those are not sent in by you. (That's the advice that I got from my boss who does the clinical admissions at the university I work at)
Wow, what are the odds? We have a lot of overlap indeed! For USUHS, are you applying for the civilian or military track? Although I have quite a lot of experience in suicidology, and a lot of training in that department, I am most interested in military mental health, especially PTSD and EBTs. I certainly regard suicide as a component of that research interest, though, so we probably do have some similar POIs! I will say, though, you've got me beat in the research department! :)

I am so scared about that GRE bit...the score report that never made it, supposedly, was one that should have been emailed as a "freebie" when I took the subject test (I elected to have both score reports for subject and general sent on that registration form). Given how competitive these programs are, and because I don't have a B.A. in psych, my concern is: will they just weed me out, simply on the technicality that I failed to submit all the required documents?

Trying to surrender all this to the universe, all the same....not much I can do now. :)

Baylor will also only accept students with research experience (of which it seems like you have some, but might need to be supplemented). Psy.D. does not equal no research. Competence in research (which is gained by conducting it and studying research methods and statistics) is essential for the doctoral level practice of psychology. Both Baylor and Rutgers (arguably the two top Psy.D. programs and historically the only ones that offered any funding) function pretty similarly to balanced Ph.D. programs. Given that most Psy.D. programs are not funded, you would be better off getting more research experience and applying to balanced Ph.D. programs.

Thank you so much for the clarification, Psycscientist! When you said research experience might need to be supplemented, what do you recommend? I am working full-time, and it's hard to find time to volunteer in labs, but I will try...

It's such a tiny field, I expected to find some people on here! You could always call them. I know USUHS is going through a weird phase this year and have the application emailed in.

It is my first time applying and I have anxiety about pressing the wrong button or clicking something wrong, so I know what you mean. My boss' advice is that it can all be fixed and you won't be thrown out. They're looking at what you bring to the table, not just if you click the wrong button.

I'm applying to the civilian track. I'm more interested in return from deployment and deployment events (like the MIES) and their relationship to suicide Do you mind me asking what lab you're applying to? I'm applying to Holloway's lab.

I applied to the military track (might as well, already military lol!), and my first choice is Dr. Riggs, second Dr. Holloway. I have the great luck of currently being stationed in MD, and I live only 30 minutes or so from USUHS....I actually was able to speak to Dr. Gifford (in charge of the STARSS program, longitudinal study on Army folks and stress; he's such an awesome guy!). I also spoke with a current intern in her fifth year (uniformed AF) at Malcolm Grow Hospital, as well as the AF representative in the program as a third year. I got great feedback from the first two, especially the intern who claims I'm a shoe in for the military side (flattery at its best!), but the latter gal wasn't too enthralled with my lack of psych-specific research and gave me a LOT of tough critique.

Any insight about whether POIs entertain students from more....diverse backgrounds, as far as academic and research (and military) experience? I'm hoping I can attract some attention for bringing another perspective to the table, but I also know PhD applications are very unlike UG.

How does the GRE psych subject test factor into admissions?

Obviously, there are programs that require it and others that strongly recommend it, but what about the programs that don't require it and don't mention anything about recommending it on their website, application forms, etc.?

Is it of little consequence for the latter programs or would it still be helpful to getting admitted if you received a high score?

Hi everyone,

I am applying to:

4) Xavier University
5) Roosevelt University
6) LUI CW Post
7) Yeshiva University

Hi everyone!

I am also applying to Psy.D.programs and have a few questions to throw out there.

So I am applying to six programs:
1) University of Denver
2) Baylor University
3) PGSP-Stanford Consortium
4) Wright Institute
5) Adler University, Chicago
6) Albizu University, Miami

First of all, if anyone knows anything about Albizu, I would love to hear opinions, because their application process was weird (e.g. they didn't ask for my GRE scores, and wanted me to attach the letters of recommendation directly myself) and I haven't heard of anyone that went there. It is APA accredited and seems to offer a good child emphasis, which is important to me, but I would like to know more.

On another note, I'm currently editing my essay responses for the Denver essays, and want to know how to write about my motives to pursue graduate study without writing about the wish to help others? Slash how honest do they want us to be here (I want to get my Psy.D. in child clinical psych because i want to work in a children's hospital, and that is what I have to do to get to my end goal... duh I'm doing it cuz i have to...)

Lastly, if anyone else has went to/ is also applying to any of the programs that I am applying to, I would love to hear about others' experiences!!!

Hi everyone,

I am applying to:

4) Xavier University
5) Roosevelt University
6) LUI CW Post
7) Yeshiva University

You're probably good stats-wise for these programs, but I'd somewhat hesitant about using the whole "George Patton's grandson" thing. Is he writing one of your recommendations? Is he a productive psychologist, clinician, and/or researcher? My understanding is that his work is more about filmmaking and advocacy for vets and PTSD than actually being a scientist or clinician.

Is your "direct" work with him close enough that he can speak to your research and/or clinical abilities directly? Does he know you on a one-to-one basis or just as an assistant to one of his colleagues or assistants?

Is he more than just a famous name you can drop? If he isn't more than that, can dropping his name help you because he has a direct relationship with someone at a program to which you're applying?

I may be wrong, which I very well could be because I'm applying for grad school now just like you are, but I've always read and been told that your recommendations should be from people with whom you've worked closely and for extended periods. You shouldn't simply be name-dropping someone (e.g. Steve Hayes) because they're famous and respected, especially if they don't really know you well or if it's especially transparent.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but it just makes me somewhat wary.

How does the GRE psych subject test factor into admissions?

Obviously, there are programs that require it and others that strongly recommend it, but what about the programs that don't require it and don't mention anything about recommending it on their website, application forms, etc.?

Is it of little consequence for the latter programs or would it still be helpful to getting admitted if you received a high score?
Morning :)

Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I'm an applicant as well, but to my knowledge the GRE Subject test is not heavily weighed. For me, my BA in Political Science implies that I don't have a good foundation in psych, so it behooved me to take the exam as a demonstration of knowledge. Schools that "strongly recommend" the test, in my mind, translated to schools that wanted it (especially in my case). Schools that explicitly "did not require" the exam, I may have been able to get away with not submitting it. In my case, though, I thought it best to submit my scores to all my schools.

For those that majored and did well in psychology, I think it's just an additional score report that gets a cursory glance. I wouldn't recommend sending a poor score, but a very high score is supposedly a plus. From what I've read, those that secure interviews seldom hear about those scores in their conversations with faculty--to that end, the subject test is just a way to screen people.

Hope this helps!

Is anyone willing to refer back to my WAMC post, and give some feedback?

Most of my research experiences were in public health and health disparities. I facilitated focus groups in underserved immigrant communities; I also helped with needs assessment and data entries in SPSS... not sure if those help.

That definitely counts as research experience, though to be competitive you'll probably need a bit more. Perhaps if you reach out to your organization you might find an opportunity to get involved with some program evaluation or research. Certainly, though, don't underplay the research experience you have had so far.

Thinking about your rationale for applying to PsyD programs, have you considered other options for advanced psychotherapy training? If you are basically happy with the work you do and the population you see but would like to be able to offer a wider range of clinical interventions, you might be able to get additional training and supervised experience for a fraction of what graduate school would cost. If there are other reasons for pursuing a doctoral degree, think about how you will answer the question, "why do you want to become a psychologist?" beyond just the need for more advanced clinical training.