This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, putting that aspect of my application to the side for now, wamc?
Because grad school is a long and arduous process that takes a lot of commitment and working closely with other people interpersonally. They want to see evidence that you can stick through things and work with people through stress and difficulty. Frequent job turnover and such can be an indicator of various not so good things, like interpersonal difficulties. Not saying that's the case in your situation, but it would be one thing I would be wondering about in that application
Thank you for the insight.

All the best,

Andrew

Members don't see this ad.

1. Your resume has your full name address and contact info. Get that off the internet! Not smart, anyone can contact you and not in a good way.
2. Grad admissions committees don't give a damn where you went to high school or how well known your high school is. They care about your work in undergraduate classes. A 3.1 is a solid B average. Did you struggle in the beginning of college or more towards the end? 3.5 is average minimum score for many Ph.D programs but it varies.
3. Participating IN research is NOT the same as research experience. Grad admissions looks at understanding the research process and commitment to research. No poster presentations at conferences? 1 year is not a lot of experience to be honest.
4. SHU is expensive ($30K a year) and only 2 years eligible for grad assistance IF you get chosen. That means $60,000 in loans at minimum, with 6% interest rate right now. Also look at their APA accredited internship match rates the last few years. Not great. They also didn't admit anyone into the program in 2015, I would want to know why.
5. Rutgers PsyD is very competitive. You may not meet their minimum standards.
6. Why are you limiting yourself to just schools in NJ? You severely limit your chances of getting accepted with geographical restrictions. Ph.D programs are competitive. Some schools get hundreds of applications but only admit 5-10 students.
7. Do you have a mentor or professor guiding you in this process? If not it might help you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the insight -- especially bullet point number 4. I am not too savvy when it comes to analyzing those statistics and finding out about that type of information.

I received another message about my personal information, and I removed it from both the post and my profile.

I have mainly been researching on my own and making decisions based on that research. I joined this forum to get in the loop, so that I could make better decisions during this process.

I am limiting myself to schools in NJ because I want to commute from home to school, and I live in NJ. I struggled throughout college, to be quite honest, but I am currently doing quite well and have been working for some time; that is why I am considering applying to doctorate and master's programs in NJ now.

Do you think it would strengthen or weaken my application if I reported my GRE Psychology Subject test score?

Thanks again.

Ritty
Psych GRE won't make up for lack of research experience. Did you do an honors thesis in college? What was your role in 2 semesters of lab research?

Start with the basics. Why do you want a Ph.D in psychology? What are your career goals? Grad school is intense, requires commitment, dedication and years of your life. You will be poor. You will not be able to work full time at a job. School is your job. Read this thread for additional information http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/doctoral-applicants-read-first-helpful-threads.714255/

Also, you could commute to NYC or PA. You live in a desirable metro area where there are hundreds of programs but not all are going to get you to your goals. You will be competing against hundreds of applicants. After reading the thread I posted, consider reaching out to your college advisor for help in navigating this process. You need to understand the realities of doctoral study in psychology and from what you've posted so far it seems you have very limited information.

Thank you again for your insight.

My role in my two semesters of research was as a group member in a group of 3 during one semester (myself and two other students), and a group of two during the other semester (myself and one other student) . During both semesters, I worked with my group on all of the aspects of the psychological manuscript, and I helped my group create a poster to present our findings. Our group presented our findings to the class, so no major conferences for me. We did data collection for one of the two semesters, and we analyzed the data using SPSS for both semesters.

I want a Ph.D or Psy.D in clinical psychology for the reasons that I stated in my original post. I'm interested in treating and researching anxiety disorders and mood disorders (specifically OCD and depression). My research interests are listed in my original post too, and I would be thrilled if I could delve deeper into those topics for several years.

I have to stay close to home for personal reasons. NYC might be possible, but PA would not be.

I agree that right now I have limited information and need a more realistic perspective with regard to doctoral studies. That is why I am considering starting with a master's degree in clinical mental health counseling at a variety of universities in NJ. I am applying to 8 master's level programs in NJ. I am passionate about the interests that I've stated, so I know that clinical psychology would be a good fit for me at a fundamental level. Also, I have seen the effects of mental illness from a personal level (my own struggles with OCD and depression, my mother's, and other family members' struggles) and the general lack of awareness that surrounds mental health; I want to learn more about these conditions and help alter the broader attitude towards mental illness. These are some of the most essential reasons for my desire to study at the doctorate level in clinical psych, and I have written about these reasons in greater detail in my personal statement.

I will check out the thread that you referred me to for additional information, and I will get post back here with my thoughts. I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me in this process with the information and insights that you've provided.

Best,
Ritty

You probably want to do an experimental master's program with a thesis, not a counseling one. The former will get you the research experience you need to get into a doctoral program, while the latter is generally more focused on just practical experience of being a master's level counselor. You need more research experience, not clinical experience. You also need to get perfect grades in your master's program to help overcome your GPA, though your GRE scores are very good and will help.

Also, don't mention your psychological problems, or those of your immediate family, in your personal statement. Yes, it is an explanation of your GPA and a narrative of how you became interested in clinical psych, but it's generally a bad idea. Firstly, it is often perceived as disclosing too much. Being so cavalier to strangers about very personal things could be perceived as negative about your ability to be mature about sensitive issues and safeguard patient confidentiality. Secondly, it could also be perceived that you might not be ready for the strain and rigor of doctoral programs based on your previous mental health problems, especially if they so negatively affected your undergraduate performance. Undergrad is cake compared to doctoral programs, so it's not unreasonable for them to worry that you may not be able to handle it.

This is why you should also not mention your geographic restrictions. If they know you are unwilling to move for graduate school, they will justifiably doubt your commitment to their program. Grad students move multiple times for their education, at least for internship and then for post-doc, so an unwillingness to move demonstrates that the program isn't your primary concern, geography and convenience are. Grad school in clinical psych is about fit, so only applying based on geography means that your fit is with location, not the POIs or program. Combine this with mentioning your mental health history, and you likely to not get any interview offers, let alone admissions.

You should work on your recommendation sources as well. Two are from professors in which you had one class, so that means they know your academic performance for a couple of months. You get them from people with whom you are going to get your research experience. They can speak to your research skills from a longer-term and at a higher level than just some semester project. The tutoring place should go completely, it's not really all that relevant or helpful for what you want to do.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your input. Really appreciative of yours and the other two members' knowledge.

What are some examples of experimental master's programs in NJ? To confirm, you said that the research experience from these types of programs would make me a stronger candidate for doctoral studies than a clinical mental health counseling program would?

Yes, experimental psychology master's programs are generally going to require you to complete a research-based thesis, so you'll get some good training in research and do your own, plus there will likely be opportunities to work in your professors' labs. Counseling master's programs are generally not going to provide you with much empirical research experience. That's not to say they are bad without value. It's just that they have different objectives are generally meant for different long-term purposes.

I know nothing about New Jersey, so you are going to have to find actual programs on your own or from someone else.

One of my recommendations is from a professor with whom I had two semesters worth of experience. One semester was in her lab and the other was in her stats class. The other one is from a professor who has been a mentor to me and with whom I took one class with.

Thanks again. Looking forward to your reply.

There's nothing wrong with having undergraduate professors write you recommendations for grad school, they can be good for establishing your academic ability and research skills. It's just that they need to be more substantive than yours seem to be. You want to have been in their labs and classes and/or have done research with them for more than just a semester. That's really not enough time for them to be able to speak about your skills, regardless of how glowingly they praise you. This is why you should look into an experimental master's program.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello I am a senior and I am planning on applying to a MA program next fall. I was looking into the psychology programs, most require from 2.85-3.0 gpa. By the time I graduate I will be having a 3.33 gpa. I am currently in a lab as well but I have not done much research. I know that MA programs for clinical psychology are competitive, what are my chances of actually being accepted with a 3.3? Or what can I do to raise my chances? Also I have worked as a diet aide at a children's hospital for three years, and I just recently started working as a diet aide at a nursing home, would that count as clinical experience?

Curiosity is getting the best of me so I'm going to put myself out there!

I'm 38, and a career changer. About 18 months ago I decided to build up a candidacy for clinical psychology PhD programs.

Here's the basics:

Yale undergrad, Class of 2001. History major with a music minor equivalent.

Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.32 (lots of upper level insane music theory courses Freshman and Sophomore years brought the overall down unfortunately.)

Last 2 years Undergrad GPA: 3.61

Masters in international relations from a very prestigious graduate school, where I wrote a thesis on global mental health and did field research in Sudan.

Masters GPA: 3.93

Earned a postgrad certificate in refugee trauma from Harvard Medical School.

Entered Columbia's psychology post-bacc in summer of 2015.

Psych courses taken: Intro to Psychology, Social, Abnormal, Thinking & Decisionmaking, Intro to Neuroscience, Clinical Practicum, Statistics, Research Methods

Post-bacc GPA: 4.03

GRE: 164V (94%), 156Q (63%), 4.5A (82%)
Got much higher scores the first time I took this before my masters, but I killed myself studying for it back then and didn't have the bandwidth to do that this time. Unfortunately those earlier scores expired! I did consider taking GRE again but opted instead to put my energies into the other parts of my app.

GRE Subject: 710 (79%)

Clinical experiences: 4 years mentoring underserved youth in a NYC Youth Chorus, one semester doing music therapy with kids on the autistic spectrum at a school.

No pubs or presentations that are psychology related (though have a handful for other disciplines), but I'm preparing two manuscripts for publication now

Research: 1 year working (simultaneously) part time at Columbia's Social, Cognitive, Affective Neuroscience Lab, and at Mt. Sinai's Mood and Anxiety Disorder Program.

Have been working full time since June at Columbia's Global Mental Health Program, where I've contributed to numerous major studies (global survey of clinician knowledge on suicide prevention; field studies for the ICD-11 revision; efficacy of interpersonal group therapy as treatment for depression in Kenya.)

LOR: All very strong to stellar (though I've only read one directly), all PhDs themselves:
- Now-Prof of Psychology at UCLA who had supervised me in the SCAN lab,
- Director of the Global Mental Health Program
- Abnormal Psych professor who's been a close mentor
- Grad school prof who supervised my thesis on mental health in Sudan
- Clinical practicum professors who oversaw my clinical placement

Statement of Purpose is strong and crafted to each individual school/faculty member

My Concerns! I haven't authored anything yet, my Undergrad GPA (3.32) from forever ago is lower than most top programs average, and my GRE Quant (156) is lower than I had hoped.

Schools I'm applying to:

UCLA*
USC*
San Diego*
UC Berkeley*
U Washington (Child)*
U Wisconsin Madison
U Michigan
U Miami (Child)
Duke*
UVA
Rutgers (PhD)
CUNY
St. John's
BU*
Harvard
(* is especially preferred program)

Any thoughts on my competitiveness?? Thank you guys! Your feedback is so welcome during this intense process!

(I should also say that I'm the 6 years since my masters, I have been a strategic consultant and senior leader at a range of different international nonprofits - I mentioned in my statement that I have grant writing experience though not sure if that will help my case)

Members don't see this ad :)
@GlobalMentalHealth - I think you could be competitive provided the fit at these programs is right for what you want to do (you don't really mention your training and career goals so I can only assume they're in line with what you've been doing). A few things to consider:
  • Is your master's thesis one of the publications you're developing right now? It's a little conspicuous that you wrote a thesis but never published it; however, maybe your goals at the time were less academic.
  • Having spread your research experiences across several labs, programs, and projects, you may be at a slight disadvantage compared to applicants who have had a chance to develop more long-term relationships with faculty PIs that result in progressive responsibilities, co-authorship on presentations, etc. In general, it's better to have a critical role in a smaller project than to be replaceable on a major project.
  • You've affiliated yourself with a number of name-brand institutions. There's nothing wrong with that, but be mindful of how others perceive these references and how you present them. Anything perceived as gratuitous name-dropping will be frowned upon.

@GlobalMentalHealth - I think you could be competitive provided the fit at these programs is right for what you want to do (you don't really mention your training and career goals so I can only assume they're in line with what you've been doing). A few things to consider:
  • Is your master's thesis one of the publications you're developing right now? It's a little conspicuous that you wrote a thesis but never published it; however, maybe your goals at the time were less academic.
  • Having spread your research experiences across several labs, programs, and projects, you may be at a slight disadvantage compared to applicants who have had a chance to develop more long-term relationships with faculty PIs that result in progressive responsibilities, co-authorship on presentations, etc. In general, it's better to have a critical role in a smaller project than to be replaceable on a major project.
  • You've affiliated yourself with a number of name-brand institutions. There's nothing wrong with that, but be mindful of how others perceive these references and how you present them. Anything perceived as gratuitous name-dropping will be frowned upon.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, never published the thesis because my intent was not academia at that point.

I understand your point re: spreading over multiple projects. I've only been preparing for a application candidacy for about 16 months, so I've tended to say yes to whatever research opportunities presented themselves. My current fulltime work at the Global Mental Health Program is quite deep in terms of responsibilities and relationships with PIs.

And yes I'm always judicious about how I mention my affiliations. :)

Thanks again for your input.

Hello everyone! I just submitted my applications, but after seeing several posts of other potential PhD students' experiences, I am feeling a little less confident about my application. Part of me feels that I will regret sharing this, but I can't help but get an opinion.

Research Interests: Exploring mental illness, particularly psychoses, in an ethnic minority community and investigating cultural barriers that hinder access to mental health services; mental health stigma; cultural values of gender roles & expectations within minorities struggling with mental illness

• Education
    • Cumulative GPA: 3.74 (Dean's List for all semesters but 1; President's List 1 semester; other semester did not earn bc of family issues)
    • Psychology GPA: 3.9
    • Graduated [May 2016] Magna Cum Laude & 2 distinctions (Advanced Honors & Research Honors)
  • Research
    • Completed an honors thesis project and published in our institution's undergraduate research journal
    • 1.5 years at a neuroimaging lab inspecting fMRI of people with schizophrenia (PI of this lab was my thesis advisor)
    • Current: ~1 year at nonprofit organization working with low-income population who have experienced intimate partner violence or suicidal ideation (mostly African American women); combination of basic office work and recruiting study participants, administering assessments, data entry
    • Current: >1 year as lead assistant at lab investigating alcohol effects on men's bystander intervention for sexual aggression; drafting up a poster using lab's data for RSA 2017
    • Presented 3 posters, won first place for one of them (2 on my thesis, 1 on other)
  • Clinical
    • 4-5 months at pediatric psychology clinic where I drafted clinical interview write-ups, scored BASC-2 surveys, sat in on psychologist-client sessions, and basic office work
  • Teaching
    • Undergraduate TA for Cross-Cultural Psychology class; main tasks were to regulate major class projects & review essays
  • References
    • Director of nonprofit organization; used to be APA president
    • Thesis advisor, PhD
    • Lab director, PhD
  • GRE (The aspect in which I am most worried & embarrassed about and would likely hinder my chances of acceptance)
    • V: 149, Q: 147, AWA: 4.0
    • I took it twice, at least improved on my Q score, but I have always been terrible at standardized tests (even the SAT). My letter writers addressed this, but I did NOT address this in my SoP, just because there were mixed opinions about mentioning it...
  • Grad School Programs I Applied For...
    • University of Southern California (My top choice)
    • UNC Greensboro
    • Palo Alto University
    • UConn
    • UCLA (Regretted submitting this application)
    • University of Washington
    • University of Houston
    • UMass Boston

Hello everyone! I just submitted my applications, but after seeing several posts of other potential PhD students' experiences, I am feeling a little less confident about my application. Part of me feels that I will regret sharing this, but I can't help but get an opinion.

Research Interests: Exploring mental illness, particularly psychoses, in an ethnic minority community and investigating cultural barriers that hinder access to mental health services; mental health stigma; cultural values of gender roles & expectations within minorities struggling with mental illness

• Education
    • Cumulative GPA: 3.74 (Dean's List for all semesters but 1; President's List 1 semester; other semester did not earn bc of family issues)
    • Psychology GPA: 3.9
    • Graduated [May 2016] Magna Cum Laude & 2 distinctions (Advanced Honors & Research Honors)
  • Research
    • Completed an honors thesis project and published in our institution's undergraduate research journal
    • 1.5 years at a neuroimaging lab inspecting fMRI of people with schizophrenia (PI of this lab was my thesis advisor)
    • Current: ~1 year at nonprofit organization working with low-income population who have experienced intimate partner violence or suicidal ideation (mostly African American women); combination of basic office work and recruiting study participants, administering assessments, data entry
    • Current: >1 year as lead assistant at lab investigating alcohol effects on men's bystander intervention for sexual aggression; drafting up a poster using lab's data for RSA 2017
    • Presented 3 posters, won first place for one of them (2 on my thesis, 1 on other)
  • Clinical
    • 4-5 months at pediatric psychology clinic where I drafted clinical interview write-ups, scored BASC-2 surveys, sat in on psychologist-client sessions, and basic office work
  • Teaching
    • Undergraduate TA for Cross-Cultural Psychology class; main tasks were to regulate major class projects & review essays
  • References
    • Director of nonprofit organization; used to be APA president
    • Thesis advisor, PhD
    • Lab director, PhD
  • GRE (The aspect in which I am most worried & embarrassed about and would likely hinder my chances of acceptance)
    • V: 149, Q: 147, AWA: 4.0
    • I took it twice, at least improved on my Q score, but I have always been terrible at standardized tests (even the SAT). My letter writers addressed this, but I did NOT address this in my SoP, just because there were mixed opinions about mentioning it...
  • Grad School Programs I Applied For...
    • University of Southern California (My top choice)
    • UNC Greensboro
    • Palo Alto University
    • UConn
    • UCLA (Regretted submitting this application)
    • University of Washington
    • University of Houston
    • UMass Boston

Most of your stuff looks really good, just a few points.

1. Your GRE scores are somewhat concerning, being 42nd and 27th percentiles. Some programs, especially the more competitive and popular ones, might screen you out based on them or you may just not be as competitive as other people with similar backgrounds and really good scores. It really all depends on how exactly individual programs use GRE scores and who else is applying to the same programs you are. Having you references address this and having good Psych and cumulative GPAs will help, I just don't know if it will be enough. Also, how did your references address this area? Did they mention you are generally "terrible" at taking standardized tests life you said or just that they don't reflect your academic ability? The former might be problematic, as there are plenty of other standardized tests involved with doctoral programs and being a psychologist, from comprehensive exams to the EPPP to jurisprudence exams. If the programs think that you can't pass those kinds of required exams, that might hurt you.

2. You didn't seem to apply to all that many programs and the ones you did seem to be mostly located on the coasts. These are very popular and competitive programs and geographic areas. Focusing so heavily on them just makes it that much harder to get in, even for the most stellar candidates. UNC Greensboro was a good choice to diversify your application list, but Palo Alto should be a non-start, because it's unfunded. Applying to more programs in general and more specifically applying to less competitive programs like Greensboro would have been more ideal.

3. Why do you regret applying to UCLA?

You didn't seem to apply to all that many programs and the ones you did seem to be mostly located on the coasts.

Agreed; I would have suggested adding several more programs in the "solid but not top-tier" range.

Most of your stuff looks really good, just a few points.

1. Your GRE scores are somewhat concerning, being 42nd and 27th percentiles. Some programs, especially the more competitive and popular ones, might screen you out based on them or you may just not be as competitive as other people with similar backgrounds and really good scores. It really all depends on how exactly individual programs use GRE scores and who else is applying to the same programs you are. Having you references address this and having good Psych and cumulative GPAs will help, I just don't know if it will be enough. Also, how did your references address this area? Did they mention you are generally "terrible" at taking standardized tests life you said or just that they don't reflect your academic ability? The former might be problematic, as there are plenty of other standardized tests involved with doctoral programs and being a psychologist, from comprehensive exams to the EPPP to jurisprudence exams. If the programs think that you can't pass those kinds of required exams, that might hurt you.

2. You didn't seem to apply to all that many programs and the ones you did seem to be mostly located on the coasts. These are very popular and competitive programs and geographic areas. Focusing so heavily on them just makes it that much harder to get in, even for the most stellar candidates. UNC Greensboro was a good choice to diversify your application list, but Palo Alto should be a non-start, because it's unfunded. Applying to more programs in general and more specifically applying to less competitive programs like Greensboro would have been more ideal.

3. Why do you regret applying to UCLA?

1. I think one of my references stated that I had a history of weak test-taking, but it does not reflect my academic ability...I'm not sure what my other reference stated. And I agree, my scores are definitely concerning, and I feel that they will be the main reason that I do not get an interview invite...however, my references keep assuring me that I just *might* have a chance and that I should not give up. Though I have submitted my applications already, I am conflicted.

2. I realized that most are on the coast, but I surprisingly have not found very many schools with POIs that had similar research interests. Either they weren't accepting students, or they were in Counseling Psychology rather than Clinical Psychology. I was unsure as to whether I should have applied for Counseling Psychology, because I was already set on Clinical...

3. Haha, well I consider UCLA to be extremely competitive and, with GRE scores like mine, I'm 99.9% sure that I will not get in. It was one of the most expensive application fees, but I still submitted an application because I figured if I already paid to have my GRE scores sent there, and my letter writers have already submitted letters, it wouldn't be fair for me to NOT submit an application.

Any takers on this one? I have most of my applications in now and am trying to stave off despair/panic/apocalyptic meltdown (okay... I am being a liiiiiiittle bit hyperbolic.... but... eek!). I guess I will know soon enough

Potential issues - you're still a bit low on finished products (posters and papers), at least compared to some of your fellow applicants to the stronger programs on your list. Works in progress don't count for much. It would be nice to have submitted something for publication, or even have a conference abstract accepted, by the time you interview. It's a plus that time has passed since undergrad and you have a more recent academic record, but the 3.67 master's GPA could be tricky, depending on how many B grades you have on your transcript (not such a big deal to have 1 B or maybe 2, but more than that could be a problem).

I started with the critique first, but in fact you've put in a lot of work and you're in a much better position now than you were the first time you applied. It sounds like you have strong recommendation letters and enough facility with research methods to have a productive conversation about your interests and what you want from your training. You seem like the type of applicant who needs a foot in the door in order to shine on the interview. It takes a lot of commitment to shift gears and dedicate yourself to a new field, and you've done so thoughtfully. I think you'll get interviews.

2. I realized that most are on the coast, but I surprisingly have not found very many schools with POIs that had similar research interests. Either they weren't accepting students, or they were in Counseling Psychology rather than Clinical Psychology. I was unsure as to whether I should have applied for Counseling Psychology, because I was already set on Clinical...
There's not really any difference in the training provided by clinical psych and counseling psych programs these days. They all have to meet APA requirements. As long as a program has someone you're interested in working with, nearby training sites in your area of interest, and solid stats (e.g., match rate, funding, EPPP pass rate), I'd go for it.

There's not really any difference in the training provided by clinical psych and counseling psych programs these days. They all have to meet APA requirements. As long as a program has someone you're interested in working with, nearby training sites in your area of interest, and solid stats (e.g., match rate, funding, EPPP pass rate), I'd go for it.

While I agree in most cases, I would add a caveat in terms of neuro research and training. It's hard to find a counseling program with solid training in teh neuropsych realm, outside of maybe U of Houston's program.

Potential issues - you're still a bit low on finished products (posters and papers), at least compared to some of your fellow applicants to the stronger programs on your list. Works in progress don't count for much. It would be nice to have submitted something for publication, or even have a conference abstract accepted, by the time you interview. It's a plus that time has passed since undergrad and you have a more recent academic record, but the 3.67 master's GPA could be tricky, depending on how many B grades you have on your transcript (not such a big deal to have 1 B or maybe 2, but more than that could be a problem).

I started with the critique first, but in fact you've put in a lot of work and you're in a much better position now than you were the first time you applied. It sounds like you have strong recommendation letters and enough facility with research methods to have a productive conversation about your interests and what you want from your training. You seem like the type of applicant who needs a foot in the door in order to shine on the interview. It takes a lot of commitment to shift gears and dedicate yourself to a new field, and you've done so thoughtfully. I think you'll get interviews.

Synesthetics also mentioned they were doing part-time research with their former professor for a "few years" after graduating undergrad. Working in the same lab for so long without any publications or presentations might make admissions committees question how significantly involved one actually was in the lab and what their duties were. You'd think there would be some form of productivity coming from the lab over such long time and that being in the lab for years would result in greater responsibilities and contributions for lab members, at least enough to be named in a publication or poster presentation. Hopefully their full-time research, which seems very good, compensates for that. Heck, everything else seems quite good, and they applied broadly and relatively diversely, so they'll probably get some interviews.

Here I am, intending to apply to grad school for a PsyD, clinical psych....and I need some direction.
On paper, I am not as strong contender as other applicants and I have been told that it is in my statement of purpose where I can explain those areas of weakness and highlight my strengths. I feel if I get the chance at an interview, I would surely make a positively strong impact on my application...

Graduating in the Summer 2017 with a BA in Psychology.
GPA: ~ 3.5
Units: ~ 218
GRE: n/a, taking it on the 14th
Psych GRE: none (had surgery instead)
Volunteer work: 2 crisis hotlines, (still in training but hoping it will count by the time of enrollment in Fall 2017), and other tutor/mentor stuff

I have so many qualities: a great writer, a big thinker, open-minded, supremely passionate, hard-working, self-made intellectual with a highly empathetic personal quality. I am 25 now and since I transferred out of community college into a state university, I have showed much more consistency with my grades. They are mostly A's, some B's, like they used to be when I was an honors student in high school. My issue before was that I did not drop classes when I honestly knew I could not complete them due to personal issues and struggles. Since my 2nd year, (I am 5th year in attending college) I have been paying for my own schooling and living expenses. I have had many jobs since high school and independence has offered me great experiences outside of academia.

Professors are willing to write me letters of rec. and I am told by others how great I will be at being a therapist.
I am looking forward to the stress of grad school and know that I am worthy of a seat...but is it worth spending all this money and stress to apply now instead of waiting a year and gaining some more research/practice BEFORE applying? Where do I stand with respects to other applicants....In reading other's posts, I feel like I may have my answer already...*sigh*

Thanks in advance to whomever sheds light on my inquiry.

Here I am, intending to apply to grad school for a PsyD, clinical psych....and I need some direction.
On paper, I am not as strong contender as other applicants and I have been told that it is in my statement of purpose where I can explain those areas of weakness and highlight my strengths. I feel if I get the chance at an interview, I would surely make a positively strong impact on my application...

Graduating in the Summer 2017 with a BA in Psychology.
GPA: ~ 3.5
Units: ~ 218
GRE: n/a, taking it on the 14th
Psych GRE: none (had surgery instead)
Volunteer work: 2 crisis hotlines, (still in training but hoping it will count by the time of enrollment in Fall 2017), and other tutor/mentor stuff

I have so many qualities: a great writer, a big thinker, open-minded, supremely passionate, hard-working, self-made intellectual with a highly empathetic personal quality. I am 25 now and since I transferred out of community college into a state university, I have showed much more consistency with my grades. They are mostly A's, some B's, like they used to be when I was an honors student in high school. My issue before was that I did not drop classes when I honestly knew I could not complete them due to personal issues and struggles. Since my 2nd year, (I am 5th year in attending college) I have been paying for my own schooling and living expenses. I have had many jobs since high school and independence has offered me great experiences outside of academia.

Professors are willing to write me letters of rec. and I am told by others how great I will be at being a therapist.
I am looking forward to the stress of grad school and know that I am worthy of a seat...but is it worth spending all this money and stress to apply now instead of waiting a year and gaining some more research/practice BEFORE applying? Where do I stand with respects to other applicants....In reading other's posts, I feel like I may have my answer already...*sigh*

Thanks in advance to whomever sheds light on my inquiry.

Wait, so you're applying for programs to start in fall 2017, but you haven't even taken the general GRE yet? What's the rush?

How much research experience do you have?

Why a PsyD instead of PhD?

What do you want to do for a career? In what contexts and environments do you see yourself working?

Wait, so you're applying for programs to start in fall 2017, but you haven't even taken the general GRE yet? What's the rush?

How much research experience do you have?

Why a PsyD instead of PhD?

What do you want to do for a career? In what contexts and environments do you see yourself working?

I wanted to take the GRE sooner, but I had surgery in the Summer and a test like that...I needed time. I didn't see it being a problem so long as I got the scores in time, (and presumably, that I'd do well).

Research experience will be the 2 labs I must complete in school before graduating. I'll have my manuscripts, then. I was told that this, coupled with my 2 crisis hotline volunteer jobs, would be adequate for admission into the PsyD program.

The rush...is that I wish to be in the position to begin my life's work, to establish a savings account, to feel accomplished...

PsyD because I want to focus more on practice, but still do some research. There are plenty of others on the PhD route; my usefulness is best in a therapeutic setting. I have looked through a random slew of people's experiences of disappointment with their therapists and also have been told by professors that there needs to be more of "my kind" in the field. Time is also a factor but not the primary reason.

I envision my career to be a therapist that people want to go to, who will understand them, who will help them. I grew up misunderstood and neglected emotionally/mentally. I want to be there for others because no one was there for me. Just as important, I want to contribute to the field by founding a new theory, a new application to understanding the mind and how to better one's existence with a mental disorder such as depression and anxiety. An unbelievable number of people suffer with these disorders, now more than ever before in history...I understand why that is; I want to find an answer that could help many in the meanwhile of working with a few at a time on a personal level. Help people and contribute to the field, that's my prerogative. When I try to explain this answer, like in my statement of purpose, I find it so difficult not to sound so cliché...But how do you stand out amongst the thousands before you who have said the same thing. These are the main points for wanting to be a doctor, are they not?

I see myself working part of a civil law firm so that I may be referred clients as a way to build rapport before someday owning my own practice. In that time, I will begin practice with adolescents and family therapy while I work in some research team within that subgenre. Individual therapy and couple's counseling would be added to my areas of interest and research in those areas would be completed, similarly.

My approach would be of a gestalt mindset: tailor the therapy to the needs and capabilities of the client within my range of abilites to perform them.

.....Anways, I can't tell if I'm ready to move up and I am simply anxious and needing to believe in myself....or I truly know in my gut that I'm not qualified just yet.

PsyD because I want to focus more on practice, but still do some research.

Just an FYI, this is the majority of PhD grads. The reputable PsyDs are fine, but I would expand your search and look at some clinical and counseling PhDs as well. No need to unnecessarily limit your options, especially when many of those options are fully funded.

Just an FYI, this is the majority of PhD grads. The reputable PsyDs are fine, but I would expand your search and look at some clinical and counseling PhDs as well. No need to unnecessarily limit your options, especially when many of those options are fully funded.

I suppose it comes down to sacrificing time to save a boatload of money... I have been informed of this route... I supposed it's the wisest.
Any reason how anyone could truly argue that the PsyD program is better in comparison to a mixed program? Maybe I really should re-reevaluate this route...

I suppose it comes down to sacrificing time to save a boatload of money... I have been informed of this route... I supposed it's the wisest.
Any reason how anyone could truly argue that the PsyD program is better in comparison to a mixed program? Maybe I really should re-reevaluate this route...

Nope, balanced PhDs and reputable PsyDs are very similar in training these days. I'd urge looking at multiple options (clinical PhDs, Counseling PhDs, reputable PsyDs) to maximize your chances.

Nope, balanced PhDs and reputable PsyDs are very similar in training these days. I'd urge looking at multiple options (clinical PhDs, Counseling PhDs, reputable PsyDs) to maximize your chances.

Great, thank you for the insight! Options help...

So, in your opinion, on the matter of applying this year or waiting for next year...?

Great, thank you for the insight! Options help...

So, in your opinion, on the matter of applying this year or waiting for next year...?

Not knowing what the GRE scores are, limited research experience so far, and not having a list of potential programs and potential POI's, using this next year to do some research and soul searching, applying in Fall 2017 for admission in 2018 would be my advice.

I wanted to take the GRE sooner, but I had surgery in the Summer and a test like that...I needed time. I didn't see it being a problem so long as I got the scores in time, (and presumably, that I'd do well).

Research experience will be the 2 labs I must complete in school before graduating. I'll have my manuscripts, then. I was told that this, coupled with my 2 crisis hotline volunteer jobs, would be adequate for admission into the PsyD program.

How long have you been in these labs? Are these the professional labs of your professors or is this your senior thesis or something else? When you say you'll have manuscripts, do you intend to publish them and/or present them at conferences? Do you feel that they are scholarly and professional enough to be published?

The rush...is that I wish to be in the position to begin my life's work, to establish a savings account, to feel accomplished...

Ok, but is the haste of getting started ASAP worth the debt involved with many PsyD programs?

PsyD because I want to focus more on practice, but still do some research.

Others here have already discussed this, but this is a popular misconception about the field and PhD and PsyD degrees. Honestly, I'm fairly certain that the programs at FSPS and other unfunded programs with poor outcomes push taht narrative to justify their existences and enrollment.

There are plenty of others on the PhD route; my usefulness is best in a therapeutic setting. I have looked through a random slew of people's experiences of disappointment with their therapists and also have been told by professors that there needs to be more of "my kind" in the field. Time is also a factor but not the primary reason. I envision my career to be a therapist that people want to go to, who will understand them, who will help them.

Look, passion is great, but you need to keep some perspective. It's nice that your professors are so encouraging, but you don't have any experience providing therapy and it takes more than passion and empathy. If you are in such a rush to be involved in therapy, maybe a master's in counseling might be better for you. It's far less time, energy, and money than a PsyD program.

I grew up misunderstood and neglected emotionally/mentally. I want to be there for others because no one was there for me.

Yes, there are many people in the mental health field who have histories of psychological issues and psychopathology, but you have to ask yourself why you are doing this. If it's a way for you to work out some remaining issues from your childhood, a doctoral program isn't really the best place to do that. That's not to say that they are mutually exclusive, it's that this kind of motivation isn't always helpful, nor is it always conducive to the rigors of doctoral programs.

Just as important, I want to contribute to the field by founding a new theory, a new application to understanding the mind and how to better one's existence with a mental disorder such as depression and anxiety.

Again, passion and idealism are great, but you need to temper them with reality. Most psychologists are not going to be developing revolutionary theories or innovative therapies that revolutionize the field. Psychology and other sciences generally work by incremental advances in research collaboration by many researchers. Huge paradigm shifts are exceedingly rare. For every Madam Curie, BF Skinner, Aaron Beck, and Watson and Crick, there are millions of researchers that toil in relative obscurity. You should look into taking a philosophy of science course if there are any available at your university.

An unbelievable number of people suffer with these disorders, now more than ever before in history...I understand why that is; I want to find an answer that could help many in the meanwhile of working with a few at a time on a personal level.

Uhh, source? I'm not sure that this is necessarily true or that we could ever really have a definitive answer to such an issue. There just isn't enough historical epidemiological data and research available.

Help people and contribute to the field, that's my prerogative. When I try to explain this answer, like in my statement of purpose, I find it so difficult not to sound so cliché...But how do you stand out amongst the thousands before you who have said the same thing. These are the main points for wanting to be a doctor, are they not?

It's fine to sound cliche when you're this young and still in undergrad. What you should take away from this is not about being "cliche," but rather about the need to refine your interests for your doctoral education. Most reputable programs operate on a mentor model, so you need to match interests with a particular faculty member in the program. This is both for admission purposes and so that you don't spend years hating what you're doing.

I see myself working part of a civil law firm so that I may be referred clients as a way to build rapport before someday owning my own practice. In that time, I will begin practice with adolescents and family therapy while I work in some research team within that subgenre. Individual therapy and couple's counseling would be added to my areas of interest and research in those areas would be completed, similarly.

I don't know that law firms really employ psychologists as full time employees, only the biggest law firms would have those kinds of resources to compete with the remuneration of other employers (except for the kinds of places where graduates from unaccredited programs and internships end up). Some are on retainer or contract as expert witnesses, which is good if you're looking to focus on forensic psych, but they aren't there to provide therapy for clients. Similarly, if you want to do research, a law firm isn't really the place. It's just isn't their purpose and they don't have the resources and institutional support you would need to do research of any significance.

Last edited:
Thank you for your extensive general assessment. I appreciate the time it took for you to help me understand some things in more depth. I will take much into concideration along with my other thoughts.

All that I mentioned came from a sound thought or discussion from credible sources. My interest in psychology is beyond resolving my past issues; my perogative is to use what I have and will learn and understand to better convey those ideas to help others do the same for themselves.

A year to clearly define and solidify my objective is probably what is best. A soufflé only rises when the temperature = time, damn near perfectly.

Aside from time and money, energy is not my issue. If you agreed that I seem to exude passion--- I will affirm that fact and raise it one more level: I may dream too big for a stranger to understand but I know I bring an insight that is profoundly different than most people you and I will ever meet.

I simply need to harness control of my focus, balance my needs vs. my wants...sometimes the passion and drive needs to be tamed a bit to stand within the grounds of the limits of our systematic reality.

Maybe...I've always understood that I wasn't ready, just yet.

Thank you for your extensive general assessment. I appreciate the time it took for you to help me understand some things in more depth. I will take much into concideration along with my other thoughts.

All that I mentioned came from a sound thought or discussion from credible sources. My interest in psychology is beyond resolving my past issues; my perogative is to use what I have and will learn and understand to better convey those ideas to help others do the same for themselves.

A year to clearly define and solidify my objective is probably what is best. A soufflé only rises when the temperature = time, damn near perfectly.

Aside from time and money, energy is not my issue. If you agreed that I seem to exude passion--- I will affirm that fact and raise it one more level: I may dream too big for a stranger to understand but I know I bring an insight that is profoundly different than most people you and I will ever meet.

I simply need to harness control of my focus, balance my needs vs. my wants...sometimes the passion and drive needs to be tamed a bit to stand within the grounds of the limits of our systematic reality.

Maybe...I've always understood that I wasn't ready, just yet.

Please, for your own sake, don't write like this in any of your personal statements.

Please, for your own sake, don't write like this in any of your personal statements.

Why is it that people tend to come off so very rude online...For your own sake, I hope you are a more compassionate person than how you convey yourself online. You are a PRE-PSYCH??? Wow....You definitely stepped out of bounds when you touched a personal nerve in your initial posting. For my own sake, I would rather not converse with you any longer.

Psych.meout was actually just giving good advice. The phrases he quoted would be out of place and looked at in a negative light in many committees. While he could have been more specific about why not to write in a certain way in a personal statement, he was actually just trying to help you.

Psych.meout was actually just giving good advice. The phrases he quoted would be out of place and looked at in a negative light in many committees. While he could have been more specific about why not to write in a certain way in a personal statement, he was actually just trying to help you.

Exactly. I didn't get into more depth about it, because it was so late, but I was simply giving constructive advice on what to do and what not to do. And it's not something I came up with on my own, just google the "Kisses of Death" for personal statements.

Why is it that people tend to come off so very rude online...For your own sake, I hope you are a more compassionate person than how you convey yourself online. You are a PRE-PSYCH??? Wow....You definitely stepped out of bounds when you touched a personal nerve in your initial posting. For my own sake, I would rather not converse with you any longer.

Look, if this is your reaction to constructive criticism from an anonymous internet stranger, how are you going to take more serious criticism during supervision of your clinical training?

That you don't seem to take advice well (where exactly did I "touch a nerve?") and don't seem to understand how "compassion" and constructive criticism are not mutually exclusive should be a sign that you might not be ready for grad school. But, it's up to you, do what you want, write what you want, apply where you want. It's your life and you have to live with the consequences, I sure don't.

Hey! I'm only finishing up the first semester of my junior year, so I'm missing a bit of information. That being said, hopefully this post will give some insight on things that might be improved. A bit of backstory: I'm one of the first in my family to go to college and chose to go to a tiny religious college because they offered a full scholarship (humblebrag, but also saying that before things got messy I was a very strong student). I entered with a lot of college credits (~40) from dual-enrolled classes. I developed an autoimmune disease during my first semester there and had to leave the area for treatment, but my classes were transitioned to online and I spent the rest of my first year like that. I went back there in person first semester sophomore year, realized that I had made a huge mistake, and decided to transfer to a much larger (and more prestigious) school. If at all possible I would like to complete a Clinical Psyc PhD and eventually work in health psychology, specifically with those who have chronic physical health issues in tandem with mental health ailments.

Psychology major, double minor in statistics and in a chronic illness-related subject (vague for anonymity)

Cumulative GPA (including this semester's anticipated GPA): 3.6+
Psyc GPA: 3.6

Research:
Research assistant for a lab studying student attitudes toward mental health. Started this semester, will likely continue until graduation next spring
Research assistant for a lab studying a new form of psychotherapy. Starting next semester, will likely continue until graduation next spring

Volunteer:
Mentor for those struggling with similar autoimmune disease as I do. Began October this year, will continue indefinitely.

LORs:
At least 3 from faculty (one from previous school, two from this school). Others from non-faculty available if needed.

Other:
Member of psychology club
Member of school's club supporting women in math (anonymity again)
Will present findings from current research group at school's research symposium this year

Unrelated:
Summer internship for conservation work at a national park
Writing tutor internship (and experience as a writing tutor)
Work

Expected:
Higher GPA--general and in major--in upcoming semesters
Summer research internship in psychology (am applying for many for this summer)

I fully realize that the clinical psyc application process is grueling and that the above might not make the cut. If I'm already too far gone than at least let me down easy ;) I sincerely am passionate about the field and appreciate any at all advice and input. As far as specific schools go, as long as the program is reputable and the program prepares me well for health psyc I'd be happy.

I fully realize that the clinical psyc application process is grueling and that the above might not make the cut. If I'm already too far gone than at least let me down easy ;) I sincerely am passionate about the field and appreciate any at all advice and input. As far as specific schools go, as long as the program is reputable and the program prepares me well for health psyc I'd be happy.

You're not too far gone. However, if a clinical psych PhD is your goal, then my advice is to become more narrowly focused on that goal. You can drop all or most of the extracurriculars other than your research involvement. The significance of your clubs and volunteer work pale in relation to research experience. Clubs are mainly for networking anyway. Put in as much time in your labs as you can and be the "go-to" RA who always shows up, asks good questions, works hard, and makes few errors. Strive to keep your GPA high. See if you can take the GRE in summer so that you have time to re-take (if necessary) before applications are due. Mid-2017, start working on your SOP and letters of recommendation; the relationship of your work with your personal illness will be tricky to navigate well and you'll need lots of eyes and feedback on your statement.

Good luck!

You're not too far gone. However, if a clinical psych PhD is your goal, then my advice is to become more narrowly focused on that goal. You can drop all or most of the extracurriculars other than your research involvement. The significance of your clubs and volunteer work pale in relation to research experience. Clubs are mainly for networking anyway. Put in as much time in your labs as you can and be the "go-to" RA who always shows up, asks good questions, works hard, and makes few errors. Strive to keep your GPA high. See if you can take the GRE in summer so that you have time to re-take (if necessary) before applications are due. Mid-2017, start working on your SOP and letters of recommendation; the relationship of your work with your personal illness will be tricky to navigate well and you'll need lots of eyes and feedback on your statement.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the input, I'll try to apply this to my life as much as possible.

I was just about to say this, but you beat me to it. Lightafter, it's great to be passionate and to understand your clients. But, you really want to avoid writing like this in your SOP as it will be thrown out. Admission committees assume that all applicants are passionate, and are really focusing on what you will bring to the program/field. They don't want to read about your desire to help people because ALL applicants want to do this.

I was just about to say this, but you beat me to it. Lightafter, it's great to be passionate and to understand your clients. But, you really want to avoid writing like this in your SOP as it will be thrown out. Admission committees assume that all applicants are passionate, and are really focusing on what you will bring to the program/field. They don't want to read about your desire to help people because ALL applicants want to do this.

Exactly, and anyone can claim that they offer all these great things and passion, but what have you actually done to tangibly demonstrate them?

But their problem is not just excessive altruism. They also seem to have a problem of over confidence and are lacking in humility.

I may dream too big for a stranger to understand but I know I bring an insight that is profoundly different than most people you and I will ever meet.

This unique snowflake stuff demonstrates a lack of maturity and perspective necessary to handle the rigors of graduate school and be receptive to feedback and criticism. Just look at how they reacted when an internet stranger offered mild constructive criticism. It's a sense of entitlement that they are so great that the field needs them and they deserve to receive a spot in a doctoral program.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone,

I know this question has been asked a million times, but I'm wondering if you all are able to offer me some advice about getting into graduate school.

I have a less than competitive GPA (3.2). This is due to me working full time through college, taking a full class load to keep my lottery scholarship (all students with a 2.5+ get it, so it's nothing special), as well as volunteering as a crisis counselor, and getting research experience. I recognize working full time and taking on so many different things was not the best idea (but you gotta pay bills).

Is there anything I can do, or any advice you can give me about getting into graduate school?

This unique snowflake stuff demonstrates a lack of maturity and perspective necessary to handle the rigors of graduate school and be receptive to feedback and criticism. Just look at how they reacted when an internet stranger offered mild constructive criticism. It's a sense of entitlement that they are so great that the field needs them and they deserve to receive a spot in a doctoral program.

If I read a line like that in an app (and I have), my first thought would be "untrainable."

Hi everyone,

I know this question has been asked a million times, but I'm wondering if you all are able to offer me some advice about getting into graduate school.

I have a less than competitive GPA (3.2). This is due to me working full time through college, taking a full class load to keep my lottery scholarship (all students with a 2.5+ get it, so it's nothing special), as well as volunteering as a crisis counselor, and getting research experience. I recognize working full time and taking on so many different things was not the best idea (but you gotta pay bills).

Is there anything I can do, or any advice you can give me about getting into graduate school?

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/wamc-what-are-my-chances.686573/

Far more detail is needed with respect to the types of programs you are planning to apply to, your research productivity, GRE scores, etc.

Hi everyone,

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread

Hey everyone! Second time applying and just as terrified as the first time (2012) was a pretty negative experience. I've thrown in a counseling program (NYU) but all others are clinical PhD. Since then I've gotten more experience and narrowed my interests to implementation and dissemination research, particularly tailoring culturally sensitive treatments for trauma and depression/suicide in hard to retain high-risk groups (but I have a few other routes I'd like to pursue so I'm not too rigid in this aspect). Good to very strong fit to all programs.

GRE: 161/155/4.0
GPA: Cruddy 3.49 overall but 3.73 last 2 years at a University with a well known psychology department
LORs: 3 fantastic letters from professors who are happy to go to bat for me, one of whom will explain the subpar grades (financial issues/unstable housing) of the first 2 years.
Pubs: 1 book chapter; no peer reviewed articles and only 2 in prep that I'm not listing on CV
Presentations: 4 first author - 1 at a national conference and 1 is my honors thesis
Fellowships: 2 NIH research fellowships in undergrad. Unfortunately none going into grad school but am planning to apply for next cycle so will mention this to POIs if I receive interviews.

Relevant Research:
- Study coordinator: 1 year in my current position. Lots of responsibilities and most relevant to POIs I applied to. Unfortunately its a small lab and I do so much that I've had little time to publish (supervisor will cover this in letter). I will be on 2 publications (3rd and 5th author I think) In the next month I believe so hopefully I can update my CV. However, I am consistently getting larger roles in projects so I may be able to co-create a few assessments/manual in the next few months.
- RA: 1 year and recently left. Great letter from here and where I had the publication and 2 presentations. Also relevant to the interests of some POIs
- RA: 3 years, 2 of which were with a NIH fellowship. PI knows me very well (6 years) and I had a presentation from the data here.
- Other summer and post-bac research experiences elaborated in CV

Relevant Clinical
- 6 months behavioral health coach (Autism/ADHD/Anxiety) for K through 1st grade and young adults.
- 1 year clinical intervention intern: Create and implement outreach events concerning mental and physical health concerns for college students.

Other: First person of my family to finish traditional high school and university, and only person to apply for graduate school.

Programs applied to (14): Drexel, Harvard, UConn, NYU, Harvard, UWash, UMiami, UNC Greneboro, UNC CHapel Hill, Penn State, Fordham, UMassBoston, USouth Cali, Rutgers.

Do I have any hope? My grades and GREs are nothing spectacular due to my average test taking skills (in my country multiple choice is far rarer) so I'm hoping my LORs, CV and SOP will get my foot in the door (I'm pretty good at interviewing :) ). However these are all great programs and there's always an impressive cohort so even with the strong fit I'm afraid my experience and grades might mean a third round for me. Give it to me straight and thanks for all your help everyone!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Second time applying and just as terrified as the first time (2012) was a pretty negative experience. I've thrown in a counseling program (NYU) but all others are clinical PhD. Since then I've gotten more experience and narrowed my interests to implementation and dissemination research, particularly tailoring culturally sensitive treatments for trauma and depression/suicide in hard to retain high-risk groups (but I have a few other routes I'd like to pursue so I'm not too rigid in this aspect). Good to very strong fit to all programs.

GRE: 161/155/4.0
GPA: Cruddy 3.49 overall but 3.73 last 2 years at a University with a well known psychology department
LORs: 3 fantastic letters from professors who are happy to go to bat for me, one of whom will explain the subpar grades (financial issues/unstable housing) of the first 2 years.
Pubs: 1 book chapter; no peer reviewed articles and only 2 in prep that I'm not listing on CV
Presentations: 4 first author - 1 at a national conference and 1 is my honors thesis
Fellowships: 2 NIH research fellowships in undergrad. Unfortunately none going into grad school but am planning to apply for next cycle so will mention this to POIs if I receive interviews.

Relevant Research:
- Study coordinator: 1 year in my current position. Lots of responsibilities and most relevant to POIs I applied to. Unfortunately its a small lab and I do so much that I've had little time to publish (supervisor will cover this in letter). I will be on 2 publications (3rd and 5th author I think) In the next month I believe so hopefully I can update my CV. However, I am consistently getting larger roles in projects so I may be able to co-create a few assessments/manual in the next few months.
- RA: 1 year and recently left. Great letter from here and where I had the publication and 2 presentations. Also relevant to the interests of some POIs
- RA: 3 years, 2 of which were with a NIH fellowship. PI knows me very well (6 years) and I had a presentation from the data here.
- Other summer and post-bac research experiences elaborated in CV

Relevant Clinical
- 6 months behavioral health coach (Autism/ADHD/Anxiety) for K through 1st grade and young adults.
- 1 year clinical intervention intern: Create and implement outreach events concerning mental and physical health concerns for college students.

Other: First person of my family to finish traditional high school and university, and only person to apply for graduate school.

Programs applied to (14): Drexel, Harvard, UConn, NYU, Harvard, UWash, UMiami, UNC Greneboro, UNC CHapel Hill, Penn State, Fordham, UMassBoston, USouth Cali, Rutgers.

Do I have any hope? My grades and GREs are nothing spectacular due to my average test taking skills (in my country multiple choice is far rarer) so I'm hoping my LORs, CV and SOP will get my foot in the door (I'm pretty good at interviewing :) ). However these are all great programs and there's always an impressive cohort so even with the strong fit I'm afraid my experience and grades might mean a third round for me. Give it to me straight and thanks for all your help everyone!

I would say you have a good shot this time around, although the GRE is a little lower than what I've heard some programs want (general cutoff for top programs is 320 combined)... that being said, you have a ton of experiences and that should definitely make up for it.

Of note regarding your schools: if you haven't already heard back from USouth Cali, you likely did not receive an interview offer there. I received an offer to interview last week, and the interview day is 1/13/17 (so coming up fast).

Best of luck to you in this process! :)

I would say you have a good shot this time around, although the GRE is a little lower than what I've heard some programs want (general cutoff for top programs is 320 combined)... that being said, you have a ton of experiences and that should definitely make up for it.

Of note regarding your schools: if you haven't already heard back from USouth Cali, you likely did not receive an interview offer there. I received an offer to interview last week, and the interview day is 1/13/17 (so coming up fast).

Best of luck to you in this process! :)

I just messaged you when I saw the alert! Thanks and best of luck to you too. Its kind of a bummer to have one app knocked out so quickly but I'll keep focused on the rest.