WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdudeoutwest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a 20-something, male, Hispanic, Texas resident with ~30 W grades due to cancer, 1 major IA (flunked out of college first time around), a 3.2 uGPA, a 3.42 cGPA, a 4.0 postbacc GPA, and a 4.0 sGPA. I have OK extracurriculars in terms of sports and 600+ hours of volunteering, but I don't have any research.

WAMC? Where should I apply? I'm planning to take the May MCAT and have no idea how I will do. I'm worried because they aren't releasing scores until June 30, which I know is after the AMCAS application deadline of June 1.

I have a particular interest in Christian medical schools, particularly Loma Linda and Creighton, but I understand that they prefer Catholic and Seventh Day Adventist students, when I identify with the LDS faith.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Without an MCAT score, it's premature to develop a school list. Keep in mind that "Christian" schools, like Loma Linda, and the Jesuit institutions: Creighton, SLU, Loyola, and Georgetown, have a mission to train docs with humanistic ideals. You haven't specifically mentioned any long-term nonmedical community service to those in need (which may or may not be blended in with the 600 volunteering hours), which they'd be looking for (without regard to your religious affiliation, in the latter instances). Texas schools find that type of experience appealing as well, BTW. As would UUtah, and Rush, and USCalifornia.

The first week of June is the soonest you can submit the AMCAS application; it is not the deadline date. You can fill it out starting early in May. You will have your May MCAT score back before any school receives verified applications from AMCAS (traditionally at the end of June), and they will tell you the percentile rank where your score lies a few weeks before that, so you can target suitable schools before the score is known. If you submit early, to, say, one school so the transcripts are verified, you will have zero disadvantage.

Do you have some dedicated physician shadowing?

Which Hispanic community do you represent, and what is your level of Spanish-language fluency?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for your reply, Mr. Catalystik.

Yes, I have over 1000 hours of shadowing as well as a completed LDS mission to Argentina. I'm Mexican-Honduran and completely fluent in Spanish (native speaker).

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a native speaker of Spanish with Mexican heritage will be helpful.

How much of the shadowing is with US physicians at US facilities, and what specialties were included in your experience? 1000 hours is way more than you need, considering that about 50 is the average. How did you happen to get so many? And what is your experience actively engaging sick folks in a helpful way, as opposed to watching their conversations with the doctor?

Did your mission include any peer leadership or teaching that you can split out and list separately? What community service did you engage in during that time (I am not referring to "conversion" activities)?

100% agree with the Cat.
Best chances will be with TX schools.

Without an MCAT score, it's premature to develop a school list. Keep in mind that "Christian" schools, like Loma Linda, and the Jesuit institutions: Creighton, SLU, Loyola, and Georgetown, have a mission to train docs with humanistic ideals. You haven't specifically mentioned any long-term nonmedical community service to those in need (which may or may not be blended in with the 600 volunteering hours), which they'd be looking for (without regard to your religious affiliation, in the latter instances). Texas schools find that type of experience appealing as well, BTW. As would UUtah, and Rush, and USCalifornia.

The first week of June is the soonest you can submit the AMCAS application; it is not the deadline date. You can fill it out starting early in May. You will have your May MCAT score back before any school receives verified applications from AMCAS (traditionally at the end of June), and they will tell you the percentile rank where your score lies a few weeks before that, so you can target suitable schools before the score is known. If you submit early, to, say, one school so the transcripts are verified, you will have zero disadvantage.

Do you have some dedicated physician shadowing?

Which Hispanic community do you represent, and what is your level of Spanish-language fluency?

Reactions: 1 users