WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stew1386

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker seeking some feedback on my school list for the next cycle! Any and all advice is appreciated.

cGPA and sGPA
Double Major in Chemistry and Biology
c/sGPA:4.0
MCAT score(s) and breakdown
515 (132,124,131,128)
State of residence
Ohio
Ethnicity and/or race
White male
Undergraduate institution or category
The Ohio State University
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
Volunteering at local hospital (8 semesters, 300 hours)
Research experience and productivity
Bench research in drug discovery lab, acknowledged in paper, 1 poster. (~1000 hours)
Shadowing experience and specialties represented
Emergency Medicine (100 hours), Pediatrics (15 hours), Cardiovascular Surgery (20 hours)
Non-clinical volunteering
Big Brothers and Big Sisters (100 hours), Misc. for scholarship organization (~50 hours)
Other extracurricular activities
Golf Caddie/Bag Room Staff (~300 hours)
General Chemistry Teaching Assistant (8 semesters total, ~800 hours)
Taking a gap year to teach, save money, and continue with research and volunteering.
Relevant honors or awards
Deans List 8 Consecutive Semesters
Recipient of the Charles E. Chick Evans Caddie Scholarship, which is a full ride scholarship given to golf caddies who demonstrate leadership, academic success, a strong caddie record and financial need in high school.
School List:
Case Western
Ohio State
NEO Med
Toledo
Cincinnati
Wright State
Albert Einstein
Boston U
Columbia (maybe?)
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Georgetown
Mount Sinai
Hofstra
Mayo(maybe?)
NYU
Northwestern
Penn State
UPenn
St. Louis
Tufts
Pritzker
UMichigan
Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
Cornell(maybe?)

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if your list might be a bit top-heavy, given that 124. Wait for Grapes, Goro, or Gyngyn.

You have a good list and should receive interviews, especially from your Ohio schools. You have a few OOS reaches but it is OK to have reaches since you are competitive for your Ohio schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd cut half of the reaches, if you haven't already paid for the secondaries.
You should get into an OH school.
Thanks for the feedback, any schools that you feel are unlikely to yield success from my list of OOS reaches?

You have a good list and should receive interviews, especially from your Ohio schools. You have a few OOS reaches but it is OK to have reaches since you are competitive for your Ohio schools.
Thanks for the advice, do you feel I have too many?