This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
c9a44666b77a955923fb3f48fdf2e7ee.jpg

vpm.jpg

tumblr_n5s3w8k9XU1s04qyio5_500.png

cute-bee-andre-goncalves.jpg

Mfw+cute+bugs+_c1834d89db692967779456b5c6b55839.jpg

"So cute!"

When is the world gonna have bug vets? lol

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
c9a44666b77a955923fb3f48fdf2e7ee.jpg

vpm.jpg

tumblr_n5s3w8k9XU1s04qyio5_500.png

cute-bee-andre-goncalves.jpg

Mfw+cute+bugs+_c1834d89db692967779456b5c6b55839.jpg

"So cute!"

When is the world gonna have bug vets? lol

OMG!! I was going to take entomology next semester, but I am taking ichthyology instead... I am happy about it because learning about fish will probably be more useful as a vet than learning about bugs, but I am sad because I love bugs!!

Reactions: 1 user
OMG!! I was going to take entomology next semester, but I am taking ichthyology instead... I am happy about it because learning about fish will probably be more useful as a vet than learning about bugs, but I am sad because I love bugs!!
We have an entomology class here, too; would've taken it in a heartbeat if only it were offered more than once every two years. We have ichthyology, but that's also only offered every few years. One of the cons of going to a small undergrad, I'spose. :annoyed:

I wish we had ornithology... :love:

Reactions: 1 users
I saw a praying mantis in the bushes the other day right outside of the animal science building.. I had a slight freak out moment and was really nerding out over this thing. It was so cute! And it had really interesting coloration for a praying mantis.
It was only until about 5 minutes later that I realized all the ag people sitting at the tables inside were looking at me like I was a complete psycho...

We have an entomology class here, too; would've taken it in a heartbeat if only it were offered more than once every two years. We also have ichthyology, but that's only offered every few years, too. One of the cons of going to a small undergrad, I'spose. :annoyed:

I wish we had ornithology... :love:

We have ornithology and it is a really cool class supposedly.. The students get to go on bird watching field trips. BUT instead of taking that class I took herpetology and am so happy I did because I LOVED it and we got to do some pretty neat stuff as well! I never knew how much I loved reptiles and amphibians before taking it :love: We also have mammalogy and that class requires lots of live-trapping then killing and stuffing... I was less interested in doing that lol. In herps, we caught so many species but after examining and learning, we got to let them go. I don't think I could have partook in killing and stuffing :/

I saw a praying mantis in the bushes the other day right outside of the animal science building.. I had a slight freak out moment and was really nerding out over this thing. It was so cute! And it had really interesting coloration for a praying mantis.
It was only until about 5 minutes later that I realized all the ag people sitting at the tables inside were looking at me like I was a complete psycho...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ww-huh-game-thread-sign-up.1050070/

Just today in Comparative Therio our prof told us a "fun fact" about praying mantis repro (that the female needs to break off part of the male genitalia in order for ejaculation to occur). So there is some bug stuff in vet school :p

Reactions: 2 users
Just today in Comparative Therio our prof told us a "fun fact" about praying mantis repro (that the female needs to break off part of the male genitalia in order for ejaculation to occur). So there is some bug stuff in vet school :p

That is so harsh! The females also bite the male's heads off and eat them after mating!! I sure am happy that we are not praying mantises...

Entomology was probably one, if not my favorite biology class in undergrad. I feel like it's one of the few classes from undergrad where I actually remember facts. Plus, I always get to use the "once I had pet Madagascar hissing cockroaches that I raced" as a fun fact.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is so harsh! The females also bite the male's heads off and eat them after mating!! I sure am happy that we are not praying mantises...
well, do you really think they want to live with broken genitalia? They are male, after all...

Reactions: 5 users

Entomology, specifically veterinary-medical entomology, is pretty important to the profession. Fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, keds, bots, mites, and so on. I love learning about arthropods and arthropod-borne diseases.

Entomology, specifically veterinary-medical entomology, is pretty important to the profession. Fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, keds, bots, mites, and so on. I love learning about arthropods and arthropod-borne diseases.

Yes! I am excited to learn about all of this! I was thinking more along the lines of "please help! My fish has a tumor!" since I have never heard of anyone bringing their pet roach or any other insect to the vet lol!
Do you take parasitology in vet school? I would imagine so. I learned A LOT about some parasitic bugs like ticks and mites in my undergrad parasitology class. Lots of internal parasite stuff too.

And so it was that one of the mods favourite rolls has been kilt... whoever did such a thing should pay....

Poor sweet Mantis..... all she wanted to do was spread love.... no wait that is totally wrong.... all she wanted to do was spread creepy nightmares to all the residents of Huh?... and she was quite talented at it.... with her revolting images and story lines that made your skin crawl..... oh what a fecked up little creature she was..... she died in a way that came right out of one of her nightmares... with a parasite implanted inside of her to slowly eat its way from the inside out then her eyeballs ripped out of her head and fed to her..... and finally her guts torn out and strewn across her like a fancy scarf.... oh the sweet agony

Lupin, the Mantis... was dead

On a more interesting note... we welcome a new resident to Huh?..... FFM comes to join us from another land.... YAY!

green-praying-mantis.jpg

Lynch Deadline is 12 AM EU-UK/ 7 PM EST / 4 PM PST

The Sperm Sea
:
1. @Chillbo Baggins
2. @ Lupin21 - Mantis
3. @Philliab
4. @kaydubs
5. @DocEspana

The Farting Forest:
1. @ StartingoverVet - Mantis Shrimp
2. @ LetItSnow - Owl
3. @dyachei
4. @shortnsweet
5. @ Lissarae06 - Dung Beetle

The Mating Marsh:
1. @ Frozenshades - Angler Fish
2. @ Jamr0ckin - Fruit Bat
3. @ SummerTheLynx - Tarsier
4. @ that redhead - Seahorse
5. @ MrsSOV - Duck

The Creepy Caves:
1. @Cyndia
2. @ tuckervet - Aye Aye
3. @equineconstant
4. @ orca2011 - Land Snail
5. @thedrjojo
6. @Flim Flam Man

last time to quote that message, promise.
Such a sad day in Huh-ville :(

I took entomology in my soph year, as a science elective just for funsies. Most of the people in there were either horticulture majors for whom it was a required class or actual entomology people, so the prof was like "what brings you here" at first lol. I really loved it! It did involve us accumulating and presenting a labeled insect collection over the course of the semester, and I know I still have those bugs put up in a box somewhere. The prof offered me a student worker spot in the entomology department when the class ended, and I regret not taking him up on it, but I already had my job at the dairy building so I wasn't sure how to approach that :p

I'm not so sure about it being "less useful" for a vet than icthyology though, because parasitology ? Actually that's pretty interesting question for all vet school students/graduates, does the curriculum ever involve fish beyond a comparative sense, or is it only more of a niche thing for people in certain specialties like aquatics or research?

We have ornithology and it is a really cool class supposedly.. The students get to go on bird watching field trips. BUT instead of taking that class I took herpetology and am so happy I did because I LOVED it and we got to do some pretty neat stuff as well! I never knew how much I loved reptiles and amphibians before taking it :love: We also have mammalogy and that class requires lots of live-trapping then killing and stuffing... I was less interested in doing that lol. In herps, we caught so many species but after examining and learning, we got to let them go. I don't think I could have partook in killing and stuffing :/
I didn't know this :eek: I mean ento involves live-trapping insects in kill jars so you can collect them, but vertebrates??
LSU has all the -ologies. I really wanted to take herp-, ornith- or mammal, but I could never fit them into my schedule...scheduling electives was always a pain with all my ANSC classes that had separate lab hours which conflicted with everything :yeahright:

Also that ww game looks great. totally would have signed up for farting forest.

Yes! I am excited to learn about all of this! I was thinking more along the lines of "please help! My fish has a tumor!" since I have never heard of anyone bringing their pet roach or any other insect to the vet lol!
Do you take parasitology in vet school? I would imagine so. I learned A LOT about some parasitic bugs like ticks and mites in my undergrad parasitology class. Lots of internal parasite stuff too.

Oh yeah. Entire semester on Parasit here. Plus an elective on parasit of large animals I think.

I didn't know this :eek: I mean ento involves live-trapping insects in kill jars so you can collect them, but vertebrates??.

I was a little sad that my school didn't require trapping for mammalogy (to be fair, I took it when OSU moved from quarters to semesters and the course went from being a 10 week quarter to a 7 week half semester so time was very limited). We worked with pre-existing specimens in class and at the biodiversity museum which was okay, but you didn't learn the ins and outs of trapping and preserving which is kind of an art - just like it is in entomology.

I was a little sad that my school didn't require trapping for mammalogy (to be fair, I took it when OSU moved from quarters to semesters and the course went from being a 10 week quarter to a 7 week half semester so time was very limited). We worked with pre-existing specimens in class and at the biodiversity museum which was okay, but you didn't learn the ins and outs of trapping and preserving which is kind of an art - just like it is in entomology.
I had no idea mammalogy even involved trapping/preservation the way entomology does! What animals did it typically involve? Rodents? I guess I assumed it just involved fieldwork the way ornitho does.

I had no idea mammalogy even involved trapping/preservation the way entomology does! What animals did it typically involve? Rodents? I guess I assumed it just involved fieldwork the way ornitho does.

I just didn't think it was right to trap and kill and all of those animals semester after semester. At my school they trap lots of rodents, bobcats, coyotes, badgers, whatever else they could find. It just seemed so... wrong to me. The whole message behind it was just like, "hey, let's go learn about these beautiful animals and then screw with the ecosystem by trapping them and killing them, just so you can learn how to do something you will most likely never do again in your entire life". To each their own, though!
Dev, I would have definitely taken mammalogy if it didn't require all of that.. But a friend of mine who I work with at the wildlife center told me that you learn the same amount of info (if not more) in wildlife rehab without having to trap and kill. If something comes in that we have to euthanize, we can even do a necropsy if we want just for "fun".

The few people I've known from another school who had to collect specimens did mostly stuffed field mice, voles, shrews. They could also do skins for larger animals like rabbits, opossums, etc. I always wondered if those schools have smaller classes to facilitate an activity like that or a different class make up (like more people who were pursuing wildlife management/ecology careers).

We have a 1/3 of a semester of parasit 1st year, a whole semester 2nd year, and about 1/3 of semester of parasit labs 3rd year... Plus info about parasitology in some of the equine electives I've taken.

We have a 1/3 of a semester of parasit 1st year, a whole semester 2nd year, and about 1/3 of semester of parasit labs 3rd year... Plus info about parasitology in some of the equine electives I've taken.

Do you enjoy it?

We had a semester long class plus labs, then further lectures during our zoonotic disease class and required labs during our 4th year. I really loved parasit

Reactions: 1 users
The few people I've known from another school who had to collect specimens did mostly stuffed field mice, voles, shrews.
I took mammalogy in undergrad, and we went on one required weekend field trip that involved trapping and identifying small mammals, and we each skinned and stuffed one. IIRC it was mostly mice, and a few rats, voles and shrews. I don't think any of the groups caught anything larger, and if we had we probably would have let it go. My professor did the actual killing, but I thought the skinning and stuffing was actually pretty fun, and challenging! I think I still have pictures of my mouse on my phone, along with the pregnant rat one of my group members had. I don't think anyone in my class objected to going on the field trip and participating. :shrug: Overall mammalogy was one of my favorite classes in undergrad, even though it was difficult.

Yeah...I definitely registered in Mammology as one of the options for my bio degree thinking it was just standard studying of mammals. Lol. I switched into histo after fully realizing histo would be much more helpful.

Serious question for anyone who took mammalogy...were you able/allowed to keep whatever small animal(s) you stuffed? :p

Serious question for anyone who took mammalogy...were you able/allowed to keep whatever small animal(s) you stuffed? :p

At my school, the newly stuffed animals are stored in the museum basement, never to be seen again... :nod::hardy:

At my school, the newly stuffed animals are stored in the museum basement, never to be seen again... :nod::hardy:

Why does a class where you learn about mammals have you kill and stuff them? Is the class intended for people who want to be taxidermists?

Why does a class where you learn about mammals have you kill and stuff them? Is the class intended for people who want to be taxidermists?

Well, depending on the class, people learn about mammals in various ways, one of which is learning to use hides and skulls to key out species. That requires specimens, usually dead ones and, honestly, dead things are just easier to work with across the board. Basically, the trapping, killing, and preserving that some classes do is about building skills and learning how to properly source and document specimens which is an important activity for a person looking to go into certain types of research.... or museum curation...or really any number of fields that collect biological specimens. I know that I've seen numerous postings in the wildlife field looking specifically for people who can bring these types of hard skills into a research project. I actually know someone who will be starting a PhD who had to seek out someone with these types of skills to help with a project involving Lyme disease and white-footed mice because it's not a common skill set in our field (public health).

No, we had to turn them in for future classes to be able to look at. :(

I wonder how many specimens that get hoarded in museum basements/saved for future classes pile up over the years...