Want to do Neurosurgery, How?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imthatoneguy86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a new MS3 that just started my first rotation 2 weeks ago. I've been sold on going into neurosurgery for a few years now, since I was an undergrad. I wanted to ask your advice in terms of what things I would need to do to improve my chances of getting into a good program. I'm not sure as to what I should be doing this third year during the busy rotations. How much research is enough research and what board scores would give me a good shot. I just received my step 1 score and got a 247. I haven't been able to find residency numbers but I know neurosurg is really competitive, and was wondering if anyone knows the cut offs and such things. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Visit Uncleharvey.com. Its a neurosurgery specific forum and almost all your questions can be better answered there if they havent already.

I have a similar question and since uncleharvey is down it would be great if someone would be willing to give me some quick advice. I am an MS3 who has been very interested in NS since the beginning of med school, and I was wondering what exactly I should or could be doing the first half of third year to maximize my chances of improving my competitiveness for NS. I will have my surgery rotation in November/December, and I can choose to do my last 2 weeks on NS. However, I would think making myself at least somewhat known to higher ups in the department as soon as possible would be ideal. I shadowed a few days during MS1 and also for a week last winter (although that was a class so I was with several other students), so my face has been seen but I doubt remembered. I have had very little interaction with the PD, and it seems that one of the other attendings is much more involved with the med students. Are PDs or other attendings generally open to briefly sitting down with med students at this time and discussing what they should be focusing on and how best to become a more competitive applicant? Or is that something they would rather do when I rotate through surgery? Also, I did neuro basic science research last summer and this summer, and should get 1, maybe 2 publications from it soon, as well as some presentations & abstracts along the way. However, more is obviously better (as long as it's substantive) so should I be trying to get involved in some clinical research pretty soon? And who would be best to contact about an opportunity in that area, a resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question and since uncleharvey is down it would be great if someone would be willing to give me some quick advice. I am an MS3 who has been very interested in NS since the beginning of med school, and I was wondering what exactly I should or could be doing the first half of third year to maximize my chances of improving my competitiveness for NS. I will have my surgery rotation in November/December, and I can choose to do my last 2 weeks on NS. However, I would think making myself at least somewhat known to higher ups in the department as soon as possible would be ideal. I shadowed a few days during MS1 and also for a week last winter (although that was a class so I was with several other students), so my face has been seen but I doubt remembered. I have had very little interaction with the PD, and it seems that one of the other attendings is much more involved with the med students. Are PDs or other attendings generally open to briefly sitting down with med students at this time and discussing what they should be focusing on and how best to become a more competitive applicant? Or is that something they would rather do when I rotate through surgery? Also, I did neuro basic science research last summer and this summer, and should get 1, maybe 2 publications from it soon, as well as some presentations & abstracts along the way. However, more is obviously better (as long as it's substantive) so should I be trying to get involved in some clinical research pretty soon? And who would be best to contact about an opportunity in that area, a resident?
Why not kill two birds with one stone and ask your PD if he has any clinical research projects you can do? That way you can get to know him and show him you can get stuff done. These guys go into academic medicine for a reason, they want to teach medical students and help achieve their goals. Send him an email and see what he says.

Reactions: 1 user

Email any of the academic neurosurgeons running projects. Your school should have a faculty page that lists what each person it working on. Flood the inboxes and see who bites.

Reactions: 1 user