Want to go into neurology, and it's my 1st rotation - concerned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shibbyboi182

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ms2, soon-to-be MS3, and we just got our rotations assigned. I have neurology as my first major rotation after starting the year with a "fluffier" elective. Didn't plan this (I tried to put it later in the year), just the luck of the draw. I'm not thrilled about doing it first as I've been told every med student has kinks to work out at first as they learn the lay of the land on the wards.

I know we're all told that we're going to change our minds about what we wanna do, but I'm pretty sure this is what I want out of my career (I can provide reasons, but I figure no one wants to read a novel). So I feel like the stakes for doing well are very high.

What can I do to put myself in a position to succeed on the rotation? I'm in pretty heavy Step1 prep (2 months until test date), and am apprehensive about pulling much time from that. I was thinking of using downtime (nights) in the 3 1/2 weeks of my elective to prep for neuro, particularly the shelf and honing down the neurological exam.

Any advice, suggestions, or input? Maybe imaging? (we haven't had a ton of exposure to it in pre-clinicals)? I'd appreciate any input from your collective experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just concentrate on Step 1. If you have extra time after step then look at some neuro. Honestly, you just need a good attitude and an interest in the subject material to do well in neuro. Don't stress it.

Reactions: 1 user