want to know where you matched?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was able to get into my cache and history to view the source code. I'm glad I saw it now rather than with everyone at school on Friday, since I applied to 2 specialties and didn't want my classmates to speculate on my success.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody know a workaround to get the info off of safari?

Anybody know a workaround to get the info off of safari?

I looked through the cache using a program called SafariCacheExplorer... unfortunately my cache doesn't have anything from yesterday :(

These are instructions from the reddit thread. They will only work if you looked at your NRMP page after match results. Also, the information will look pretty jumbled, be ready to do some searching : http://www.reddit.com/r/medicalschool/comments/20p8ys/want_to_know_where_you_matched/

"
  1. Open a new page in Chrome, then put chrome://cache/ in the navbar.
  2. This will show a list of places you've navigated to. Search for r3.nrmp
  3. I'm not a student, so I'm sure which one of these is the right one, probably it will start with https and will be higher up in the list than the one that says http://r3.nrmp.org/auth/login[1] . So open one that's higher up than that, because they're in reverse order.
  4. Assuming I'm right about that, open up the one that's just above the one where you logged in. You'll see a bunch of numbers, then over on the right there will be a column with some text interspersed with strange characters, but there should be enough legible text that you can search and find where you matched. "

Thanks for your help! I did access the NRMP website on Monday after the "you've matched" notification, but I also accessed the NRMP website today. Keep looking in my cache and only r3.nrmp stuff from today is showing up. Did I totally screw myself over by visiting the NRMP website today and that somehow erased my cache from Monday? UGH if so :confused::(

I was able to get into my cache and history to view the source code. I'm glad I saw it now rather than with everyone at school on Friday, since I applied to 2 specialties and didn't want my classmates to speculate on my success.
Did you match your #1 specialty?

I believe the same thing happened to me. I accessed the NRMP website yesterday but because I logged in late today I think it's only keeping the later logins. Which makes no sense, because I have about a thousand facebook logins from today and yesterday all showing up.

UGH I think it's true, but need someone who knows more about this to confirm. If what we suspect is the case is true, I will be the saddest panda.

8.0 Match Violations

8.1 NRMP Violations Policies and Procedures

All Main Residency Match participants shall behave in an ethical and responsible manner during the matching process and the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP), and shall comply with the terms and conditions of this Agreement. It is the policy of the NRMP to investigate alleged breaches of this Agreement, including but not limited to: failure to provide complete, timely, and accurate information during interview, matching, and SOAP processes; discrepancies in graduation credentials; *********************attempts to *subvert* eligibility requirements, the matching process, or soap******************** ; failure to offer or accept an appointment as required by the results of a Match outcome; and any other irregular behavior or activity that occurs in connection with registration, the submission or modification of a rank order or SOAP preference list, and/or the participant's commitment to honor the Match outcome. Main Residency Match participants shall report to the NRMP any suspected violation of the applicable Match Participation Agreement.

Not sure if it can be considered a 'subversion....of the matching process', but I'd consider waiting until Friday regardless. You've been working toward this for years, and even if it's just 4 more days, well....it's just 4 more days. I never had a fake I'd, so when I turned 21, it made it that much sweeter. My friends that did have them didn't have the same experience, for example.

This is NOT subverting the match process.

They literally have an error on their website that shows where you matched. Searching for their errors is up to the person. It's definitely not spelled out like that.

Maybe if they said, "attempting to find out where you matched early if we screwed up."

They would have to be crazy to change the code right now... you never know what may happen and everybody know their match rank by now so who cares... they have a time until next year.

There is no way how they could know that you made such an "attempt" to web source code unless they hired IT experts to check the site prior.. but why to do that if they have problems even with finding an average IT coders .. right? don't worry ... nothing can f*** up just keep the result as a secret till friday

Not to mention thousands of people will have checked by tomorrow. In the FB/twitter era, information spreads fast.

The NRMP should probably at least either 1: let us all see our match results or 2: issue an official match violation to all the folks bragging that they know their result. It's unfair to let people get away with violating the match rules and then bragging about it.

Did you match your #1 specialty?

Nope, I got my #2 specialty. Hence, I'm super glad I found out about this now rather than at school where everyone would be harassing me with "omg, I'm shocked you didn't get xyz..." I'm still happy with where I ended up even though it's not my dream specialty, it's still a great program in a super fun city.

The NRMP should probably at least either 1: let us all see our match results or 2: issue an official match violation to all the folks bragging that they know their result. It's unfair to let people get away with violating the match rules and then bragging about it.

You must be fun at parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 11 users

I didn't get a chance to see my match either, but I definitely don't think match violations should be issued because the NRMP made a mistake. In my opinion, the NRMP SHOULD give us the option of knowing where we matched now that there are many applicants that know. It's really not fair to make some of us wait another few days while the lucky ones who know start securing housing, jobs for spouses, etc...

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think anyone is securing anything till we see it on that piece of paper. In reality it's just the difference of 4 days.

So people should be punished because you missed the boat? Yea, that sounds fair...

So knowing how to circumvent the match process schedule, since "everyone" is doing it, makes it okay? Glad to know ethics are well instilled in my future colleagues. The smart thing would be, if you dared, to look at your match and quit bragging about it. Keep it to yourself.

Last edited:
Nope, I got my #2 specialty. Hence, I'm super glad I found out about this now rather than at school where everyone would be harassing me with "omg, I'm shocked you didn't get xyz..." I'm still happy with where I ended up even though it's not my dream specialty, it's still a great program in a super fun city.

This. This right here is why it makes absolutely NO SENSE that we're forced to be with all of our peers when we find out where we matched. Can you think of the uproar that would transpire of the the NBME and medical schools forced a similar tradition for Step 1 scores? :eek:

I'm know I'm being extra whiny because I'm envious of the peeps who already know and because I want to know so badlyyyyy. But! I still feel like the point has some merit. Let us find out on Monday. Let the kids who have to SOAP, SOAP throughout the rest of the week. We have graduation to be together and celebrate our accomplishments and blah blah blah. Let us have some damn peace when we find out whether our dreams came true. UGH.

This. This right here is why it makes absolutely NO SENSE that we're forced to be with all of our peers when we find out where we matched. Can you think of the uproar that would transpire of the the NBME and medical schools forced a similar tradition for Step 1 scores? :eek:

I'm know I'm being extra whiny because I'm envious of the peeps who already know and because I want to know so badlyyyyy. But! I still feel like the point has some merit. Let us find out on Monday. Let the kids who have to SOAP, SOAP throughout the rest of the week. We have graduation to be together and celebrate our accomplishments and blah blah blah. Let us have some damn peace when we find out whether our dreams came true. UGH.
Is your school forcing you to attend match day?

1. Strictly speaking, no it's not 100% ethical. Obviously we aren't intended to look in the source code and following the "spirit of the law" we shouldn't have checked.

2. But seriously, NRMP and the match system has caused me thousands more in flight costs (I matched at one of my first interviews, and could have skipped a bunch if it were like medical school). They artificially extend the suspense. Somehow the guy making the algorithm won a nobel prize, which makes me wonder if nobel prizes were a whole lot easier to win back then or if there was more to his work. They are ****ing incompetent. **** it. I'm glad I checked.

Is your school forcing you to attend match day?

That's a good point, they're not. We could wait an hour and find out in the privacy of our own place then go out and celebrate with the class. Still think the tradition is ridiculous though when you try to think about having a similar ceremony for step 1 scores (which really is news that only approximates your future, vs match results, which is actually your future). And I'm being whiny, I'll own it.

FWIW, my sibling's school made match day mandatory. More like match morning - since the Hawaii kids find out at the same time as everyone which means 7am. But it's a smaller school with some state-specific traditions requiring family to be there, etc... (only in Hawaii, haha...every auntie and uncle and tutu have to be there to give you leis and good wishes).

On a totally unrelated note - I found a cache folder in my desktop files (not via chrome://cache/) from yesterday with a whole bunch of code from what is clearly the NRMP website. It's a huge file and searching terms like "all programs" or my #1-3 programs NRMP code gets me nowhere. Anyone have any suggestions, since it looked like I eff-ed up my chances of seeing the cache via chrome://cache/ by logging onto NRMP today? I have a feeling I'm beating a dead horse here, but it ain't like I'll be able to focus on anything else...

That's a good point, they're not. We could wait an hour and find out in the privacy of our own place then go out and celebrate with the class. Still think the tradition is ridiculous though when you try to think about having a similar ceremony for step 1 scores (which really is news that only approximates your future, vs match results, which is actually your future). And I'm being whiny, I'll own it.

FWIW, my sibling's school made match day mandatory. More like match morning - since the Hawaii kids find out at the same time as everyone which means 7am. But it's a smaller school with some state-specific traditions requiring family to be there, etc... (only in Hawaii, haha...every auntie and uncle and tutu have to be there to give you leis and good wishes).

On a totally unrelated note - I found a cache folder in my desktop files (not via chrome://cache/) from yesterday with a whole bunch of code from what is clearly the NRMP website. It's a huge file and searching terms like "all programs" or my #1-3 programs NRMP code gets me nowhere. Anyone have any suggestions, since it looked like I eff-ed up my chances of seeing the cache via chrome://cache/ by logging onto NRMP today? I have a feeling I'm beating a dead horse here, but it ain't like I'll be able to focus on anything else...
Have a few beers. You can make it until Friday.

1. Strictly speaking, no it's not 100% ethical. Obviously we aren't intended to look in the source code and following the "spirit of the law" we shouldn't have checked.

Lol what do you think your browser does when you open a page. It's the source code in a different format.

You can have your Firefox always display source code when you're looking at pages. It's literally subverting nothing. They gave people their match results on their pages. No one did some hacking or altering of code or backdoor access to any database. They gave it to applicants period.

So knowing how to circumvent the match process schedule, since "everyone" is doing it, makes it okay? Glad to know ethics are well instilled in my future colleagues. The smart thing would be, if you dared, to look at your match and quit bragging about it. Keep it to yourself.
Dude please stop clenching. Relax. No one is bragging and no one did anything unethical. Unethical is hacking the website not peeking at something THEY left for smart people to find. Get over yourself...

Lol what do you think your browser does when you open a page. It's the source code in a different format.

You can have your Firefox always display source code when you're looking at pages. It's literally subverting nothing. They gave people their match results on their pages. No one did some hacking or altering of code or backdoor access to any database. They gave it to applicants period.

Ethics is more than superficial. Granted they screwed up and put our match results in the source of the web page. And someone stumbled upon it accidentally. But then people started finding out they could circumvent the match process and find out their match results. They told all their friends and fellow classmates, spread it all over the internet. Then they started to post that they matched into their first, second, whatever choice all over the internet. Where is the point where it was a simple mistake and flagrant violation of the rules? Does it make it ethical to do something when it's easy to violate the rules vs. difficult? It is okay when you can't get caught (i.e. viewing a web page source is not traceable), and only wrong when you get caught?

Ethics is more than superficial. Granted they screwed up and put our match results in the source of the web page. And someone stumbled upon it accidentally. But then people started finding out they could circumvent the match process and find out their match results. They told all their friends and fellow classmates, spread it all over the internet. Then they started to post that they matched into their first, second, whatever choice all over the internet. Where is the point where it was a simple mistake and flagrant violation of the rules? Does it make it ethical to do something when it's easy to violate the rules vs. difficult? It is okay when you can't get caught (i.e. viewing a web page source is not traceable), and only wrong when you get caught?

I'm pretty sure the bottom line here is it wasn't a flagrant, or even questionable, violation of the rules to look at the data the nrmp gave those fair access to or even talk about it, for those that choose to.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

And there is no getting caught since the nrmp literally said they are looking internally as to why they made the match results available early. What would there be to get caught doing? That email said two things that were important: a) the results for those who saw were real and b) it was their bad they released match results early and are looking into how it happened.

Ok, what??? What violation of match rules? I don't know where I matched because I worked today, but your proposition is absurd.

I'm pretty sure the bottom line here is it wasn't a flagrant, or even questionable, violation of the rules to look at the data the nrmp gave those fair access to or even talk about it, for those that choose to.

100% agree. I literally logged in. Then the NRMP sent plain text to my computer with my match result (aka source code). And truth be told I often have my screen split on my browser (top half browser view/bottom half html) because I do a lot of coding.

What rule did I violate?

Nowhere does it say I can only view the data in an approved browser.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

You would probably tell on the birthday boy if he stuck his finger in his own birthday cake. There is no rule that says that we have to find out on March 21. The outcome hasn't changed with a few people knowing where they are matched to. If anything the nrmp broke the rules by leaving the gift out unwrapped. There's nothing unethical or flagrant about this.

Reactions: 2 users
100% agree. I literally logged in. Then the NRMP send plain text to my computer with my match result (aka source code). And truth be told I often have my screen split on my browser (top half browser view/bottom half html) because I do a lot of coding.

What rule did I violate?

Nowhere does it say I can only view the data in an approved browser.

Exactly. /thread

(That side ways line would have just ended the thread if you looked at this in chrome, but instead we are reading the "source code" of this chat)

What rule did applicants break? None.

The NRMP screwed up - the source code is there for anybody to look at on any web page you visit, on any email you get. They blew it by not hiding this information. And as someone else pointed out, it is crazy for them to have done it that way, exposing it to possible manipulation and compromise by hackers.

Shame on the NRMP. This is 100 percent on their backs, and I am pretty sure they know it.

Get off your high horse.

Wow I've seen things in medicine justified the same way, "well it was someone else's fault", "well I didn't get caught", "I'll just back-date this chart entry...it'll be fine"...I'd hope my fellow residents would have more ethical fiber than this. I've seen residents fired for such lapses in judgement. Yes the NRMP screwed up, but that doesn't justify posting "I got my 1st pick!" kinda posts or posting that you can find out your match early kinda posts on SDN.

Wow I've seen things in medicine justified the same way, "well it was someone else's fault", "well I didn't get caught", "I'll just back-date this chart entry...it'll be fine"...I'd hope my fellow residents would have more ethical fiber than this. I've seen residents fired for such lapses in judgement. Yes the NRMP screwed up, but that doesn't justify posting "I got my 1st pick!" kinda posts or posting that you can find out your match early kinda posts on SDN.
I matched at my #1

Reactions: 3 users
Awww is someone jealous? You mad, bro?

Ps: I got my #1 too

Jesus, nobody said "rules" were violated. There's a spectrum of ethics, and obviously KNOWING in advance that they don't want you to know until March 21, and then going out of your way to look for it is a (very small, but still present) breach of ethics. If your letter writer gave you an unsealed envelope and you know they forgot to seal it does that mean you should just say "**** them" and read it?

For what it's worth I obviously looked too, because I'm not mother****ing Gandhi (or at least the popular version of him), and **** ERAS, but let's not pretend that on the spectrum of unethical (0) to ethical (100) it's a 100. It might be a 99, but it's not 100.

Be clear: is your beef that people posted about it, bragging about seeing their results, or telling others how to do it?

Or are you saying that even looking at the source code was a violation of rules? If so, what rule? Be very specific.

Jesus, nobody said "rules" were violated. There's a spectrum of ethics, and obviously KNOWING in advance that they don't want you to know until March 21, and then going out of your way to look for it is a (very small, but still present) breach of ethics. If your letter writer gave you an unsealed envelope and you know they forgot to seal it does that mean you should just say "**** them" and read it?

Unless your letter writer explicitly says you may read the letter (after you signed a waiver not to see it), then your example is a clear ethical issue that has absolutely NOTHING to do with viewing the source code that the NRMP sends out to everyone when they sign on to their account.

Unless your letter writer explicitly says you may read the letter (after you signed a waiver not to see it), then your example is a clear ethical issue that has absolutely NOTHING to do with viewing the source code that the NRMP sends out to everyone when they sign on to their account.

As I said, no rules were violated, but let's not pretend we all came out of this like Gandalf the ****ing White.

As I said, no rules were violated, but let's not pretend we all came out of this like Gandalf the ******* White.
I go to sleep with a clean conscience... Unlike that programmer haha. My only regret is not having as much suspense on Friday when I open it with my loved ones but oh well

As I said, no rules were violated, but let's not pretend we all came out of this like Gandalf the ******* White.

I have no qualms about anybody looking at the source code or telling someone else about it whatsoever. Whether that makes them or me Gandalf the ****ing whatever matters not one iota to me.

I have no qualms about anybody looking at the source code or telling someone else about it whatsoever. Whether that makes them or me Gandalf the ******* whatever matters not one iota to me.

Did I say it should matter to you personally, or that you should go to sleep feeling guilty? No. But you're implying it's 100.000000% ethical which is also not true.

Anyways. I checked too and I'm sleeping well. So this is just semantics... perhaps it's time for me to stop arguing on the internet.