Want to make a complete 180 into PT and need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndersDrift

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I've not found anything even remotely useful for the question's I'm about to ask...

I want to be a Physical Therapist. For undergrad though I studied Architecture, I've been out of school now and my life has changed significantly. I was in the Peace Corps and now I'm working as a graphic designer. I've had some injuries and went to a PT for my first time ever and immediately knew its what I want to do for the rest of my life. I don't mean maybe or I kinda like it or anything else, I mean I want to be a PT.

Problem is I don't have many at all for prereqs and am looking for ideas on how to get them. I could do evening classes at the community college but I'd only be able to handle at most 2 classes a year and most schools have some pretty hefty prereqs for DPT.

Hoping someone else might either know of schools with fewer prereqs, know of ways to get funding so I can go full time just for the prereqs or might be able to offer some other piece of advice.

Thanks,
Ender

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to need to take the prereqs. I don't know if any schools have substantially less prereqs than others. Have you checked out PTCAS yet? It's the online application into most PT schools. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know.
http://www.ptcas.org/

They have a program directory. It doesn't list all the PT schools, just the ones that use PTCAS, but it lists a lot of them:
http://www.ptcas.org/DirectoryByName.html

If you click on a school, it usually has info for the school including the school's prereqs. It may make finding the right school a bit easier.

spreadsheet kinda thing for the prereqs of the PTCAS programs:

http://www.ptcas.org/PTCAS_Courses_2011_12_FINAL_forApplicants.pdf

good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to need to take the prereqs. I don't know if any schools have substantially less prereqs than others. Have you checked out PTCAS yet? It's the online application into most PT schools. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know.
http://www.ptcas.org/

They have a program directory. It doesn't list all the PT schools, just the ones that use PTCAS, but it lists a lot of them:
http://www.ptcas.org/DirectoryByName.html

If you click on a school, it usually has info for the school including the school's prereqs. It may make finding the right school a bit easier.

good luck!

Ya I've found this actually:
http://www.ptcas.org/PTCAS_Courses_2011_12_FINAL_forApplicants.pdf

Just doesn't give me much hope, I guess I'm more interested in knowing if anyone knows a way to get the prereqs via scholarship or if schools accept people still needing prereqs and would let me do them there?

something like this?
http://www.su.edu/5C1CFE4A982D42688F91BBB0CEF12616.asp
look at the last section listed, "SU Undergraduate Physical Therapy Pre-admissions Program"

I think a few other programs may have something like this. I don't know if it's only for students coming out of high school or not. You'd probably have to call the school and ask.

I want to say from what I've seen (though I can't be 100% sure) that besides pre-admit programs like that, the PT schools don't accepts people still needing prereqs.

As for funding, you could try to apply for financial aid or scholarships. Have you considered taking out a student loan?

Do you think from a school like Shenandoah you can get a job after?

I did figure out I could potentially get a full time job at a college or uni as a graphic designer or really anything else and most schools have a way for employees to take classes. It would take a while but at least I'd be working and not have to pay for the prereqs plus I could try to do this at a school with a DPT program. Not that getting a job at a Uni or anywhere is easy right now..

Or I could apply to schools for graphic design or communications, go wherever gives me a free ride and then take all the prereqs as electives and then switch degrees?

I think you'd be able to find a job if you graduate from Shenandoah, but I'm not from that area so I don't know for sure.

Other programs may have a set up like Shenandoah that you can try to get involved in.

One thing to consider is the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. If you can get into a state school your DPT tuition could be lower. So if you take out student loans now, get your preqs done quickly and keep you gpa up you could have a good shot getting into an in-state PT school/into a school with lower tuition. If you can get into a school with lower tuition, ultimately your investment in student loans for prereqs might pay off in the price of PT school. Some schools PT are much more expensive than others.

Sometimes schools have a time limit to how recent the prereqs need to be, so make sure you're not taking too long getting the prereqs done.

St. Augustine IMO, has the least/easiest prerequisites in the country.

The advice I have seen posted should give you great insight for your 180 turn. In addition, rememeber "Nothing in this World thats worth having comes easy!"
On your first post you stated that you WANT to be a PT. If that is your mission, than go after it with all your heart and might! Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Stay focused and live for the DAY!

Last edited:
I am in the same boat right now. Ive gotten a degree in design and want to do PT now. I have done some EXTENSIVE research and just realized that I have to stay in this full time job in order to pay bills while I take prerequisites for about a year and a half/two years before I can start applying to PT schools.

I know it might feel like you have to apply to PT schools like yesterday, but like the last person said, if you really want it it's going to take some patience and hard work.

As far as price, narrow down states that you could possibly get residency in while you finish your prerequisites, and find the cheapest programs which I'm noticing are around 30K for the entire program. Check with those PT schools if they accept community college prerequisites and then there you go!

Also while you take classes now, you can start your volunteer hours!

Good luck!!

If it's something you want to do you should stick with it. I'm finishing my last 2 prereqs in about 2 weeks. I have my bachelors degree in construction engineering. I've had to work the whole time through the prereqs, but I can't wait to get into the PT program fulltime. Good luck!

I did this. I got a BFA in 2002, and it was a flop. Really, I had no clue what I wanted to do but knew it was not art and as life would have it, I found Physical Therapy as I neared the end of my second Bachelors in 2008.

I went back to school, in-state, transferred as many credits as I could for my BS. I took loans and what they didn't cover went on a credit card. I sold my car and bought an RV and lived in a barn. The school I attend didn't offer all of the classes that I needed so I had to do some creative self study for my BS and finish A&P and Physics at community college. Two years of one class at a time so that I could work full time. Ace your classes, 3.5 or better is a must!

You have to take the time to get the prereqs. Most school admit on a contingent basis, this means you can apply before your prereqs are completed, but they must be done before the first day of class.

I worked in PT clinics the last 2 years (it doesn't pay much at all but I can boost 2000+ hours in 5 settings on my application), learned as much as I could from the PT's, developed lasting relationships with any and all PT's (I have amazing references), and really got into the grit behind the scenes. I volunteer on my days off and weekends in public schools, SNF's, and Hospital physical therapy departments.

I am broke, in debt up to my ears, have been eating ramen for 3 years, ride my bike to save gas and skip a gym membership, and spend every minute studying in super small, over priced rental, in a town that is far from my family and friend.

I took the GRE twice because I didn't like my first set of scores, and only had a $10 book to study from. But I made my second round really count, improving by 120 points.

Last week I got notice of my first interview, I cried. I have been working my ass off!!! It has not been easy.

If you want it bad enough you will make it happen!

WOW! Best of luck to you and may your dream come true. :)

If it takes you a few years, so be it. If you really want to be a PT, don't look for the easy ways out. Work hard, plan ahead, and stay focused and you will be fine. I just got accepted into the school that started the dream for me, and took two years of working full-time and taking courses online to get into. It was all worth it. If you are looking for a shortcut, and I don't blame you for trying, I would say stop, because the pre-reqs are pretty universal. I understand the money concern, but try to make it work. I never thought I would get into such a reputable program with online courses, but I made it work. You can too. Just stay positive and keep trying, you're still young and it is fine right now to head back to school and change careers. If it makes you happy in the long run, it's well worth it. Good luck!

Hey Locomotive great story, its reminds me of a book I read as a child. The Little Train or l(locomotive) that said .....I THINK I CAN .. I THINK I CAN!

Awesome thanks for sharing and best of wishes!

The advice I have seen posted should give you great insight for your 180 turn. In addition, rememeber "Nothing in this World thats worth having comes easy!"
On your first post you stated that you WANT to be a PT. If that is your mission, than go after it with all your heart and might! Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Stay focused and live for the DAY!

This is good advice. If you REALLY want to be a PT, then you will do whatever it takes to make that happen. No one is interested in making it any easier for you. You have to do all the work yourself. Don't look for shortcuts.

There are some great words of encouragement here. I'm a career-changer myself, and I'll be attending PT school this coming summer after two years of taking prereqs (two more remain).

Well, like SingingPT and rangardrum, it took me two long years of pre-reqs to get there, but I am going to PT school next fall. The thing is, there are many different schools with many different sets of admissions criteria - you just have to focus on where you fit on the spectrum. Some schools only look at your paper application, some downplay the GRE, and some depend on interviews also. So do your research to see where you might go and figure out your list of pre-reqs accordingly.
Also, tell everyone you know that PT is what you are pursuing as a career - who knows what connections might turn up? I got a great break through this kind of networking.
Go all out for it - attack your classes, don't slack on studying for the GRE, get immersed in the PT culture - after all, if I was getting physical therapy, I would want a PT who is energetic, smart, and aggressive (in a good way).
Hopefully, we will see your name in the "Accepted" thread down the road!

---------------------------------------------------------------
University of Illinois-Chicago DPT Class of 2015
Northwestern University, BS-Industrial Engineering, 1991