Want to Quit Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyattending

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a one year fellowship program . I need to go outside state for family reason and want to quit from my current fellowship( I have 4 months left).
I am going for a fellowship in another subspecialty (which is my ultimate career plan) starting from july.
My question is if I quit from this program how it will affect my future fellowship? Any consequences?
I am not too happy with my current fellowship program. Can this program take action that I am quitting at this point?
Please advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you've matched and signed your contract in the other subspecialty, there's not much that the current PD can do other than contact your new PD and tell him/her that you bailed out of your fellowship when it was no longer convenient for you. Can your new PD fire you or not let you start the program for that reason? No. Will it put you on permanent "PITA" status at your new program? Absolutely.

Why not just be honest with your current PD? Or suck it up for the 4 months?

Thanks for your reply.
What is PITA?
I haven't sign the contract yet for my new fellowship. It won't probably happen before April.
But I have a family reason that I can't no longer handle it from here and added a stress in my life. And its true that I am not happy with this program as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply.
What is PITA?
I haven't sign the contract yet for my new fellowship. It won't probably happen before April.
But I have a family reason that I can't no longer handle it from here and added a stress in my life. And its true that I am not happy with this program as well.
PITA = Pain In The Ass

And I recognize that there are legitimate reasons to leave a program, the first one might be legit (hard to tell with the lack of information you provide, which is fine), the 2nd one really isn't, at least not without expecting some downstream consequences.

But you gotta do what you gotta do. You're honestly much better off bringing this up with your current PD and being proactive about it.

Thanks for explaining the abbreviation !
My PD knows that I am starting another fellowship in july. They are completely fine with it.
Its just I am worried if it possess a negative impact in my future career and fellowship.
The reason I mentioned I am not happy with the program is its not adding me anything in my career other that criticism .It is also sad that I had to take a decision when I am only 4 months away from completion of my fellowship.

Thanks for explaining the abbreviation !
My PD knows that I am starting another fellowship in july. They are completely fine with it.
Its just I am worried if it possess a negative impact in my future career and fellowship.
The reason I mentioned I am not happy with the program is its not adding me anything in my career other that criticism .It is also sad that I had to take a decision when I am only 4 months away from completion of my fellowship.
I know that your PD knows about your fellowship next year. But does he know you're planning to bail on him next Thursday? That's what I'm talking about. Why not have a chat with him on Monday and see what's up.

I know that your PD knows about your fellowship next year. But does he know you're planning to bail on him next Thursday? That's what I'm talking about. Why not have a chat with him on Monday and see what's up.

This. A million times this.

OP needs to communicate what is going on. Depending on the situation he can conceivably still "quit" his current fellowship WITHOUT burning any bridges.

OP, the one thing to remember is that when filling out applications for BOTH state medical license AND hospital credentialing you will be asked about all of your training time. You will be asked if you finished your training. You will be asked to tell people why you didn't finish your training. AND lastly you will have to provide documentation from ALL your past training programs that you were there, this documentation will be sent by your training program directly to the state medical board and employers, you will NEVER see what is said unless it is shown to you, or you have a lawyer rip open the confidentiality process of these things. Lots of "interesting" things can be said about you - none of it incorrect or a lie or "illegal" but state boards and hospitals can read between the lines. So. It's in your best interests to make sure you leave your current fellowship as friendly as is possible. You can do what you want but just remember at some point you will have to ask your current PD to tell other people you were his fellow.

Reactions: 1 user