Want to quit my research job...advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeman25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on my gap year with two jobs: research assistant + scribe

I am miserable at my research job. It's basically because I have to handle rodents and pigs and I absolutely hate doing it. I just don't really enjoy working with those types of animals. I've done a year worth of research in undergrad but it was bench work so I didn't really work with animals. I enjoyed it and listed it on my AMCAS but never got a LOR from it or anything.

Do you think it would be fine if I quit my research job? I know research is really important but I just don't like working with animals...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah if you're miserable, quit it! You already checked the box off for research, since you did a year of it in undergrad. If you're considering research-heavy schools, then you might want to wait it out until you can find another position. If not, just keep on scribing and make sure you're volunteering.

You never want to put yourself in a position where you're miserable. There's always better things available. Just try to leave on good terms. If not, then I wouldn't list it on AMCAS. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, at some point, so much research=so much research+so much extra research.

If you've got experience from undergrad--unless this is just majorly impressive--they're just going to lump it all together.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you can pick up the additional hours at your scribe position or that you have another job lined up to make sure ends meet...

Reactions: 1 users
Make sure you can pick up the additional hours at your scribe position or that you have another job lined up to make sure ends meet...

THIS.

Yeah I must find another job before I quit. Perhaps something in pharmaceuticals.

Yeah I am not gunning for research heavy institutions. I like bench research but not so much with animals unless it's dogs (which is pretty rare).

Also this may be a silly question but if you were me, would you tell your boss the truth and say you don't like the job or make up an excuse?

Also this may be a silly question but if you were me, would you tell your boss the truth and say you don't like the job or make up an excuse?

Make up an excuse. The last thing you want to do is burn bridges. Just make something up how you have too much going on, and thank them for the opportunity. If that's the case, you should be able to list it on AMCAS with no issues.

ALways leave on a good note.

Is your job solely maintaining animal colony? if not could you getan undergrad volunteer to help you out? Thats what I did... I had to monitor my mice experiments (measure tumor size 3 times a week) but I really don't like touching them... SO i gradually transitioned my mice responsibility to my undergrad haha

I was in similar situation as you were. Do you think research will be worth it? If so, stay. If not, quit. I realized that whatever you do, you will regret a little; it's okay to feel like that. I'm curious to what you ended up doing.

I was in similar situation as you were. Do you think research will be worth it? If so, stay. If not, quit. I realized that whatever you do, you will regret a little; it's okay to feel like that. I'm curious to what you ended up doing.

Hey! So I actually ended up sucking it up and keeping both my research assistant AND scribe job. I have gotten used to some of the animal work that I was uncomfortable with earlier. Other stuff that I'm still not comfortable with: I find ways to farm out to someone else. Basically, I have found ways to make my job more pleasant. I still don't love it, but it's a good paying job that allows me to not depend solely on my scribe salary(which is terrible btw).

Also, I've had a few medical school interviews and a couple interviewers have seemed to be impressed that I've been involved in both research and clinical work simultaneously (others haven't really cared). They don't know that I don't care much for my research job, but it's all part of the game. Wishing you luck!