About the ads

WANTED: Opinions on Adelphi Versus Rutgers

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by psychguy819, Mar 27, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
?

Which would you choose?

1. Adelphi University (PhD)

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Rutgers University (PsyD)

41 vote(s)
    87.2%
  1. psychguy819

psychguy819

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So I've narrowed down my acceptances to two options: Rutgers Clinical PsyD and Adelphi Clinical PhD. In your opinion, which is the "better" program? (Taking into consideration all the common factors that contribute to a program's caliber) I'm familiar with the stats of both programs (APA match rates, tuition/funding, cohort size, etc.) so I'm more interested in the "qualitative" factors that go into making a decision such as quality of training, value, reputation, etc. Basically, please share your brutally honest opinions about both! :)
  2. cara susanna

cara susanna Predoctoral Intern

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm not as familiar with Adelphi, but probably Rutgers
  3. psychguy819

psychguy819

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Would anybody like to comment as to why the poll results thus far are incredibly lopsided towards Rutgers? I was expecting a more evenly-split result. :confused:
  4. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist Moderator

Psychologist
    Psychologist SDN 2+ Year Member
    Rutgers's Psy.D. program has a solid reputation nationally; Adelphi's perhaps might not be quite as consistently strong.
  5. PsychPhDHopeful

PsychPhDHopeful

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Adelphi has a fine program, but you will be limited to mostly psychodynamic training. Rutgers has a great reputation, is less expensive, and you will receive training in other orientations.
  6. headshrinker78

headshrinker78

Psychology Student
    Congrats on the acceptances! Both are solid programs. While the US News and World Report 2012 ranking does not matter all that much too me, it's based on a survey of academics and Rutgers' PsyD program comes in at 42 v. 139 for Adelphi. At the end of the day, Rutgers is cheaper and has a better national reputation, so if those are your main concerns, it should be an easy decision. With that said, if you are very psychodynamically oriented or can't stomach having a Psy.D. after your name, you may be better off going with Adelphi.
  7. psychguy819

psychguy819

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you for your input! (And thank you to the two posters before you!)
  8. thewesternsky

thewesternsky

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Rutgers has a great reputation, is less expensive, and you will receive training in other (i.e., a variety of) orientations.

This.
  9. hamsterpants

hamsterpants

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    seems like a no-brainer to me
  10. psychguy819

psychguy819

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So I'm assuming you voted for Rutgers then?
  11. Johnny411

Johnny411

Pre-Medical
    I honestly would probably go to Rutgers. The city of New Brunswick ( location of Rutgers U) is very much a really beautiful city. You are also kind of close to NYC. Although Adelphi is basically in one of the Burroughs of NYC, I wouldn't go there because it's in a not so great area (Brooklyn). I am not saying that Brooklyn is a bad place or is crappy, but I think a school being in a not so great area would be a red flag for me. The choice is yours though!! Good luck :)
  12. hamsterpants

hamsterpants

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yep. Sorry for such a throw away comment, it was mostly based on what others wrote. But yes, Rutgers is a strong program and although some people regard the Psyd as a "lesser" degree, I would say Rutgers is viewed as an exception. They provide funding to their students and I've heard they produce clinicians that truly look to research to inform practice. And I imagine that if your long term goal is practice, you would be happier at a strong Psyd than a mediocre Phd program (that said, I know nothing about Adelphi) where you don't have to come out of the "closet" as a clinician rather than researcher.

An RA in my lab is headed to Rutgers this fall, I like and respect her on a personal and professional level so perhaps I am biased by her awesomeness.
  13. psychguy819

psychguy819

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Adelphi is actually located in Garden City - one of the richest towns in Long Island (Nassau County). Quite the opposite of Brooklyn! lol I think you're thinking of Long Island University which is located in downtown Brooklyn (not so nice).

But thank you for your opinion!
  14. xiaoma

xiaoma

Psychology Student
    Rutgers.
  15. psychguy819

psychguy819

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just thought I would let you guys know that I have decided to accept Rutgers's offer! Adelphi was unable to offer me enough funding to make it "worth it."

I hope one of you are taken off the wait list at Adelphi once I decline their offer!

Thanks for all your help/opinions! :)
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  16. PsychPhDHopeful

PsychPhDHopeful

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congratulations! You will be very happy with your decision. I know people in the program who absolutely love it. Good luck!!