Warning: Internationals looking to come here - please read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I understand, USyd lost the ability to accept Stafford loans because it did not meet the rather onerous critieria by the US federal govt for accepting them (specifically, the stipulation that a certain percentage of ALL its takers pass the USMLE Step 1, rather than simply its int'l students, or American students -- there's a discussion of this in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/university-of-sydney-no-longer-accepts-us-finaid.1076515/). Then again, someone posted here or on pagingdr not long ago that it has regained that ability, but if not, then I'm not sure if what's going on there is a result of any administrative "choice". At any rate, there have never been a lot of American students here, at least compared to the Asians and Canadians (e.g., only 85, less than 1 in 7, of the int'ls commencing in 2012 were American, and a large chunk of that would be at UQ -- maybe some schools have decided that UQ has 'cornered' the market with Ochsner and don't want the headache of ensuring suitably high USMLE pass rates, who knows).

My reasoning on UWA/WA internship would be similar to how I broke down the numbers on the east coast -- from the MTRP. The state used to promise all its grads an internship, but I don't now if that's still in play (it certainly promises its domestic students internship, as all states do).

I hate to ask someone to speculate, but @pitman what do you think are the chances of UQ retaining its US loan eligibility of dual citizens? Additionally, if it turns out to be accurate that USyd no longer can take US loans, then what are the options for those students who were receiving them? Are they grandfathered through?

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to ask someone to speculate, but @pitman what do you think are the chances of UQ retaining its US loan eligibility of dual citizens? Additionally, if it turns out to be accurate that USyd no longer can take US loans, then what are the options for those students who were receiving them? Are they grandfathered through?
UQ hasn't lost its eligibility yet, so that record is all I can point to.

As to what happened to USyd int'l students when USyd lost its eligibility...good question, but dunno.

At USyd, I've heard Sallie Mae is a private bank affiliated with the US government and is a decent (not great) option for US citizens. But others may know better.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's about specialty college training, not internship.

2014: 705 positions, 690 P1 grads, 133 P4; total: 823
2015: 705 positions, 704 P1, 161 P4; total: 865
2016: TBD positions, 723 P1, 138 P4, total: 861
2017: TBD positions, 724 P1, 152 P4, total: 876

Doesn't look like the numbers are even to me. Even adding 1 more applicant to an already bloated/at capacity system makes for a precarious situation.

I will continue to preach extreme caution, as the people on paging dr do, as well as the majority of the medicos here, and you can continue on your trollish tirades with whatever pseudo-agenda you seem to have driving you.

As for your posts on paging dr, it seems you are much more cautious with your words there as you are here. Possibly due to better admin enforcement, but also likely because your opinion is a largely muted minority. You seem to have missed the point of that paging dr thread which, as I stated previously, was not about judging AMSA, but rather being critical of bodies which support increasing intern spots without increasing JHO/training spots as the bottleneck is simply climbing the chains in the system.

But then, I would expect nothing less from you but to skew and see things as only you would prefer. As usual, I will not reply further to you as you continue to behave in a manner which does not promote healthy debate, but rather pitiful arguing.

Some reading for those that want to perform due diligence on the ~$300K investment you may be making in your medical degree by coming here: http://pagingdr.net/forum/index.php?topic=5568.0

I would like to read this can you cpy paste it?? I can't register or login to that site for some reason, thx, really looking for more info about the route studying medicine as an international in australia

My question is on this list from the OP:

- These internships are allocated in a random manner based on your citizenship (each group gets a round of randomized allocations based on preferences and then, when all the applicants in that pool have gotten a placement, the next group gets pulled up, repeat untill all pools or internship spots have been used up). The typical order is:
1. In-state Australian/NZ grads
2. Out of state Australian/NZ grads
3. In-state internationals
4. Out of state internationals
5. Overseas non-Aussie grads
- As you can see from above, the internationals are ranked near the bottom of the allocation with no ability to allow merit to play a role (exceptions exist, but rarely and it's important to assume that they don't).

Where would an international graduate that is an Australian citizen be placed? I'm an Australian but I'm doing medicine overseas would I be given any priority at all?

You would be treated like any other IMG, with the *possible* exception that for ACT, if you went to an ACT high school, I think you'd still be Priority 3. Someone from ANU should verify this..

I went to high school in Melbourne so I guess it's going to suck if I do decide to come to Australia