Was on the PA track, considering DO...advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergradx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently graduated with a BS in psychology in 3 years. My plan was to finish prerequisites for PA in 3 years, work for healthcare experience my fourth year and finish up any final prerequisites. I was keen on the PA track because I thought I wasn't cut out for medicine - I'm weak in chemistry and physics. But recently I took human anatomy and physiology and have done very well in those courses. I actually enjoyed them too. My family and friends keep telling me I have doctor potential, and it's quite frustrating knowing I might be underestimating myself.

My cumulative GPA is 3.71, science GPA 3.4. If I was doing the med track I'd have to take physics 2, PChem, and Orgo 2. I could easily finish these up next year, but I feel that my science GPA is low, and taking these courses might just make it even lower. Plus, I'm not exactly looking forward to MCATs. Like I said, physics and chemistry are not my thing (I have about a 3.0 average in these. However, I did take them as a freshman, and might do better now).

Additionally, I have a huge interest in working abroad, doing something like peace corps, and want to be involved with forensic medicine. I feel like it would be easier to pursue both these things being a doctor.

I am currently taking biochem. I guess depending on my grade, I'll go from there. Other factors to consider: I'm 21, still pretty young, and don't plan on having kids (focus on family seems to be a point many PAs bring up). Money isn't a huge issue, my parents are supporting me financially.

Also, I've been told medical school will be more anatomy/physiology than chemistry and physics. Is this true? In that case, I'd probably enjoy the material.

Any advice is appreciated, I'm rather new to the DO world - sorry if I sound clueless. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I recently graduated with a BS in psychology in 3 years. My plan was to finish prerequisites for PA in 3 years, work for healthcare experience my fourth year and finish up any final prerequisites. I was keen on the PA track because I thought I wasn't cut out for medicine - I'm weak in chemistry and physics. But recently I took human anatomy and physiology and have done very well in those courses. I actually enjoyed them too. My family and friends keep telling me I have doctor potential, and it's quite frustrating knowing I might be underestimating myself.

My cumulative GPA is 3.71, science GPA 3.4. If I was doing the med track I'd have to take physics 2, PChem, and Orgo 2. I could easily finish these up next year, but I feel that my science GPA is low, and taking these courses might just make it even lower. Plus, I'm not exactly looking forward to MCATs. Like I said, physics and chemistry are not my thing (I have about a 3.0 average in these. However, I did take them as a freshman, and might do better now).

Additionally, I have a huge interest in working abroad, doing something like peace corps, and want to be involved with forensic medicine. I feel like it would be easier to pursue both these things being a doctor.

I am currently taking biochem. I guess depending on my grade, I'll go from there. Other factors to consider: I'm 21, still pretty young, and don't plan on having kids (focus on family seems to be a point many PAs bring up). Money isn't a huge issue, my parents are supporting me financially.

Also, I've been told medical school will be more anatomy/physiology than chemistry and physics. Is this true? In that case, I'd probably enjoy the material.

Any advice is appreciated, I'm rather new to the DO world - sorry if I sound clueless. Thanks in advance!

Your GPA is not a problem, but there are a bunch of other factors that are considered when applying. Also, Pchem is not a pre req

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

If you do not have a strong desire to be a physician and you don't care about making money then I won't suggest med school. Being a PA is a good job. No true responsibly and often sub-40 hour work weeks for $80k-120k per year. Gives you a decent amount of money and enough time to enjoy life.

There is not much chemistry or physics in medicine.

I seriously doubt you'll find a job as an international, peace core, forensic pathologist. You would have to pick a different field of medicine, like anesthesia, surgery, or general IM, if you want to do international work; not pathology.

Oh Good Lord. Who the hell thinks PAs don't have "true responsibility"?!?! I have a license. I have malpractice coverage. I have a healthy respect for medical mistakes and clinician errors, and even more so for just plain old bad luck.
If I had no responsibility as a PA I wouldn't have been nearly as well prepared for med school and transitioning to being a physician. I've already figured out responsibility. I actually wanted more of it, so I went back to school--but I had plenty as a PA.

Reactions: 4 users
I work at a trauma center as a scribe and I can say PAs are very well respected, and they have near equal responsibility to the point, sometimes attendings dont even see the patients.....so much they even get their own scribe.....difference? Well you wount get to see acute cases......as much...

I think this comes down to what YOU want....out of your life...I can tell you at 21, I had no idea....I think working with physicians and other allied health care professionals will give you the answer....but keep up the grades, you need to do well in school to get into PA or DO school....and why only DO? I think with your GPA you can even do MD, contingent upon a good MCAT.....

first of all you don't need PChem...if i were you i'd finish both physics and orgo next year, study your ass off for the MCAT, and apply DO. living the rest of you life wondering "what if" would be terrible and sure you may struggle a bit in chemistry and physics but next year just buckle down and give each class some "extra" effort and you'll do just fine. if you love A&P and other biology courses then you'd probably love medicine. so just buckle down next year and hit the books hard, your GPAs show you have the potential to be a doctor so i say go for it and give it 100%.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Undergradx!

I strongly believe that you would do well in D.O. school. It seems to me as if you are motivated and truly enjoy the material being taught to you. Your GPA is very strong; and don't fear the MCAT (I am currently in the same situation..22 years old..3.67c, 3.70s GPA; taking the MCAT in August). Just know that the medical profession is more of a marathon than a sprint. It will require a lot of energy and time. Just know that it'll be all worth it at the end. You are so young and you have some time to think about it :)

Feel free and message me if you want to talk further..good luck!

-Kayce

If you do not have a strong desire to be a physician and you don't care about making money then I won't suggest med school.
What? Lol... It is all doom and gloom these days, and especially for PCP. NPs are taking over.

Do what I did. Get yourself a 50 cent piece. Decide whether heads or tails is DO, then flip the coin and never look back. You'll know how you feel while that coin is in the air and when it lands.

That's how I decided between PA and DO. Sometimes we lie to ourselves about what will make us happy, but when that coin landed heads (DO) and I suddenly just felt at peace, I knew what I'd really wanted all along.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all so much for the advice and encouragement! I have a month or so to think about it, but I think I'm leaning towards the DO path. I'd have fall semester to finish taking the 2 classes, then all winter/spring to study for MCATs. Opposed to the PA route - taking 6 random prerequisites (nutrition, medical terminology, etc) and looking for a job for healthcare experience, which might turn out to be a hassle.

One final question - my school only offered 1 semester of general chemistry. So I took gen chem + lab (5 credits total), orgo 1 + lab (5 credits), and will take orgo 2. Which is why I thought I had to take Pchem...what should I do?

Thank you all so much for the advice and encouragement! I have a month or so to think about it, but I think I'm leaning towards the DO path. I'd have fall semester to finish taking the 2 classes, then all winter/spring to study for MCATs. Opposed to the PA route - taking 6 random prerequisites (nutrition, medical terminology, etc) and looking for a job for healthcare experience, which might turn out to be a hassle.

One final question - my school only offered 1 semester of general chemistry. So I took gen chem + lab (5 credits total), orgo 1 + lab (5 credits), and will take orgo 2. Which is why I thought I had to take Pchem...what should I do?
Take the gen chem2 at another school or at a CC... I am not sure if Pchem will satisfy the 8-credit gen chem requirement..

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to post on an old topic, but I have some new information to add. Again, all advice is appreciated!

1. I'd likely specialize in something like pediatrics, family medicine, internal medicine, or psychiatry as a DO.
2. I make a strong PA candidate, but due to my science GPA (which I recalculated - I'm at a 3.35 MD and 3.45 DO sGPA. Could try to get the MD sGPA up to 3.4-3.45 with classes next year) only an ok DO and pretty bad MD candidate.
3. For PA I could likely go to an in-state program and come out with minimal/no loans. For med, I'd likely only have a shot at expensive DO private schools. I'd come out with ~300K in loans. I know I said money wasn't a problem, since I have family support, but we're not millionaires! Debt is still a concern, especially if I was a PCP.

As you can see, the situation has become much more complicated. Thanks in advance!

I don't mean to post on an old topic, but I have some new information to add. Again, all advice is appreciated!

1. I'd likely specialize in something like pediatrics, family medicine, internal medicine, or psychiatry as a DO.
2. I make a strong PA candidate, but due to my science GPA (which I recalculated - I'm at a 3.35 MD and 3.45 DO sGPA. Could try to get the MD sGPA up to 3.4-3.45 with classes next year) only an ok DO and pretty bad MD candidate.
3. For PA I could likely go to an in-state program and come out with minimal/no loans. For med, I'd likely only have a shot at expensive DO private schools. I'd come out with ~300K in loans. I know I said money wasn't a problem, since I have family support, but we're not millionaires! Debt is still a concern, especially if I was a PCP.

As you can see, the situation has become much more complicated. Thanks in advance!
Will you be happy as a PA or a physician? I have not met a physician who has trouble paying back his/her loan...

Last edited:
A 3.45 sGPA isn't all that bad. I had a 3.25 and got several interviews and acceptances.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I was in a 5 year BS/PA program and had a guaranteed spot in PA school, but dropped out of it and chose the DO route. It was a very hard decision.

I would ask your self two questions: A) Do I love learning science? B) Do I need to be the boss?

If the answer to both of those are no, definitely go to PA school. If either one of them are yes, you need to go to medical school. You would think such an important decision should be more complicated, but it all boils down to those two questions. In any event, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was in a 5 year BS/PA program and had a guaranteed spot in PA school, but dropped out of it and chose the DO route. It was a very hard decision.

I would ask your self two questions: A) Do I love learning science? B) Do I need to be the boss?

If the answer to both of those are no, definitely go to PA school. If either one of them are yes, you need to go to medical school. You would think such an important decision should be more complicated, but it all boils down to those two questions. In any event, I couldn't be happier with my decision.
Question B was of the questions I asked myself when I had the dilemma to choose whether I should go PA/NP or MD/DO... As a RN, it would have been easier for me to do a NP program in 2-3 years, but I did not want to be limited in what I can do.

Reactions: 1 user
In 25 years, which path would you rather be on? By that point, the debt will be irrelevant. The 25 years will come regardless. And it will come.

Question B was of the questions I asked myself when I had the dilemma to choose whether I should go PA/NP or MD/DO... As a RN, it would have been easier for me to do a NP program in 2-3 years, but I did not want to be limited in what I can do.
Not to start a debate, but I am surprised at the courses required for NP. It seems like most are nursing theory and biostatistics courses. The only courses that seem to be hard sciences in nature are pharmocology, physiology, and pathophysiology. Then, it's a year of practicum.

Not to start a debate, but I am surprised at the courses required for NP. It seems like most are nursing theory and biostatistics courses. The only courses that seem to be hard sciences in nature are pharmocology, physiology, and pathophysiology. Then, it's a year of practicum.
I know that.... Most (if not all) of these programs are very light on the science that one might need to be a 'good' clinician. That was another reason I decided to go MD/DO. I work with a physician who told me he will NEVER hire a NP based on interactions that he has had with some experienced NPs. He said that he is amazed about simple things that they don't know. When I told him about studies published by ANA that have shown equal outcomes between PCPs (MD/DO) and NPs, his answer was: 'America is a country of propaganda and anyone who believes in these studies needs to be examined by a psychiatrist'.

I know that.... Most (if not all) of these programs are very light on the science that one might need to be a 'good' clinician. That was another reason I decided to go MD/DO. I work with a physician who told me he will NEVER hire a NP based on interactions that he has had with some experienced NPs. He said that he is amazed about simple things that they don't know. When I told him about studies published by ANA that have shown equal outcomes between PCPs (MD/DO) and NPs, his answer was: 'America is a country of propaganda and anyone who believes in these studies needs to be examined by a psychiatrist'.
It's amazing how's many bad studies there are out there. What's worse is often entire studies are thrown out because they yielded unfavorable results for the researcher. With information that's poorly presented coupled with information that is downright omitted, it's no wonder everything's so chaotic.

It's amazing how's many bad studies there are out there. What's worse is often entire studies are thrown out because they yielded unfavorable results for the researcher. With information that's poorly presented coupled with information that is downright omitted, it's no wonder everything's so chaotic.

Yep, it is like my professor said to me "If there are ten outcomes that come from the experiment, as long as one is favorable, the researcher will publish his findings even when the other nine are are not." Only if there is the slightest benefit to the researcher, will that researcher publish his findings. If there is none, then nothings coming out.