Was thinking only DO.. Opinions on MD and School list ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mbidmc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I was planning on only applying DO until I got my preliminary MCAT score back. I was wondering if you would be able to give me advice on whether I would be competitive for MD schools this cycle, and if I am, if you have suggestions for a school list.

Stats:

cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.43

Undergrad in Econ/PS, then did post-bacc.

ECs:

Over 2000 hours of research with 2 publications.
130 hours shadowing Ortho in both clinic and OR
42 hours shadowing Rad/Onc, OR (brachytherapy) and clinic
40 hours shadowing Peds
40 hours shadowing PM&R clinic and procedures
DIII athlete
320 hours volunteering in hospice
Two months volunteering in Pakistan w/Red Crescent distributing medical supplies in rural villages
Tutored underprivileged local HS kids (90 hours)
Coached little league (~120 hours)
Habitat for Humanity in Biloxi, MS (a week)

LORs:

Great LOR from PI (HMS faculty) and from the Rad/Onc Attending (DO), also have two good LORs from science professors.

MCAT:

82-97 in P/C
85-100 in the rest
90-100 overall

Thanks in advance! I was all set to just apply DO and then got my scores back last week and just went holy f***

Edit: Sorry I forgot to paste my list

BU
CA Northstate
GW
Georgetown
NYMC
Oakland
Quinnipiac
Thomas Jefferson
Stony Brook
Temple
Tulane
Tufts
UMass

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You were competitive even without the high MCAT. Go MD all the way.

You were competitive even without the high MCAT. Go MD all the way.

Even with the low sGPA? Forgot to mention I'm a MA resident so I felt like UMass was totally out of the question

Members don't see this ad :)
3.42 is not that low at all. 3.6/3.42 is respectable at most low-tier MD schools. With new MCAT I'd recommend applying broadly to mid-tiers with low tiers as safety/undershoots. Your EC's are good.

3.42 is not that low at all. 3.6/3.42 is respectable at most low-tier MD schools. With new MCAT I'd recommend applying broadly to mid-tiers with low tiers as safety/undershoots. Your EC's are good.

If there is anyone else who would like to weigh in on recommendations, I'd really appreciate it

I say do a combination of mid tier MD schools and DO schools that you are truly interested in. Add 2 or 3 reach schools. You never know when it comes to admissions. Your ECs are awesome not to mention that MCAT score.

Add Vermont and Albany.

I will reiterate what bengirl had to say - you have a good shot at at least 1 MD acceptance, and a great shot at DOs. If I were you I would apply broadly to MD and to my 3-6 favorite DO schools. For DO there is less of a "tier" thing going on, it can really just be based on location/mission and if they have any special programs you like.

If you care about remaining in New England, you are as close to guaranteed a spot at UNECOM as it gets in med apps. Though frankly with your credentials I would go somewhere better.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely apply MD. If your MCAT ends up on the high range of that scale(96th+ percentile) you can include some mid tiers as well even.

Definitely apply MD! Your GPAs are not amazing, but paired with a 90-100 percentile overall MCAT, you will more than likely get in somewhere. Your ECs are pretty impressive too! Just remember to apply broadly to a mix of low-mid tier schools. Also, you should be a shoe-in for DO, so apply to those programs as a backup.

I would add:
Drexel
Temple
Hofstra
Rush
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
Penn State
Loyola
Loma Linda(but read up on them first)
Creighton
Wisconsin
Your state schools
Any DO School

Last edited:
Home state??????

Based upon your GPA, the sGPA hurts, but isn't lethal. Invest in MSAR Online and target those MD schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Always start with your state school. Pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information tab. I can't recommend any OOS public school except VCU.

Naturally, MCAT will make or break you.

Definitely apply MD! Your GPAs are not amazing, but paired with a 90-100 percentile overall MCAT, you will more than likely get in somewhere. Your ECs are pretty impressive too! Just remember to apply broadly to a mix of low-mid tier schools. Also, you should be a shoe-in for DO, so apply to those programs as a backup.

I would add:
Drexel
Temple
Hofstra
Rush
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
Penn State
Loyola
Loma Linda(but read up on them first)
Creighton
Wisconsin
Your state schools
Any DO School

Thanks for the input on the school list, I'll take a look at the schools!

Home state??????

Based upon your GPA, the sGPA hurts, but isn't lethal. Invest in MSAR Online and target those MD schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Always start with your state school. Pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information tab. I can't recommend any OOS public school except VCU.

Naturally, MCAT will make or break you.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. MA resident with very strong ties to the area

Consider: UMass, Vermont, Quinnipiac, NYMC, Albany, Hofstra, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, Penn State, Einstein, Miami, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin

Hey so I just got my MCAT back: 519 (128, 130, 130, 131). Do you think the school list I had from before is still where I should be aiming?

The list:

BU
CA Northstate
GW
Georgetown
NYMC
Oakland
Quinnipiac
Thomas Jefferson
Stony Brook
Temple
Tulane
Tufts
UMass

Hey so I just got my MCAT back: 519 (128, 130, 130, 131). Do you think the school list I had from before is still where I should be aiming?

The list:

BU
CA Northstate
GW
Georgetown
NYMC
Oakland
Quinnipiac
Thomas Jefferson
Stony Brook
Temple
Tulane
Tufts
UMass
Solid. Take out Northstate with that MCAT and GPA. 3.62/4.43/519 is very very good. Add more low to mid tiers such as:
USC-Keck
SLU
Einstein
Hofstra (dat MCAT!)
Tulane
Miami

With that being said your stats are absolutely good enough for UMass.

Solid. Take out Northstate with that MCAT and GPA. 3.62/4.43/519 is very very good. Add more low to mid tiers such as:
USC-Keck
SLU
Einstein
Hofstra (dat MCAT!)
Tulane
Miami

With that being said your stats are absolutely good enough for UMass.

Thanks!

You may want to add a few more schools to increase your odds for an acceptance.
Hofstra
Vermont
Drexel
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
You could receive an interview at any of these schools with your MCAT.

Awesome MCAT. You don't need to apply DO unless you want to. I think you can target mid-tiers now.