Washington Post: Why are Dentists So Darn Rich

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
$25 a month not affordable? Maybe it is time to drink less beer

Why did you choose to go to the Army instead of finding something better?

Wow.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
$25 a month not affordable? Maybe it is time to drink less beer
I did not and do not have any privileges. I just work hard and make smart and responsible decisions. It is just very surprising for me to see people who are blaming everyone for the fact, that they are working a dead end job. I think they should only be blaming themselves. There are plenty of opportunities in community colleges to get a profession for a very low cost and not work in Macdonalds all their life. Why did you choose to go to the Army instead of finding something better?
Wow

Wow.

FYI I am the child of immigrants. Growing up I was dirt poor because my parents came to the US with me, two suitcases of clothing, and $200. So no, they didn't start a college savings fund for me. What they did do was encourage me, and sometimes downright force me, to do well in school so I could make something of myself because "that's why we came here, so you could have a future." And that paid off in terms of scholarships that paid most of my way through college and grad school at a private university.

So again, check your privilege, you little ingrate. Not everyone is lucky enough to have been born in the US and start their life in the US with something. There are MANY people who came to the US with nothing.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what $25 a month?! That works out to less than 6 thousand put into the account over 18 years of your child's life. With interest, you'll MAYBE wind up having 10 thousand in there by the time your child starts college. And newsflash: ten thousand dollars is pretty much nothing when it comes to the expense of college and then grad school or professional school. At that point, you may as well not have bothered because what's the point? That ten thousand isn't even going to pay for the first year of dorming.

Wow.

FYI I am the child of immigrants. Growing up I was dirt poor because my parents came to the US with me, two suitcases of clothing, and $200. So no, they didn't start a college savings fund for me. What they did do was encourage me, and sometimes downright force me, to do well in school so I could make something of myself because "that's why we came here, so you could have a future." And that paid off in terms of scholarships that paid most of my way through college and grad school at a private university.

So again, check your privilege, you little ingrate. Not everyone is lucky enough to have been born in the US and start their life in the US with something. There are MANY people who came to the US with nothing.
I can call you names too. I was not born in the USA and also came as an immigrant, but instead of $200 like your parents, who were probably illegals, because american government does not allow people to immigrate with such low funds, I prepared myself for the immigration and had enough to settle. I also knew English well enough to get a job pretty quickly, worked and saved for future. I also started an education fund with just $25 monthly payments. So, I know what I am talking about
I am not interested what rich have and how many applicants take loans and how many of them pay themselves, because it does not matter. All you need in this country is a desire to succeed

Also, what $25 a month?! That works out to less than 6 thousand put into the account over 18 years of your child's life. With interest, you'll MAYBE wind up having 10 thousand in there by the time your child starts college. And newsflash: ten thousand dollars is pretty much nothing when it comes to the expense of college and then grad school or professional school. At that point, you may as well not have bothered because what's the point? That ten thousand isn't even going to pay for the first year of dorming.
Ok, now I am speechless. How dumb and lazy a person should be to continue to earn very low wages for 20 years? I worked minimum wage after immigrating for 7 months, then I doubled it , then increased it several more dollars over the next few years by - surprise - educating myself. This way I was able to put aside more.
Even $10,000 is a big help during application process, the rest could be managed with loans. Obviously you managed

Ok, now I am speechless. How dumb and lazy a person should be to continue to earn very low wages for 20 years? I worked minimum wage after immigrating for 7 months, then I doubled it , then increased it several more dollars over the next few years by - surprise - educating myself. This way I was able to put aside more.
Even $10,000 is a big help during application process, the rest could be managed with loans. Obviously you managed
You really really amaze me. Not because of your arrogance, because lots of people are arrogant. And it's not because of your political views because I happen to agree with some of what you're saying (to an extent). I'm really amazed by your complete lack of respect for anyone that hasn't achieved as much as you have. "I did this and this and this so there's no excuse for anyone else and if you don't do at least this and haven't made this amount of money in this amount of years then it's because you're lazy or stupid," seems to be your ongoing theme. I'm really surprised that you got through the ethics portions of your dental training and I'm even more surprised that you were able to perform procedures on so many patients while in school that you would deem "lesser than you" for not being able to afford to go to a private practice. I imagine that would've been difficult for you to be around so many lazy people for so long.

Reactions: 4 users
Well actually, they let political refugees in with pretty much nothing. Because you know.., political refugees and not just someone who won a green card lottery. But ok. I guess my family is somehow less than you because we only had a few weeks to prepare to get out of our country so we wouldn't risk dying there.

And your assumptions about my family's current financial and social situation versus what it was when we fled to come here 20-odd years ago are making you look like a complete ***** by the way. :)

But go ahead, continue. I'm sure this winning attitude of yours shines through when you interact with patients, because how can so much nastiness be suppressed? Patients will sense what an entitled jerkoff you are and trust me, they won't come back when they do sense it.

And yes, obviously I managed. Because by the time I made the decision to apply to dental school I was a grown woman with a career and I didn't have to ask my mommy to pay for the application process, even though she could and would have.

I just want everyone to know that my parents are pretty wealthy. When they die, I think I'll be pretty wealthy. I'm just a dentist because of the crazy respect I get on a daily. And I used to have dial-up internet........so I know what you guys have been through.

That is all. Proceed.

clam-down-it-s-just-the-internet.png

Well actually, they let political refugees in with pretty much nothing. Because you know.., political refugees and not just someone who won a green card lottery. But ok. I guess my family is somehow less than you because we only had a few weeks to prepare to get out of our country so we wouldn't risk dying there.

And your assumptions about my family's current financial and social situation versus what it was when we fled to come here 20-odd years ago are making you look like a complete ***** by the way. :)

But go ahead, continue. I'm sure this winning attitude of yours shines through when you interact with patients, because how can so much nastiness be suppressed? Patients will sense what an entitled jerkoff you are and trust me, they won't come back when they do sense it.

And yes, obviously I managed. Because by the time I made the decision to apply to dental school I was a grown woman with a career and I didn't have to ask my mommy to pay for the application process, even though she could and would have.
I am sorry, that you had to leave your country - you should have shared this instead of being proud, that you are poor and your parents are poor. In fact you enjoyed full set of benefits of being a refugee, for which nasty rich people payed. Nasty rich people also payed for grants and scholarships, which you enjoyed later in life. I asked you, why you went to the army, because since you mention low pay, this was not obviously a higher calling. Did they give you a citizenship? Free college education?
I am not rich, but I am strongly against blaming rich for everything. I will deal with my nastiness and you, please, deal with your vocabulary - you talk like a prostitute. Patients do not like that and you would have to pay for you enormous student loans and taxes for your fellow refugees somehow

You really really amaze me. Not because of your arrogance, because lots of people are arrogant. And it's not because of your political views because I happen to agree with some of what you're saying (to an extent). I'm really amazed by your complete lack of respect for anyone that hasn't achieved as much as you have. "I did this and this and this so there's no excuse for anyone else and if you don't do at least this and haven't made this amount of money in this amount of years then it's because you're lazy or stupid," seems to be your ongoing theme. I'm really surprised that you got through the ethics portions of your dental training and I'm even more surprised that you were able to perform procedures on so many patients while in school that you would deem "lesser than you" for not being able to afford to go to a private practice. I imagine that would've been difficult for you to be around so many lazy people for so long.
That is lovely, that you are making such deep assumptions based on a couple of postings. At the same time you are not amazed that someone uses phrases like "poor af", I hope you know what af stands for - there is a lot of respect to everyone in there. And army does not pay well enough too. How dare they, but isn't it suppose to be a moral choice?
I have strong views, too bad, that someone is shocked. If poor people use funds and benefits provided by rich people, they should not badmouth them and blame them in all their shortcomings. Maybe I spend too much time in ghettos, where I watched poor people drink, party and sell drugs, where only few worked and majority just produced children to use government help. I have a lot respect for all people, who are working and make responsible choices, does not matter rich or poor. And actually I am not rich - I am middle class

I am sorry, that you had to leave your country - you should have shared this instead of being proud, that you are poor and your parents are poor. In fact you enjoyed full set of benefits of being a refugee, for which nasty rich people payed. Nasty rich people also payed for grants and scholarships, which you enjoyed later in life. I asked you, why you went to the army, because since you mention low pay, this was not obviously a higher calling. Did they give you a citizenship? Free college education?
I am not rich, but I am strongly against blaming rich for everything. I will deal with my nastiness and you, please, deal with your vocabulary - you talk like a prostitute. Patients do not like that and you would have to pay for you enormous student loans and taxes for your fellow refugees somehow

Again, your assumptions about my current financial situation are hilarious. Nowhere did I say that I am currently poor.

Also, I'm not the one who went to the army, another poster is.

And trust me, I'd rather sound like a prostitute than sound like you. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Bifenthrin and oralcare123

Really get along...

I would like to see them face to face in an alleyway.

" you talk like a prostitute"

Lol

That's the first!

Again, your assumptions about my current financial situation are hilarious. Nowhere did I say that I am currently poor.

Also, I'm not the one who went to the army, another poster is.

And trust me, I'd rather sound like a prostitute than sound like you. :)
@oralcare123 I went into the Marine Corps, not Army. Trust me - there is a difference. I had my own reasons for doing it and yes, in part, it was a higher calling. They don't pay you much, but they do pay enough to raise a family once you gain some rank, if you're not too irresponsible. However, I find it astounding that you have such a crappy, entitled air about you, given your purported background. I have worked for literally everything I have. I AM currently poor because my wife and I decided to make a better life for ourselves and kids by going back to school when I got separated for my disability. She and I just graduated college together and now we're starting grad school together (not the same program). I've worked full time while doing this so I could make ends meet.

It's not as simple as lazy = poor; hardworking = rich.

@oralcare123 I went into the Marine Corps, not Army. Trust me - there is a difference. I had my own reasons for doing it and yes, in part, it was a higher calling. They don't pay you much, but they do pay enough to raise a family once you gain some rank, if you're not too irresponsible. However, I find it astounding that you have such a crappy, entitled air about you, given your purported background. I have worked for literally everything I have. I AM currently poor because my wife and I decided to make a better life for ourselves and kids by going back to school when I got separated for my disability. She and I just graduated college together and now we're starting grad school together (not the same program). I've worked full time while doing this so I could make ends meet.

It's not as simple as lazy = poor; hardworking = rich.
Agree, it is not, but at the same time it is not fair to say, that there were a lot of applicants from rich families, just because they are rich. It is also unfair to say, that because a person is poor, they are entitled for more, then a person from the middle class. Do you think I did not get pissed from your post? I am from the military family and do not like to hear, that they are underpayed. There is a choice after all, to be there or not

I used to think that here in America, every person has the equal chance at success because there are government grants and student loans that help a person gain an education, regardless of his/her economic background. I too came to this country as a political refugee when I was 16 years old. My parents and I came here with nothing and now, 29 years later, I own 4 ortho offices. Later on I realized that it was wrong for me to say that "if I can do it, so can any person with a brain." I was poor but I had what many of the kids my age didn't have: a stable family and 2 wonderful parents. Children can't really choose their parents. Many of them were born to broken families, where the parents fail to serve as good role models for their kids. Broken families have robbed the children of their chances for future success. Good parenting is very important in shaping one's future.

It's actually not bad thing to have a poor childhood. Growing up poor gave me 2 important qualities (there are more but I can only think of 2 right now) that help contribute to my business success:
1. Being self-reliant. When things break around the house, I learn to fix them myself instead of paying the handyman. When I set up my own office, I also tried to do many of the handyman works myself to save money. Being self-reliant is more than just learning how to fix things. If I want something, I have to get it myself instead of relying on someone else to hand it to me.
2. Having lower expectation. I am ok with getting associate jobs that pay less than what my colleagues get. Because I was less picky, it wasn't too hard for me to find jobs after graduation. When I have my own office, I target mostly low income patients, the type of patients that most other private ortho offices ignore. I am ok with charging my patients 1/2 the national average fee. I learn to keep my overhead low so can pass on the low fee to my patients.

A lot of great posts so far. I really enjoy reading them. I agree with both sides of the argument. From reading many of his posts, I think Oralcare123 is a good person and great dentist and he has contributed a lot of good things to this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I also think the "hunt" if you could call it that was extremely unsporting. I'm not in favor of trophy hunting per se, but I don't find anything glamorous or admirable within canned hunts of animals accustomed to humans being lured onto private land neighboring protected national parks or animal reservation areas. You know those people who complain about how we give kids too much praise and meaningless participation trophies? In terms of merit and skill, hunts like these are essentially the same thing except adults are buying these for themselves and calling it an accomplishment. There's an OB-GYN dude based out of Pittsburgh too pulling the same **** and I don't see the same vitriol being thrown at OBs right now because ooh, babies! I'm partially kidding but I don't think there are any other professions where there is a musical featuring an infamous song sung by a sadistic character in that line of work...

Speaking of unsporting, how about that privilege? Must be nice to talk about personal responsibility when one has not inherited the burdens of their ancestors.

Reactions: 1 users