Washington State c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So have any non WHICHE , Out of staters been offered interviews yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, I'm from Connecticut. Got my email 12/1 and my letter in the mail Saturday. I think somebody emailed or called and they said that this was only the first wave. I'm pretty sure all of us were tier 1 so I think they just haven't gotten through the other tiers yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on, Tier 2!! Let's get it done this week! lol.

Reactions: 6 users
I was wondering why you would guess this. lol. It seems random.
Last year the first time OOS people heard was on Tuesday 12/09, two people said they got an email on Thursday 12/11, and the next person to get an invite got it on Tuesday 12/16.
I figure if nobody has heard here since Tuesday 12/01, then they'll send out the next ones the following Tuesday 12/08.
So it's not that random of a guess. But I'll still check every hour or so like everyone else haha

Reactions: 4 users
Just confirmed my interview date and time. I'm OOS interviewing 01/28 at 9:30. Anyone else interviewing 01/28?

I just got mine today. I'm OOS and interviewing on 01/ 25 ^_^. Can't wait! good luck to everyone

I just got mine today. I'm OOS and interviewing on 01/ 25 ^_^. Can't wait! good luck to everyone
Did you just get the invite ? or the interview schedule. I am OOS, tier 1 and haven't heard anything yet, so a bit panicky

Did you just get the invite ? or the interview schedule. I am OOS, tier 1 and haven't heard anything yet, so a bit panicky
Don't panic I'm sure you will hear from them soon <3. And I just got the interview scheduled I got the invite on December 1.

Last year the first time OOS people heard was on Tuesday 12/09, two people said they got an email on Thursday 12/11, and the next person to get an invite got it on Tuesday 12/16.
I figure if nobody has heard here since Tuesday 12/01, then they'll send out the next ones the following Tuesday 12/08.
So it's not that random of a guess. But I'll still check every hour or so like everyone else haha

That makes so much sense! Thanks for the dose of logic.

I just got my letter of rejection today. I was tier 1 in both cumulative GPA (3.6) and GRE scores (Quant: 86%, Verbal: 92%). So, I'm not sure what went wrong. I guess they're just getting a lot of applications that are very competitive.
Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my letter of rejection today. I was tier 1 in both cumulative GPA (3.6) and GRE scores (Quant: 86%, Verbal: 92%). So, I'm not sure what went wrong. I guess they're just getting a lot of applications that are very competitive.
What is your experience like? Do you have at least 1000hrs of vet experience?

I don't know if this will make you feel better at all . . . but OOS odds are SCARY. I'm sorry you were rejected. :(

Same here. I'm tier 1 as well

Got my rejection in the mail today. Tier 1 in all categories, over 1ooo exp hours. No portal update or email.

OOS Tier 1

I have an interview on Jan 27 at 1pm. Anyone else have that day? :)

I don't get their criteria. They reject some tier 1, then interview and accept some tier 2, reject some tier 2, then interview and accept some tier 3, and reject most everyone else.

Tiers are only one small part of it. I assume letters of rec, experience (quality and quantity and variety), personal statement, answers on the supplemental, etc all play a role in their decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
I really have no idea how LORs and experience factor into your ranking. Supposedly the specialty you indicate interest in is also considered (so they don't end up with a class of only SA people, etc), but I don't know how highly.

I said before that OOS odds are scary, and it's true. I'm competing against ~40 other applicants. The OOS pool usually has between 700 and 800 some students. I don't know if I would have been offered an interview if I wasn't applying for a contract seat.

Yeah, I had a decent amount of experience, ~1,200 hours but it was all really boring (mostly small animal). I'm trying to get a job to change that up for the next time around! I know that there's still time to hear back from other places but I'd really love to do some self improvement and end up in a place that I REALLY want to go to :)
It is confusing how it all ties in and how they look at everything. Just odd that they phrase it as you having a very decent chance of at least interviewing at a higher tier.

OOS odds are very scary. I'm not IS anywhere either, so that is a bummer.

I'm OOS and interviewing 1/29 in the afternoon. Anyone else this day?

OOS odds are hard everywhere, but particularly for places like Washington and Davis where there are not only IS applicants, but WICHE applicants that get a certain number of seats. I really have no idea how they determined who got interviews but if anyone wants to know my stats/background, feel free to PM me. I'm OOS and got an interview. I know eventually there will be "accepted" stats, but most of us on this site are not the most patient people in the world when it comes to getting more info about our applications. We mostly stalk SDN looking like this :nailbiting:

OOS odds are hard everywhere, but particularly for places like Washington and Davis where there are not only IS applicants, but WICHE applicants that get a certain number of seats. I really have no idea how they determined who got interviews but if anyone wants to know my stats/background, feel free to PM me. I'm OOS and got an interview. I know eventually there will be "accepted" stats, but most of us on this site are not the most patient people in the world when it comes to getting more info about our applications. We mostly stalk SDN looking like this :nailbiting:
yup!

I don't get their criteria. They reject some tier 1, then interview and accept some tier 2, reject some tier 2, then interview and accept some tier 3, and reject most everyone else.

Everyone is ranked in tier 1, 2, or 3. There isn't "most everyone else" outside those tiers. We're all in the tier that gives us the best ranking. The tiers are rankings of their academic considerations. Must because someone was across the board tier one academically, their essays, letters, experience could have all sucked.

My apologies, I misread tier 2 to be tier 3 and thought that tier 3 had a minimum GPA, so some people wouldn't make it into their tiers. Clearly I'm a little extra nervous. I do have a question. I see that the consensus is that having one of the tier 1 criteria makes you tier 1, but how exactly do they look at GRE scores. Most schools don't care much for the writing scores, so my GRE is considered decent with 81% verbal and 83% quant but I only got a 4 on the writing and it drags me to like a 73.3% which of course is out of tier 1. Will they see my GRE as a 73.3% or will they look at the scores that I got for verbal and quant and take those into consideration?

My apologies, I misread tier 2 to be tier 3 and thought that tier 3 had a minimum GPA, so some people wouldn't make it into their tiers. Clearly I'm a little extra nervous. I do have a question. I see that the consensus is that having one of the tier 1 criteria makes you tier 1, but how exactly do they look at GRE scores. Most schools don't care much for the writing scores, so my GRE is considered decent with 81% verbal and 83% quant but I only got a 4 on the writing and it drags me to like a 73.3% which of course is out of tier 1. Will they see my GRE as a 73.3% or will they look at the scores that I got for verbal and quant and take those into consideration?
From their website: *** GRE percentile is calculated by averaging the percentile rank from the three sections of the general test (composite score). If an application contains more than one set of GRE scores, the committee will consider the highest section score. Only GRE scores received by the admissions office at the time of initial academic evaluation will contribute to Tier assignment.

I guess the question was more geared towards someone who either goes there or has interviewed with them already. I've seen the website, but my question is once they've averaged those scores, do they no longer consider them individually for your application? Not in regards to tier assignment but for everything else. Would an open-file interview mean they have GRE=73.3% in front of them or my scores? I find it hard to believe that they would average those together for anything other than tier assignment

I got my rejection letter yesterday in the mail. No email or portal update. I was tier 1 in all categories but the GRE score, have about 3,000-4,000 hours in SA veterinary hospital, around 100 or so large animal experience hours. I am just finishing up my undergrads in Animal Science/Pre-veterinary science. Even had an LOR from a WSU alumni....not sure what happened here...

I guess the question was more geared towards someone who either goes there or has interviewed with them already. I've seen the website, but my question is once they've averaged those scores, do they no longer consider them individually for your application? Not in regards to tier assignment but for everything else. Would an open-file interview mean they have GRE=73.3% in front of them or my scores? I find it hard to believe that they would average those together for anything other than tier assignment

Because the supplemental application shows the separate components of the GRE, I'm assuming the ad com can see those scores as well.

I got my rejection letter yesterday in the mail. No email or portal update. I was tier 1 in all categories but the GRE score, have about 3,000-4,000 hours in SA veterinary hospital, around 100 or so large animal experience hours. I am just finishing up my undergrads in Animal Science/Pre-veterinary science. Even had an LOR from a WSU alumni....not sure what happened here...

I'm sorry. :(

There is no quota for WICHE anywhere as far as I know. WICHE and OOS compete for the same OOS spots, just depending on what state you are in, you may get funding.
I don't know of there being any quota, but I believe there is a priority for WICHE students to receive those slots. If nothing else, this is indicated by the fact that WICHE students were offered acceptances before OOS were even offered interviews. Obviously if they don't get funding then they are competing as traditional OOS, but those applications were looked at and decisions made before OOS.

Everyone is ranked in tier 1, 2, or 3. There isn't "most everyone else" outside those tiers. We're all in the tier that gives us the best ranking. The tiers are rankings of their academic considerations. Must because someone was across the board tier one academically, their essays, letters, experience could have all sucked.
Do you think if we called and asked they would tell us officially which tier they have put us in?

You should be able to tell which tier you are in based on this: http://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/admissions-criteria

The issue (I think) is where you rank withIN your tier, as well as all the other factors that are less quantifiable which might bump someone up or down (life experience, letters of rec, etc.). I doubt if you call you'll get much more information, at least until the end when you can ask for a file review, but you can certainly try.

For those who are flying to their interviews, are you flying into Spokane?

If you fly into the Pullman airport, be aware that flights are occasionally redirected to Lewiston when they can't land here. Lewiston is about an hour from Pullman. Spokane is further - 2 hours, depending on weather.

I was wondering, from people who have experience with Pullman in the winter, is it better to fly or drive in? My interview is February 1st.

I was wondering, from people who have experience with Pullman in the winter, is it better to fly or drive in? My interview is February 1st.

I take it you're coming in from the west side?

I'm in Seattle, and I'm planning on driving over. Partly due to cost, but also because just from friends that have made the drive during that time of year often, it shouldn't be *too* bad on the pass. I just plan on leaving early in the day, so even if it's bad I'll at least be driving in daylight.

I'm driving from Vancouver, WA. I've been debating, because I'm not the best at winter driving.

I'm driving from Vancouver, WA. I've been debating, because I'm not the best at winter driving.

That's where I'm from! People in Seattle always think I'm Canadian when I say I'm from Vancouver :p

I think it just depends. I'm use to driving long distances by myself and winter driving, so I'm not that worried about it. But if I wasn't, I would fly even with the money. So if you can swing a flight, I'd say go for it.

I'm sure half way to Pullman I'll be wishing I had decided to fly when I've been sitting in the car for hours and I'm bored out of my mind :p

Awesome! I'm actually from Ridgefield, but I say Vancouver/Portland because more people know where that is. What day/ time is your intervew?

Yeah, Ridgefield is tiny and most people have no idea where it is.

I'm on the 2nd! I think at 1030?

From the Admissions Criteria webpage:
** GRE percentile is calculated by averaging the percentile rank from the three sections of the general test (composite score). If an application contains more than one set of GRE scores, the committee will consider the highest section score. Only GRE scores received by the admissions office at the time of initial academic evaluation will contribute to Tier assignment.

Edit: I see that someone else has already commented with the appropriate information. I would like to add, though, that generally speaking I would say that after deciding whether or not to grant you your interview, your GRE score (average or not) is less important. At that point, they're more interested in finding out what you're like as a person and trying to see if you'd be a good fit at WSU. So if you got an interview, don't worry too much about that stuff!

Last edited:
There is no quota for WICHE anywhere as far as I know. WICHE and OOS compete for the same OOS spots, just depending on what state you are in, you may get funding.
Hey there, I am a current WICHE student in the class of 2019, and had the same questions and confusion that you OOS'ers are having! To hopefully clarify some of the misconceptions, WICHE students are competing for WICHE specific seats only, these seats are counted separately from the OOS seats, so the stats that declare OOS seats should be a separate number from the WICHE seats given. However, it is also true that those accepted as WICHE students also receive an OOS seat in the event that they do not receive funding or decide to decline WICHE. Few students that apply as WICHE are going to reject funding and opt to take out thousands in loans, and there are few WICHE seats to begin with so I wouldn't be concerned if you are applying as strictly OOS. There's no WICHE quota per se but the total number of students is generally pretty low. As far as priority being given to WICHE, thats untrue, I know of OOS students who also received early acceptance. That is based I believe on strength of application and ranking in the tier. Conversely, I also know of WICHE's that interviewed and found out about their acceptance/rejection in the spring. Its all a game of stats and guessing. The numbers will not reveal whether you get in or not at WSU, they can give you an idea of your odds but don't guarantee anything.

Reactions: 3 users
For those who are flying to their interviews, are you flying into Spokane?
I'm flying into Spokane from the east coast. Flights into Pullman are expensive and the shortest flight times I found were 12-15 hours because of the layovers. I'm also over 25, so renting a car and driving in isn't a big deal. My interview is 1/26. I'm driving in 1/25 and leaving 1/27, so if anyone wants a ride to/from Spokane during those days, PM me!

I'm flying into Spokane from the east coast. Flights into Pullman are expensive and the shortest flight times I found were 12-15 hours because of the layovers. I'm also over 25, so renting a car and driving in isn't a big deal. My interview is 1/26. I'm driving in 1/25 and leaving 1/27, so if anyone wants a ride to/from Spokane during those days, PM me!
Thanks for the info! I will probably end up flying to Spokane and rent a car (also over 25). The main thing that concerns me is driving through possible snow/ice. I've never driven in winter weather! Guess I gotta learn at some point o_O