Watched Boston/NY Med and now I'm scared

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really? :eek:When I watch these type of shows I get freaking excited to one day be there. :D

+1
I watch these shows when I have a bad day!
If a show stresses you out how do you deal with real life?

Realize every specialty will have its stress in medicine. Starting to work as a psychiatric tech now. If you don't think the schizophrenic, bipolar, or (insert unpredictable mental disorder) patient with a questionable past, who now knows you name isn't stressful then think again.

Members don't see this ad.

+1
I watch these shows when I have a bad day!
If a show stresses you out how do you deal with real life?
Just a pre-med etc. etc., I'm sure that when you're in residency, or even medical school, you'll find these kinds of situations stressful and scary at times.

I enjoy the show too for what it is, but even I recognize that "saving lives" can (and probably should if one's new!) be harrowing.

Just a pre-med etc. etc., I'm sure that when you're in residency, or even medical school, you'll find these kinds of situations stressful and scary at times.

I enjoy the show too for what it is, but even I recognize that "saving lives" can (and probably should if one's new!) be harrowing.

I like your signature. That is all.

Members don't see this ad :)
You watch shows like that and then question going to Medical school? You do realize that there is a reason they show ER Doctors and not Radiologists, right? If you don't like fast-paced, stressful environments, then don't work in the ER.

I also watch these shows because they make me so damn excited for the future. also, as someone with a huge interest in trauma and EM, I love the newest show out right now. if you haven't watched, tune in to Vanderbilt MDs. extremely entertaining

I also watch these shows because they make me so damn excited for the future. also, as someone with a huge interest in trauma and EM, I love the newest show out right now. if you haven't watched, tune in to Vanderbilt MDs. extremely entertaining

:thumbup: Definitely enjoying this.

The first episode is on youtube.

Reactions: 2 users
:thumbup: Definitely enjoying this.

The first episode is on youtube.

I've seen them all, and I actually think this is my favorite series of all the reality medical shows. They're on the USA website, as well as optimum on demand if you have it. Enjoy!

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any resources for those of us interested in "quieter" specialties like neurology and IM? :) I feel like surgery and EM gets the main stuff in these videos! :)

Are there any resources for those of us interested in "quieter" specialties like neurology and IM? :) I feel like surgery and EM gets the main stuff in these videos! :)

You can google and read blogs of residents and attendings in neuro and IM.

Reactions: 1 users

Camera Rolling...
Radiologist: Looks at scan, dictates scan, repeats 100-150 times a day...
Hospitalist: Write notes, write more notes, consult specialty service, write orders, and social work... :meh:
Neurologist: All I'm going to say is read Ibee Grumpy's blog if you're interested.
http://drgrumpyinthehouse.blogspot.com

But seriously, although these shows are cool (Vanderbilt MD is a bit over dramatic and reality show like, just by watching it for 3 minutes) a lot of medicine is tedious and not so action packed. Just keep that in mind. These shows are filmed over years to get these exciting moments.
Don't get me wrong, they're great for motivation when you need it!

Reactions: 1 user

There's a few IM residents on Vanderbilt MDs.

Wow, I just finished Doctor's Diaries. Holy ****, this is depressing (for reasons I hadn't expected, too!).

Is it just me, or does watching Vanderbilt MDs feel like watching MTV True Life or something? :p I'm starting to like and dislike different personalities on there, much as I would with an MTV show, haha. Erin on Vanderbilt MDs isn't the ugliest doctor alive! ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, I just finished Doctor's Diaries. Holy ****, this is depressing (for reasons I hadn't expected, too!).

I completely agree! It was very very cool how they did the documentary over so many years and to see the progression of their lives but a lot of the outcomes were sad.

On a sidenote...anyone else obsessed with Hopkins? I LOVED that show on ABC when I was in High School. And before that, the Doctors series they did with those physicians from Harvard. It's interesting to see their lives progress! Most of them get divorced which isn't great, but very realistic imo

So I'm watching Hopkins and in episode 2 (spoiler alert), a woman gets a lung transplant. The first time she is called to the hospital, it turns out the lungs aren't good enough and they don't use them so they send her home. But now I'm wondering who pays for all of that if the procedure doesn't even occur. They still charge the patient for all that prep and the helicopter flight and everything, right? I wonder how much all of that plus the actual transplant costs!