Waterloo 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They said the Admissions Committee would only be meeting in early March to review all the applications and make decisions. Thus, it's likely they only started on Monday so we've got a little while before anything will be known.

At my interview they did say decisions should be made by mid-March and they'd be sending out acceptance letters in the mail as well as e-mails around the same time. Whether those e-mails just say "a decision has been made" or "congratulations, you're in!", I don't know.

Waiting is the worst....

Hey when I went to the interview, they said they would be meeting together and reviewing applicants on March 14th. Not sure if anybody else got the same info.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey when I went to the interview, they said they would be meeting together and reviewing applicants on March 14th. Not sure if anybody else got the same info.

no they didn't tell me this at my interview, but looking at last year's info, people had their interviews at the end of November and found out by early March if they got in (through Quest I think), so I think for this year, since our interviews were later, then we would find out around the end of March o_O

but the suspense is killing me as well !!! AHHHH

The last couple of years Quest was updated the first Friday in March so I will be checking tomorrow.

I am so tired of waiting and I want to know if I am going to school next year or do I have to start looking for a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe University of Waterloo uses numerical grades only so I would not be surprised if they just averaged out every grade by percent rather than on a point scale.

I'm sure they have a way of normalizing the grades, but personally, I converted my GPA through the OSMAS system first even though its for med school.

I see, thank you! I was just confused looking at everyone's posted gpa's here but not knowing how they had calculated it on the 4.0 scale. Would most people here convert their GPA to OMSAS for referencing on this kind of forum?

The last couple of years Quest was updated the first Friday in March so I will be checking tomorrow.

I am so tired of waiting and I want to know if I am going to school next year or do I have to start looking for a job.

according to my extensive lurking

2013 cycle: second Monday of March
2012 cycle: second Thursday of March
2011 cycle: first Friday of March

Reactions: 1 user
I see, thank you! I was just confused looking at everyone's posted gpa's here but not knowing how they had calculated it on the 4.0 scale. Would most people here convert their GPA to OMSAS for referencing on this kind of forum?

I guess it depends on the person and OSMAS is for medical schools... I had it easy because UofT uses the 4.0 scale, all I had to to were to make minor adjustments since 85 - 89 was a 3.9 OSMAS and not a 4.0.

QUEST has already made it into my google homepage since I've been visiting it so often hahahaha. I wish they told us sooner so we could start planning ahead.

Good luck everyone! Let me know if you guys have any questions.

When I converted mine, I had just used the conversion chart on McMaster's website (http://studentsuccess.mcmaster.ca/students/tools/gpa-conversion-chart.html) but I also found this link for the OMSAS chart (http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf). It's not an exact conversion but it's what I used.

Is anybody else making Quest their homepage right now? :p

Reactions: 2 users
How did you manage to create a Quest account? I tried using my Waterloo ID that was given by emails but it didn't work.

I believe when you get to the quest login page, you have to

"
First-time users
  • Go to the WatIAM website to activate your user ID and password."
then you can log into Quest :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's only 1pm in Ontario. They didn't send out the invites for interviews until 4:15pm that day. They've still got some time! I'm hoping....

Its 4:20... still says application. Guess it'll be another suspenseful weekend

Hey Xraychump,

I was wondering if you know people in your entering class that got in after 3 years of undergrad? :O I heard its rare for Waterloo to accept people so early in their undergrad. Just wondering : )

thanks!

Hey guys - I know it must be a long weekend for your guys, but hang in there and I'm sure you guy will get your answer soon!

I got this question in my inbox, but I thought it would be useful for other students as well.

There are quite a few students who got into Waterloo after third year in my class. Off the top of my head I can say there most likely about 4-5 student with a gen degree. Something I did notice of those 3rd year entry students, the majority are from Waterloo originally, meaning they had done their undergraduate studies at Waterloo.

In contrast, there also quite a few mature students this year as well. As I am one of them :), there are about 4-5 of us as well who have work experience and have pursued optometry as a second career.

I hope that helps and Good Luck !!!!!! Message me if you guys any other needs or questions, always willing to help!

Hey guys, I have a question. When you log in on Quest, do you see your OAT scores under Test Summary?
When I wrote my OAT, I chose Waterloo Optometry as one of my options but I don't see my OAT scores in my Quest account. It reads as "No Test Data Submitted". Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I have a question. When you log in on Quest, do you see your OAT scores under Test Summary?
When I wrote my OAT, I chose Waterloo Optometry as one of my options but I don't see my OAT scores in my Quest account. It reads as "No Test Data Submitted". Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Mine says the same thing!

Same here but no worries! They wouldn't have given interviews to us if they didn't get those scores

Will tomorrow be the day? I can't take this waiting game any more!

Reactions: 1 users
My blood pressure probably rises when I log onto QUEST and then drops when I see application... then multiply that process by 100. I don't think I can take it too...

Reactions: 2 users
My blood pressure probably rises when I log onto QUEST and then drops when I see application... then multiply that process by 100. I don't think I can take it too...
:( hahahaha this is EXACTLY me. Thanks for putting it into words

What are some of your backup plans, if any?

Sorry I've been lurking, but.. results are out!

I just saw and leaped out of my bed. I'm in! Good luck everyone!!!!

So if you're not accepted is it supposed to say application still? :( sigh maybe next uear

So if you're not accepted is it supposed to say application still? :( sigh maybe next uear

Not necessarily! There's a chance you may be on wait-list or perhaps Quest accounts are not updated all at once? We'll have to wait until the e-mails are sent out to know for sure.

ADMIT!! I can hardly believe this is actually real!

Ahh mine says Admit too! Good luck to everyone :) :)

Me too! So excited to met all of you guys!

Hey Guys! We are the orientation committee for the Class of 2018! Huge congratulations to those that got in! We have a facebook group set up for you guys to meet each other/organize housing, post any questions about coming to Waterloo, etc. Please join only if you have been accepted as the information will only be relevant to those coming to Waterloo this September. Can't wait to meet you guys, and welcome to UW Optometry!

Brendan, Nancy & Amanda
Optometry 2018 Orientation Co-Chairs

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1408609739397849/

congrats to everyone who got in! I'm planning to apply next year but just wondering stats of people who got in. gpa,oat scores, extra curricular activities .Thanks in advance and congrats again!!!

Hey, a couple things! First, is anybody able to see the group from that link? It doesn't work when I click it. Also, where do we find our offer of admission conditions? Or do we have to wait for that to me mailed/emailed?

BongBong, good luck with next years application , as for stats for the applicants they are posted all through out this thread and through previous years as well. The main post has a link to previous years threads where people have posted their stats.

Optogirl17
I'll let know Amanda/Brendan/Nancy know about the facebook group! Congratulations again on your acceptance!

Hey, a couple things! First, is anybody able to see the group from that link? It doesn't work when I click it. Also, where do we find our offer of admission conditions? Or do we have to wait for that to me mailed/emailed?

I haven't tried to check the group yet but the conditions of offer will be in the acceptance package we get in the mail.

Is the condition just to pass your courses? Mine has "completed" checked off and initiated isn't touched

Hey guys, it's me again. So I'm from Alberta and not quite familiar with how Quest works. Can someone describe what I should be looking for when I log into Quest. Thanks.

I currently see no decision has been made yet. Is that a polite way of saying I didn't get in?

Is the condition just to pass your courses? Mine has "completed" checked off and initiated isn't touched

I think that's a legend so mine has the orange "initiated" diamond in the table below. From what I know, the conditions would be to complete your semester (if you're in school) and maintain your grades. I know some schools in the States will give offers of acceptance on the condition that applicants rewrite the OAT test and do better if the scores were a little low. I really hope that's not the case.

I got too excited to read for that half day. When I looked back on it I was like "ohhhh...". I'm so excited to find out what's next and meeting the other 89 students!

So I guess we have to maintain our grades but I'm pretty sure they won't give us a number after doing some searching. Not sure about the OAT rewrite but that sounds pretty terrible.Your acceptance would depend on that one re-take...

----------

As a personal thing, I remember when I was interested in optometry and wanted to know how/what to compare myself to so I found myself here creeping every UWaterloo thread for three years. So to keep the tradition going:

Current Education level: 4th year of B.Sc. Honours in Neuroscience and Chemistry @ U of T
OAT score: 370 TS/ 360 AA
GPA: 3.83 (out of 4.00)
Optometry Experience: Shadowed one OD
EC: Intro to Chemistry Lab TA, Lab Seminar Leader, Chemistry tutor, 1.5 years research in Alzheimer's, 7 years of karate, summer job at a geriatric place etc.
Other: Thesis in Undergrad Chemistry

I really don't think they'll have the OAT rewrite as a condition. I think it'll solely be maintaining grades.

Here are my stats again. I am currently working as a TA for my university but these are all the things I had on my application. I only got the TA positions after I'd sent my application so Waterloo didn't know about them.

Current Education level: 4th year of B.Sc. Honours in Neuroscience at Carleton University
OAT score: 330 TS/ 330 AA
GPA: 11.15 out of 12.00 (about 3.90 out of 4.00)
Optometry Experience: Shadowed two ODs and opticians for a day
EC: Worked in the Registrar's Office of my university for over a year / volunteer with the CNIB / Dean's List / Neuro society at my university / Tae Kwon-Do for six years (2nd degree black belt though I haven't trained in a while) / taught English in France for a summer